• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

A five day chart shows all related stocks and the Nas basically in sync. Disney is actually running better than Warner and Netflix and within a point or 2 of Sony and the NASDAQ.

View attachment 675984
It is a perfect storm. Inflation, war, record energy costs, rising borrowing rates and an impending recession.

The Fed doesn't announce the quarters GDP numbers till July 28. Not sure we are even close to a bottom here.

EDIT: The 10yr yield hit 3.35% which is the highest since 2011.

Last edited:

I don't understand why people insist on comparing them to Netflix they are nowhere near the same.
That is actually Disney's (or at least Iger's) stated goal when D+ was rolled out - to have the WS analysts apply the same high earnings multiple that Netflix had...before the free money stopped flowing that is.

That is actually Disney's (or at least Iger's) stated goal when D+ was rolled out - to have the WS analysts apply the same high earnings multiple that Netflix had...before the free money stopped flowing that is.
When Netflix starts doing ocean cruises, operating amusement parks, and owning/operating movie production studios, THEN they should have equal comps.

Comparing the streaming aspects of each company makes some sense. I don't understand why Wall street only focus's on D+ numbers and ignores ESPN+ and Hulu. They are all streaming services.

In the end, comparing them as like for like companies is irresponsible.

Comparing the streaming aspects of each company makes some sense. I don't understand why Wall street only focus's on D+ numbers and ignores ESPN+ and Hulu. They are all streaming services.

In the end, comparing them as like for like companies is irresponsible.
True, and it is just the streaming part of the company that should be compared on a multiple basis. I included it in my comparison chart because WS treats them in a similar way - i.e. when Netflix got beat up for subsriber losses, disney took a slightly less beating that same day

For company comparisons it's hard becuase there is nothing else like Disney - No company has old media + streaming + movies + parks + hotels + cruises + sports +consumer products + a few I'm not thinking of. Comcast has some, Warner has some, Sony has some, Netflix has some. There's no perfect comparison but the intent of my chart was just to show that it is not a Disney specific drop.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/14/6-ke...k-pulling-the-trigger-on-top-exec-peter-rice/

6 key flash points that led to Disney CEO Bob Chapek pulling the trigger on top exec Peter Rice
By Sophie Mellor
June 14, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
  • Too highly compensated?
  • Brought in Fox blood
  • Cultural tension with Mouse lifers
  • Budgeting questions
  • Renewed 2 struggling shows
  • The potential successor
I guess I expect to much from a business site but this reporter also tried to blame recent Disney stock dips on the Rice departure. I mean have they freaken looked at the market lately??

I guess I expect to much from a business site but this reporter also tried to blame recent Disney stock dips on the Rice departure. I mean have they freaken looked at the market lately??
Writer's gotta write, even if it makes little sense, lol. It is interesting to see some more information dribbling out on the why of Rice's dismissal.

Writer's gotta write, even if it makes little sense, lol. It is interesting to see some more information dribbling out on the why of Rice's dismissal.
So true, especially in the click bait world we live in.

It is very interesting to see that there were many things that led to his dismissal, unlike the initial reports that made it sound like it was a hasty decision. I always thought there would be some culture clashes as Fox was fully integrated.

So true, especially in the click bait world we live in.

It is very interesting to see that there were many things that led to his dismissal, unlike the initial reports that made it sound like it was a hasty decision. I always thought there would be some culture clashes as Fox was fully integrated.
There is always multiple dimensions to every story ... so yeah, I also took the initial reports with a grain of salt. Its real nice and dramatic to paint the picture that Rice was brought in to Chapek's office and he was dismissed "for no reason" - at that level - there is always a reason. Clearly, Rice's replacement (Ms. Walden) was very gracious to her previous boss (Rice), but she was absolutely gushing about her new boss (Chapek) - so something was up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/ret...nt3percent-decline-hammered-by-inflation.html

Retail sales posted unexpected 0.3% decline in May as inflation hammers consumers
Published Wed, Jun 15 20229:01 AM EDT
Jeff Cox@jeff.cox.7528@JeffCoxCNBCcom

Key Points
  • Retail and food service spending posted a surprise 0.3% decline in May, below the estimate for a 0.1% increase.
  • Spending at gas stations led but was offset by declines elsewhere, according to numbers that are not adjusted for inflation.
And to counter that, theme park demand has seen no impact yet...

Universal theme park demand is exceeding capacity despite inflation, executive says​

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...ng-capacity-despite-inflation-executive-says/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter