Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Alternative Winery visit option

I know some were disappointed to see that the excursion to the Ceraudo winery in Crotone was already sold out (myself included) so I was looking into some alternatives. @Cousin Orville already mentioned that he contacted that winery about doing a private tour there which is great as an alternative.

I did some other searching for winery tours from the ports we are stopping at and there were a few from the port of Messina in Sicily. I reached out to a few and heard back from one so far, and the below is the info on two tour options that seems the most interesting that would take us to a nice winery, provide lunch and let us see other parts of Sicily as well - one is more the landscape and one is more seeing different towns

For both, they would pick us up and drop us off at the port and would include the car service and an English speaking guide. They would be full day tours and thus take the bulk of the time at Sicily
Cost (same for both) for the car is below and then at the winery is 20 Euro per person for the wine tasting and lunch:
- up to 4 people 300 Euro
- up to 6 people 380 Euro
- up to 8 people 440 Euro

Etna Grant Tour:
- Pick up at port and drive to Mount Etna (one of the most active volcanoes in the world) passing several Sicilian towns and old lava flow
- at 2,000 meters will stop and walk to "Silvestri" craters to see latest new lava flows
- Stop at local family honey farm to taste honey, olive oils, pastries, etc.
- drive scenic route "Mare Neve" or "Sea Moutain" overlooking Ionian sea
- Get to Gambino Winery for the wine tasting and Sicilian typical lunch
- After lunch, visit the village of Castiglione d Sicilia and then stop at the Alcantara gorges
- Drive us back to port

Taormina and the Winery on the Slopes of Etna:
- Pick up at port and first visit sea port village of Giardina Naxos.
- Then reach Taormina with a stop at "Belvedere Square" which overlooks the MEssina Coast Line, etc.
- Thne drive to medieval village of Castelmolo, strolling through it's narrow streets and seeing wonderful sea views - can also visit there an antique 13th century Arab castle
- Then to center of Taormina and have approx 1 hour of free time to enjoy on our own
- Then drive to the Gambino Winery for the wine tasting and typical Sicilian lunch
- Drive us back to port

As mentioned, I am still waiting to hear about other options, but wanted to see if any interest in something like the above. Looking at trip advisor the tours get good reviews (and positive views on the wine specifically as well)

Seems interesting. I would probably be more interested in the latter one as I really would like to see The Greek amphitheater Taormina. Just for some reason after watching the BBC video Mount Etna exploding and Injuring tourists, I’m not as interested in going there but I will look at both. More importantly and coming from this New Yorker: I wonder the relationship between this winery and the Gambino crime family in New York lol

Last edited:
A few questions for the group:

1) For Venice I booked the included tour plus the extension to the Rezznico extension. Thoughts on skipping the extension and booking a tour not through Viking for the doges palace and st marks? That might give me a bit of time to also stop by @OKW Lover glass store recommendation.

2) What are people’s plans on Easter Sunday if still in town?

3) how to get from the Westin to the airport on the 2nd in a water based city?

I would try to see the Doge's Palace and St Mark's. It's impressive.

Here are my St Mark's Easter notes:

10:30am Solemn Mass
http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/calendario-liturgico/festivita-con-il-patriarca/?lang=en

Entrance is through the left.
http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/calendario-liturgico/orari-messe/?lang=en

Dress appropriately (cover shoulders and avoid big camera)
Times listed ahead. http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/calendario-liturgico/orari-messe/?lang=en

We'll probably go there. I don't know how early to arrive though. I would guess 30-45min ahead to hopefully get a seat. Eventually it's just standing room. Most of Venice looks like it's closed down on Easter.

This will be our first cruise. I'm not entirely sure how transportation on port days works. If we want to explore a port on our own (say, Crotone), will the cruise provide transportation from the port to the closest major city? Is that something we have to arrange?

And if we decide to do a non-Viking tour, how does transportation work for that? Do companies generally meet you at the port, or would we have to get our own transportation to the tour pick-up location? How do we figure out how much time to budget for non-Viking cruises?

(I know these are really basic questions, but this is an entirely new kind of travel for us. We're used to picking one city and using a carefully-chosen hotel as home base to explore. The port-to-city thing is throwing us for a loop. Thanks in advance for any insight!)

Usually private guides will meet you at the port. They'll ask when this ship is scheduled to leave. I'm paranoid and usually arrange to get back to the ship at least an hour prior to the all aboard time. It should be said if you were to miss the all aboard time, the ship will leave without you. Having said that, these private guides are typically very good and have reputations to uphold. We've taken many private tours in Europe and have never had an issue.

I agree with Kristy, (khertz), that you should definitely do the Doge's palace once since the Italy Pavilion at Epcot uses this area as its inspiration. The only problem that I see with any of these tours near St Marks square is that we will be doing the included tours on Good Friday which may limit some access especially at the church.

We'll need dinner on Easter so keep us posted. We can have our own version of the Last Supper since it will be our final formal meal of the trip.

Chris

Alternative Winery visit option

Taormina and the Winery on the Slopes of Etna:
- Pick up at port and first visit sea port village of Giardina Naxos.
- Then reach Taormina with a stop at "Belvedere Square" which overlooks the MEssina Coast Line, etc.
- Thne drive to medieval village of Castelmolo, strolling through it's narrow streets and seeing wonderful sea views - can also visit there an antique 13th century Arab castle
- Then to center of Taormina and have approx 1 hour of free time to enjoy on our own
- Then drive to the Gambino Winery for the wine tasting and typical Sicilian lunch
- Drive us back to port

Seems interesting. I would probably be more interested in the latter one as I really would like to see The Greek amphitheater Taormina. Just for some reason after watching the BBC video Mount Etna exploding and Injuring tourists, I’m not as interested in going there but I will look at both. More importantly and coming from this New Yorker: I wonder the relationship between this winery and the Gambino crime family in New York lol

Kate and I would be interested in this one as well. Gambino winery looks very nice on tripadvisor, and I too would like to see the Greek amphitheater in Taormina.

I agree with Kristy, (khertz), that you should definitely do the Doge's palace once since the Italy Pavilion at Epcot uses this area as its inspiration. The only problem that I see with any of these tours near St Marks square is that we will be doing the included tours on Good Friday which may limit some access especially at the church.

We'll need dinner on Easter so keep us posted. We can have our own version of the Last Supper since it will be our final formal meal of the trip.

Chris
@khertz after your post I looked at the included tour. I think it just a tour of st marks sq. Don’t think it acutely goes inside. :(. I’ve contacted dark Rome to see if their tour which does go inside is affected by the Good Friday closure.

@christannj looking forward to our next spritz. As you all know I am a foodie. There are total of 8 Michelin restaurants for 2018 in the metro Venice area four of which are located near where most of us are staying. I will keep people informed when I hear back when I hear back. If people are interested in something like this please let me know so I get an idea of a headcount.

@christannj looking forward to our next spritz. As you all know I am a foodie. There are total of 8 Michelin restaurants for 2018 in the metro Venice area four of which are located near where most of us are staying. I will keep people informed when I hear back when I hear back. If people are interested in something like this please let me know so I get an idea of a headcount.

Me :yay:

So newbie question...Saturday the 24th when we all get to the ship. Do most people arrive earlier in the day? We definitely don't want to miss out getting to meet and get to know everyone if that is a traditional thing the first day. But if everyone kind of just arrives whenever we're going to stay and play in Rome until late in the evening.

I emailed the winery directly and it sounded like they would be open to set up a private tasting. I was also asking about lunch reservations - they have a Michelin star restaurant, but unfortunately it's closed. Anyway, if a group of us want to do the winery on our own, we'd just have to figure out transportation. Maybe there are taxis that are easily available.

@met19 The Forum/Colosseum tour looks very good and it gets strong reviews on tripadvisor. I like that it's led by a historian.
We also were disappointed that the winery tour was sold out and would be interested if you do set up a private wine tasting.

My husband and I would be interested in the Edna Tour, but if there is only interest in the Taormino tour we would be happy with that one. We just want to do a winery!

@met19 Definitely interested in dinner in Venice. Have you given Rome any thought?

I'm going to look tomorrow. But definitely thinking of dinner on Friday when we get back from Orvieto. That seems like a good day to dine. Are we thinking Michelin star again?

We also were disappointed that the winery tour was sold out and would be interested if you do set up a private wine tasting.

My husband and I would be interested in the Edna Tour, but if there is only interest in the Taormino tour we would be happy with that one. We just want to do a winery!

I would also be interested in the winery @ Crotone, but am very interested in the Taormin tour plus winery that @TheMaxRebo researched.

So newbie question...Saturday the 24th when we all get to the ship. Do most people arrive earlier in the day? We definitely don't want to miss out getting to meet and get to know everyone if that is a traditional thing the first day. But if everyone kind of just arrives whenever we're going to stay and play in Rome until late in the evening.
I don't think we are all planning on arriving at the ship at the same time. I'm sure there will be some coincidental meetings as various parties show up at times, but so far I know of nothing planned. More likely I'd guess we would first be meeting most folks at dinner that night.

Usually private guides will meet you at the port. They'll ask when this ship is scheduled to leave. I'm paranoid and usually arrange to get back to the ship at least an hour prior to the all aboard time. It should be said if you were to miss the all aboard time, the ship will leave without you. Having said that, these private guides are typically very good and have reputations to uphold. We've taken many private tours in Europe and have never had an issue.

Thanks so much! This is helpful. Two follow-ups:

1) When scheduling pick-up/trying to figure out how much time we have for a non-Viking tour, should we assume it takes an hour or so to get off the boat in port?

2) If we wanted to just explore the city on foot on our own (no tour), like, for example, in Bari, can we count on Viking to provide transportation, or would we need to reserve the included trip and then just peel off when we get into town?

Thanks!

we are feeling a bit the same - can't go all the way to Italy and not get to at least one winery!

Kate and I would be interested in this one as well. Gambino winery looks very nice on tripadvisor, and I too would like to see the Greek amphitheater in Taormina.

Great to see the interest - and I think either sounded good to us so I can get back to them about the "Taormina and winery on the slopes of Etna" one to get some more info - I saw from some other reviews that they were fine with adjusting itineraries so perhaps we could arrange to have more time in Taormina than just the 1 hour listed

As to the NY crime family connection - I do know there are other tours offered called "The Godfather tour" so they definitely don't seem shy about connecting things to the NY Mafia/Mob movies

Just so you have it below is the description as they sent it to me (and includes an idea of what lunch will be) vs my cobbled together bullet notes. One note is that they have asked we hold it with a credit card but then pay in cash - hope that is ok with everyone

We will be picking you up from the shore of your port and enjoy a leisurely transfer direction Taormina, we will visit first the sea port village of Giardini Naxos, which was the first Greek settlement in Sicily. Driving a panoramic way, we will reach Taormina. We will stop at the most panoramic square "Belvedere square" with its unique breathtaking view over the Messina coast line, all the Taormina bays, the Catania coast line and our volcano Etna. We will then drive to the charming medieval village of Castelmola, located above Taormina. We will stroll several narrow picturesque streets with wonderful sea and Etna views. We can also visit the antique 13th century Arab castle, situated on the highest and most panoramic place in the area. We will then take you to the historical centre of Taormina and under our tip, you will have your own free time to explore the village, stroll the mean streets and narrow ways with picturesque corners and nice shops. (approx. 1 hour free time in town).
We then drive a wonderful panoramic way along the slopes of Mount Etna to reach the known winery “Gambino”. Upon arrival it is possible to tour the wonderful property overlooking the sea. You will enjoy a wine tasting combined a Sicilian typical lunch.
EURO 300,00 for 1/2/3/4 persons in sedan, 380,00 for 5/6 persons in minivan, 440,00 for 7/8 persons in minivan, includes a private deluxe auto with English speaking driver.
to be added winery price: Euro 20,00 per person which includes a wine tasting of 4 wines with some delicious tipical sicilian food tastings: dried tomatoes, Etna area mushrooms and olives, local salami, 2 types of Pepato cheese, Provola, fresh cheese, sausage in white wine, salad, hazelnuts sweet and coffe, possible vegetarian version.

1) When scheduling pick-up/trying to figure out how much time we have for a non-Viking tour, should we assume it takes an hour or so to get off the boat in port?
I doubt it would take that long. Its a pretty small ship. I'd just tell the tour company the time the ship is scheduled to dock. They should be able to figure it out from there.

Thanks so much! This is helpful. Two follow-ups:

2) If we wanted to just explore the city on foot on our own (no tour), like, for example, in Bari, can we count on Viking to provide transportation, or would we need to reserve the included trip and then just peel off when we get into town?

Thanks!

1) If hiring a private guide just tell them the scheduled time to arrive in port. They'll be there waiting for you when you get off.

2) I'm not familiar with Bari. In general if you're doing your own thing, I'd research how far the cruise port is to the city. DCL would occasionally provide bus transfers if it was a short drive ~10min (Tallinn, Stockholm). But I wouldn't count on a bus. If it was further than that, you had to get a taxi or make arrangements on your own. When you get on board, they probably have a port desk that can answer those questions.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter