Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Great to see the interest - and I think either sounded good to us so I can get back to them about the "Taormina and winery on the slopes of Etna" one to get some more info - I saw from some other reviews that they were fine with adjusting itineraries so perhaps we could arrange to have more time in Taormina than just the 1 hour listed

As to the NY crime family connection - I do know there are other tours offered called "The Godfather tour" so they definitely don't seem shy about connecting things to the NY Mafia/Mob movies

Just so you have it below is the description as they sent it to me (and includes an idea of what lunch will be) vs my cobbled together bullet notes. One note is that they have asked we hold it with a credit card but then pay in cash - hope that is ok with everyone

We will be picking you up from the shore of your port and enjoy a leisurely transfer direction Taormina, we will visit first the sea port village of Giardini Naxos, which was the first Greek settlement in Sicily. Driving a panoramic way, we will reach Taormina. We will stop at the most panoramic square "Belvedere square" with its unique breathtaking view over the Messina coast line, all the Taormina bays, the Catania coast line and our volcano Etna. We will then drive to the charming medieval village of Castelmola, located above Taormina. We will stroll several narrow picturesque streets with wonderful sea and Etna views. We can also visit the antique 13th century Arab castle, situated on the highest and most panoramic place in the area. We will then take you to the historical centre of Taormina and under our tip, you will have your own free time to explore the village, stroll the mean streets and narrow ways with picturesque corners and nice shops. (approx. 1 hour free time in town).
We then drive a wonderful panoramic way along the slopes of Mount Etna to reach the known winery “Gambino”. Upon arrival it is possible to tour the wonderful property overlooking the sea. You will enjoy a wine tasting combined a Sicilian typical lunch.
EURO 300,00 for 1/2/3/4 persons in sedan, 380,00 for 5/6 persons in minivan, 440,00 for 7/8 persons in minivan, includes a private deluxe auto with English speaking driver.
to be added winery price: Euro 20,00 per person which includes a wine tasting of 4 wines with some delicious tipical sicilian food tastings: dried tomatoes, Etna area mushrooms and olives, local salami, 2 types of Pepato cheese, Provola, fresh cheese, sausage in white wine, salad, hazelnuts sweet and coffe, possible vegetarian version.

sounds like they are a private tour and can adjust if we see fit. I'm game as long as I can get into the greek amphitheater.

On a Venice dinner note: I received a reply from Restaurant Quadri. They received a Michelin star and are located right in St Mark's plaza. some reviewers consider it over priced, but the menu looks good. They also run the coffee shop in the Square. They only take reservations on their website for a party of 6 so if there is more than that I need to contact them directly.

I have a couple emails out to other places but have not heard back yet.

https://www.alajmo.it/en/sezione/ristorante-quadri/ristorante-quadri
https://www.alajmo.it/upload/Quadri AUTUNNO 2017_ENG.pdf

sounds like they are a private tour and can adjust if we see fit. I'm game as long as I can get into the greek amphitheater.

I agree with this. The greek amphitheater and a winery on the lopes of Mt Etna sounds like a perfect day. I'm open to anything else.

@TheMaxRebo Count Kate and me in as well.

On a Venice dinner note: I received a reply from Restaurant Quadri. They received a Michelin star and are located right in St Mark's plaza. some reviewers consider it over priced, but the menu looks good. They also run the coffee shop in the Square. They only take reservations on their website for a party of 6 so if there is more than that I need to contact them directly.

I have a couple emails out to other places but have not heard back yet.

https://www.alajmo.it/en/sezione/ristorante-quadri/ristorante-quadri
https://www.alajmo.it/upload/Quadri AUTUNNO 2017_ENG.pdf

Michelin starred restaurants will always have a few random "overpriced" reviews. I'll check it out, but Kate and I are probably game once you've found something you like. I don't think these are starred, but La Palanga and Riviera looked good.

Also my not-so-secret place for ridiculously good pasta to go (they put it in like a chinese take out box) is Dal Moro's. If you're looking for an easy lunch and don't mind eating your fresh pasta on a bridge (or taking it back to a hotel), look no further.

If you want to go all out in Rome, there's Pergola - 3 stars, but it's supposed to be the best in Rome if not one of the best in Europe. Bookings at any of these probably need to be made asap.

I agree with this. The greek amphitheater and a winery on the lopes of Mt Etna sounds like a perfect day. I'm open to anything else.

@TheMaxRebo Count Kate and me in as well.

Just heard back from them and they are totally flexible - basically say it is our 7/8 hours to use as we want. They said to allow 1 hour drive from the port to Taormina, 1 hour to drive from Taormina to Winery, and then 1.5 hr from Winery back to port. So that would leave us about 4 hours or so to split between winery and Taormina

So it would be:
- @TheMaxRebo & Judi
- @Cousin Orville & Kate
- @travelinjenn & husband
- @met19

Michelin starred restaurants will always have a few random "overpriced" reviews. I'll check it out, but Kate and I are probably game once you've found something you like. I don't think these are starred, but La Palanga and Riviera looked good.

Also my not-so-secret place for ridiculously good pasta to go (they put it in like a chinese take out box) is Dal Moro's. If you're looking for an easy lunch and don't mind eating your fresh pasta on a bridge (or taking it back to a hotel), look no further.

If you want to go all out in Rome, there's Pergola - 3 stars, but it's supposed to be the best in Rome if not one of the best in Europe. Bookings at any of these probably need to be made asap.

I am game for this Quadri restaurant if I don't hear back from anyone else. If a group of people prefer something else, I am more than happy to adjust. Dal Moro's sounds good, I'll look into it.

https://www.ilridotto.com/en/location/ is also open for easter dinner (they emailed back).

So far I have interest from:
@Cousin Orville (2)
@christannj (2)
me

For Rome: Pergola--> they are closed till Jan 29th. I emailed them. I'll let you know.
https://www.dorchestercollection.com/en/rome/hotel-eden/restaurants-bar/la-terrazza/
https://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/restaurants-bars/imago/ these two are food with a view.

FYI most places in Rome require a jacket.

Last edited:

I'm thinking white tie, top hat and tails, you?

AustinDumbJC.jpg

@met19

Any of those Rome restaurants sound good. My preference would be:
1) Pergola
2) Imago
3) La Terrazza

For Venice:
1) Riviera
2) La Palanca
3) Il Ridotto
4) Quadri

My opinion would be to go all out in Rome, and in Venice it would be cool to eat out by the water with good fish and wine. But I'm really game for anything. Definitely should book some stuff soon though.

This will be our first cruise. I'm not entirely sure how transportation on port days works. If we want to explore a port on our own (say, Crotone), will the cruise provide transportation from the port to the closest major city? Is that something we have to arrange?

(I know these are really basic questions, but this is an entirely new kind of travel for us. We're used to picking one city and using a carefully-chosen hotel as home base to explore. The port-to-city thing is throwing us for a loop. Thanks in advance for any insight!)

I reached out directly to Viking regarding port transportation.

Every day a listing is provided regarding the port. A shuttle is provided to and from the city throughout the day.

The shuttle schedules and meeting places will be in the daily listing.

Every day a listing is provided regarding the port. A shuttle is provided to and from the city throughout the day.

That is good to know - for a number of the ports I think we will just do the included tour which are often only a few hours so good to know it should be pretty easy to get in/out of town on our own/outside of a tour if we want. thanks for reaching out to them!

Great to know! Thank you! And thanks so much to Cousin Orville and OKW Lover. I really appreciate the insight from some cruising veterans!

@met19

Any of those Rome restaurants sound good. My preference would be:
1) Pergola
2) Imago
3) La Terrazza

For Venice:
1) Riviera
2) La Palanca
3) Il Ridotto
4) Quadri

My opinion would be to go all out in Rome, and in Venice it would be cool to eat out by the water with good fish and wine. But I'm really game for anything. Definitely should book some stuff soon though.
I emailed Pergola- awaiting a reply. There is an auto reply. Awaiting actual reply to my question re:reservation on March 23rd. I know @christannj was interested also in Easter dinner. Any thoughts on preference. @Cousin Orville made a good list.

Based on my research tables of 6 or less can be reserved on the websites (exception is Pergola). 6 or more need an email. So if anyone else in interested in joining us- let me know ASAP for planning purposes. Feel free to either reply or PM me. Thanks.

@christannj looking forward to our next spritz. As you all know I am a foodie. There are total of 8 Michelin restaurants for 2018 in the metro Venice area four of which are located near where most of us are staying. I will keep people informed when I hear back when I hear back. If people are interested in something like this please let me know so I get an idea of a headcount.[/QUOTE]

Trish and I would be interested in Dinner in Venice on Easter. We have a 4 hour tour booked that day at 2PM, I think anytime after 6:30PM would work, but if it doesn't work out I understand.

Thanks, Beth

@christannj looking forward to our next spritz. As you all know I am a foodie. There are total of 8 Michelin restaurants for 2018 in the metro Venice area four of which are located near where most of us are staying. I will keep people informed when I hear back when I hear back. If people are interested in something like this please let me know so I get an idea of a headcount.

Trish and I would be interested in Dinner in Venice on Easter. We have a 4 hour tour booked that day at 2PM, I think anytime after 6:30PM would work, but if it doesn't work out I understand.

Thanks, Beth[/QUOTE]
no problem ill add you to our list.

I emailed Pergola- awaiting a reply. There is an auto reply. Awaiting actual reply to my question re:reservation on March 23rd. I know @christannj was interested also in Easter dinner. Any thoughts on preference. @Cousin Orville made a good list.

Based on my research tables of 6 or less can be reserved on the websites (exception is Pergola). 6 or more need an email. So if anyone else in interested in joining us- let me know ASAP for planning purposes. Feel free to either reply or PM me. Thanks.

I would be interested in Easter dinner

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter