DIS/Dreams Unlimited China Adventure Oct 14th - 25th 2017 SOLD OUT!!!

Finally dealing with the visa application now that we won't be leaving the country for anything else before the trip. The photo requirements seem very specific and it says that a passport photo won't work. For those who have completed already, where did you get your photos done?

Laurie

We went to a local fast print type photography shop who take passport photos, explained we wanted a Chinese visa, they amended their settings and produced the right size. £5 for both our photos, plus spares.

Finally dealing with the visa application now that we won't be leaving the country for anything else before the trip. The photo requirements seem very specific and it says that a passport photo won't work. For those who have completed already, where did you get your photos done?

Laurie

We just got our Visas and passports back today CIBT. We took our own pictures and I photoshopped out the background to make them a solid white. It only takes a few minutes if anyone needs help.

-Jeremy

We just got our Visas and passports back today CIBT. We took our own pictures and I photoshopped out the background to make them a solid white. It only takes a few minutes if anyone needs help.

-Jeremy

Can you explain more about how you changed the background? We don't have any white walls in the house so I threw a sheet up for the pics but it's not looking great so I'm not sure if they will accept it. The CIBT site has a photo service where they fix the size so I was going to do that but I don't think they will change the background.

Also, did people use October 14 as date of entry or October 18 since that's when we actually go to Beijing? And for the Letter of Invitation, did you just use the email Kevin forwarded from ABD with the internal flights and hotels?

Laurie

Can you explain more about how you changed the background? We don't have any white walls in the house so I threw a sheet up for the pics but it's not looking great so I'm not sure if they will accept it. The CIBT site has a photo service where they fix the size so I was going to do that but I don't think they will change the background.

Also, did people use October 14 as date of entry or October 18 since that's when we actually go to Beijing? And for the Letter of Invitation, did you just use the email Kevin forwarded from ABD with the internal flights and hotels?

Laurie

I printed out two copies of the application with the different dates. When I arrived at the the embassy I asked and they said to use 10/14 (maybe since it lined up with my air itinerary?). For the letter of invitation I printed the email itinerary from Kevin.

Also, on my visa I requested 10 years multiple entry - it costs the same as a regular visa but if there's any chance you'll want to go back to China in the next 10 years you then won't need a new one.

I also found this site really helpful for filling out the form: http://www.visarite.com/china_visa_form_howto.htm

I don't know why but I am stressing about this process.... To the point that I am now dreaming that I am trying to do the application and not getting it done.... This is a flashback to school days when I would be dreaming that I was taking an exam and the clock hands are spinning around the face and I am on question 2.
For those who have been successful, did you use CIBT even though they have terrible reviews on line or some other service? Did you just send a cropped passport photo to the specifications given or send a digital picture to have a service fix it? For those who have gotten their visa back how long did it take? I am trying to get this sent out by next week.

Chris

I don't know why but I am stressing about this process.... Chris

I am with you, Chris! I'm finding it very complicated, but forms have never been my strong suit. You should see me at tax time! I am using CIBT and their document preparation service (but not the concierge - eek!). I sent the info yesterday and got the prepared application back a little while ago. Now to put everything together and fedex it to them. I'm still concerned about the pictures, but hopefully CIBT will let me know if they are ok before sending them off to the consulate. Would be easier if one was close rather than mailing it out so that I could bug them in person.

Laurie

Laurie

Jeremy may had a simpler way to do it, but I took the photo in RAW format (which any DSLR camera can do). Then I loaded into Lightroom. Then I used the airbrush exposure tool to increase the exposure of the background basically turning it solid white. I just had my photos approved from CIBT. If you need some help and can get me a RAW photo, I can do it for you. Sounds complicated, but takes less than a minute.

Also, on my visa I requested 10 years multiple entry - it costs the same as a regular visa but if there's any chance you'll want to go back to China in the next 10 years you then won't need a new one.

I requested a 10yr as well. Wish I had done that last time.

I don't know why but I am stressing about this process.... To the point that I am now dreaming that I am trying to do the application and not getting it done.... This is a flashback to school days when I would be dreaming that I was taking an exam and the clock hands are spinning around the face and I am on question 2.
For those who have been successful, did you use CIBT even though they have terrible reviews on line or some other service? Did you just send a cropped passport photo to the specifications given or send a digital picture to have a service fix it? For those who have gotten their visa back how long did it take? I am trying to get this sent out by next week.

Chris

Chris,

I just started the CIBT process. Finger's crossed. It is stressful. I sent them digital photos which have been approved by CIBT. I did their questionnaire and am waiting for them to send me back the filled out Visa application to sign and mail in.

I am with you, Chris! I'm finding it very complicated, but forms have never been my strong suit. You should see me at tax time! I am using CIBT and their document preparation service (but not the concierge - eek!). I sent the info yesterday and got the prepared application back a little while ago. Now to put everything together and fedex it to them. I'm still concerned about the pictures, but hopefully CIBT will let me know if they are ok before sending them off to the consulate. Would be easier if one was close rather than mailing it out so that I could bug them in person.

Laurie

CIBT first emailed me a rejection of the photos I uploaded. I touched them up and they then sent me an approval email. I uploaded my document prep yesterday and am hoping to hear back today and get it mailed off this week.

Yeah the concierge service is nuts. For that price, they should come out to my house, take the photos and write up the documents for me.

For those using CIBT's document prep service review your applications carefully. We found several errors. My previous May 2013 Visa was dated wrong 2013-11-05 rather than 2013-05-11. My expiration date for current passport was wrong - 2017 rather than 2027. We listed Kate's mom as an emergency contact, "Mother-in-Law" was listed on both applications. The inviting person was listed as the Rosewood rather than Adventures by Disney per ABD's letter. Anyway, a lot to correct.

Laurie

Sorry, Laurie, I forget sometimes that not everyone has some of the photo editing programs that Kevin and I used. Make sure it is well lit and a solid white background. You may even want to try outside in the sunlight if your house has warming lights. I think some people had some success with passport photos but if they reject your photos, I am pretty sure that Kevin or I can clean up the backgrounds to get them submitted. We'd just need your photos.

For those using CIBT's document prep service review your applications carefully. We found several errors. My previous May 2013 Visa was dated wrong 2013-11-05 rather than 2013-05-11. My expiration date for current passport was wrong - 2017 rather than 2027. We listed Kate's mom as an emergency contact, "Mother-in-Law" was listed on both applications. The inviting person was listed as the Rosewood rather than Adventures by Disney per ABD's letter. Anyway, a lot to correct.

And also check your billing with CIBT. We were billed for an additional service we had opted out of and they also didn't include the ABD discount. They quickly corrected these with a quick phone call but you'll want to make sure that they don't overcharge you.

-Jeremy

if they reject your photos, I am pretty sure that Kevin or I can clean up the backgrounds to get them submitted. We'd just need your photos.
-Jeremy

Thanks!! We'll see if they accept them!

For those using CIBT's document prep service review your applications carefully. The inviting person was listed as the Rosewood rather than Adventures by Disney per ABD's letter.

I remember reading something in the CIBT paperwork that if the "Inviter" was not a Chinese company, they would list the first hotel instead, so that is probably deliberate.

I'm hoping to send everything to CIBT tomorrow!

Laurie

Thanks!! We'll see if they accept them!

I remember reading something in the CIBT paperwork that if the "Inviter" was not a Chinese company, they would list the first hotel instead, so that is probably deliberate.

I'm hoping to send everything to CIBT tomorrow!

Laurie

OK, thanks. In that case I'll keep the Rosewood as the inviter. We hope to send our paperwork out tomorrow.

Question: In my application form (Canada, therefore possibly different), under Type of Visa/Major Purpose of Visit, it asks for the travel agency in China. This field appears because I'm choosing "Group Member" instead of "Independent Tourist". Anyone have any ideas? EDIT: I just saw on the ABD email from Kevin that Wild China is listed for the flights. But no travel agency number is listed.

Last edited:
Question: In my application form (Canada, therefore possibly different), under Type of Visa/Major Purpose of Visit, it asks for the travel agency in China. This field appears because I'm choosing "Group Member" instead of "Independent Tourist". Anyone have any ideas? EDIT: I just saw on the ABD email from Kevin that Wild China is listed for the flights. But no travel agency number is listed.

This sounds a bit different from the form here in the US. I ended up putting Adventures by Disney (not Wild China or the Rosewood) with their phone number for the inviter since that's what the ABD invitation letter Kevin sent out has listed. Fingers crossed!

Well, we started the visa process with CIBT today. I am not impressed. I now understand why the reviews for CIBT are overwhelmingly negative. I have absolutely no idea what the final cost will be if I use CIBT and I don't want to order the service without knowing what I am buying. I have a local company that will do the entire process (10-year visa) for us for $270 per visa. My question to those US travelers who have used CIBT is: What is the cost to use CIBT including the ABD "special price"?

OK, I'm about to start this visa process. Just reading the requirements I'm a bit confused about the "invitation" part of the document requirements, and by the airline/hotel parts.

Is everybody using the ABD letter that shows our arrival dates and hotels as the "invitation"?

And for air are you providing a copy of the arriving flight (even though that's to Hong Kong) and the Departure flight? Our arriving and departing flights are on different PNR's because, like many of you, we are doing Tokyo first and picked a different airline to fly from Tokyo to Hong Kong, that what we are using to get home from Shanghai.

Well, we started the visa process with CIBT today. I am not impressed. I now understand why the reviews for CIBT are overwhelmingly negative. I have absolutely no idea what the final cost will be if I use CIBT and I don't want to order the service without knowing what I am buying. I have a local company that will do the entire process (10-year visa) for us for $270 per visa. My question to those US travelers who have used CIBT is: What is the cost to use CIBT including the ABD "special price"?

Sadly I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty how much I'm paying. I did the photo service = $25pp. Shipped it in overnight using their FedEx label = $37.50. The document prep service = $75pp. The CIBT Service/Visa Fee = $139pp. And then shipping it back next day ~ $42. So for 2 people ~ $557.50. I could me missing a fee though. If I am... they've got my CC#. I would have done it myself, but I was nervous squeezing in the time around work to go up to the Consulate. Sadly, I must have missed the fact that there's an ABD discount.

OK, I'm about to start this visa process. Just reading the requirements I'm a bit confused about the "invitation" part of the document requirements, and by the airline/hotel parts.

Is everybody using the ABD letter that shows our arrival dates and hotels as the "invitation"?

And for air are you providing a copy of the arriving flight (even though that's to Hong Kong) and the Departure flight? Our arriving and departing flights are on different PNR's because, like many of you, we are doing Tokyo first and picked a different airline to fly from Tokyo to Hong Kong, that what we are using to get home from Shanghai.

Yes, I included the ABD letter with air and hotel info as the invitation and pretty sure I did that last time as well. I haven't gotten my visa back yet though. I sent them copies of my air confirmation into HK and out of Shanghai (mine is on 2 separate tickets as well). The internal flight info is mostly included in the ABD hotel letter - CX332, Hong Kong to Beijing, departing at 12:00, arriving at 15:15. They shouldn't need the actual confirmation since it's a part of the tour and invitation letter.

Supposedly, CIBT is sending our visa application in today. What I know about the cost is the same as what Kevin (Cousin Orville) said above, but it was all very unclear and piecemeal. There was never a final bill or anything like that. Maybe that comes once they have the visa in hand? I included both the ABD letter with the hotel and ABD flight information and my air confirmation for the flights I booked. I paid for the photo service and kept getting emails that the photos were rejected for one reason or another (4 different sets! the first set was admittedly bad because we tried to use a white sheet since we have no white walls, but after that I have no idea what was wrong with them. One set we had done at a passport photo place). Yesterday, I gave up and told Brian to deal with it because I had no idea what they wanted. When he spoke with them in person, they said the photos were fine and they would be mailing it today. Nothing since then.

I'll be glad when this process is over. I told myself I could not look at any fun stuff for the trip until the visas are in hand. I see that Kevin (Cousin Orville) is thinking about dining reservations and things like that (over on the ABD China 2017 page). That's the kind of planning I can get on board with - not how many mm my photo is and whether I used capital letters!

Laurie

Getting ready to mail our "crap" I mean visa applications tomorrow. Still am not sure if I should be using ABD as the inviter or the Rosewood...could anyone who has been lucky enough to get their visas shed light on this.

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter