Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Smiley_face - Glad to hear your trip went well!
It's not whining, just venting! Hope all goes well with the next steps. Please do keep us updated!

Hello! Thanks for asking! Chemo treatment has been surprisingly easy. I have 8 more chemos out of 16 left. Hair is growing back and I am able to live my life normally with no real side effects.
That is great. I assume you are now on a weekly taxane and hope the dose keeps working well for you. I have had shoulder length hair for about 5 years now, and I still get shocked at how long it is!

I am on Taxol...the same thing??
It sure is. Taxane refers to the class of chemos. I believe Taxol to be most universal, but I have seen others take taxotere. I took 4 dose dense Taxol. My friend just finished her 12 weekly taxols—16 total. I assumed you were on a similar regimen. I asked my oncologist, and she said the newer standard is 12 weekly taxols to reduce a lot of side effects. Not all, but still quite a few.

It sure is. Taxane refers to the class of chemos. I believe Taxol to be most universal, but I have seen others take taxotere. I took 4 dose dense Taxol. My friend just finished her 12 weekly taxols—16 total. I assumed you were on a similar regimen. I asked my oncologist, and she said the newer standard is 12 weekly taxols to reduce a lot of side effects. Not all, but still quite a few.

Yes, that is my course...12 weekly Taxol treatments. I have had minimal side effects...normally just need a short afternoon nap for a few days after. The 4 AC's were a bit more difficult. I will have 35 radiation treatments starting the end of May. I am so bored! I am a school administrator and had to take this entire school year off.

Smiley - sounds like you had a wonderful trip. So happy you could spend time with the grandkids. Hoping your health issues get resolved.

peg - how are you and Kendall?

welcome to the new posters

I have not been feeling well. I don't know if this is the new normal. I get tired easily. Out of breath but not like before, feel nauseous at times and get pain in my chest/ heart and L shoulder where the graft was implanted. Got some interesting insurance statements, so far the bills are up to 200k. I am blessed dh is working and we have good insurance.

In the next 2 weeks I will go for a blood test and sonogram for the regular six month cancer check up.

Dh has been sick for 2 weeks. Went to urgent care twice and still has a lingering cough. Ds3 and dh are amazed I haven't gotten it. Ds1 has a division playoff game Friday. If they win they are going to state. There is a video online from the metro news. It's the student takeover very funny.
I got future dill her shower gifts just in case. I am hesitant to buy a new dress.

And in corona virus news.. Officially 1 patient positive at the univ. hospital here, more being tested. Who will be assigned to take care of these patients? Why the icu float pool. Welcome ds3 and his rebreather mask doesn't fit tight. They said they can wear hospital scrubs, leave them there and take a shower before they leave. Ds still is in training rotations so hopefully that will last a while longer

GAGWTA

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is staying safe in this crazy time! doctor said my blood work is not bad enough to worry about, and my heart has been behaving really well, must be because things are so calm and not stressful right now...LOL! I don't know but I am grateful! anything non urgent is on hold of course. Only way to go into the hospital right now is in an ambulance, otherwise call your doctor or the health line. most of our family is off work now, due to closures etc. so far we have remained healthy. getting groceries is an interesting challenge now! the stores only allow from 40-50 people in at a time, and everyone has to stay 6 feet apart. I am only doing online orders, then you drive up and they put it in the back of your car and away you go. anything we can't get just has to wait. It is just so shocking to think only 3 weeks ago we were in Disneyland having so much fun and barely even thinking about all this!
LMP, I pray as you heal you will regain some strength and the pains will subside. you are an old hand at "the new normal" like most of us, and will adapt! I pray for your whole family that you all stay safe from this new virus, it's the last thing you need right now!
Thankyou Sage!
China expat, that was my protocol too, the taxol was so much easier than the other, but that was super hard on me, I had to stop twice and go an extra week in between treatments, ended up in the ER twice for intraveanous fluids etc. I went from long blonde hair, to almost pure white and curly when it came back in! I am back to long and blonde again now it's been almost 9 years since the end of my treatment.
take care everyone!

Happy Easter, ladies! Hope this day finds you all doing well.

LMP, thinking of you and hoping you're feeling better.

Smiley, happy to hear you're doing okay.

Kendall and I are doing okay, considering. We were both very ill the last week of February into March. We both had fevers and horrible coughs. Kendall suffered from extreme stomach upset. I ended up taking her to the ER. At the ER, they asked if Kendall had been to China or had been in contact with a person confirmed for Covid-19. We explained that she had tutored a student from South Korea who was ill. He is here on a golf program and lives in a group home with other South Korean students. They had just had several new students arrive. Some were ill when they arrived.

I ended up having breathing difficulty. My oncologist put me on a z-pack and a steroid. It helped, but I was ill for about three weeks. I couldn't lay down because of the wheezing. We are both fine now, but my oncologist believes it is possible we both had the virus. They weren't testing at the time, so we won't know until the antibody test is available.

I had a Pet Scan done a couple of weeks ago. The tumor activity is better, but still there. I will continue the Ibrance for another three months, followed by another Pet Scan. Unfortunately, the scan showed something on two of my thoracic vertebrae. I had another CT of that area on Thursday. I won't get the result until next Friday. The oncologist said she'd be surprised if this was a new metastasis, since I am responding well to the Ibrance and my markers are better. If it does turn out to be cancer, I will undergo radiation of this area. Fingers crossed!

It's hard to even worry about the old issues with all that's happening in the world. So looking forward to better days! Thinking of you all! Stay safe!

Happy Easter, ladies! Hope this day finds you all doing well.

LMP, thinking of you and hoping you're feeling better.

Smiley, happy to hear you're doing okay.

Kendall and I are doing okay, considering. We were both very ill the last week of February into March. We both had fevers and horrible coughs. Kendall suffered from extreme stomach upset. I ended up taking her to the ER. At the ER, they asked if Kendall had been to China or had been in contact with a person confirmed for Covid-19. We explained that she had tutored a student from South Korea who was ill. He is here on a golf program and lives in a group home with other South Korean students. They had just had several new students arrive. Some were ill when they arrived.

I ended up having breathing difficulty. My oncologist put me on a z-pack and a steroid. It helped, but I was ill for about three weeks. I couldn't lay down because of the wheezing. We are both fine now, but my oncologist believes it is possible we both had the virus. They weren't testing at the time, so we won't know until the antibody test is available.

I had a Pet Scan done a couple of weeks ago. The tumor activity is better, but still there. I will continue the Ibrance for another three months, followed by another Pet Scan. Unfortunately, the scan showed something on two of my thoracic vertebrae. I had another CT of that area on Thursday. I won't get the result until next Friday. The oncologist said she'd be surprised if this was a new metastasis, since I am responding well to the Ibrance and my markers are better. If it does turn out to be cancer, I will undergo radiation of this area. Fingers crossed!

It's hard to even worry about the old issues with all that's happening in the world. So looking forward to better days! Thinking of you all! Stay safe!
Your family’s issues are just as important as anything going on in the world.:love2:

I haven’t posted for awhile but for some reason my heart told me to today. I hope treatment is going well for those in treatment. I hope everyone else who is trying to manage their Covid 19 risk is successful. My husband and I are mostly staying home. Have not seen our out of town kids except our son once when he needed help with a project. We were masked up. I was finally able to actually see my mom in person the last 2 weeks. She lives in assisted living and the staff organized an outside porch for the visits. They are limiting us to 1 15 minute visit a week with masks and no touching or hugging, sitting 6 feet apart. It feels weird but it’s a start and I am grateful. Being isolated has taken a toll on her. She walks a lot on the senior living campus where she lives but eating your meals by yourself In your apartment is wearing on her. Regardless, they are keeping residents safe. That’s what is important.

My husband and I have plans for a trip to stay on a house near a very quiet beach area for a week in July. Not much to do here at home except walk walk walk since we are retired. It is helpful to have a trip to plan for, even a minor one. I am already making lists and gathering gear and supplies.

GAGWTA!!!

Thanks for stopping by with an update, snappy. Hoping we all can get back to 'normal' in the not all too distant future. But, I am not one to rush it. It's fine to do what we are asked to do to make it safe for everybody.

Your trip planning sounds great!! :beach:

Snappy, so good to hear from you! Glad things are going well for you and your hubby.

We are doing fine. I am, for the most part, staying home. I go to the grocery store and I have eaten out a couple of times recently. I am always masked. I am still taking Ibrance. My tumor activity is way down, but there is still activity. I see my oncologist in a couple of weeks. I imagine she will order another Pet scan. I am feeling okay except for my joints. Unfortunately, that is the hormone inhibitor's fault. I recently read an article stating that many women stop taking it because of arthritis issues due to the decrease in estrogen. That is not an option for me. I don't care how bad it gets, I will continue to take it. It is obvious that my cancer is always going to try to creep back. I will do what I need to keep it at bay.

Kendall is doing okay. The Plaquenil continues to help. Fortunately, she has not had any problem obtaining it. We were worried when it looked like there could be a run on it. Since they have found it ineffective for the virus, that is one less thing to worry about.

Kendall has started working on a master degree in Instructional Design through UCF. It is all online, but is keeping her very busy. That's okay. She needed the distraction. She's a very social person. The lockdown has been very hard on her. Sadly, her tutoring business has taken a huge hit. People just don't have the money for extras like a tutor. It's okay. She needs the time to devote to her classes.

My sister, who lives with us, has gone back to her part time job at the UPS store. Even though the UPS store was considered essential, she decided to take time off. She was off from the beginning of March until last week. She's glad to be back to work, but she is watching things closely. Total new cases of the virus are going up pretty quickly in Florida. If things start looking bad, she will quit. She is 70 years old and live with a cancer patient and person with systemic lupus. We need to be careful.

On the bright side, I've completed six jigsaw puzzles! Even though they are brand new puzzles, I tend to always be missing a piece at the end. I blame the dog!!!!

Thinking of you all! Stay safe!

So nice to see everyone posting.
This week I managed to get my long overdue neck sonogram and aortic ct scans.
No visible cancer in my neck but the vascular surgeon wants to talk to us about the inevitable next surgery. I already told dh that it will wait until after ds1 wedding in Sept. Worse the hospital has a no visitor policy and I would have to go to the terrible ICU I was in before. I see the surgeon the end of June. Also working on a medication adjustment and more blood tests. To get my scans you must wait outside in your car with a beeper. I waited over 1 1 /2 hours. They said they were confused with my testing schedule. A truly horrible experience.
Most stuff locked down here or very restricted.
Dh doing most work from home.
Ds1 still on for the wedding so far it will be zoom unless the govenor changes it.
ds 2 working from home. Dil having a hard time coping. Gets everything delivered, won't touch anything, constantly showers and sanitized everything. Only came here for my birthday and wouldn't even sit in a chair in the front yard.
Ds3 training in different ICU's. This week it's CCU. He found an internship for his fall masters class with a doctor 30 min. away.
We know 4 people who died of the virus. Ds said they have 50 patients now being treated and they were told by September to be ready for the 2nd wave during fall/winter.
GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

Last edited:
So nice to see everyone posting.
This week I managed to get my long overdue neck sonogram and aortic ct scans.
No visible cancer in my neck but the vascular surgeon wants to talk to us about the inevitable next surgery. I already told dh that it will wait until after ds1 wedding in Sept. Worse the hospital has a no visitor policy and I would have to go to the terrible ICU I was in before. I see the surgeon the end of June. Also working on a medication adjustment and more blood tests. To get my scans you must wait outside in your car with a beeper. I waited over 1 1 /2 hours. They said they were confused with my testing schedule. A truly horrible experience.
Most stuff locked down here or very restricted.
Dh doing most work from home.
Ds1 still on for the wedding so far it will be zoom unless the govenor changes it.
ds 2 working from home. Dil having a hard time coping. Gets everything delivered, won't touch anything, constantly showers and sanitized everything. Only came here for my birthday and wouldn't even sit in a chair in the front yard.
Ds3 training in different ICU's. This week it's CCU. He found an internship for his fall masters class with a doctor 30 min. away.
We know 4 people who died of the virus. Ds said they have 50 patients now being treated and they were told by September to be ready for the 2nd wave during fall/winter.
GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

I hope you can avoid another surgery, LMP. And keeping fingers crossed your son’s wedding can be live and not by zoom.

Things are in phase 2 here but my husband and I aren’t since we are in our sixties and he has health issues. It’s been challenging but we stay busy. It helps that our spring was nice. Now it’s hot. Walking starts before 7 am. Yikes!!!

Laurie - I must have another surgery. It's not optional unfortunately. I probably am not explaining it right but Linda would understand more.
Right now the graft is just hanging in my body. My body couldn't take the shock of the whole surgery before.
Now I need another graft that can be attached from the bottom into the one already there. I don't know how big that would be. The other one was 18 inches.
The pa did say that this one would be less dangerous and no spinal drain.
I told ds. Don't worry I am making sure I won't die before your wedding. I am praying for sure!!I
I was looking at mother of groom gowns online before but I want something cheap. Future dil had a virtual bachelorette party online. The real one was suppose to be in Nashville. I need to get another shower gift too. That could turn into a virtual bridal shower too.

LMP, I am sorry to hear that another surgery is in the cards for you. You are truly a survivor, with a fighter’s attitude. Sorry your future daughter in law’s Pre wedding bridal events have been so affected by Covid. Sounds like she is a fighter too. I hate this virus. I am praying for your recovery.

Hello, everyone, good to see the familiar faces here, and to hear that everyone is surviving.

I don't have a great excuse for not checking in, but I did move! Last fall, from ABQ to PDX. DH is still in ABQ, was supposed to have quickly gotten the house ready to list and then move too. Best laid plans. Last time I saw him was in Feb. when I went back for an estate sale to clear our house of all the stuff we didn't want to move. Then the craziness hit. Boy, could see that one coming, I've been sheltering in place since end of February. Me, daughter, two cats and a new puppy. DH has family in ABQ, thank goodness, and has a big job to finish. Not happy he took that on, the real estate market there is actually good for sellers right this minute.

LMP, you are amazing and tough. It kind of sounds like your DH had the virus and you avoided it. I have no doubt you will be around for DS' wedding and long after.

Peg, did you ever get the antibody test? Hope you have no ill effects from being sick, but it would be good to be covered for at least a while.

Smiley, so good to see you posting, you look so good. Yes, glad you got to go to DL. I have been dieting too, but it's incredibly slow. However, my blood work in March was amazing! Shocked the new doctor, I think.

Snappy, sounds like you and your husband are handling this very well. Long walks are great. Puppy has finished shots so we are going to attempt walks. He's very tiny (toy poodle) so worried about unleashed dogs.

For those going through BC now, take heart. You've got some long time survivors here for encouragement. I had it in 2012 and a different occurrence in 2015, still kicking!

Stay safe, everyone. :love:

Hope everyone is doing well

My surgeon visit wasn't that great. I found out why I am having such bad pain. My scoliosis is so bad it's pushing the graft right up against my ribs causing rubbing and creating a pool of blood behind my aorta. That is very bad. So far he wants to do a repeat ct Scan after the wedding. He said the next surgery would be a 2 inch reinforcement graft, Maybe 3 days in the hospital and he doesn't know if I will need that horrible spinal drain again or not. I hope not because that was 2 months of post op pain, muscle relaxers, pain patches and heating pads. He also said there is no guarantee that this bad pain I am having will be better after the surgery.

Linda - saw you mention your dd is a nurse now. You must be so proud of her!

GAGWTA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter