Dining Recommendations, Anyone?

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are planning on taking our three boys for our first trip to WDW as DVC members in September 2023. During that trip, we plan on celebrating our middle son's 6th birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary. My middle son wants to do DHS on his actual birthday and I would like to do MK on our anniversary. When we did our WDW vacation this past April, we ate at Be Our Guest and Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. We did not visit DHS during that trip. Any recommendations to make those days extra special? Our boys will be ages 8, 6, and 3 during the trip and they are typical boys when it comes to eating at restaurants, if you know what I mean. Thank you in advance!

My wife and I are planning on taking our three boys for our first trip to WDW as DVC members in September 2023. During that trip, we plan on celebrating our middle son's 6th birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary. My middle son wants to do DHS on his actual birthday and I would like to do MK on our anniversary. When we did our WDW vacation this past April, we ate at Be Our Guest and Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. We did not visit DHS during that trip. Any recommendations to make those days extra special? Our boys will be ages 8, 6, and 3 during the trip and they are typical boys when it comes to eating at restaurants, if you know what I mean. Thank you in advance!

At DHS, with boys that age, I would consider 50's Prime Time. It's upbeat and fun. Sci-Fi is fun, too - the theming is incredible - but it's a little quieter and you will be focusing on a screen playing sci-fi clips instead of really interacting as a family (if that makes sense).

Since you've done BOG and Liberty Tree, maybe consider Skipper Cantten at MK. If you'd like to make a little trip out of MK for a meal, with kids that age, I would consider 'Ohana or Whispering Canyon. For something really special, consider going to Hoop Dee Doo Review - fun show, great food and they will recognize both the birthday and your anniversary during the show.

I would go to Sci-Fi in DHS. There's really nothing like it anywhere and my kids always thought it was fun. On the other hand, we just ate at 50's Prime Time the other day and it wasn't anything great. No antics, nothing silly happening, and our food was kind of gross.

I too would consider Prime Time and Sci-Fi but would lean more towards Prime Time for your family. We like the food at both - burgers at Sci-Fi, fried chicken or meatloaf at Prime Time.

At Sci-Fi most parties are seated in 6-person cars, 2 guests to a seat, so arrangements might be complicated for the ages of your kids. The 8 and 6 year olds might be able to sit together, with the 3 year old and one parent together and the other parent alone. There are some tables, though, which might work better for y’all. Most of the movies are short previews of 50s sci-fi films, along with news clips from the 50s predicting future technology. I’ve read of some young kids being scared by the movie clips; our youngest was 5 when we first ate there and thought it was hilarious, so obviously it depends on the kid!

50s Prime Time is set up like a kitchen from the 50s, with TVs showing short excerpts from classic 50s shows. Some servers are better than others at interacting with guests, so you never know whether they’ll keep everybody laughing or not.

At DHS, with boys that age, I would consider 50's Prime Time. It's upbeat and fun. Sci-Fi is fun, too - the theming is incredible - but it's a little quieter and you will be focusing on a screen playing sci-fi clips instead of really interacting as a family (if that makes sense).

Since you've done BOG and Liberty Tree, maybe consider Skipper Cantten at MK. If you'd like to make a little trip out of MK for a meal, with kids that age, I would consider 'Ohana or Whispering Canyon. For something really special, consider going to Hoop Dee Doo Review - fun show, great food and they will recognize both the birthday and your anniversary during the show.
Great suggestions! I am grateful for ones that are kid-friendly. I liked the idea of the Sci-Fi restaurant because my middle son loves monsters like Godzilla, King Kong, and Bigfoot. But I heard it can be a bit dark, and what you alluded to, distracting.

We are staying at the Poly, so Ohana is definitely on our radar. My oldest son loves Stitch, so I suppose we could always shoot for a nice anniversary breakfast. I’ll take a look at the Hoop Dee Doo Review. Thanks!!

I too would consider Prime Time and Sci-Fi but would lean more towards Prime Time for your family. We like the food at both - burgers at Sci-Fi, fried chicken or meatloaf at Prime Time.

At Sci-Fi most parties are seated in 6-person cars, 2 guests to a seat, so arrangements might be complicated for the ages of your kids. The 8 and 6 year olds might be able to sit together, with the 3 year old and one parent together and the other parent alone. There are some tables, though, which might work better for y’all. Most of the movies are short previews of 50s sci-fi films, along with news clips from the 50s predicting future technology. I’ve read of some young kids being scared by the movie clips; our youngest was 5 when we first ate there and thought it was hilarious, so obviously it depends on the kid!

50s Prime Time is set up like a kitchen from the 50s, with TVs showing short excerpts from classic 50s shows. Some servers are better than others at interacting with guests, so you never know whether they’ll keep everybody laughing or not.
With the Sci-Fi films, the only question mark would be my youngest. But my middle son has been watching the original Godzilla films for years. He says he wants to be a chef when he gets older, but I could see him doing some amateur Bigfoot hunting.

Great suggestions! I am grateful for ones that are kid-friendly. I liked the idea of the Sci-Fi restaurant because my middle son loves monsters like Godzilla, King Kong, and Bigfoot. But I heard it can be a bit dark, and what you alluded to, distracting.

We are staying at the Poly, so Ohana is definitely on our radar. My oldest son loves Stitch, so I suppose we could always shoot for a nice anniversary breakfast. I’ll take a look at the Hoop Dee Doo Review. Thanks!!
They even have Stitch waffles at Ohana, in addition to the Mickey waffles…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter