Dining on Site - too expensive?

We all know that the cost of dining out is extremely relative. A $40 meal for someone earning $25,000/year is a lot of money, but it's just pocket change for the person in that $500,000/year category.

I would guess that the vast majority of us here on the DIS are somewhere between those two figures. So expensive can be a very relative term.

In my case, due to diabetes, it's more important to eat smaller meals or snacks several times a day, rather than one or two large meals. Thus if we're just walking around DD for example, a quick stop at McDonalds for just a small sandwich and small drink (diet-sugar free) is all that's needed. (Or Earl of Sandwich, etc). At the parks, maybe an apple here or there, or something simple at one of the many counter service restaurants. No large meals. So for us dining out (as in sit-down restaurant) can be a waste as I can't eat the large portions and full meals being served. Thus we'll limit our WDW dining to just a few times during the trip, where DW will get a lot of the food from my plate. For us on these occassions, it's not for the food, but more for the experience and atmosphere of 'dining out'.

Sidebar: I use to think the McDonalds at DD was the most expensive one in the U.S., but having recently returned from D.C., I now think the most expensive U.S. McDonalds must be the one at the Air and Space museum. That one even makes the counter service food at the Disney theme parks seem cheap..... :confused3

Caskbill said:
I use to think the McDonalds at DD was the most expensive one in the U.S., but having recently returned from D.C., I now think the most expensive U.S. McDonalds must be the one at the Air and Space museum.

Good gravy, there's a McD's at the A&S museum?

jarestel said:
Good gravy, there's a McD's at the A&S museum?

According to the workers there, it is the largest McD's in the world. It is pretty big. They have a pretty neat line system too.

Well, it is expensive (partly because Oklahoma must be the countries cheapest place for gasoline, food and housing, but I digress). We usually make a couple of sit down dinner ressies (or three if we are staying over a week). This is not just because of the expense but also because
- there is just more food than we want to eat (Disney meals are generous) and
- it's too darn hot to eat much in the summer trips and
- our Fall trip is always during Food & Wine Fest so we just graze

We always eat major size breakfast in the room (eggs, meat,fruit, toast, etc). For lunch I make deli style sandwiches of meat,cheese, etc and wrap them tightly. Also keep yogurt, fruit, chips and ice cream in hand. Between what is in the fridge, some counter meals in the parks (turkey legs, a bratwurst at Germany), and the leftovers from the dinners out we are fine for lunches and some dinners. We often have sald fixings and pizza for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter