Digital Membership Cards?

That is the big question because all the information coming out of MS (that I have gotten and I just went on to chat and got the same info as the other day) is that the digital scanning to qualify will be needed and that what is on the website will be disappearing once all the glitches are gone.

Having said that, there should be a way to do both with having the digital aspect able to pull up on a magic band, or even if DVC owners who do not want to or own a smart phone, can get it added to a card when they check in for that trip, like they can for your park ticket if you don't have a Magic Band.

I also sent an email to Membership Satisfaction this morning explaining how disappointing it is...and quiet franking not acceptable...that more details have not come out because there is too much misinformation out there right now.

If you read the silly answer in the FAQ's that I posted earlier, it indicates that there won't be an option but to use someone else's smartphone...well, that is not going to work or go over well...

Right now, I was told that next week, the current temporary card will still be accepted since the system is a work in progress and being rolled out. Restaurants and stores already have the machines to scan as they do it for Magic Bands, so I don't think that will be the issue.

Let's hope we get something soon from DVC, especially if those of us with trips coming up soon keep emailing them to give us more info!
Thank you for the insight. This is very disappointing, for sure. I like your idea of having it pull up on a magic band or adding it to a card. But that makes WAY too much sense, which means they won't do it.

We'll see how this all plays out when things get going. MS's position is not always the way things are applied, as is evidenced by how things have been applied up until this point. MS is always going to give their policy as the way things are done, until you actually get in the parks/hotels and see what is being accepted. I fully expect MS to say the only way to get the discounts will be the QR code, because that is their policy (which is pretty rigid, but that is another story). I have a feeling that many CMs will have a little compassion for DVC guests (especially older ones) who can't figure out the new system but have other proof of eligibility for discounts.

Nothing like making things a major hassle for all DVC members because a few were getting discounts who were not eligible for them. Way to overreact, DVC! And DVC's guidance is to use someone else's smartphone??? That is completely ridiculous.

Let us know your experience from your trip!

Places have been using queries for verification for things for decades at this point. A QR code or a barcode via any means should be capable of handling and protecting the measly 10% discount.
Yes, but under the Membership and Passes section of MDE there is nothing to do that and nothing to distinguish white vs blue card. Using Magic Mobile or having a QR code that can be pulled up on the member site should work along with ID but I don't think they're going to do that on the member site.

Yes, but under the Membership and Passes section of MDE there is nothing to do that and nothing to distinguish white vs blue card. Using Magic Mobile or having a QR code that can be pulled up on the member site should work along with ID but I don't think they're going to do that on the member site.

I understand it isn't there but all they have to do is add it. True of so many things they are way over complicating.

his club ID will be the same, though on the account it may have a .1 or .2. Your husband actually has to be the person on the phone with MS. While I originally set up my account and my husbands account when we joined, my adult daughter didn’t. Mom does it all. Later she needed to do it because she has a different address. I tried to do it for her and MS said, they had to set it up with her for security reasons. So she called and they set it up with her on the phone. It was easy and didn’t take long.
As the primary owner, when I added my wife and adult son, I was able to get both their member ID's and their activation codes via chat in about 2 minutes. For some reason, the original emails that were supposed to go to them with the activation links disappeared (it may have been during one of their "outages"). Got them both set up with their own access to DVC and in turn adding it to MDE in another 5 or 10 minutes total.

Another member here who purchased resale before the cut-off. My affiliation has "DVC ND", but I am eligible for discounts. I dug out my plastic cards (with 12-31 expiration) for my impending trip and grabbed a screenshot of my temporary card on the website. Hopefully that's enough to get my food discounts.... b'cause I'm hungry.

Another member here who purchased resale before the cut-off. My affiliation has "DVC ND", but I am eligible for discounts. I dug out my plastic cards (with 12-31 expiration) for my impending trip and grabbed a screenshot of my temporary card on the website. Hopefully that's enough to get my food discounts.... b'cause I'm hungry.

All reports are that they are working on this but because it will take a few weeks to fix, temporary cards will be available for use through the end of January now. So you should be all set!

I wonder if this is all because white card holders were able to get APs. I still think white card holders should have access to the AP discounts I don't see why Disney created such a mess with all this anyway. White card holders pay their annual dues like blue card holders and for some the resort they want is not sold direct.

I wonder if this is all because white card holders were able to get APs. I still think white card holders should have access to the AP discounts I don't see why Disney created such a mess with all this anyway. White card holders pay their annual dues like blue card holders and for some the resort they want is not sold direct.
Because they need "perks" to get people to pay a higher premium when purchasing from Disney. This make Disney $$$. Resale does not. There also are no discounts on APs anymore. There is a lower priced AP that is only available to FL residents and DVC Blue Card members.

I think that may have played a role but also Disney, not just DVC, has been moving to more digital services. It’s the parks division that has to enforce discounts so IMO, they are trying to streamline it all.

Dues have nothing to do with perks, They are incidental benefits that DVD offers for the product they sell so they do get to decide who they want to offer them to and make a deal with others to offer them.

It allows them to offer something to increase sales.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for training of CM's to distinguish between white and blue cards. CM's in order to get discounts have to show their "blue" ID card. Third party employees have "green" cards that don't receive the same discounts. Apparently that is easy enough for them to distinguish between.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for training of CM's to distinguish between white and blue cards. CM's in order to get discounts have to show their "blue" ID card. Third party employees have "green" cards that don't receive the same discounts. Apparently that is easy enough for them to distinguish between.

A more simple option would have been to get rid of the white membership identification and leave the temporary one month blue card for qualified owners up along with adding the Magic Mobile piece as an option for those who want to use it.

White card owners don’t need to have anything saying they are DVC really. So, if that was not there, nothing to show, and easy for the CM!

Because they need "perks" to get people to pay a higher premium when purchasing from Disney. This make Disney $$$. Resale does not. There also are no discounts on APs anymore. There is a lower priced AP that is only available to FL residents and DVC Blue Card members.

Yeah, it's all so Disney can sell the same points twice.

It's also like the idea of a new car losing value as soon as you drive it off the lot. Even if you purchase directly from Disney, the points immediately lose value, because they cannot be resold with the same level of perks. It's... definitely something (that's the best I can come up with without being too insulting).

A more simple option would have been to get rid of the white membership identification and leave the temporary one month blue card for qualified owners up along with adding the Magic Mobile piece as an option for those who want to use it.

White card owners don’t need to have anything saying they are DVC really. So, if that was not there, nothing to show, and easy for the CM!
I think White card members can pool hop and go to Top of the World Lounge.

I’ve been asked for my DVC twice while pool hopping and always was asked for my card to access Top of the World Lounge.

I think White card members can pool hop and go to Top of the World Lounge.

I’ve been asked for my DVC twice while pool hopping and always was asked for my card to access Top of the World Lounge.

But, pool hopping and those things don’t exist now. And, even if they did, the designation of DVC on Magic Mobile or in MDE would be enough to support those with no card.

I have no doubt that is the intention, but like everything there are not absolutes. Again, not everyone has Apple Wallet. My in laws still use flip phones...seriously. There will need to be alternatives for people who don't use Apple Wallet. If a blue card DVC member goes to pay for a shirt and shows the CM their digital card on the DVC site that shows they get the discount, that CM is supposed to say no? I find that hard to believe. There will be a way for the CM to apply the discount without the QR code. I totally see your point and I get that is the purpose of this, but with things like this there are always alternatives because not everyone fits nicely into the same box.
For the interim yes but it does say on the DVC website that they will be removing the digital cards

I agree … i am trying to think of how explain this to my parents, who are in their 60s and relatively tech savvy… in the end they will just give me their phones and tell me to do it :laughing: I can’t imagine this rolls out smoothly and that the majority of members figure out how to add this.

DH and I are a bit older than your parents. Both pretty tech savvy but stumped. DH linked his MDE but when I try to link mine (I already had it from previous trips), it says the account is already linked to DH. sigh....We leave tomorrow for VB for a week then WDW for 2 weeks. Hoping someone there can help.

I added a credit card before trying to add Magic Mobile, because others on this thread had commented that a credit card must be added. I removed the credit card from my wallet after trying because, again, I am not going to have a credit card linked to my wallet. I don't think it is the safest thing. I will either access my digital card from the DVC site or access my proof of membership from MDE when I am at WDW. From what I understand, the digital version on the DVC will not be going away.
I do not have a credit card in my Apple Wallet and never have had one. I was able to add the digital DVC card without a credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter