Did you see the temporary closures starting Jan 10, 2016?

And, I wouldn't have booked a trip for May! I am not a fan of Star Wars whatsoever so to me this is all a big disappointment. We may cancel our trip and return in a few years. Disneyland has become a totally different place and with the amount of money it costs.... I'll probably be vacationing elsewhere for a while.

I am also not a fan and am very very disappointed they are adding SWL to Disneyland. That is something that should be in Hollywood Stuidos in FL (which it will be) and if it has to be here it should be in DCA. Not liking any of this at all.

I was planning on going in June of 2016. I wanted to see the 60th Anniversary stuff one more time before they took it down. I'm not going back now. I will wait until everything is done. I like Star Wars but I would rather keep Disneyland they way it is now. I really think that they should have put Star Wars Land in WDW first to see how it goes then, Disneyland. I'm very upset!

I think that SWL is a perfect fit for Holloywood Studios (or whatever it's going to be called soon) and that there is NO reason to mess up DL with it!

I love that CA has Carsland and it is staying unique. The overseas parks have unique areas / attractions, too. Why not leave SWL in Florida and stop messing with Walt's Park?

I hate that they are removing an area unique to DL (Big Thunder Ranch) and replacing it with SWL. I saw a comment a few weeks ago that sums up my feelings -- "It's like Toy Story!! The Cowboy is being bumped for a Space Man!!!" ;)

The one thing I am slightly happy about is that because of the closures I think a lot of people will stay away from the park, which means hopefully it will be less crowded for those of us who are still going to be there!!

be careful of what you wish....when the rivers were boarded in 2010 or 2011, I can't remember, there was no magic in the ROA. a lot of construction noise and a definite feel that we were not in Disneyland. I will not visit a boarded ROA again, and with the train.....well I feel sorry for folks who have made plans. But with 2017-2019 now on the horizon as being pure chaos, then 2016 will be that last hurrah of an empty park, ever!!

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney

DisneyLand has already changed a lot since my first visit, 30 years ago. It had changed a lot from when my dad went there as a kid. Change at DisneyLand is nothing new. The magic is still there and it won't go away. It will continue to be a fun place to enjoy with the kids and as an adult. I'm not worried about that ever changing. :)

I am very disappointed to read this. Aside from the SWL which I am not a fan of at all, for me, it's the closing of the RR which is upsetting. I would love if it were being re-imagined even a little bit and closed for that for a little while. I sincerely count on the RR to save on walking. If it truly closes for a year+ that will limit some of what I am able to do.

Davin_Felth, I do love that quote of Walt's :) Lol, I just personally wish it'd grow in other ways but am glad for those of you happy about SWL :)

....Oh yes, the magic will always be there but it won't be in the ROA area....or the clanging of the bell at Main Street Staion....or the ever mind etching "Grand Circle tour....all aboard!!!!!!!!!" For 2016 it will have changed the magic.

If anything SWL, belonged in Tomorrowland! So, while Tomorrowland sits there in its current sad state.... Disney puts more money into a new land.
I am all for change, and I LOVE the new Buena Vista Street, and Carsland, and the new Grizzly Peak area......... I just wish they would have just fixed Tomorrowland, before adding a new land to DL...
I too have been going since 1976, and want the best for Walts Park.

--Lori

It makes me wonder where in the world they are building Star Wars Land (because that is what these closures are for)

I don't think the closures of the RR or ROA will create a void in DL that would result in an empty or less crowded park. Today's crowds (ie pre SWL) however will be much different than levels once SWL opens. The park as everyone now knows it will be different in a few years. Who knows how this will affect the overall feel of the park. Crowds may be distributed better, obviously SWL will be jam packed when it opens and attract a fan base that might otherwise not be your typical DLR visitor...or it could be bedlam. The good thing if you're not a SW fan is that SWL is at the back of the park so you can avoid it if you have no interest in going there. If you're a SW fan the good thing is that it's SWL and Disney will be promoting a whole lot of the Galaxy Far Far Away for the next several years or so.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney

DisneyLand has already changed a lot since my first visit, 30 years ago. It had changed a lot from when my dad went there as a kid. Change at DisneyLand is nothing new. The magic is still there and it won't go away. It will continue to be a fun place to enjoy with the kids and as an adult. I'm not worried about that ever changing. :)

Perfectly put, I agree completely! pixiedust:

I hope against hope, they re-work the walkways then.... can you imagine all the new people, trying to see SWL, walking through the already packed Adventureland???

--Lori

I don't think Adventureland will be impacted. My bet is the entrance will be where Thunder BBQ is now, so most traffic will go through Frontierland or back through Fantasyland and cut over.

Do you think the ROA will really be boarded up for this? The article didn't state that, right? I was hoping they just wouldn't be using the ROA for ships and Fantasmic but would still be filled with water and visible. Also, do you think this construction building SWL will effect the monorail as well??

Does Fantasmic run al year round now? I remember it didn't always do that but with this announced closure and them including Fantasmic on the list I wondering. (Though yes I know they put it on the list because the closure will be for over a year) But they sad January 10, 2016 will be the last day to see Fantasmic and I didn't think Fantasmic an in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter