Did Disney drop the dress code?

I think asking if there is a dress code is perfectly fine. I do not see a reason to ask if people think they look "good that way." If you are truly interested, you can find this information on the Disney Land park rules page: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/#guest-courtesy-and-attire-policies

• Proper attire, including shoes and shirts, must be worn at all times. Clothing that drags on the ground is prohibited in theme parks. Clothing with multiple layers is subject to search. We reserve the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that we consider inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests. Visible tattoos that could be considered inappropriate, such as those containing objectionable language or designs, are not permitted. There are specific costume guidelines for special events such as Halloween parties; please refer to the additional policies applicable to those events.

Well now....
Reading through this thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day....

I remember as a kid having to dress up when we went in the 50's and 60's.
How times have changed over the years.

We saw this last October as well. There was one lady in particular that had on a shirt you should see through that was very high cut. We were surprised to see such skimpy clothing but it was hot out. I don't care when people wear small clothing at all, male or female. As long as they are comfortable. I did find the see through shirt a bit much. I averted my eyes each time we passed her on switchbacks but I will say there were many who didn't mind the view as they walked by.

I can’t say I’ve seen genitalia, but I have seen some clothing choices lately that make me want to cover my kids’ eyes. I’ve also seen and heard a lot of “un-Disney” actions and language in recent months. More so than in the past. But I just look away and move on. What else can you do?

I agree with Geemo, this thread has been interesting to read! I'm entertained when people go back and forth over things that are just opinions. Overall my world view is that modesty is becoming less and less important to people and dress codes and standards almost don't exist anymore. I wish they still existed, but what can I do? Some think respecting bodies means covering them up (I fall here); others think respect means showing their body off (so in answer to the question: yes, I believe some do think they look good that way). The other funny thing to note in these types of opinion-focused debates is folks accusing others of being judgmental--thereby showing that they are judgmental too. :) Social media is so often a debate over opinions and telling others they are wrong. My judgmental belief is that we are all judgmental. Definitely going to keep reading this thread! ;)

Again, the OP said nothing about bodies, just choice of clothes. Calling out someone for letting their genitals show at Disneyland is not body shaming.
Their original post said nothing about genitals. It said, “Just got back and was very underwhelmed but what some people were wearing. I wouldn't want to see that at the beach, let alone flopping around on the rides at Disneyland. My big question is, do people actually think they look good that way.” Since the majority of beaches are not nude beaches, and it’d be pretty difficult to see someone else’s genitalia “flopping around” around rides, many (including myself) assumed they were judging people with “floppy” bodies wearing revealing clothing. It sounded a lot like body shaming to me. It wasn’t until the OP got pushback from others that they then clarified they had seen genitalia “several times” during their trip (which I personally believe is an exaggeration in response to others telling them to mind their own business).

We've noticed this too, but more like 3+ years ago. Many, many young women wear shorts that are so short we started calling them negative inseam.

We've even had times where we've avoided a ride vehicle because of the person who just got off (teacups - our little one went straight for the pink cup and unfortunately a late teens/early 20s woman got off and appeared to be sticking to the bench as she was sliding along to get out wearing shorts that barely covered half of her butt...I directed my little one to a different cup and whispered to my husband "negative inseam alert!"). I don't want to sit in someone else's butt sweat that had no covering...that's grody.

I don't have an issue with all body types wearing what is most comfortable, but at least have stuff covered. Go for the short shorts, just not the bootie shorts - please! People shouldn't have their buns hanging out of their jorts.

Well now....
Reading through this thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day....

I remember as a kid having to dress up when we went in the 50's and 60's.
How times have changed over the years.

My daughter mentioned that yesterday. She wanted to know how the ladies did it in dresses and heels!!!!!

I can’t say I’ve seen genitalia, but I have seen some clothing choices lately that make me want to cover my kids’ eyes. I’ve also seen and heard a lot of “un-Disney” actions and language in recent months. More so than in the past. But I just look away and move on. What else can you do?

I’ve really noticed the bad language recently which I feel is new.

Side note since we live in the same town…. We were down at the pier beach on a Friday afternoon and a woman took off her entire bikini and went into the ocean. Then came out and spent forever drying off. My six year old didn’t notice but my 11 year old sure did. I swear, people are CRAZY.

Fortunately we haven’t seen that much of anyone at Disneyland. 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Disneyland is not the only place this occurs…I see it everywhere from Walmart to the mall, sporting events, any public venue. I was shocked at how people dress to travel anymore. Same for profanity …I think people use the f word so much, it isn’t even a swear word, it’s just part of the vernacular of our country these days.

Like so many things, what seems offensive to one person is perfectly normal to another. You just have to put those blinders on and move on. Think a snarky thought to yourself if it makes you feel better…😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter