Diapers for older children?

Where did you read such a thing?????

I have never heard this suggestion before. There are restrooms all over the place. I can't imagine. I just can't.

This thread made me think of the astronaut killer who wore depends so she wouldn't have to stop for a potty break during her getaway.

If your child does not have medical problems and is potty trained, I cannot see why you would ever want to put a diaper on them. Nor can I see a child that would want to wear a diaper.

I can see bringing a night time pull up if they still have accidents overnight. After touring the parks all day they will be really tired and I can see kids not waking up to go to the bathroom.

This thread made me think of the astronaut killer who wore depends so she wouldn't have to stop for a potty break during her getaway.

If your child does not have medical problems and is potty trained, I cannot see why you would ever want to put a diaper on them. Nor can I see a child that would want to wear a diaper.

I can see bringing a night time pull up if they still have accidents overnight. After touring the parks all day they will be really tired and I can see kids not waking up to go to the bathroom.

:thumbsup2 ITA

Thanks, bumbershoot. That makes sense to me now.

Why not just buy a big box of depends for the whole family! Imagine how much more touring time there'd be if no need for bathroom breaks! :eek:

Ewww.... I don't want to be behind that stinky family in line!! :rotfl:

Sounds like someone is trying to give their child a fetish. **WARNING** This was a joke, intended only if the OP's child was healthy and not in need of diapers for medical reasons.

My son will be 4 when we go in Dec and I didn't even think about him needing a diaper or a pull up while he was there. He finally got the hang of using the potty a couple of months ago. Granted he still wears a pull up night because sometimes, he doesn't quite make it to the potty in the middle of the night. I am hoping that by the tiime we go in Dec, we won't need to bring any pull ups.

If we are in line and if either of my children need to go to the restroom, I will be taking them out of line to go. It is not that big of deal to get back in line with dh and child that didn't have to go.

I guess I am just flabbergasted that people would put a child of that age into a diaper for convience.

IMHO this kind of thing could really scar a kid for life. The lady astronaut was my first thought when I read that last night!

I know their are children who have medically issues, those are NOT the children I am talking about. I am talking about perfectly healthy 8 year olds.

Folks, this is a vacation--not a top secret covert mission.
Take the kids to the bathroom.

When my kids were little we always did a pit stop whether they needed it or not. The rules here were simple: use the bathroom and wash your hands, or we weren't getting in line. No bathroom use, no line.

In the unlikely chance one of the kids needed a restroom break while we were in line, we left the line. Actually had this happened once, at the very front of Buzz Lightyear. DH had been in line for about 45 minutes with both kids. DS (about 7) wanted to do the ride badly, but DD (about 5) decided she had to go to the bathroom and could not ride. DH took both kids out of line, because DS was too little to ride on his own. DS, now almost 16, still remembers it.
After that incident no one ever got in line without a restroom break.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. How does the conversation with the 8 year old child go? "I know you are a big kid but it's not convenient during our vacation to take sudden bathroom breaks so let's treat you like a toddler again and put you back in a diaper." My children would be mortified. Last time we went to Disney my youngest daughter was five. We were at Hollywood Studios in the middle of learning how to draw Mickey. Dd said she had to go to the bathroom. We had to leave. Sure, it was disappointing that we missed the rest of the class but it wasn't the end of the world. If you want to put a fully potty trained kid in a diaper at Disney, where does it end? Something tells me if a parent is willing to put an 8 year old child in a diaper at Disney, they may be willing to do it in other situations. Does the parent decide to put the child in a diaper at the movie theater so they don't have to be interrupted midway through the movie? I would imagine it would make the child feel pretty bad.
*as others mentioned, I am only referring to children who have no health issues.

Our yougest son was 8 on our trip in 2006. I can't even imagine putting a diaper on him for any reason when he was that age. And if I tried he would have been horrified and protested very loudly!

Avoiding potty emergencies just takes a little thought and planning. Check the wait time on a ride and determine if you should go before getting in line. Sure, younger kids might still have to leave the line and go but older ones can manage more easily. They certainly don't need a diaper!

Why not just buy a big box of depends for the whole family! Imagine how much more touring time there'd be if no need for bathroom breaks! :eek:

:lmao::rotfl::lmao::rotfl::lmao::rotfl::lmao::rotfl::lmao::rotfl:...that's was a great answer....

Bathrooms are a plenty at WDW...my first thought was that if a parent is that lazy to take their kids to the bathroom, the kid probably isn't potty trained yet anyway.

I just told my 8 yr old about this and he looked at my like I was crazy!!! I always just brought extra clothes when he was little, just in case, but would never put him back in diapers. I was so glad to get rid of them in the first place!

I think the original post was a hoax intended to get people worked up about this. It can't be serious.

I think the diaper thing for older kids is totally totally odd. After my 5 year old had abdominal surgery, he kept having pee accidents for about 5-6 days after, something about the area being swollen and he wouldn't feel the "signals" of having to pee. So we had him use pull ups for about 6 days, and even THAT upset him and embarrassed him, but he couldn't physically run to the bathroom quickly.

Now, if my dd is finally potty trained when we go, I might consider pull ups for the airplane, as she'd be newly potty trained.

Oh and my 5 year old DOES still sleep in pull ups overnight as he has accidents. To me that is very very different than putting an awake, potty trained OLDER child in diapers. yikes.

I think the original post was a hoax intended to get people worked up about this. It can't be serious.

Nah, she saw this on some website and wanted to see what others thought of it -- she already said she's not going to diaper her 12 year old. :eek:

If those quotes are really on a WDW how-to website, I can't even believe it! How ridiculous!

I just told my 8 yr old about this and he looked at my like I was crazy!!! I always just brought extra clothes when he was little, just in case, but would never put him back in diapers. I was so glad to get rid of them in the first place!

Just for kicks, I asked both of my girls if they would want me to put them in diapers in case they had to go while we were in a long line and they also looked at me like I was crazy. lol.
My 8 year old ( Disney fanatic)said that she would rather stay home if it got to that point. I do bring extra clothes for both girls in case they get wet on a water ride and want to change.
I do understand that some kids have some medical issues and I have no problem with them wearing diapers. My niece is 9, has Down Syndrome and gets nervous about things and will have accidents. She was completely potty trained about a year ago and my sister will not reverse things and put her back in a diaper. She is always prepared and will brings 2 sets of extra clothes for her.
If you know you will be waiting for awhile in line, you stop at the bathroom beforehand. They are everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter