Diapers for older children?

alexis_fate

Mouseketeer
I was reading some tips/hints on going to Disney World on the internet. I came across a tip for putting older children in diapers, up to 8 years old. Keep in mind there is nothing medically wrong with these children. It is so that there will not be accidents.

Does anybody do this? I have been carrying my daughter since age 6 and never even thought about it.

I am in no way trying to start a debate, I just wondered if anyone does this?

I think thati s going WAAYYYYY too far. Just take the kid to the bathroom!! What people will come up with to keep from getting out of line!

I haven't been able to put a dipe or training pant on DS since he was 2.5...I mean, I haven't really tried, but I doubt I could without seriously pinning him down and getting much more authoritarian with him than we care to be...

And he's only 5...

Since this seems like a good idea to put here... I recently read that someone gets the cheapie glow bracelets/necklaces to disney. And along with just wearing them at the parks, at night they take the ones from that evening and put them as markings of a path to the bathroom, so people are not stumbling around, lost and confused, in the dark. That might be a nicer option than a dipe or training pant for long-trained kids who don't have accidents at home!

my DS is 8 and he would have an absolute fit if I tried to put a diaper or training pants on him. When he was about 4 he had a really bad stomach virus, both ends going at once explosively. Anyway, he was going through underwear at record speed and I knew I had an old package of disposable training pants in the bottom of the linen closet. I suggested that he wear the training pants just while he was sick and he was horrified at the suggestion. He flately refused to wear the training pants because he said "they're for babies and I'm not a baby"

Once my kids were potty trained they would never have agreed to wear a diaper again. I just don't understand why anyone would want to do that to their child to avoid getting out of line:confused3.

That's ridiculous! Make sure to stop at the bathroom before joining long lines and take regular potty breaks, at least once every 2 hours. You will minimize the chance your child will have an accident. If you are that worried about it, pack a change of clothes in your park bag. Which is a good idea anyway in case something gets spilled or your child gets soaked in the water play areas.

I can't imagine putting DD6 in a diaper. I will admit that I held off on hardcore potty training until after our WDW visit in 2006. She was 2.5 yo and I figured it would be easier having her in diapers on the plane and at WDW than having a newly potty trained toddler.

I would never put my DD in a diaper, but nighttime pull ups (not sure what they are called) may not be a bad idea. She still occasionally still has a nightime accident and a friend of mine said her son who never had accidents had a couple of night time mishaps at disney. He was just so worn out and sleepy he just didn't wake up before it was too late.

Can't see there being a need, washrooms are every where at WDW. Your never more than a very short walk to one. Just check your park map and you'll have no problem planning pit stops, or quick unplaned runs. :thumbsup2

you cant be serious. i dont think you will have to wrry about starting a debate, since a debate means that there are two sides to an issue.

you cant be serious. i dont think you will have to wrry about starting a debate, since a debate means that there are two sides to an issue.

Don't be so sure.

I've read some crazy things on the DIS. I'm willing to bet there's someone here that thinks this is a great idea.:rotfl:

It sounds crazy to me, too. I can't imagine putting an older child in diapers *at* WDW.

On the other hand, I did see an older child (6-ish) have an accident on the airplane. He said he had to go, but we were experiencing turbulence and no one was allowed out of their seats. He apparently couldn't hold it. When DD was 4, I put her in a pull-up for our flight (she was potty trained before she was 3) because she's an "I gotta go *now*" kind of girl. But it was just for the flight. She didn't need it, but she would have been *mortified* to have an accident on the plane. We made frequent potty stops at the parks and she was totally fine.

Why not just buy a big box of depends for the whole family! Imagine how much more touring time there'd be if no need for bathroom breaks! :eek:

:scared1:

I'm confused on the "carrying my daughter since age 6" comment. Do you mean as opposed to a stroller?

Why not just buy a big box of depends for the whole family! Imagine how much more touring time there'd be if no need for bathroom breaks! :eek:

Why stop at depends?

Add baby bottles to list, maybe 2 or 3 per person. You can head down the food court each morning to fill them up free soda,tea,punch...

Don't forget the super size strollers. You need something to push the teens in when they get tired of walking around the parks.

Okay I could see the other side to this - if you have an older child who still has accidents at home, I could see doing this not diapers or training pants but underjammers. If MY CHILD where worried about having an accident then I would do it as a back up if THEY were worried. I think that would be a lot less traumatic then an 8 year old having an accident in front of a million people. I know that I've had a few kids in my care have accidents at camp when they were 5 and it was very traumatic they didn't want to see anyone and they refused to come out of their cabin for the rest of the day. I would hate my child to go through that so if there was concern I wouldn't have an issue using underjammers or something like that.

My dauaughter does have bladder issues, and has had two surgeries, but if the child has no medical problems I would not do this. My daughter does not use any tye of diaper and can go days to months without an accident. The key is to just be prepared for the accident. She is almost 10 and we just carry extra clothes.
I feel an extra set of clothes is a must, not just for potty accidents, but what if your child spills a drink all over themselves.

:scared1:

I'm confused on the "carrying my daughter since age 6" comment. Do you mean as opposed to a stroller?

I bet she meant she has taken her kids to WDW since the daughter was 6...it's really the only way it makes sense in the context of the sentence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter