Depart Saturday- I’m sick (and also a spa question)

Jessie2013

Earning My Ears
Last week I came down with a virus- flu like symptoms but influenza test was negative. I still have a lingering cough. What can I expect the procedure to be at check-in when they ask? Does a cough automatically prohibit you from traveling? It is helpful if I bring my negative influenza test?

Also, assuming all is OK and I can cruise. We anticipate staying on board for one of the port days, Jamaica. I am hoping for a spa treatment that day, how significant are the discounts for port days? When is the best time to book for best pricing on those days?

Thank you.

don't tell them you have a cough...take cough suppressant when you check in...

if you tell them anything, you'll open up a pandora's box...
honesty is not the best policy in this case..
you said it's just the tailend of your illness...keep it to yourself..

A cough alone will probably do nothing. But a cough and a fever within 24 hours of boarding? You are exposing everyone on board to whatever you have if you lie on the form.

As for the spa...I have no clue as I avoid them because of the hard sell for products.

I'd throw the paper work in your day bag and have it on you just in case they ask. Viral coughs can literally last for weeks, so I don't think the cough alone is worrisome. If that is your only symptom (no fever, no congestion, etc), then I would be sure to take your own cough meds/drops on the ship, so you don't get any sideways glances from everyone else when you start coughing. But Vitamin-Sea may be just what the doctor ordered! :-)

Some people have chronic lung issues where they cough all the time. A lingering cough is not contagious. I would not worry about it. I feel bad for the people sleeping in the same room as you though....LoL. Don't forget the cough meds.

Yep, that's me. I have asthma and while it is mostly controlled, I can end up with a cough which will last months if I get a respiratory virus. It takes a few months of inhaled steroids to clear it up. It's not fun to have people looking at you like you're Typhoid Mary when you know you aren't contagious.

But to just reiterate for the OP, it's only a problem if you have a cough and a fever. You can answer the health form honestly and not be denied boarding.

Yep, that's me. I have asthma and while it is mostly controlled, I can end up with a cough which will last months if I get a respiratory virus. It takes a few months of inhaled steroids to clear it up. It's not fun to have people looking at you like you're Typhoid Mary when you know you aren't contagious.

But to just reiterate for the OP, it's only a problem if you have a cough and a fever. You can answer the health form honestly and not be denied boarding.
I've had a chronic cough for 25 years. It can sound really awful at times. I've thought about getting a shirt that says "I'm not contagious!":rotfl2:Seriously though, I understand the looks. It can make one self-conscious. I just try to let people know as soon as I can that it's nothing for them to worry about. As far as cough meds go, nothing helps much. I just do what I can to try to minimize it, especially around others. And yes, I've seen multiple doctors and no-one has really figured it out. I sympathize with anyone in a similar situation.

Keep it to yourself. You got the test, all ok. Coughs can last weeks. People are in a fantasy world if they think on a ship the cruisine can control what ilnesses may board. Ships have a population more than most small towns. Take a town of 4000. At no time are all healthy 100%

Keep the truth to yourself, and spread your illness to others...Nice philosophy.
It’s not contagious without a fever. Post nasal drip and a cough are normal things.

I suffer from non allergy chronic rhinitis. A runny nose all the time basically. I use medicine to help control it. I don’t have to report that. If I get the sniffles. I know it’s not a cold and there is not a damn thing they can do to me.

Unless you also have a fever, it’s not a problem. Answer the questions honestly. Always.

Yes, this. As long as you can answer the question about fever, there won't be a problem. They won't question you over a cough. My DS actually got sick on a Magic cruise a few years ago and we were sailing B2B. When we re-checked in for the second cruise, I had to be honest on the form as he was just within the timeframe of the question asked. I explained to the CM's what he had experienced in terms of illness on the Magic (he was just very tired and had a slight fever which was then gone) and they had someone (I'm assuming it was someone part of the med staff) look at him and he was cleared to board. I just, personally, did not feel comfortable lying on the form. But, again, if your fever is gone, you won't have an issue.

I'll answer the spa question. We happened to wander by the gym just as the spa was doing their embarkation raffle. At the end, they had a special that if you booked on a port day, you got a good deal but it needed to be booked then, so I did, as I too was planning on staying onboard one day. As far as the selling of products, I took others advice from here and wrote " no products sales please". She honored my request

I'll answer the spa question. We happened to wander by the gym just as the spa was doing their embarkation raffle. At the end, they had a special that if you booked on a port day, you got a good deal but it needed to be booked then, so I did, as I too was planning on staying onboard one day. As far as the selling of products, I took others advice from here and wrote " no products sales please". She honored my request

Unfortunately they do not always respect that. When my dad decided he wanted a massage, we wrote it in all caps at the top of every page and under his signature. He still got the sales pitch.

Keep the truth to yourself, and spread your illness to others...Nice philosophy.

he said it's the tail end of the cough...he is not sick...he is on the road to recovery...
but if you say anything about it when you check in, you are opening a pandoras box...
the moment you say anything, DCL is then required by the health authorities to make a federal case out of it..
a lingering cough is not illness....many people have lingering coughs..
DD has asthma...when she catches a cold the cough can linger on for weeks, if not months...but she's not sick...she just has that annoying lingering asthma related cough...
reporting it to DCL would require paperwork up the wazoo and might prevent her from boarding the ship..
not advisable...

he said it's the tail end of the cough...he is not sick...he is on the road to recovery...
but if you say anything about it when you check in, you are opening a pandoras box...
the moment you say anything, DCL is then required by the health authorities to make a federal case out of it..
a lingering cough is not illness....many people have lingering coughs..
DD has asthma...when she catches a cold the cough can linger on for weeks, if not months...but she's not sick...she just has that annoying lingering asthma related cough...
reporting it to DCL would require paperwork up the wazoo and might prevent her from boarding the ship..
not advisable...

Once again, the form asks about a cough AND a fever. The OP can answer the question honestly and not have any issues. DCL will not "make a federal case out of" a cough.

Unless you also have a fever, it’s not a problem. Answer the questions honestly. Always.

I’m wondering what the procedure is. I indicate I have a cough, and then what? Who determines if my cough is acceptable? The person checking us in? Do I have to see medical before I board? Am I separated from the rest of my party while they determine my suitability for travel? Thank you.

I’m wondering what the procedure is. I indicate I have a cough, and then what? Who determines if my cough is acceptable? The person checking us in? Do I have to see medical before I board? Am I separated from the rest of my party while they determine my suitability for travel? Thank you.
If you don't have a fever with your cough, you check "no" on the form and nothing happens. If you were to have a fever and a cough, you check yes, then you will most likely be seen by medical staff who will check you out and determine if you are okay to travel. I've never been in that position before so I can't comment on what the medical staff might do to evaluate you.

We just got off of the Magic yesterday and we did not have to fill out a health form and were asked no health related questions. I don't remember this happening before. ALso, on another note, you no longer have to fill out a customs form unless you have something to declare. Yay! This has changed since we sailed 2/2017.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter