Depart Saturday- I’m sick (and also a spa question)

he said it's the tail end of the cough...he is not sick...he is on the road to recovery...
but if you say anything about it when you check in, you are opening a pandoras box...
the moment you say anything, DCL is then required by the health authorities to make a federal case out of it..
a lingering cough is not illness....many people have lingering coughs..
DD has asthma...when she catches a cold the cough can linger on for weeks, if not months...but she's not sick...she just has that annoying lingering asthma related cough...
reporting it to DCL would require paperwork up the wazoo and might prevent her from boarding the ship..
not advisable...

I didn't see where it was said "not sick" Looks like the description was "came down with a virus- flu like symptoms" the test was only for Flu. It is a crime to lie on a medical form when traveling into or out of the country, never a good idea even if there is no concern for fellow passengers. I know people fly sick all the time, there are no required medical forms while boarding the plane. In the upper Midwest there has been a "flue-like" virus going around most of the winter, it is very contagious and has closed entire grades of schools. When 40% of the school gets the virus there is a shut down with full scrub down following CDC guidelines. Medical staff at check in can tell the difference between a "lingering cough" and a viral infection, answer questions honestly.

I’m wondering what the procedure is. I indicate I have a cough, and then what? Who determines if my cough is acceptable? The person checking us in? Do I have to see medical before I board? Am I separated from the rest of my party while they determine my suitability for travel? Thank you.

You will be given a form when you check in. On that form is a series of health questions - have you visited certain countries, are you more than 24 weeks pregnant, etc.? It also asks if you have a fever PLUS a cough, runny nose or sore throat. If you only have a cough and no fever, you can mark no.

They also ask (or did when we sailed), if you've had vomiting or diarrhea over the past two days. If you haven't, you can mark no on that question as well.

Again, if you ONLY have a cough and no fever, no vomiting and no diarrhea, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Simply mark no on the form and you are on your way.

If you DO have a fever AND a cough (or vomiting or diarrhea), you mark yes by those questions and then a member of the ship medical staff comes over to where you are checking in and basically just looks at you (that's what he did to my son anyway). The form indicates you will be allowed to travel unless you are suspected to have an illness of "international public health concern".

Again, if you only have a cough, you have nothing to worry about.

Skimmed the previous responses. Has anyone mentioned the fact yet that, even if you do have a virus, you are actually most contagious BEFORE you show symptoms? Since s/he has already survived the worst of the virus, I suspect OP is just fine.

Also, I am never in favor of being dishonest on the health form. Just putting that out there.

We just got off of the Magic yesterday and we did not have to fill out a health form and were asked no health related questions. I don't remember this happening before. ALso, on another note, you no longer have to fill out a customs form unless you have something to declare. Yay! This has changed since we sailed 2/2017.

If you weren't asked to fill out the health form, then that was an oversight on the part of the CM who checked you in. It happens at the check in desk in the port terminal and is a standard part of the check in process. There is one form per stateroom. Are you certain someone you were traveling with wasn't given the form and filled it out for your stateroom?

We just got off of the Magic yesterday and we did not have to fill out a health form and were asked no health related questions. I don't remember this happening before. ALso, on another note, you no longer have to fill out a customs form unless you have something to declare. Yay! This has changed since we sailed 2/2017.

That is very interesting....I have done 40 DCL cruises and have ALWAYS had to fill out a health form at check in at the terminal. Must be a fairly new procedure.

MJ

Update - Apparently, DH did them for us and didn't mention it. He knows I hate forms. But anyway, apparently, we did do them.

My guess is that most people reporting they didn't fill out the health form have a situation like yours. Since only one form has to be filled out per stateroom, it's real easy for one of the guests in the stateroom to fill it out and no one else in the stateroom realize it was completed. When we cruised with my parents, I checked in first, then we checked them in, and I filled out the health form for them. I can't imagine DCL doing away with the form since it's their only line of defense against people with serious illness boarding the ship.

I tested negative for flu but felt like death for 2 1/2 days, no one in my house got it. Cover your cough, be addicted to hand sanitizer during your trip, take precautions, be respectful, and have fun!

I just got off the Wonder on Thursday and can attest that the health questionnaire asks if you have had a list of symptoms (cough is one of them) combined with a fever in the past 48 hours. If you can honestly answer no, then do so. There should be no problem.

As for the spa, they normally offer a daily special on some treatment or another but I don't think it is ever by default cheaper on a port day. Now, on Castaway Cay, I think the massages in the cabanas are actually more than the regular ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter