Deny Room cleaning/houssekeeping on cruise

Then when you call they say leave it in the hall..... :confused3 I've had that happen on numerous occasions across multiple cruise lines including DCL.
Yeah. That has our experience on Disney and other cruise lines. They WANT you to leave the dishes in the hall not in the cabin.

I have done it, never said anything to the room host. He did keep asking if I needed anything witch I found annoying. I have no problem if they need to enter to for security checks. I think they did call the room once, but left a message, but never heard from them again. Didn't want the cleaning, touching my stuff or anything. I find thee stuff on Youtube videos to be a bit overrated, Towel animals on the toilet, reorganizing your things, and other little things they may do. Just stay out of my way
Why would you find it annoying that they are doing their job? They are their to take care of you and your room. And you can always ask them not to rearrange your things on the counter but by not allowing them in the room you realize you just make their job harder because they can't maintain a basic level of cleanliness of your room so debarkation day they will have that much more to do when they turn the room over. Just my opinion.

Then when you call they say leave it in the hall..... :confused3 I've had that happen on numerous occasions across multiple cruise lines including DCL.
I hate that they say leave it in the hall. Last cruise somebody decided to leave it directly in front of MIL door. She is disable and uses a walker. We had to pick up all the junk that fell off the plates. I mean how rude - you didn't want it in front of your door so you leave it in front of mine.

Hmm. Not sure people who spend a few thousand dollars on a cruise are going to collect bowls of half eaten mac & cheese in their cabin. . . . . I don’t think DCL needs to start room inspections. They’re too busy collecting ducks!
I have a teenager who lives his best life on cruises getting deck food and watching movies in the room. We definitely collect bowls of half eaten mac & cheese.

I think maybe the difference is then they know there is something to come pick up? So it doesn't just sit out there for a while? In theory that makes sense; I recognize in practice that might not be how it always happens . . .

I hate that they say leave it in the hall. Last cruise somebody decided to leave it directly in front of MIL door. She is disable and uses a walker. We had to pick up all the junk that fell off the plates. I mean how rude - you didn't want it in front of your door so you leave it in front of mine.
This exactly. We have a legally blind family member who has a difficult time navigating the halls with the necessary items that are parked there. Sadly they have plowed into many food trays. Personally we leave the tray in our room. If it’s on the smelly side we bring it up to 9 or 11, scrape off any remaining food into the trash and leave dishes and tray in the designated area on top of the trash. Not hard at all.
This beloved family member had also tripped on one of those $&@$&@ ducks back in September. It was on the floor in an elevator. Thankfully family members were able to prevent a fall.

Who is responsible for the room service trays? Is it the room steward or the room service kitchen or the DCL guest? Should the tray be put outside on the floor in any case? (This isn’t really answering the OPs question . . )

Who is responsible for the room service trays? Is it the room steward or the room service kitchen or the DCL guest? Should the tray be put outside on the floor in any case? (This isn’t really answering the OPs question . . )
My understanding is that it's the room service staff/team. I don't think it's the stateroom host's responsibility, though if they're servicing a stateroom and see trays I guess they probably contact the room service team to come get it.

You'll get varying answers about putting the tray outside on the floor. Personally, I don't think anything should be put outside on the floor there-the hallways are already pretty narrow and get narrower fast when there's stuff in the hallway. We've already seen a couple examples of why leaving a tray/items in the hall is problematic. (Note: if I called room service and they told me to put the tray outside, I would. My assumption then would be that someone would be coming right away to get it, so it wouldn't be sitting out there very long in the way).

DURING the cruise. But I'd imagine that means more work for that cabin on turn-around day since there hasn't been daily cleaning going on. Yes, obviously there's a deeper clean between guests - BUT if a cabin hasn't been vacuumed or dusted all the previous cruise it's going to have to be even more thorough. And that could mean unfair work for someone who wasn't even responsible for that cabin the previous cruise if they are changing areas.
I've seen some cabins that were a complete disaster and the hosts were in their everyday. Some people are neat and clean and some aren't. I'm guessing the neat and clean are the ones that don't ask for room service. The number of people who decline room service is most likely slim to none. I wish they would go to once a day. Twice a day isn't really necessary.

I've seen some cabins that were a complete disaster and the hosts were in their everyday. Some people are neat and clean and some aren't. I'm guessing the neat and clean are the ones that don't ask for room service. The number of people who decline room service is most likely slim to none. I wish they would go to once a day. Twice a day isn't really necessary.
I like having twice a day as it means if I use the towel half way through the day they get collected and don't have 24 hours to sit and smell damp. Also if you go with once a day you'd either have beds made up all day (if using the sofa bed for example) so nowhere to sit. I'd much rather they stay as is as the idea of having the extra beds open all day would be a nightmare for space and getting around the room etc.

My husband and I make the bed (pull up the sheets) organize the room and fold any clothes that are not in the dirty suitcase or hanging up every time before we leave and we want our cabin taken care of 2xs a day. Also you are right about the disaster cabins. I don't understand how people feel that is right, I have seen rooms look like a tornado went off in them - personally I think that is the most unfair thing to the room stewards. I often wonder do people really live like that at home or are they just doing that because there is someone there to clean and they feel they can be lazy?

My husband and I make the bed (pull up the sheets) organize the room and fold any clothes that are not in the dirty suitcase or hanging up every time before we leave and we want our cabin taken care of 2xs a day. Also you are right about the disaster cabins. I don't understand how people feel that is right, I have seen rooms look like a tornado went off in them - personally I think that is the most unfair thing to the room stewards. I often wonder do people really live like that at home or are they just doing that because there is someone there to clean and they feel they can be lazy?
We are the same. I like a tidy cabin. My stuff I take care of. No one should have to do that. But to finish making the bed or fold all the towels nicely- the stuff I usually do at home? The luxury of someone taking care of the details and my cabin 2x a day is wonderful. But I am not going to trash it so someone can take care of it? That is just wrong.

I like having twice a day as it means if I use the towel half way through the day they get collected and don't have 24 hours to sit and smell damp. Also if you go with once a day you'd either have beds made up all day (if using the sofa bed for example) so nowhere to sit. I'd much rather they stay as is as the idea of having the extra beds open all day would be a nightmare for space and getting around the room etc.
We had once a day on Royal and I loved it. It does not work on Disney because of the bed situation. I don't wash my towels every time I use them at home. I'm not too sure about any smells coming from a towel on a ship or otherwise.

I'm a human tornado. My kids are tornados. My poor husband is FEMA.

We had once a day on Royal and I loved it. It does not work on Disney because of the bed situation. I don't wash my towels every time I use them at home. I'm not too sure about any smells coming from a towel on a ship or otherwise.
At home, we usually use a towel for at least 4 days, with showering daily. We also have large towel bars and a much larger bathroom that gets more ventilation so it's always dry before I even get home from work.
The only reason I don't reuse towels on a cruise is that the bathrooms are tiny, with very little air circulating, and the towels are still damp the next day. I don't pay $5-8k on a cruise to be stuck with a wet towel every day.

I personally love twice per day room servicing. It keeps the room neat and tidy which also helps alleviate any cramped feeling from being in a tiny room for a week or 2.

At home, we usually use a towel for at least 4 days, with showering daily. We also have large towel bars and a much larger bathroom that gets more ventilation so it's always dry before I even get home from work.
The only reason I don't reuse towels on a cruise is that the bathrooms are tiny, with very little air circulating, and the towels are still damp the next day. I don't pay $5-8k on a cruise to be stuck with a wet towel every day.

I personally love twice per day room servicing. It keeps the room neat and tidy which also helps alleviate any cramped feeling from being in a tiny room for a week or 2.
I don't think with once-a-day room service you'd get stuck with a wet towel every day. Hotels only have once-a-day service. They leave more than enough towels in the room and so does DCl. I shower twice a day and it's never been an issue.

I don't think with once-a-day room service you'd get stuck with a wet towel every day. Hotels only have once-a-day service. They leave more than enough towels in the room and so does DCl. I shower twice a day and it's never been an issue.
I have tried it and yes they were damp. We also like having ice in the room which doesn’t last if they only fill it once per day.
That’s great if once per day service is plenty for you. You are free to decline the evening service, the morning service, or both. There’s no reason to tell others we shouldn’t enjoy or expect a service that is part of what makes us enjoy cruising.

I travelled a bit in 2023 and if you are staying more than one night in a hotel, once a day service if often a thing of the past. We ran into a few hotel that were every other day, and one that was every three days. One hotel would do every day service if you asked, but for a $25 fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter