Denied Enrollment in DAS System, Passed Out in Line

“I get nauseous, dizzy, sweaty, and then start to lose my vision, and eventually pass out if I don’t lay down in time,” they explained. “It can happen after standing for 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or even 60 minutes….there is no set time.”
This guest definitely needs to be in a wheelchair. Even with DAS the wait will often exceed 5 minutes, which by her own account is more than long enough for her disorder to kick in. I think the CM handled her DAS request appropriately.

“I get nauseous, dizzy, sweaty, and then start to lose my vision, and eventually pass out if I don’t lay down in time,” they explained. “It can happen after standing for 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or even 60 minutes….there is no set time.”
This guest definitely needs to be in a wheelchair. Even with DAS the wait will often exceed 5 minutes, which by her own account is more than long enough for her disorder to kick in. I think the CM handled her DAS request appropriately.
Yeah.

"She just told me to rent a scooter or get a wheelchair. I don’t have an issue with walking and don’t need a wheelchair or scooter.”

“She also said there are plenty of places to sit while standing in lines for the rides. Where are all these mystery places to sit, because I stood in line for 2.5 hours for radiator springs and had yet to see places to sit.”"

That's why they told you to rent a wheelchair or scooter.

Yeah.

"She just told me to rent a scooter or get a wheelchair. I don’t have an issue with walking and don’t need a wheelchair or scooter.”

“She also said there are plenty of places to sit while standing in lines for the rides. Where are all these mystery places to sit, because I stood in line for 2.5 hours for radiator springs and had yet to see places to sit.”"

That's why they told you to rent a wheelchair or scooter.
Or the ground is always there. Each individual is responsible for knowing and accommodating their own disability. No one else is going to do it for you. DAS wouldn’t solve this in the least.

If it can happen even after just 5 minutes of standing, a wheelchair is definitely needed for safety reasons.

DAS doesn’t provide somewhere to lay down immediately. So what happens when the person is standing in the lightening lane 5 to 15 minutes and starts feeling their pre-symptoms to passing out? They either push on or try to exit and find somewhere to lay down. Both risk fainting in dangerous risky settings. To avoid serious injury they need to avoid standing as little as 5 or 10 minutes so wheelchair/ECV is the only effective precaution.

Total attention getting article, there's nothing in the article that would lead me to believe that Disney did anything wrong. Just get a wheelchair or scooter if your going to have a problem standing. Even with DAS your going to be waiting in line, it's not a no wait system.

This article/guest is why getting DAS will be harder to obtain for those who truly need it.

Total attention getting article, there's nothing in the article that would lead me to believe that Disney did anything wrong. Just get a wheelchair or scooter if your going to have a problem standing. Even with DAS your going to be waiting in line, it's not a no wait system.

This article/guest is why getting DAS will be harder to obtain for those who truly need it.
This is usually why I try not to read articles from Inside the Magic. They're complete click bait and usually inaccurate.

The most annoying thing about their articles is having to skim past four or five paragraphs of irrelevant filler before they actually talk about what the article is about.
And often the opposite too. They have a headline, you think they have details, go to the article and it’s just 3 sentences describing the headline.

My idea is to do the same as Universal Studios and require guests who need the DAS system to register and apply through the IBCCES and get the accessibility card and this way, they can discuss possible accommodations with guest services including DAS.

Many theme parks, to my knowledge, use IBCCES. This should be a requirement at all theme parks. When I was in college, I had to go through and register with the disability office and supply documentation to get accommodations in the classroom as well as testing accommodations too. It should be the same as far as having to register and submit documentation to the IBCCES.

Last edited:
My idea is to do the same as Universal Studios and require guests who need the DAS system to register and apply through the IBCCES and get the accessibility card and this way, they can discuss possible accommodations with guest services including DAS.

Many theme parks, to my knowledge, use IBCCES. This should be a requirement at all theme parks. When I was in college, I had to go through and register with the disability office and supply documentation to get accommodations in the classroom as well as testing accommodations too. It should be the same as far as having to register and submit documentation to the IBCCES.
From what I've been seeing on social media, IBCCES is giving the illusion of documentation/verification.
People have reported getting the accessibility card with nothing more than a copy of their handicapped parking permit, a single page of an IEP, a letter from a doctor that just said, "John Doe has a disability". One person got it with a letter from her workplace that said she could have food at her desk (but, not why or any other information). Another wrote she had graduated from college and was issued the card based on her accommodation when she started college for extra time on tests (only that information, nothing else).
People assume that 'Medical people' are looking at the application and determining that the person does have a disability. From everything I've seen, it appears there is a list/table of documents and if what is sent in is on the list, it's accepted.
The person applying check off the accommodations they are asking for, but it's very unlikely that is being verified in any way. They ask for the doctor or educators' phone number and email and the the doctor's physician number (people wrote that IBCCES provided them with a link to find it). In order for a doctor to even verify 'John Doe' is their patient, the patient would have to sign a release of information.

IBCCES is being 'sold' to parks as a marketing tool - if the park uses it, IBCCES provides some advertising and listing on disability travel resources.
It's not at all the same thing as verifying disability accommodations for education - the school is responsible to make sure people get accommodations they need to achieve. But, they also need to make sure that students who are not disabled don't get unfair advantages by passing themselves as having disabilities they font actually have

From what I've been seeing on social media, IBCCES is giving the illusion of documentation/verification.
People have reported getting the accessibility card with nothing more than a copy of their handicapped parking permit, a single page of an IEP, a letter from a doctor that just said, "John Doe has a disability". One person got it with a letter from her workplace that said she could have food at her desk (but, not why or any other information). Another wrote she had graduated from college and was issued the card based on her accommodation when she started college for extra time on tests (only that information, nothing else).
People assume that 'Medical people' are looking at the application and determining that the person does have a disability. From everything I've seen, it appears there is a list/table of documents and if what is sent in is on the list, it's accepted.
The person applying check off the accommodations they are asking for, but it's very unlikely that is being verified in any way. They ask for the doctor or educators' phone number and email and the the doctor's physician number (people wrote that IBCCES provided them with a link to find it). In order for a doctor to even verify 'John Doe' is their patient, the patient would have to sign a release of information.

IBCCES is being 'sold' to parks as a marketing tool - if the park uses it, IBCCES provides some advertising and listing on disability travel resources.
It's not at all the same thing as verifying disability accommodations for education - the school is responsible to make sure people get accommodations they need to achieve. But, they also need to make sure that students who are not disabled don't get unfair advantages by passing themselves as having disabilities they font actually have
And to ask Disney or any other theme park to employ medical ppl for this would be absurd. Imo the system works well enough. I’m sure there are abuses but that will happen no matter how strict the policy is. I think ppl just need to worry about themselves as far as that is concerned. As far as the article, I think it’s just attention-seeking. Surely after getting denied the first time, the alleged victim could have figured out how to embellish her condition enough that it would qualify.

I concur.

Has anyone found a second source for this tail of woe? Perhaps a similar tale of denied DAS services leading to unintended consequences?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter