• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

delete

No, I wouldn't go. You don't know how long your job search will take. Even if it's mercifully short, it'll be a while before you get another pay check. And if you get a job quickly, you probably won't be able to take the time, anyway--even without pay (paid vacation time right away is highly unlikely). Shelve your plans until you're in a better place--it can be something you look forward to, down the line.

I would go, 100%. Life is short, you absolutely will get another job, there’s sunk costs already, and let’s not minimise the impact going will have for your mental health at such a time. I’m so sorry for the job, but a couple of days away isn’t going to break the bank. Another job will come up - go and enjoy!

100% I would go. As someone who just willing (but unexpectedly) changed jobs, I am starting over with little vacation time. My biggest regret is not taking a vacation when I had the opportunity between jobs. Squeeze a short vacation in while you can, and enjoy it! Many of your expenses are paid for already anyway, and it will be good for you!

When I said forced diet, I meant that eating a bit less (I am obese and overeat often), stop takeout, doordash, etc. I will never compromise my health. I have cut many subscriptions but I will not cut my vitamins, my health matters regardless of my employment status. I appreciate this post.
One of the best parts of staying in Port Orleans (FQ or Riverside) for me is how many paths there are to go walking. You're going to EPCOT for your park day so you can get plenty of steps in there, but PO FQ is beautiful to walk along the Sassagoula River. You can take that path right down to Riverside and take in all the sights and sounds of that resort too! Even if you switch to another resort, I highly encourage you to take a bus over to other resorts and explore what they have to offer. You may fall in love with another one and get some ideas about where you want to stay for your next trip (no matter how dismal things may look right now, there is ALWAYS another Disney trip you'll be planning for in your mind :) )

You've gotten some great advice in here so far, and I'm glad to see you already have an interview scheduled for Monday. Keep your head up and you'll be glad you went on your Disney vacation.

I haven't seen mention of unemployment. Depending on your state and the circumstances of your job loss, you may qualify for unemployment benefits. Be aware of any requirements of that and whether it might impact your vacation plans. We did take an already-planned vacation once when DH was on unemployment, but he needed to check-in and submit job applications even during our vacation week.

My recommendation: downgrade the hotel, hold off buying the tickets (but keep an eye on the theme park reservations!). Give it some time to see how the job search pans out and how your expenses are holding up. Then decide in 3 weeks or so if it still seems like a viable option. Like I mentioned, we did take a week-long vacation when DH was out of work because it was already paid for and we were good with expenses, but unemployment was a pain to work around.

So yesterday I was fired from my 9-5. I will spare details, but it wasn't behavioral issues and it was without warnings. I live by myself in a metropolitan area, no kids or pets or partner living with me. I immediately when I got home updated my resume and began applying for more jobs (was already applying beforehand), cut my subscriptions, and will basically be on a forced diet. I have a good amount of savings to keep me going till I can get another job. Looking is my full time job now.

I planned march 3-5 a small little WDW trip, would be my first time. Staying on PO-FQ, only going to Epcot. Both airfares non refundable, paid for hotel but not ticket. I would like to still go to WDW as I basically will be staying at home most of the time till I get a job offer (I have AMC A-list for $22 a month which allows me to up to 3 movies a week so I have entertainment). I am not sure if I should, but I fear a mental health decline these next few months and like some happiness. If you were in my situation,M would you go?
Mandipandi, the very same thing happened to us before our first ever trip to WDW. We had young kids, age 5 and 7 who were looking forward to the trip. My husbands job was discontinued and they were closing the plant, I was a stay at home Mom. We debated whether he should look for a job right away, or we should go? The trip was in 2 weeks!
We opted to go to WDW, and we have Never regretted it. It was pretty much paid for. We had a blast and forgot about the real world for a while. When we got back, my husband got a good job right away.
I am so glad that we didn't cancel the trip. It is one of my fondest memories.

I would since the airfare is non refundable. Maybe switch to a cheaper resort since you still have time to change that reservation without penalty. I have started two jobs in the past and told them I had a trip planned and they were fine with it, It was an unpaid vacation but the employer was fine with me taking the time off. A friend of mine who lives in NYC just got fired a few weeks ago because the company was not doing so well. So you are not alone. I just read where GoodYear tire plans to layoff 500 people. And there was an article on LinkedIn this week highlighting all the company's who did or will be laying off people.

So yesterday I was fired from my 9-5. I will spare details, but it wasn't behavioral issues and it was without warnings. I live by myself in a metropolitan area, no kids or pets or partner living with me. I immediately when I got home updated my resume and began applying for more jobs (was already applying beforehand), cut my subscriptions, and will basically be on a forced diet. I have a good amount of savings to keep me going till I can get another job. Looking is my full time job now.

I planned march 3-5 a small little WDW trip, would be my first time. Staying on PO-FQ, only going to Epcot. Both airfares non refundable, paid for hotel but not ticket. I would like to still go to WDW as I basically will be staying at home most of the time till I get a job offer (I have AMC A-list for $22 a month which allows me to up to 3 movies a week so I have entertainment). I am not sure if I should, but I fear a mental health decline these next few months and like some happiness. If you were in my situation, would you go?
I would & I have. You can sit home & worry, which I have done also & I don't recommend it! So, I know from personal experience to just keep swimming. That doesn't mean you have to buy every souvneir you see. You will make choices, you will have a budget, you will budget for & sometimes choose treats & luxuries . Maybe have kids' meals at counter service restaurants to save some money, maybe bring some trail mix for snacks instead of getting something expensive every time you get peckish. I bring a Brita water bottle so I never need to buy water. And always get fudge on Main Street. Always. lol And so on. GO. Have a blast. Take photos with your favorite characters. Ride the single riders' line as often as you can. Feed your soul.

Your job search will be waiting for you when you get back.

Thank you friend, This happened yesterday, and I already have an interview scheduled for Monday! Things will be ok <3
You will be just fine. And if you get the offer, awesome. You can say, "I'd be delighted to accept" [if indeed you are!] "but please know that I will be out of town these days in March." Always be suspcious of any employer who asks you to delay something in your personal life because they'd rather have you working at something that is probably not crucial for that very week.

First, I am so sorry you lost your job!

Since it is non refundable and of a short duration, I would possibly go. I would first try to see if I could get a credit for future travel. If you booked with a card like Chase Sapphire Preferred, you might be able to see if job loss is covered even if you did not purchase any travel insurance. If not, I'd go and eat at the most inexpensive places as possible and definitely switch hotels if allowed. Good luck with the job search.

Go and enjoy it!!!

Hopefully, you'll have a new job before you even leave. If not, you could also consider doing some temporary work to bring in income. There are a number of agencies out there and it could lead to something permanent. Also, please check your status to collect Unemployment and what the requirements are for it.

I planned march 3-5 a small little WDW trip, would be my first time. Staying on PO-FQ, only going to Epcot. Both airfares non refundable, paid for hotel but not ticket. I would like to still go to WDW as I basically will be staying at home most of the time till I get a job offer (I have AMC A-list for $22 a month which allows me to up to 3 movies a week so I have entertainment). I am not sure if I should, but I fear a mental health decline these next few months and like some happiness. If you were in my situation, would you go?
I actually had almost an identical experience this time last year! Ugh, it sucks - I'm so sorry for what you're experiencing. To answer the question: Yes, I would go, and in fact I did. I knew that, if I cancelled it, it would only make my mental health much worse (on top of being fired and the mental pain of that). So we went on our previously-booked 4-day trip and tried not to let "the real world" intrude on it. It was surprisingly helpful to go, and I'm glad we did.

I would go with the downgraded hotel only if I had a solid four months of emergency saving saved up plus enough to cover the trip.

Do you have at least 3 (hopefully more) months of emergency savings?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter