Debt Dumpers - 2018

Pity party ahead:

There was a glitch on my fiance's first check, and it wasn't deposited. So, that's a bit over $1k (first 2 weeks) that we're having to wait to figure out how to collect. I had some unusually high expenses in groceries this month because we hadn't been fully stocking the groceries while fiance and other roommates were looking for jobs, but when the fiance started working I went ahead and bought the stuff we needed - not anticipating that the check would be delayed. And to top off the wonderful month, I'm having to cancel the work conference I was supposed to leave for today until next Friday, because I'm in the hospital with some sort of respiratory illness. I'm really afraid of what this bill is going to be, and my insurance is not very good.

I'm still swimming, but I'm feeling like a minnow trying to climb Niagara falls.

Well, I haven't been successful with dumping any debt since moving, but that was pretty much expected with getting settled in and the expenses that come with that. I'm happy in my new place and the landlord has been very responsive with any issues that have come up, so that's nice. I'm looking forward to my sister visiting for July 4th week and then I have my trip to WDW during Labor Day week! Everything is paid for already for that trip and I have $100 in Disney gift cards to use toward food while I'm there. I get to make my fast passes very soon! Hope I'm as lucky as @Ngwira was with those!

Have a great weekend everyone!
I’m so glad everything worked out with the move and new rental. Good luck with your fastpasses. Make sure you book FOP and the toy story fastpasses first and at the end of your trip. Slinky was harder to get than the saucer ride.

Ha ha.. I should’ve right? You have about one month to go for your Disneyland trip right? Your birthday trip. People born on July 29th (me too) , rock.

Yes! I seriously can’t wait. I’ll be going to a horse show in MD for two days and then flying out of Dulles the morning of the 29th. We get to LA about 8:30 so we’re going to Uber to the hotel, drop our luggage, and head straight to DL! This trip can’t come soon enough...

I’m so glad everything worked out with the move and new rental. Good luck with your fastpasses. Make sure you book FOP and the toy story fastpasses first and at the end of your trip. Slinky was harder to get than the saucer ride.

Thank you, it really did work out well overall. I am still thinking about some part time work - leaning toward a part time holiday job at this point since that is a slower time of year at my full time job.

Thanks for the tips on the fast passes! I haven't really kept up with the DIS boards that well lately so haven't read much about the new Toy Story rides. Looking forward to checking out that new land! This will be my first solo trip so it will be interesting touring the parks on my own. I'm really looking forward to this trip though!

Pity party ahead:

There was a glitch on my fiance's first check, and it wasn't deposited. So, that's a bit over $1k (first 2 weeks) that we're having to wait to figure out how to collect. I had some unusually high expenses in groceries this month because we hadn't been fully stocking the groceries while fiance and other roommates were looking for jobs, but when the fiance started working I went ahead and bought the stuff we needed - not anticipating that the check would be delayed. And to top off the wonderful month, I'm having to cancel the work conference I was supposed to leave for today until next Friday, because I'm in the hospital with some sort of respiratory illness. I'm really afraid of what this bill is going to be, and my insurance is not very good.

I'm still swimming, but I'm feeling like a minnow trying to climb Niagara falls.

Yikes, @dayvewc - I'm so sorry about your rough patch and hope you start feeling much better very soon!

Pity party ahead:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get to feeling better. Cant his work cut him a new check as it was their error? Id be in payroll/hr raising all kinds of trouble.

Outdoor unit of the heat pump needed a new capacitator (or capacitor?not sure now what it’s called but now I’m thinking of flux capacitor from Back to the Future!) but now we have AC again, and only a little over $200. Guy isn’t done looking at the van yet so we don’t know about that but this fix was much more manageable than I was imagining.

Dh is out of town for the weekend and I took the kids out for wings (and chicken cheesesteak for me) last night and DS15 and I ordered Chinese tonight. DS17 is working and brought leftovers from last night dinner. Had a long, rough week and just didn’t feel like cooking after a long swim meet today and dealing with AC and car. I did go for a pedicure after dropping DS at work, not a budget buster move but made me feel a little better.

Pity party ahead:

Ugh on the paycheck stuff. And the hospital stuff. Feel better soon.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get to feeling better. Cant his work cut him a new check as it was their error? Id be in payroll/hr raising all kinds of trouble.

It's set for direct deposit. Apparently a routing or account number was misentered, and getting it corrected is taking a while.

Pity party ahead:

So sorry you are having a tough time. I hope you recover swiftly.

Stacy--there is no such thing as being "too late" for this thread! Anyone is welcome to join at anytime. Thanks for sharing your budget and challenges with us. Everybody here is super-supportive of each other. Glad you decided to join in.

Dayve--so sorry for all your troubles, particularly that you are in the hospital with an illness. I hope that you get good treatment and can come home soon, feeling much better. The direct deposit snag may be worked out by now. Hope so!

I had to take my dog to the animal hospital today and they ended up having to lance an abscess to get a foxtail out. They gave antibiotics and pain meds all to the tune of $488.

Thankful I have an emergency fund for this sort of thing.

My biggest issue is not being able to move out. I'm lucky in that my family is laid back, but it also makes me feel like I'm not "successful" even though I work incredibly hard. I feel judged for it by other people and it gives me anxiety. I'm trying hard to get past that.
It's never too late! And I feel you on being judged for living at home. DH and I have been living with his parents for 4 years now... the time has gone fast! Originally I moved in because we were dating long distance after college and I moved to his state, and didn't have a job yet... then it worked out well so we decided to stay to pay our student loans off, and pay for our wedding. Paid off the loans last August, a month before the wedding. Now we are attempting to house hunt and paying off our car loans while we look. I've gotten to the point where I mostly don't care what people think about us being here anymore, though sometimes I still get frustrated. A good example right now, my cousin and his wife, who I love dearly, are buying their first home. They've been gifted the majority of their down payment from her parents/grandparents, so they won't have PMI, and then just this weekend she was telling me her parents are buying them a water softener, washer/dryer, and putting up a privacy fence for them, and her grandparents loaned them a few thousand dollars to make ends meet for moving costs and their last month of rent overlapping with moving in. Now if family's want to help out their kids, and can afford it, I think that's great, however they do it. But sometimes they get judge-y that we've stayed with in-laws to save vs moving out... the in-laws want to help us out, but can't afford to give us a chunk of cash... but they can offer us a place to live and save us $1500-$2000 a month in rent/utilities, so is that really much different? And we help out around the house and pick up a lot of the cooking/grocery cost/eating out. And paying off loans/paying cash for our wedding/saving for a down payment is something my cousin and his wife can't say they did.

That got a bit long... I'm sorry... came in to work at 3am, so I sometimes get a bit ramble-y. Long story short, I still sometimes get frustrated when people are judge-y about our living situation, but at the end of the day I brush it off because we're doing what is best for us financially, and that's more important to me. And I've also noticed that the most judge-y tend to have received some large monetary help from their family, like my cousin, or say, by their families covering their college costs completely, etc. So it makes me think they might be feeling a little insecure/judged about their family help, so maybe they start pointing fingers at others to try and not be noticed themselves. But no one here is judge-y, everyone is super nice and supportive! And if you ever need to vent about feeling judged or anxious about living at home, feel free to message me :)

PS. I left off our ages on accident, see? Ramble-y! But I'm 27 and DH turned 29 last month.

I am super late.

But...I have....six figures in student loan debt. ~150k. :O I'm paying as much on it a month as I possibly can. 40% of my take home pay goes toward it and ONLY because I'm 29 and still living at home :(

My car is paid off next March - the second it's paid off, that will also be going toward my student loans. Even still..it will be a VERY long time until I'm debt free and it's incredibly overwhelming.

I have like 3k in CC debt, but not adding any more to it.

My biggest issue is not being able to move out. I'm lucky in that my family is laid back, but it also makes me feel like I'm not "successful" even though I work incredibly hard. I feel judged for it by other people and it gives me anxiety. I'm trying hard to get past that.

Welcome!! I totally understand where you're coming from. I also have six figures in student loans. I see from your second post that you have a JD, which is kind of what I figured and also what I have. I see you said you're a contractor working for a company- is there any chance you would qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness? It's available for people working for the government, non-profits, charities, etc. I'm currently three years into a PSLF plan. Might be something for you to check so at least you could see an end in sight!

It's never too late! And I feel you on being judged for living at home. DH and I have been living with his parents for 4 years now... the time has gone fast! Originally I moved in because we were dating long distance after college and I moved to his state, and didn't have a job yet... then it worked out well so we decided to stay to pay our student loans off, and pay for our wedding. Paid off the loans last August, a month before the wedding. Now we are attempting to house hunt and paying off our car loans while we look. I've gotten to the point where I mostly don't care what people think about us being here anymore, though sometimes I still get frustrated. A good example right now, my cousin and his wife, who I love dearly, are buying their first home. They've been gifted the majority of their down payment from her parents/grandparents, so they won't have PMI, and then just this weekend she was telling me her parents are buying them a water softener, washer/dryer, and putting up a privacy fence for them, and her grandparents loaned them a few thousand dollars to make ends meet for moving costs and their last month of rent overlapping with moving in. Now if family's want to help out their kids, and can afford it, I think that's great, however they do it. But sometimes they get judge-y that we've stayed with in-laws to save vs moving out... the in-laws want to help us out, but can't afford to give us a chunk of cash... but they can offer us a place to live and save us $1500-$2000 a month in rent/utilities, so is that really much different? And we help out around the house and pick up a lot of the cooking/grocery cost/eating out. And paying off loans/paying cash for our wedding/saving for a down payment is something my cousin and his wife can't say they did.

That got a bit long... I'm sorry... came in to work at 3am, so I sometimes get a bit ramble-y. Long story short, I still sometimes get frustrated when people are judge-y about our living situation, but at the end of the day I brush it off because we're doing what is best for us financially, and that's more important to me. And I've also noticed that the most judge-y tend to have received some large monetary help from their family, like my cousin, or say, by their families covering their college costs completely, etc. So it makes me think they might be feeling a little insecure/judged about their family help, so maybe they start pointing fingers at others to try and not be noticed themselves. But no one here is judge-y, everyone is super nice and supportive! And if you ever need to vent about feeling judged or anxious about living at home, feel free to message me :)

PS. I left off our ages on accident, see? Ramble-y! But I'm 27 and DH turned 29 last month.

I feel you! I know we've talked about that before, but DH and I lived with my mom for two years before getting married, and about 5 months after our wedding. It would've been longer after the wedding but it just so happened that the exact perfect house came up for sale. We are paying PMI, which is a bummer, but the house itself was too perfect to pass up in terms of proximity to my mom and being able to help her with the farm. We had 5% saved up for a down payment, which isn't much, but is probably more than we even would've had if we had been living on our own since I'd only been working 11 months when we put that contract down on our house.

Thanks

I was a contractor for my first 6 months of employment with them rather than a FTE. Now I'm a FTE, but I work for a private company so I don't qualify for PSL, unfortunately.

I pay more than double my minimum on my IDR plan, but it's not getting me anywhere! I'm basically trying to minimize what I will owe in 20 years so that my tax bill isn't ginormous in forgiveness.

All I can do is keep working, hope for pay increases, and hope things get better. Jokes on me that I have no interest in practicing now. :|

Ugh, bummer! Your additional payments on top of the minimum are going all to principal correct? I know sometimes with student loan companies you have to specify that you want the additional payments to go to principal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter