Debt Dumpers - 2018

State refund finally approved and will be deposited on Tuesday. The new washer is sitting in the living room since our old washer continues to work. I plan to use it until it dies. I don’t regret buying the new one because the old one will eventually die.

DH has paid off his bar loan and the window loan is paid in full! Now to attack the solar loan which has paid off for us. I looked at our February 2017 electric bill and it was $156. This February’s bill was $60. Keep in mind that this winter was far colder in the northeast than last year. I’m sure the new windows helped also.

Ski vacation in Canada Calgary/Banff and Lake Louise coming up for Easter/Spring Break. I am budgeting around $1,000 for everything and have some gift cards to cover food at our hotel. The lodging is pretty much covered. I have $600 left from our February Southwest trip budget which will cover our Canadian Rockies wildlife tour. Plan to take advantage of our museum pass to check out Tellus Spark science museum for free.

The extra paycheck I will get on Friday will pay off our August Disney World trip.

Hitting the ground running with Swagbucks! Got ahead on some Fathers Day/Christmas shopping for their electronic gift card special and am almost to my first $25 cash in! Hoping to make $1800 with it in the next 9 months (approximately) to pay for our February Disney tickets.

I’ve been putting up at least 5 eBay listings a day to start clearing out my leftover LuLaRoe inventory. Hoping that clearing that out will pay off credit card number one within a couple months (and then some!) Any extra will go to credit card two and then I won’t feel guilty thinking about more vacations hahaha.

The new to us vehicle is paid off and good to go. My cell phone Balance is paid off which cuts my monthly bill in half. Overall lots of upside here!

Back from my horse show this weekend and the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I hate to spend a lot of money on hotels at horse shows since we are literally only there to sleep and shower, but next time I'll spring for the more expensive and closer hotel. Fortunately, the horse show itself was fairly cheap and we won, so I was very happy with that!

DH's taxes aren't showing as received yet, but he does have to mail his since the IRS has his birthday wrong, so it usually takes them longer. Hoping they receive them soon and start processing!

Back from my horse show this weekend and the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I hate to spend a lot of money on hotels at horse shows since we are literally only there to sleep and shower, but next time I'll spring for the more expensive and closer hotel. Fortunately, the horse show itself was fairly cheap and we won, so I was very happy with that!

DH's taxes aren't showing as received yet, but he does have to mail his since the IRS has his birthday wrong, so it usually takes them longer. Hoping they receive them soon and start processing!
which hotel? did you use points?

which hotel? did you use points?

No points, just paid cash for the $70 a night since I'm hoarding my Chase UR points for Disney. It was an Econo Lodge. We've stayed in Econo Lodges frequently because they seem to be available when we have horse shows in the middle of nowhere. This was definitely the worst experience I've had. They're supposed to be refunding me $20 as a result of me being locked out of my room for an hour at 10 at night when I had to be up at 5:15 the next morning, but we'll see if that shows up. It was a double bummer because after I got to my horse show I realized I could have split a room with my horse trainer's assistant since DH didn't travel with me, which would have worked out better and cheaper for both me and my trainer. If DH doesn't go with me to the next one, I'll definitely be doing that.

Housing update: My landlords agreed to give me until the end of May to move out. Still looking daily. Apparently Denver has just been listed in some article as one of the most unaffordable places to live. Unfortunately wages have not adjusted for the high cost of living here at all. Kind of a bummer since I really like my job and moved here for it, but it just exploded in popularity right about the time I moved here and hasn't slowed down since. Houses or condos purchased in 2012 have doubled in value already. It's just crazy.

Last edited:
Had an amazing weekend. Took off Friday and spent the day with my parents and DD. We worked on clearing out the sewing room. Over the course of the weekend, we managed to clear everything out, install the new closet system, put together DD's crib, put together a bookcase and move the rocking chair up to the nursery. We got the big focal art hung above the crib and it looks amazing. All of the big stuff is now completed and DD spent her first night in her nursery last night. I still need to put all of the stuff away into the closet, put together her mobile and hang some smaller pieces of art. But everything should be completed within the next week or so. It looks great and I love this space for her! I did need to spend a bit of money for some final touches. Not sure exactly where I will get the money from, since we don't have enough in the baby fund right now. I might just take it from the third paycheck.

Friday evening we went to Temple for DD's baby naming. The service was really nice and the naming ceremony was just perfect. DD was super happy, smiling and laughing at the rabbi as he read the blessings. You could tell that everyone there just loved her. She really hammed it up. And this was the first time that DH has been to a Jewish service. He really enjoyed it and said that he would like to go to services twice a month. I think he really likes the community. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming, even though DH didn't convert. There seem to be lots of interfaith families that belong to the congregation.

Saturday we went to the Science behind Pixar exhibit at Henry Ford. It was awesome. Took DD in the baby carrier and it worked great. She got to see everything as we walked around and seemed really curious. Eventually she feel asleep and I got to continue exploring the exhibit with no worries. We spent about 3 hours there, but didn't really have time to explore beyond that single exhibit. We decided that we would go back when my parents visit again in May. So we applied our tickets from the visit on Saturday towards an annual pass. The upgrade cost $90 and my mom offered to pay for it. This should provide us with some free family fun over the next year, since we could pack a lunch and spend the day. We also went to the movies with my dad on Saturday night. I covered the cost of 3 tickets and Dad got us dinner. Grandma stayed home with DD.

And my parents gave me $500 to put in DD's college fund in honor of her baby naming. She now has over $1500 saved already. I know that they will be giving her college money each year for her birthday and Hanukkah, but definitely not as much as that. Regardless, her college fund will probably grow pretty quickly.

Had an unexpected vet bill this last week. $600 we were going to put on paying off CC. But at least we didn't PUT it on CC. We're getting better about that. But it's also bittersweet not getting the points. But that's how they get you.

Wanted to update on the daycare situation. I went to the other daycare with my mom for a tour on Friday. The staff has been at the daycare for many years, some of them for 20+. I liked that since it seems to show consistency and continuity. The infant room has just 4 babies. At first I thought this might be good, but then I realized that the infant room was so very tiny. It was mostly taken up by the 4 cribs, high chair and changing table. There really wasn't much room for play at all. At DD's current daycare, the room is big and there are lots of different sensory activities and toys for them to play with. There is even a soft climbing gym/play tunnel in the room. The other daycare seemed very dull. DD is now at the point where she is super curious and I think she needs a lot of stimulation with good variation in activity. I don't think she would get that at this other place.

The toddler room at the other daycare was bigger than the infant room, but it also had 16 kids. That is many more kids than DD's current daycare for the 12 month+ age group. I thought that was really weird, that there would be such a huge jump in class size. And it didn't seem at all like any Montessori daycare that I have ever seen. There weren't any of the traditional Montesorri toys or child sized furniture. It didn't seem like there was really anything that special about it.

If we want to keep the spot reserved, they want us to put down a one week deposit, which is about $220. We have until Friday to decide. But overall, I wasn't much impressed and my mom actually had a really negative reaction. She said she thought everything looked old, worn out and dirty. Maybe I am just more forgiving, because though it did seem a bit more worn, kids can be hard on things.

I am almost 100% sure that we will not be putting down a deposit and plan to keep DD at her current place.

Wanted to update on the daycare situation. I went to the other daycare with my mom for a tour on Friday. The staff has been at the daycare for many years, some of them for 20+. I liked that since it seems to show consistency and continuity. The infant room has just 4 babies. At first I thought this might be good, but then I realized that the infant room was so very tiny. It was mostly taken up by the 4 cribs, high chair and changing table. There really wasn't much room for play at all. At DD's current daycare, the room is big and there are lots of different sensory activities and toys for them to play with. There is even a soft climbing gym/play tunnel in the room. The other daycare seemed very dull. DD is now at the point where she is super curious and I think she needs a lot of stimulation with good variation in activity. I don't think she would get that at this other place.

The toddler room at the other daycare was bigger than the infant room, but it also had 16 kids. That is many more kids than DD's current daycare for the 12 month+ age group. I thought that was really weird, that there would be such a huge jump in class size. And it didn't seem at all like any Montessori daycare that I have ever seen. There weren't any of the traditional Montesorri toys or child sized furniture. It didn't seem like there was really anything that special about it.

If we want to keep the spot reserved, they want us to put down a one week deposit, which is about $220. We have until Friday to decide. But overall, I wasn't much impressed and my mom actually had a really negative reaction. She said she thought everything looked old, worn out and dirty. Maybe I am just more forgiving, because though it did seem a bit more worn, kids can be hard on things.

I am almost 100% sure that we will not be putting down a deposit and plan to keep DD at her current place.

It's good that you made a visit there to see how it was. Sometimes that's all it takes. Go with your gut.

Turns out the duplex is in a not so great area according to my coworkers who are more familiar with Denver overall. That explains the lower price. Sigh... will still look at it but hope more opens up in better neighborhoods.

Had an unexpected vet bill this last week. $600 we were going to put on paying off CC. But at least we didn't PUT it on CC. We're getting better about that. But it's also bittersweet not getting the points. But that's how they get you.

Great to be able to pay for stuff without charging it (and knowing you'll have to carry a balance) but there's no reason you couldn't get the cc points and just pay it online immediately after the charge posts. We do this with everything except our mortgage. If they'd let me put that payment on a cc, I would! I'd even go back to having an escrow account if they'd let me make mortgage payments to a cc. :cloud9:

Great to be able to pay for stuff without charging it (and knowing you'll have to carry a balance) but there's no reason you couldn't get the cc points and just pay it online immediately after the charge posts. We do this with everything except our mortgage. If they'd let me put that payment on a cc, I would! I'd even go back to having an escrow account if they'd let me make mortgage payments to a cc. :cloud9:
We started doing that with the new pay-off this year. I pay the new CC at least once a week, get the points. Figured since I have to pay, might as well have it be semi-useful.

I didn't have my cc with me.

Well, my fiance just said something last night I never in a million years thought I'd ever hear him say.

He wants to go to Disney, just me and him.

He is not a Disney fan per say. He'll watch the movies with the girls, he even said he enjoyed our trip in October (his and the girls first time). So this threw me through a loop. So I gave him a choice: our original honeymoon was to Vegas or we could change it to go to Disney/Universal. He said he'd rather do Disney and had actually been thinking about changing it.

So I guess I need to start budgeting for that. I want to have it all paid for before next year even gets here, hopefully with all extra and earned money (wedding is in November 2019). Has anyone rented DVC points? I'm thinking Boardwalk or Beach Club would be amazing for our honeymoon trip!

Well, my fiance just said something last night I never in a million years thought I'd ever hear him say.

He wants to go to Disney, just me and him.

He is not a Disney fan per say. He'll watch the movies with the girls, he even said he enjoyed our trip in October (his and the girls first time). So this threw me through a loop. So I gave him a choice: our original honeymoon was to Vegas or we could change it to go to Disney/Universal. He said he'd rather do Disney and had actually been thinking about changing it.

So I guess I need to start budgeting for that. I want to have it all paid for before next year even gets here, hopefully with all extra and earned money (wedding is in November 2019). Has anyone rented DVC points? I'm thinking Boardwalk or Beach Club would be amazing for our honeymoon trip!
Haven’t rented DVC points (my family owns) but if your looking to stay at BWC or BCV in a studio in November or December your going to want to put your rental request in with the vendor you choose at least 12 months out so it can be booked on the 11 month mark on the nose. Those resorts are smaller and November/December is an extremely popular time for dvc owners to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter