Debt Dumpers - 2018

Haven’t rented DVC points (my family owns) but if your looking to stay at BWC or BCV in a studio in November or December your going to want to put your rental request in with the vendor you choose at least 12 months out so it can be booked on the 11 month mark on the nose. Those resorts are smaller and November/December is an extremely popular time for dvc owners to travel.

Oh I definitely plan on getting that request in the second I can. I'm hoping to have a few different options in mind so if one falls through, I have a backup. I know I'll be an absolute mess come this October. Lol.

Oh I definitely plan on getting that request in the second I can. I'm hoping to have a few different options in mind so if one falls through, I have a backup. I know I'll be an absolute mess come this October. Lol.
Resorts that are easier to book and have more rooms are SSR, OKW, and AKL.

Funny you say that @Tygerlilly because I just finished booking a room at Boardwalk Villas for one night in November! Didn't rent DVC points or anything as I'm honestly not even sure we'll stay at that hotel. We're really planning to make this a Universal trip but wanted to spend one night at Disney and check out Toy Story Land in HS. A studio at BWV was not insanely priced but still a splurge, and will put us close to HS so we can walk or boat over there. Never stayed at Boardwalk before, so I hope when room discounts come out this summer that we can get a good discount applied!

@Tygerlilly We rented from dvc rental (they have a monorail logo) and they acted like you could put it in ASAP and they'd put you on a list... we were renting for late September, and I contacted them in early October, they said they already had waitlist for all of 2017 and were the busiest they'd ever been. I paid their deposit, about $100, to get on the waitlist. In January they told me they couldn't get the resort I wanted and we ended up trying for another one, which took another two weeks to secure.

Well, my fiance just said something last night I never in a million years thought I'd ever hear him say.

He wants to go to Disney, just me and him.

He is not a Disney fan per say. He'll watch the movies with the girls, he even said he enjoyed our trip in October (his and the girls first time). So this threw me through a loop. So I gave him a choice: our original honeymoon was to Vegas or we could change it to go to Disney/Universal. He said he'd rather do Disney and had actually been thinking about changing it.

So I guess I need to start budgeting for that. I want to have it all paid for before next year even gets here, hopefully with all extra and earned money (wedding is in November 2019). Has anyone rented DVC points? I'm thinking Boardwalk or Beach Club would be amazing for our honeymoon trip!

We have rented points multiple times, usually privately from people posting here on the Did or on another DVC-owner website that rhymes with housesavers but mouse. Never had a problem but I always check in MDE to see that my reservation is at least booked legit before paying. Of course nothing is guaranteed. I suppose someone could default or their loan or fall behind on their maintenance fees or something weird like that. We have stayed several times at BCV and BWV and hands down I would choose BCV. Their pool is awesome, we love Cape May Café, we love the theming (prob all the NJ shore town references), and it's a short walk to IG at Epcot.

BWV is a shorter walk to HS but longer walk to Epcot. Also I believe they still have the big Jacuzzi tubs in the 1 & 2 BRs if that interests you. They all have a washer/dryer in 1BR and larger units.
I agree with pp to find an owner whose home resort is where you want to stay and book asap, 12 months out. At 7 mos out any DVC owner can book any resort.

Good luck!

I just got online and played with booking a regular package and am actually surprised that the regular rack rates aren't as bad as I expected for your regular rooms at both resorts. We have a tentative plan for a family trip either late this year or early next year, so depending on if we actually take that trip, we may upgrade our tickets to annual passes and then book a room only rate at hopefully some kind of discount next year when they drop. Buying the annual pass would essentially make our honeymoon ticket "free" since it really won't cost too much more to upgrade the regular tickets.

In any case, after doing a few mock up packages, it looks like I'll need about $5000 for the Disney side (our Victoria and Albert's splurge included, assuming I can snag that reservation) and about $3000 for Universal (tickets, hotel, and a large food budget). I think our honeymoon is about as expensive as the actual wedding. Hahaha!

I just got online and played with booking a regular package and am actually surprised that the regular rack rates aren't as bad as I expected for your regular rooms at both resorts. We have a tentative plan for a family trip either late this year or early next year, so depending on if we actually take that trip, we may upgrade our tickets to annual passes and then book a room only rate at hopefully some kind of discount next year when they drop. Buying the annual pass would essentially make our honeymoon ticket "free" since it really won't cost too much more to upgrade the regular tickets.

In any case, after doing a few mock up packages, it looks like I'll need about $5000 for the Disney side (our Victoria and Albert's splurge included, assuming I can snag that reservation) and about $3000 for Universal (tickets, hotel, and a large food budget). I think our honeymoon is about as expensive as the actual wedding. Hahaha!
For universal I would try and stay at RPR, PB or hardrock so your express pass is included with the room.

Already had RPR planned for that exact reason. :thumbsup2
If you want I can PM you with how I got two nights at RPR for $325. Nothing sketchy, I promise. Just a chance it goes away before your trip... I think you said next year? But that's always a risk unfortunately.

Awesome thing happened. One of the sewing machines that I had listed on eBay for my friend sold. These machines were used as class demo machines and she really just wants them eliminated from her inventory. She isn't allowed to sell the machines on eBay, so I am basically "buying" the machines from her and then selling them on eBay. We are splitting the profits, so I will make $160 from this single sale! All of the money from selling these machines will be going to our DVC fund! I am so excited at the idea of getting more of them sold and really seeing the DVC fund grow!

ETA: And since I am actually buying them from her to offset the sale (for tax purposes), I get to earn credit card points on the purchases too!

Last edited:
Awesome thing happened. One of the sewing machines that I had listed on eBay for my friend sold. These machines were used as class demo machines and she really just wants them eliminated from her inventory. She isn't allowed to sell the machines on eBay, so I am basically "buying" the machines from her and then selling them on eBay. We are splitting the profits, so I will make $160 from this single sale! All of the money from selling these machines will be going to our DVC fund! I am so excited at the idea of getting more of them sold and really seeing the DVC fund grow!

Yahoo! That’s so awesome!

I feel like selling on eBay is kind of addicting (maybe it’s because I haven’t done it in so long?) I basically want to search the house for things to sell hahaha.

If you want I can PM you with how I got two nights at RPR for $325. Nothing sketchy, I promise. Just a chance it goes away before your trip... I think you said next year? But that's always a risk unfortunately.

If you don’t mind, I would love if you PM me about it too. We used to go more often and had APs when our kids were young, before my debt dumping saga began.

Sure! Sounds awesome! Worth a shot to see if it will work out.

We have rented points multiple times, usually privately from people posting here on the Did or on another DVC-owner website that rhymes with housesavers but mouse. Never had a problem but I always check in MDE to see that my reservation is at least booked legit before paying. Of course nothing is guaranteed. I suppose someone could default or their loan or fall behind on their maintenance fees or something weird like that. We have stayed several times at BCV and BWV and hands down I would choose BCV. Their pool is awesome, we love Cape May Café, we love the theming (prob all the NJ shore town references), and it's a short walk to IG at Epcot.

BWV is a shorter walk to HS but longer walk to Epcot. Also I believe they still have the big Jacuzzi tubs in the 1 & 2 BRs if that interests you. They all have a washer/dryer in 1BR and larger units.
I agree with pp to find an owner whose home resort is where you want to stay and book asap, 12 months out. At 7 mos out any DVC owner can book any resort.

Good luck!
Are you headed down the shore this summer? We're doing Ocean City, MD instead of Ocean City, NJ :).

DH applied to refinance his student loans yesterday. Currently we're paying $108/mo with 6.55% interest and have about $5600 left. He was able to apply to refinance through his work yesterday for a five year plan for 4.88% interest with a monthly payment of $106! I would be happy to pay more than that monthly, I was mainly just concerned about getting his interest rate down. Five years is also exactly what he would have left to pay if we stayed on the current plan, so it's looking like a win/win in my book. According to the debt calculator I just used, we will save just under $300 in interest by switching to the new plan. So assuming he's approved for that, we'll go ahead and get that set up and then I will probably start adding a little bit extra on to my student loan payment of $82/mo at 5% interest. I'll probably just round up to $100 for now, but every little bit helps.

Hello all! I am new to this thread, but wanted to join in. My DH and I embarked on an overhaul of our entire life in an effort to simplify life. I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer 3 years ago which really shook us up. After the dust settled and all was well, we realized we needed to slow down and reprioritize. We started following the Minimalists, Courtney Carver, and The Slow Home Podcast. That lead us to Dave Ramsey. We have been following his baby steps since Oct. and have already paid off over $25000 in debt. We didn't have cc debt, but we got rid of our cards all the same, we sold a bunch of stuff, and now only pay cash for everything. Our debt was our DVC purchases (we bought 3 different contracts, 1 was paid off before we started our debt-free journey), a loan for some home improvement work, and a car. We should be out of debt by November.

Amongst all of that, we have been taking trips to Disney for awhile using airline miles (although that will greatly reduce since we don't have our SW CC anymore) and by earning Disney CCs through SB and other means. I look forward to checking with you all often to get inspiration as we all embark on the debt-free journey.

Have a magical day!

Hello all! I am new to this thread, but wanted to join in. My DH and I embarked on an overhaul of our entire life in an effort to simplify life. I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer 3 years ago which really shook us up. After the dust settled and all was well, we realized we needed to slow down and reprioritize. We started following the Minimalists, Courtney Carver, and The Slow Home Podcast. That lead us to Dave Ramsey. We have been following his baby steps since Oct. and have already paid off over $25000 in debt. We didn't have cc debt, but we got rid of our cards all the same, we sold a bunch of stuff, and now only pay cash for everything. Our debt was our DVC purchases (we bought 3 different contracts, 1 was paid off before we started our debt-free journey), a loan for some home improvement work, and a car. We should be out of debt by November.

Amongst all of that, we have been taking trips to Disney for awhile using airline miles (although that will greatly reduce since we don't have our SW CC anymore) and by earning Disney CCs through SB and other means. I look forward to checking with you all often to get inspiration as we all embark on the debt-free journey.

Have a magical day!

If you didn't have credit card debt and were benefiting from accumulating rewards points by using credit cards, why the heck did you get rid of them? That is free money! Credit cards are not evil. They are a financial tool. Considering you own DVC, why not continue to rack up airline points by using a SW card for everyday purchases. I just don't understand the villanizing of credit cards mentality that Dave Ramsey pushes.

It was "easier" to spend money for us when we used CCs. While we did pay them off each month, it didn't mean that it wasn't "costing" us in terms of having high bills each month that didn't leave anything left to build savings or prepay some loans. For some people there is no friction when it comes to spending using a CC, but with cash/debit, there is more thought and intention. There is no such thing as "free" money, it all comes at a cost. However, if you want to do it, fine, but for our family, we choose not to. We feel that using debt as a financial tool is not how we want to do things. That being said, we still get airline miles by making online purchases through SW rapid rewards shopping and through our travels (DH and I both travel for work occasionally). I would just add one more point and that is since we stopped using our CCs and using our budget we realized we are able to put over $4000 a month towards our current debt. When our debt is paid off in about 7 months, that is $4000 a month into our savings. That buys a lot of plane tickets :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!