Dealing with guests who are breaking rules?

smoking cigars on the pool deck.
I would have pushed the CM at the snack shop to call someone to deal with it. It doesn't take much for them to call a manager to come deal with it. I have a child who has asthma and certain would not put up with the smoking. You can choose to move to another area but they were clearly disregarding the smoking policy of the resort. I am not familiar with the area but lifeguards are usually more demanding of following the rules so if it was in a pool area i would have talked to them.

It is amazing that some people are that oblivious or just don't care about the rules.

I am very, very allergic to tobacco - so have gone back to my room and called security. they helped me move to another room. Pretty sure there is only a lifeguard at the main pool.

my big problem was this smoker was walking back and forth - the smoking area was the only entrance/exit to the building. OKW had a big problem at first - all the smoking areas were at the entrance/exit and everyone had to go through it. they did change this some.

if you have a problem definitely go to the front desk and talk to the manager. He is the only one who can confront a guest. If these boys (men aren't this rude - no matter how old they are) could not follow the rules.

I probably would have gone up and told them that it was bothersome to me, in a very polite way, and ask them to put them out. If it didn't work, then I would have gone to a lifeguard and explained it was bothersome to me, in addition to against the rules, and ask them to have someone from the resort take care of it.

If, after a reasonable amount of time, I would have taken it further to the front desk. But, I agree that if a guest is doing something they shouldn't be doing, and it is having an effect on your vacation, then getting it taken care of by staff should be something that happens. While I know that CM's may not want to cause confrontations if at all possible, if another guest is being bothered, then I would hope that would take precedence.

I would have pushed the CM at the snack shop to call someone to deal with it. It doesn't take much for them to call a manager to come deal with it. I have a child who has asthma and certain would not put up with the smoking. You can choose to move to another area but they were clearly disregarding the smoking policy of the resort. I am not familiar with the area but lifeguards are usually more demanding of following the rules so if it was in a pool area i would have talked to them.

It is amazing that some people are that oblivious or just don't care about the rules.
I would agree, the only issue I'm having is that there is a smoking area beside that pool IIRC. If there were in or very near the smoking area, it would be unreasonable to bother them if they were following the rules as posted. Otherwise, something should have been done, esp if called to the attention of the staff.

OK, not the word of God.... just my personal opinion....

When you see a major rules violation? CALL the front desk at your Hotel. Do not get personally involved. WDW has everything they need to enforce their rules.
People, clear rules, and (sometimes) motivation.

My DW and I have done this, regarding overnight "squatters" trying to sleep in the BRV common area. We don't work for Disney. No One should take on personal risk that does NOT work for Disney. Let DISNEY address these issues? These days, it's far safer to toss the ball to DISNEY, over a DISNEY issue. Personal confrontation carries far more risk of personal injury in 2018 than it did in 1963.

NEVER forget that someone committing an infraction might very well attack you when confronted. Let WDW deal with it :). And enjoy your vacation :).

OK, not the word of God.... just my personal opinion....

When you see a major rules violation? CALL the front desk at your Hotel. Do not get personally involved. WDW has everything they need to enforce their rules.
People, clear rules, and (sometimes) motivation.

My DW and I have done this, regarding overnight "squatters" trying to sleep in the BRV common area. We don't work for Disney. No One should take on personal risk that does NOT work for Disney. Let DISNEY address these issues? These days, it's far safer to toss the ball to DISNEY, over a DISNEY issue. Personal confrontation carries far more risk of personal injury in 2018 than it did in 1963.

NEVER forget that someone committing an infraction might very well attack you when confronted. Let WDW deal with it :). And enjoy your vacation :).
Was it Tom Bricker? Or are there really people sleeping in the BRV common area at night? I’ve seen people taking naps during the day at WL but it’s kinda creepy that anyone would be sleeping overnight. I would call it in too.

Before your stay, look up the phone number for the front desk at the resort your staying at and save it as a contact. I also do this with the address of the resort.

Last week I had to ask 2 teenage girls, possible older I don’t know, to stop recording the Memaid Show on their phones at Hollywood Studios, who were sitting in front of my daughter and I. The sad part was that several other people were also doing it as well, who were much older and should know better.

There was a report of such a physical altercation in one of the laundry rooms a few years ago. I think it was at this very location IIRC.

Doing that at a Disney hotel sends you to a call center, not the hotel.

Not possible.
It is possible to find direct numbers to the front desk at DVC resorts but it takes some investigation.

I found the number on google maps for the resort, and called it when I needed to let housekeeping we needed something. I am pretty sure it was the main desk. I wouldn’t try going through the Disney Website to find it. Just google “front desk phone number at XXXX resort at Walt Disney World”

I found the number on google maps for the resort, and called it when I needed to let housekeeping we needed something. I am pretty sure it was the main desk. I wouldn’t try going through the Disney Website to find it. Just google “front desk phone number at XXXX resort at Walt Disney World”
All the CMs are trained to answer like the hotel. Have you ever seen CMs at the front desk answering phone call after phone call? Even if they are in a room behind the front desk, they would need a lot of them. You are getting a very well trained (on answering like the hotel) call center. Now real information, they need more training. When the phone rings at the call center, it shows what resort they are supposed be representing on the phone.

All the CMs are trained to answer like the hotel. Have you ever seen CMs at the front desk answering phone call after phone call? Even if they are in a room behind the front desk, they would need a lot of them. You are getting a very well trained (on answering like the hotel) call center. Now real information, they need more training. When the phone rings at the call center, it shows what resort they are supposed be representing on the phone.

I called from my cell phone, so I’m sure they were thrown a little off when I said what room I was in and what I needed, and they answered with the correct resort name. So I think I had the direct line to the front desk.

It's not a big deal to say something. I was in a hot tub once where obviously everyone was annoyed by a guy's smoke. Finally one guy said like, "Dude, that smells like sh.. - can you not do that here?" He just said, "I'll be respectful." End of story.

I called from my cell phone, so I’m sure they were thrown a little off when I said what room I was in and what I needed, and they answered with the correct resort name. So I think I had the direct line to the front desk.

The phone number your call came in on would be associated with that particular resort. That's an easy one to pretend you're somewhere you aren't. My business has 3 different locations and each one can be answered as if you are at the location being called even though you're miles away.

We were at AKV and sitting on our balcony and a guest two balconies down was chain smoking with the smoke blowing in our direction. We called the front desk and someone came to their room within 10minutes and told them to put it out.

We had this same thing happen. We had a Savannah view room and it states pretty clearly that there's no smoking on the balcony. We called the hotline, then went down to the front desk. It got to the point that it happened again and security was involved and after security came, we didn't have the issue again... We're not sure if the people were removed or their stay was over, but management was not happy.

It's one thing to ask a more or less reasonable person to cease and desist, but when you're dealing with an unknown who may or may not be a whack job you could end up with more than you bargained for. Unless you're the type of person who enjoys confrontations, I'd leave it up to the people who are paid to do this to enforce the rules. And given that this is Disney and they are notoriously hesitant to enforce their own rules, sometimes this could mean moving along until the offenders are gone.

I believe that some CMs are unwilling to challenge bad behavior and would rather just ignore it. If that happens to you ask them to please call someone who is willing to address the behavior. I have found that usually spurs them into action or they do make a call.

I believe that some CMs are unwilling to challenge bad behavior and would rather just ignore it.

That's what happens when a company uses college students as cheap labor. If I were in the program, with the minimal pay minus cost of living with 7 roommates in one apartment, I probably wouldn't get involved either. It is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter