Dealing with guests who are breaking rules?

schoen

DIS Veteran
I was at the Old Key West pool at Turtle Pond the other day, and there were two (very nice) gentlemen smoking cigars on the pool deck. Obviously this is not allowed, and nothing irritates me more than cigar smoke. I didn’t want to confront them myself, because fighting with strangers on my vacation or putting myself in socially awkward situations is just not something I am willing to do on vacation. I let the CM at the snack shop know, but she wasn’t able to do anything. I didn’t want to leave the pool, so I just sucked it up and dealt with the smoke.

Is there something else I could have done? Who could I have called for something like that?

You could try to call management but often they do not like confrontation either. At SSR one year a guest had moved an upholstered chair out onto their patio to increase the number of seats. Sitting in the sun all day, I felt that the guest should be asked to move it back inside. We called everyone that we could think of and they thought that I was nutz. Wouldn't you know it, it rained heavily and ruined the chair, they picked it up a few days later after the guest checked out.

:earsboy: Bill

I was at the Old Key West pool at Turtle Pond the other day, and there were two (very nice) gentlemen smoking cigars on the pool deck. Obviously this is not allowed, and nothing irritates me more than cigar smoke. I didn’t want to confront them myself, because fighting with strangers on my vacation or putting myself in socially awkward situations is just not something I am willing to do on vacation. I let the CM at the snack shop know, but she wasn’t able to do anything. I didn’t want to leave the pool, so I just sucked it up and dealt with the smoke.
Is there something else I could have done? Who could I have called for something like that?
Given that it really bothered you, you might have considered asking for the Resort Manager at the front desk. I might also have emailed Member Satisfaction with the details (including who you talked to at the time) and asked why employees do not enforce smoking policy. May not have helped you at the time, but perhaps if enough Members complain, the CMs will be trained to deal more effectively with the scofflaws.

You could try to call management but often they do not like confrontation either. At SSR one year a guest had moved an upholstered chair out onto their patio to increase the number of seats. Sitting in the sun all day, I felt that the guest should be asked to move it back inside. We called everyone that we could think of and they thought that I was nutz. Wouldn't you know it, it rained heavily and ruined the chair, they picked it up a few days later after the guest checked out.

:earsboy: Bill

Couldn't DVD charge the guest for damage? I thought that's what a CC on file is for.

LAX

Couldn't DVD charge the guest for damage? I thought that's what a CC on file is for.

LAX
They can and we can hope they did. No way for us to know unless someone is silly enough to post here that they were the culprits and did indeed get charged. :)

Since I have asthma and smoke really bothers me I would have mentioned it in as nice a way as I could. But if the pool says no smoking it really irks me that guests ignore the rule. I don't know where the smoking areas are at the Turtle Pond area but it could be near the pool. I know the one at BLT is just outside the pool. The best way is to direct them to the smoking area. It is a shame no employee would ask them to move or cease and desist their smoking.

Since I have asthma and smoke really bothers me I would have mentioned it in as nice a way as I could. But if the pool says no smoking it really irks me that guests ignore the rule. I don't know where the smoking areas are at the Turtle Pond area but it could be near the pool. I know the one at BLT is just outside the pool. The best way is to direct them to the smoking area. It is a shame no employee would ask them to move or cease and desist their smoking.

I agree with the OP in that you should not have to correct the behavior of adults, whether on vacation or not. I’m hopeful that they were unaware they were in a non smoking area but these days, who can be sure? I have to believe there were at least a couple of CMs around who noticed and it’s on them to correct the situation. All it takes is an, “Excuse me. I’m very sorry but there is no smoking in this area.” Maybe they’re trained to avoid confrontation but I’m quite confident that 99 times out of 100 the response would be an apology and they’d either move or put them out. But then again these are strange times we live in, so who knows?

but I’m quite confident that 99 times out of 100 the response would be an apology and they’d either move or put them out. But then again these are strange times we live in, so who knows?
Exactly, cigar smoking tourists, unless they just crawled out of the Neanderthal cave, know what they're doing and bank on how long they can get away with it.

It frustrates me that staff avoided the confrontation. A huge part of customer service is knowing how to have difficult conversations with customers in a respectful manner. (And de-escalate if customers become upset!!!) I agree that you shouldn’t have to confront other guests on their rule breaking while on vacation, responsibility is on resort staff to enforce policy and maintain guest satisfaction. I would suggest complaining to management directly next time.

We were at AKV and sitting on our balcony and a guest two balconies down was chain smoking with the smoke blowing in our direction. We called the front desk and someone came to their room within 10minutes and told them to put it out.
We have made a similar balcony smoking complaint with a similar response. I don’t hesitate to call.

Could you have said something to the lifeguard on duty? Isn't it their "jurisdiction" to enforce pool/pool deck rules?

The only time I've ever had to get a CM to intervene with a smoker was in Epcot. We were waiting for Illuminations in a spot we staked out an hour prior...on the bridge between UK and France. Enjoying people watching and reviewing our pics from the day. Along comes a bunch of guys, loud, drinking, and smoking like chimneys. I double checked my park map to make sure we hadn't chosen a smoking area (even though I was sure it wasn't) and of course it wasn't. So I walked over to the nearest CM who was not far away and asked her if this was a smoking area on the bridge. Oh no no of course not! She says. So I asked her if she could ask the guys who were smoking to put their cigs out or move along. She was more than happy to oblige. Away they went. We enjoyed the show.

Last edited:

That's a shame that the CM didn't rise to the occasion. I remember once while waiting in line for a coaster, the ride line CM went out of her way to direct a nearby smoking guest to go to the smoking area. No one had to complain to her, either. As soon as the smoke wafted over to the ride line, she noticed and asked him to move. So I think Disney does care about this. I recommend talking to someone at the resort's front desk next time, rather than shop staff.

I agree with not "confronting" anyone on vacation, even very politely. That just isn't what vacation is all about, imo. You never know who will be reasonable and who will be hostile- they are strangers, after all.

We have made a similar balcony smoking complaint with a similar response. I don’t hesitate to call.
Same for us in BCV last year. Happened a everyday over a 3 day period, after 3 visits from security, that they either checked out, were asked to leave, or finally got the message and smoked in the smoking area.

I think there is a smoking area at the Millers Road pool in one of the corners. The pool deck area is small and it's hard to get away from the smoke, especially when it is at one of the corner tables.

I know earlier resort maps show a smoking location at Turtle Pond pool -- has this now been removed? Removing smoking areas tends to lead directly to people smoking in other areas. If the smoking area is still in place (and is not on the pool deck) staff members should have asked the smokers to move to the right area.

However, there are places where the designated smoking area is very close to the pool deck -- e.g. BCV quiet pool -- and I have seen anti-smokers, who have moved sun beds closer to the smoking area, then demand that smokers stop smoking. Of course the original layout of the sunbeds maintains a good distance from the smoking area, but people move the beds in order to follow the sun.

At the end of the day, reasonable provision for smokers will allow Disney staff to enforce the rules and encourage smokers to smoke in designated places. It is reasonable then to expect non-smokers to understand the provisions.

It is, of course, not reasonable for people to smoke in rooms or balconies when this is not allowed by Disney and when easily accessed designated smoking areas are available.

If they were not in a smoking area, your best bet would have been to ask the CM to call security if they weren't able/willing to deal with it themselves.

They can and we can hope they did. No way for us to know unless someone is silly enough to post here that they were the culprits and did indeed get charged. :)
Things like this is what makes Maintenance fees go up.... People don't realize it but it does

I am in the minority. if it bothered YOU that much, you should go ask for the desired behavior from the offenders. These people didn't know they were bothering YOU, unless you tell them. Now, if the give you the bird and don't make the change, then Disney CM should get involved. But i think you should have made the 1st attempt since it was only you being bothered.

I believe most people in the world are good and if you ask them to go smoke someplace else, they would. As an occasional cigar smoker who despises VAPOR and Cigarettes.....I know when I smoke it stinks.....so if someone asks me to move...i will.

I am in the minority. if it bothered YOU that much, you should go ask for the desired behavior from the offenders. These people didn't know they were bothering YOU, unless you tell them. Now, if the give you the bird and don't make the change, then Disney CM should get involved. But i think you should have made the 1st attempt since it was only you being bothered.

I believe most people in the world are good and if you ask them to go smoke someplace else, they would. As an occasional cigar smoker who despises VAPOR and Cigarettes.....I know when I smoke it stinks.....so if someone asks me to move...i will.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but there are different optics with each. On the one hand, a regular guest telling someone that they are doing the wrong thing can come off as pushy. While on the other hand, a uniformed employee commands (or at least should) a certain level of respect. Even if that uniform comes with shorts and mouse ears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts