DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

So, we made our only possible change to the upcoming vacation. Since my oldest has been out of work, we shortened the trip to 7 days. But, given Disney's new COVID banking rules, I couldn't move it to December. So, my choices were to lose 160 points, shorten my trip at the Boardwalk and lose 60 points, or change to Polynesian, use all my points, and buy a couple more. We went with the 3rd option. So, we will be at the Poly for a week in July. Now, gotta change flight and rent a car.

When we asked about Wild Africa Trek, the CM said all those special events were cancelled for the remainder of the year. I guess it's too dangerous to be outdoors in a small group of people right now. Maybe the scientists will declare COVID to be over, or at least declare it to be safe outdoors around large groups of people. Huh?

Sounds like a solo trip is on order.
But seriously, I'm sorry it's not working out. Sucks that everything is getting fouled up even that far out.
Our next trip is tentatively for May '21 for my oldest 21'st birthday. I'm hoping everything is back to normal even then.

Right now, my household isn't happy with Disney. I'm hoping there will still be a way to squeeze some magic out of these next two trips.

Morning, Gents! Forgot to mention in my last post that I've gotten a lot of emails from several recruiting companies looking to fill a stock position in Marion, MA, about an hour from where I live now. The position is with Lockheed Martin and the contract will be for a year, so that's nice, still not what I want for the rest of my life, but it's a job while I finish my medical course. At first I thought it was a scam so I ignored it, but then I started getting a bunch of emails from different companies for the same position. Before I deleted the email outright, I decided to call the number from the first email. The guy who picked up was an Indian (not Native American Indian), and I started to think this was a scam, but I continued to talk to him. I Googled his company name and it's legit, but still skeptical. Then I got a call from another recruiter, and multiple emails for the same position, I took it more seriously. Long story short, I told one of the recruiters to move my resume forward and see what happens. Now I'm waiting to see what happens. Yesterday, I applied for a carrier with the US Postal Service Rural Carrier Association. I got the email to take an assessment exam and will take that tonight when I get home, so we'll see what happens there. Otherwise, happy Monday! They're updating our computer program today so I won't have an excuse to sit down at the computer today, so not sure how much I'll be able to chat except for breaks. Either way it'll be an interesting day. Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Two good options. That commute will get you, but a year isn't bad.

For the Weekend, here is some WDW Pick 'ems to think about
  1. Tikki Room or IASW?
  2. Star Tours or Mission Space?
  3. Crystal Palace or Tusker House?
  4. WDW Railraod or TTA
  5. Icons, Castle Icon or Space Ship Earth Icon?

1. Tiki Room - but only with a Dole Whip Float
2. Star Tours
3. Can't say - I've never in all my trips eaten at either of them!
4. TTA
5. As much as I love EPCOT - nothing beats Cindy's Castle - although I'm not so sure about this paint job!

Top O the Mornin Dads! Hope all had a good weekend. Glad you came away without damage from those storms Darcy. May be heading to DC area to see DD & SIL over Fathers Day weekend as SIL military leave did not get approved. We were planned for WDW and DCL sailing during this time period and DD has vacation time and wants to come home to see everyone but if that don't work we are gonna head there for a couple of days. Have a good one gents and stay safe and healthy.

WDW Pick'ems to start the week ..........
  1. DDCC or Family Trip?
  2. Rivers of Light or Electrical Water Pageant?
  3. Haunted Mansion or TOT?
  4. Looking more forward to TRON Light Cycle or Guardians of the Galaxy?
  5. Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids?
For the record, from Friday's pick 'ems
  1. Tikki Room or IASW? Tikki Room, but not the IASW hater some are
  2. Star Tours or Mission Space? ST
  3. Crystal Palace or Tusker House? Tusker
  4. WDW Railraod or TTA? WDW Railroad
  5. Icons, Castle Icon or Space Ship Earth Icon? Castle

As for tequila, I like the Don Julio anejo. It is smooth enough to drink as water, although it has a great flavor and kick. But, it's not as good as the tequila I had in Mexico at Epcot. I wish I could remember the name and find it locally to buy.
Was gonna say you should be able to get the name of that tequila fairly soon until I read your next post .......................
And the hits just keep on rolling. I'm now the solo hold out in the family that wants to go to WDW in July. Sure, I'm annoyed they care more about NBA & MLS money than my vacation $, but my oldest is upset that she misses Wild Africa Trek after graduation & prom. DW doesn't want to wear a mask in July. So, I'll be on phone with Member Services trying to change everything tomorrow, however, there aren't many options. Then, have to change flights. Maybe it's better to just lose all the points, get AP refunded, and sell DVC and be done with the whole thing. The cigar wasn't an enjoyable tonight.
Sorry to hear Norm. As I referenced a bit back have some of the same uncertainty with the family for our July 29 trip.

1. DDCC or Family Trip?

1. I love hanging with the guys - but nothing trumps my Family Trip
2. Electrical Water Pageant - only because I'm usually watching it from my balcony at BLT with a drink in my hand.
3. TOT
4. Guardians because it's in the best park
5. Splash

Rob, you're a better man than me. I would have taken one look at the repairs needed for the roof drain and given up and bought a new car.
Thus making you a smarter man than I.
I did all that work and will most likely go buy a new one anyway.

So, we made our only possible change to the upcoming vacation. Since my oldest has been out of work, we shortened the trip to 7 days. But, given Disney's new COVID banking rules, I couldn't move it to December. So, my choices were to lose 160 points, shorten my trip at the Boardwalk and lose 60 points, or change to Polynesian, use all my points, and buy a couple more. We went with the 3rd option. So, we will be at the Poly for a week in July. Now, gotta change flight and rent a car.
Not a bad consolation, but I'm sorry y'all can't use your points in the way that you wished to. We had to shift our trip from April to September. We'll see how things go as they start opening back up as to whether that will happen or not

1. DDCC or Family Trip?
- Employer doesn't allow me to travel in January, so option A isn't possible.

- The Pageant... ('cause I can work a trip to Sam's into that outing)

- HM (Yeah it's not a trill ride, but ya' gott'a experience it if you at WDW)

- Probably Guardians (because I may get the Missus to ride that one)

- Have never ridden Kali...

Morning chaps. Light day at work here today, so a couple of calls and a bit of sharepoint updating, so nothing too taxing. I've joined a "shopping collective" over here that consolidate stuff I need (want) from the States and ship it over at a much lower price I can get it over here. So, the anniversary Mickey waffle maker is on its way to East London. And some proper Diner Coffee Mugs. The really thick walled ones. And some of those candles that smell like the Poly and the GF. I am a happy bunny.

On another 48 hour fast, so no food till tomorrow night. We ate dinner very early yesterday, about 3, so I'm pretty hungry right now.

:thumbsup2

Sorry dude. That's gonna smart a little bit. All the best man.

Thanks, man. Thought I was going to have a good day when I got there, trying to be positive, but found it's a little harder than I thought. And it didn't help that when I was talking about it to the guy I work with, he responded, "Well it happened, so get over it!" I wanted to say something but I kept my mouth shut.

Good luck!

Thanks, man.

I have a few that I can send you if you want them.

Dude, that'd be awesome! I'll PM you my email address.

Didn't do so well at this show, pigs are getting over being sick so they don't look their best. But there is another jackpot show in about a month, aalnd the majors will be here before we know it.

Sorry to hear that, but she'll get the next one.

Best of luck.

Thanks, man.

That is good to hear, and may it be something that works for you.
New opportunities are always welcome.

I'm hoping something works out, too, because I'm starting to lose hope.

Not too bad...

View attachment 499819

That was more theatrical looking when blood was streaming out of those rips and tears, but honestly, I've have on occasion caused considerably worse damage to my own hands.

That doesn't look that bad, although, a lot of blood makes you look good. Makes you look manly. Grrr. hahahaha

Interesting. Hour away though. Bit of a commute.

I did 2.5 hours for 14 years, so an hour is nothing...though I would prefer something closer. It is, however, a job...if I can get it.

Really! Huh. That could be a fun job.

It certainly would be interesting.

Found out from someone who overheard him ask if they get to work from home. Uhmmmm "Dude, you work in a warehouse...no, you can't work from home." Hahahaha

We went with the 3rd option. So, we will be at the Poly for a week in July. Now, gotta change flight and rent a car.

I hope it works out to be a great trip. It's gonna be different, that's for sure.

1. DDCC or Family Trip?

1. I love you guys, but I love my family more. No offense.
2. Probably EWP. From the Poly beach, Dole Whip in hand.
3. Haunted Mansion.
4. Probably the TRON coaster. I'm a little concerned over whether the spinning cars on Guardians are going to mess me up too much.
5. I think overall I enjoy Kali more. I just wish the ride were longer (that's sure to get a TWSS).

:rotfl2: Well, then it built character.

Found out from someone who overheard him ask if they get to work from home. Uhmmmm "Dude, you work in a warehouse...no, you can't work from home." Hahahaha

:rotfl:Full points for the effort, though.

Hey guys. Not much new to report. Most stores and restaurants finally opened up here today, with restrictions of course. DW had to work her first of three shifts this week at the Hallmark store. She wasn’t impressed. I guess she got used to the time off. But one of us has to make some money to pay for food or a Disney trip. You know, one of the important things in life.

So, we will be at the Poly for a week in July. Now, gotta change flight and rent a car.
Sounds like a decent alternative.
I have to be honest though. I don’t have much interest in a Disney trip with a lot of experiences closed down and having to wear a face mask in the Florida heat.
But I’ll be interested to hear about your experience.

1. DDCC or Family Trip?
I also have to go with a family trip, as much as I would like to get to DDCC one day
Electrical Water pageant - mainly because I’ve never seen it and RoL is a snooze fest. Dole whips and/or Trader Sams drinks in hand sounds like a good bonus too.
Haunted Mansion, hands down - I don’t do drops.
Probably TRON also because of the spinning vehicles in Guardians.
Kali - ‘cause drops, see above

1. DDCC or Family Trip?

1. Going to have to go with a family trip for this one
  2. Haven't seen Rivers of Light so going with the Electrical Water Pageant
  3. Haunted Mansion
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Kali

When we asked about Wild Africa Trek, the CM said all those special events were cancelled for the remainder of the year. I guess it's too dangerous to be outdoors in a small group of people right now. Maybe the scientists will declare COVID to be over, or at least declare it to be safe outdoors around large groups of people. Huh?

At least you guys got something, and the Poly! That's great! I'd love to stay there, even if it was one night.

Two good options. That commute will get you, but a year isn't bad.

While I'd prefer something closer to home, an hour commute isn't that bad. I had a 2.5 hour commute one way for 14 years, so that's nothing. But a year guaranteed? Sure.

:rotfl:Full points for the effort, though.

Oh totally full points for trying, I'll give him that much. And he has some big ones for asking in a position like that. I would have never asked a question like that in a warehouse position. I think that's just a given.

Hey guys. Not much new to report. Most stores and restaurants finally opened up here today, with restrictions of course. DW had to work her first of three shifts this week at the Hallmark store. She wasn’t impressed. I guess she got used to the time off. But one of us has to make some money to pay for food or a Disney trip. You know, one of the important things in life.

I remember when I went back to work after not having a job for 7 months...that was quite the shock to the system. hahahah

Not a bad compromise. But with fireworks cancelled you lose one of the perks

I liked fireworks better from TOTWL. At the end of the day, it was the 7 days, room size at Poly is bigger than BWV, and I didn't lose any points.

1. DDCC or Family Trip?
  5. Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapid
Family Trip
Electric Water Pageant
Haunted Mansion
Guardians
Splash Mountain

Was gonna say you should be able to get the name of that tequila fairly soon until I read your next post .......................

I still got 7 days of Annual passes, if we are allowed to go to the parks.

Sorry to hear Norm. As I referenced a bit back have some of the same uncertainty with the family for our July 29 trip.

The uncertainty is all because of Disney's poor management. They put their efforts into their NBA & MLS money deals. They can't figure out a plan to open restaurants? Really? Large gatherings are now being permitted outdoors as COVID isn't a concern. So, just like the other government entities, Disney is now just enforcing sanctions to deter people.

Not a bad consolation, but I'm sorry y'all can't use your points in the way that you wished to. We had to shift our trip from April to September. We'll see how things go as they start opening back up as to whether that will happen or not

Thanks. It doesn't set right that Disney gets to change my contract terms without recourse. Easier solution would just be to cancel & refund, or in DVC case, move all points forward a year, without restrictions. If they were COVID afraid, then don't open.

I hope it works out to be a great trip. It's gonna be different, that's for sure.

That's what I'm holding out hope for. There have been some positive articles on Universal's re-opening. If only Disney had the ability of Universal?

Sounds like a decent alternative.
I have to be honest though. I don’t have much interest in a Disney trip with a lot of experiences closed down and having to wear a face mask in the Florida heat.
But I’ll be interested to hear about your experience.

Me neither. But, I didn't have much of a choice thanks to Disney. In the past, Disney has always made it work. That doesn't seem to be their focus.

At least you guys got something, and the Poly! That's great! I'd love to stay there, even if it was one night.

While I'd prefer something closer to home, an hour commute isn't that bad. I had a 2.5 hour commute one way for 14 years, so that's nothing. But a year guaranteed? Sure.

We stayed at Poly 2 years ago. It was nice. And, much nicer than a 2.5 hour commute. I did a 30 minute commute for a year and hated it. Mornings weren't bad, but the time returning home was terrible.

We stayed at Poly 2 years ago. It was nice. And, much nicer than a 2.5 hour commute. I did a 30 minute commute for a year and hated it. Mornings weren't bad, but the time returning home was terrible.

My mornings usually started anywhere from 3:30-4:00 am. As such, my sleeping in is 5am.

Rob, you're a better man than me. I would have taken one look at the repairs needed for the roof drain and given up and bought a new car.
I know someone that's got one for sale...
We went with the 3rd option. So, we will be at the Poly for a week in July.
Not a bad option. :)
  1. DDCC or Family Trip?
  1. DDCC or Family Trip? - Love my solo time, but also love being with the fam. So family it is.
  2. Rivers of Light or Electrical Water Pageant? - ROL is boring. EWP.
  3. Haunted Mansion or TOT? - HM all the way.
  4. Looking more forward to TRON Light Cycle or Guardians of the Galaxy? - Tron. Saw a video of... Japan? Looks impressive.
  5. Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids? - Splash.
I have a buyer all lined up on your old one.
And it didn't help that when I was talking about it to the guy I work with, he responded, "Well it happened, so get over it!" I wanted to say something but I kept my mouth shut.
That's one you file away for future use.
When something unpleasant happens to him, and he's complaining about it, you can slap him on the back and say "Just like you told me, It happened, so get over it!"
I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
I did 2.5 hours for 14 years, so an hour is nothing...though I would prefer something closer. It is, however, a job...if I can get it.
14 years? Yikes! I did that for about a year and a half. That was plenty.
:laughing: Maybe he'll quit! Then when they ask you to help out, tell them you're not interested anymore.
Most stores and restaurants finally opened up here today, with restrictions of course.
Nice. I ate out at Popeyes today. Sure felt nice. First time eating in a restaurant in a loooong while.
DW had to work her first of three shifts this week at the Hallmark store. She wasn’t impressed. I guess she got used to the time off.
:rolleyes:
But one of us has to make some money to pay for food or a Disney trip. You know, one of the important things in life.
::yes::
Speaking of building character...
Here's a parenting win that I wish I'd though of about twenty years back...

View attachment 499878

... made me snicker.
:lmao:
I don't remember that one! Guess it's time to dust off the books and re-read them again.

Morning, Gents! Well, Monday came and went and it certainly was an interesting day. First off, the new guy started yesterday, as I have already mentioned, and that put me in a bad mood for most of the day. Secondly, the computer program we use was down all day so I couldn't do anything computer wise. I managed to stay busy for most of the day, but by 2pm it was evident that there was nothing else for me to do, so Bill, the guy who T'd me off yesterday, let me look for work the rest of the afternoon. Not sure if he knew he T'd me off with his comment or not, but that was pretty cool of him to let me spend the rest of the day on the computer looking for work. I took the assessment exam for the post office when I got home yesterday, man I hate those things. I have an outgoing personality and can work with just about anyone in just about any situation. However, those exams, I feel, are unrealistic, though they try to be. I've never done well with those exams and didn't do so well here. We'll see if I move forward or not. I just don't know. I'm getting tired of this game life is playing. Well, TTFN, gents.

That's one you file away for future use.
When something unpleasant happens to him, and he's complaining about it, you can slap him on the back and say "Just like you told me, It happened, so get over it!"
I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Oh I will, believe me, I will.

14 years? Yikes! I did that for about a year and a half. That was plenty.

Yep, 14 years. Don't know how I lasted so long but I did. Stubborn, I guess.

:laughing: Maybe he'll quit! Then when they ask you to help out, tell them you're not interested anymore.

I thought about that. I'd be great if he quits right before I leave for a new job.

So we cancelled our rooms for our July trip. Disney would not let us modify our reservation to January 2021. The Disney cast member told us they were not booking any 2021 dates. :mad: I am holding onto our August backup room for now to see if we can rebook that into January. With all the announcements of what is not available, I feel like we are paying for the full package and only getting half the deal! :worried:

Last edited:
Morning All,

Seeing many of you are cancelling or changing your WDW trips. That really bites and I can certainly understand why. Sucks to book a trip to WDW and then have many of the activities unavailable. I understand WDW's approach though, tough for a lot of those events that create large crowds in a small area to happen right now. Hopefully this will not last too long, Florida doesn't screw things up and WDW vacations can get back to what we all enjoy.

We didn't have any trips booked so we haven't had the disappointment of losing one happen. We are lucky here that we are moving along on our recovery process so we can enjoy a staycation later on July. DW and I have a cottage booked in Alma, NB with is the village next to Fundy National Park. Should be lots of scenic views, hiking and quiet relaxation; who knows Declan and his girlfriend may even come along for a couple of days.

Have a great day all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter