DCL Insurance Rebooking Question

Kpitts17

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! Quick question about the disney insurance for the cruise. We were looking to add it on just for precaution and didn't want to go to the hassle of booking alianz. The only reason right now we wouldn't be able to go is the death of one of my grandparents who could go at any time sadly. If for some reason we're a few days out from the cruise and have to call to cancel and rebook for a future date, how easy is that? Has anyone been through that process before? I would love to hear people's experiences and what they lost out on for rebooking.

Even if you have DCL's insurance, you have to file a claim with the insurance company underwriting the policy (currently, looks like Arch Insurance Company). So you will have to jump through the hoops of filing and providing the requested information. If the reason you are cancelling is covered, you get the reimbursement from them. If it turns out they deny your claim then DCL gives the 75% of your cruisefare as a cruise credit - so it isn't that you have that credit available immediately upon cancelling your cruise. Either way, you have to rebook the new dates you want and will be paying the current fare. (There's no consideration that you had been booked and fares are much higher now.) So depending on when you want to rebook, what is "lost out on for rebooking" can really vary.

To clarify, insurance doesn't actually provide for "rebooking" -- it allows for cancelling and receiving a reimbursement of non-refundable costs (partial or full). Once you receive the refund, you could then book another cruise at prevailing rates. The amount you receive back through a claim will depend on the reason for cancelling as well as the specific policy. I'm not positive of the coverage details for death of a non-traveling family member by the policy offered by DCL - some things are not 100% reimbursement. The policy offered via DCL does include an additional feature that if your claim is denied (not limited reimbursement but outright denied), they offer you a credit towards a future cruise within 12 months.

Third-party insurance may provide better coverage (i.e., 100% vs 70% vs not covered). It could be worth shopping an online comparison site.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter