DCL - Drinks Package

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
hey

Do you think Disney will ever start drinks packages. To include all your cocktails etc

As a young couple this is something we would really be interested in and most cruise lines do offer this

It's a shame Disney don't, wonder if they will one day

There was speculation they might offer something after changing their alcohol policy, but since nothing has happened yet, I doubt they ever will. I think business is good enough without offering drink packages and there's nothing compelling them to change unless their bookings were to drop off.

I think on so many lines the package dissolves into "We need to drink X drinks (always a huge number) to break even" so you end up with a lot of people overindulging to make sure they "get their money's worth". Which is not really the atmosphere Disney wants to promote on their ships.

I think on so many lines the package dissolves into "We need to drink X drinks (always a huge number) to break even" so you end up with a lot of people overindulging to make sure they "get their money's worth". Which is not really the atmosphere Disney wants to promote on their ships.

This is what I was thinking but was afraid to post because someone might jump down my throat with any number of accusations.

We noticed that drinks tended to be less expensive on DCL than most other lines. Carnival et al. tend to price cocktails in the $8-$10 range whereas most comparable drinks on DCL were on average about $2 less. We wondered if other lines might be inflating drink prices to make the beverage packages seem like a better deal.

This is what I was thinking but was afraid to post because someone might jump down my throat with any number of accusations.

All it takes is a quick glance at cruise critic's forums for other lines (not just the one everyone would naturally figure - I've seen it on RCCL, NCL, HAL, Princess,and Celebrity) to see any number of threads about "is it worth it?" and "how much to break even?" regarding drink packages.

I could see Disney going more in the way of the current drinks deal they offer. Like the wine packages. Or even in Skyline on the Fantasy where you can buy a passport with 7 drinks, but you only pay for 6. I think they also have something like this with beer as well as the beer mug promotion. I cannot see them going with the flat fee per day for all your drinks.

I could see Disney going more in the way of the current drinks deal they offer. Like the wine packages. Or even in Skyline on the Fantasy where you can buy a passport with 7 drinks, but you only pay for 6. I think they also have something like this with beer as well as the beer mug promotion. I cannot see them going with the flat fee per day for all your drinks.

I agree.

One big selling point (beyond the alcohol) on other lines is that pretty much all the packages include soda - which you do not pay extra for on DCL. So they sort of plug that for people who cannot go without their soda.

I'd really like a punch card-type deal! A drink for each day; no worries about how many drinks it would take to "break even". Even better if I could prepay and not even have to worry about putting a drink or two in the budget!

I'd really like a punch card-type deal! A drink for each day; no worries about how many drinks it would take to "break even". Even better if I could prepay and not even have to worry about putting a drink or two in the budget!

I agree with this. My wife and I aren't big drinkers, but we do enjoy a little now and then. A package where you could pre-purchase a set number of drinks throughout the ship for a discount (6 for the price of 5 or something) would be great. It would be easier (mentally) to relax and enjoy knowing that you had already committed to it. Kinda like the picture package. We came to terms with the fact that we were going to pay for the pictures and pulled the trigger, then on the ship we could relax and go to lots of photo ops, to enjoy what we had already committed to.

I think it would be a win-win. A bit of a discount for the cruiser, and a guaranty that DCL would get a certain number of drinks. I don't think something like this would encourage over-indulgence either, because it would only be for a drink or two a day.

My wife and I did split the "Passport" deal in the Skyline on Fantasy, (7 drinks for the price of 6, any drink any days, split between us), but it was only good for the one bar and their limited menu. We enjoyed it, but if we went back on the Fantasy, I think it would "get old." We'd like to hang out at other bars too.

to see any number of threads about "is it worth it?" and "how much to break even?" regarding drink packages.

But those threads aren't always "how CAN I make it worth it", but "IS it worth it", etc. I participate on those, to always find out that I don't drink enough and don't WANT to drink enough to make them worth it, so I don't get the packages. :)

It's a rare occasion when someone shows up and talks about how he has 20 drinks a day and his wife has 15...shudder. (but people who *can* drink like that for 7 days would likely drink that much *anyway*; the packages are just making it cheaper for them.)

But those threads aren't always "how CAN I make it worth it", but "IS it worth it", etc. I participate on those, to always find out that I don't drink enough and don't WANT to drink enough to make them worth it, so I don't get the packages. :)

It's a rare occasion when someone shows up and talks about how he has 20 drinks a day and his wife has 15...shudder. (but people who *can* drink like that for 7 days would likely drink that much *anyway*; the packages are just making it cheaper for them.)

Most of these "all you can drink" packages include soda, bottled water, specialty coffee and fresh squeezed juices. They are a great deal.

Most of these "all you can drink" packages include soda, bottled water, specialty coffee and fresh squeezed juices. They are a great deal.

Agree. We were on a Costa ship last summer and had a drink package. A server would be working the breakfast buffet area taking specialty coffee orders. Between cappacino at breakfast and sparkling water served on deck in the afternoon we had a good deal with only one or two real drinks a day plus wine at dinner.

I would fall over and cry tears of joy if Disney finally rolled out a per day all-inclusive adult beverage package that included bottled water. Would I drink enough to make it "worth it"? Probably not. The time I paid for the package on Allure I think maybe the bottled water got us close. Our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in Sept 2015 (no kids) we got the drink package for "free". I did save every bar receipt because I wanted to see what our total would be if we drank all the things we wanted to. $886. Nope, not once were we ever sloppy drunk or drunk at all. We had a blast. I want the convenience. All the soda drinkers like having the ability to sail without having to worry about buying sodas. I don't drink soda. Let me pay for the convenience of not having a fat bill at the end of my cruise. It's a convenience I'd *love* to have on Disney.

Count me in as someone who wishes they would! I plan on maintaining a decent buzz on my upcoming cruise and the lack of alcohol packages definitely puts a damper on that. Of course I will individually purchase the drinks, but I hate that I will have to budget and keep up with it. I would much rather pay and then not worry about it.

I realize Disney isn't a booze cruise, but it's still a cruise that caters to those who want to relax on vacation. Well, some relax with a drink lol. I read that the old rules were that you could bring bottles of liquor on the ship. That would definitely work better for me. I'm concerned that Disney won't make their drinks as strong as to my liking, thus not getting my money's worth. In which case I will just turn to shots to get the job done.

I'm not a beer drinker and I'm not big on wine, so those carry on exceptions aren't beneficial to me. I hope Disney will reconsider in the future.

Maybe the frequent cruisers that have experience with other cruise lines can answer this, but isn't the cost of a drink package around $350 give or take per person? If so, that seems to work out to an average of about 6 to 7 drinks per day on a week long cruise. So that's probably why that amount because they figure that's where the average probably is. Some will drink less, some more. They also factor in that odds are some people won't be feeling well on some days and not drink, so that's where they make the money.

I find with the drink of the day, it's pretty reasonable, it's only $6/drink which seems reasonable and the drinks are so good! I do think the wine packages are overpriced but grateful for them as I can't imagine spending $80 for a bottle of wine per night

I doubt they will only because of the image consideration. They try so hard to make themselves out as the family cruise line and the free soda is a part of that. Announcing a package that will at least look like it is designed to help people drink to excess is not conducive to that image. The powers that be know how Carnival got a reputation as a booze cruise line, even though many here can attest that the reputation is a bit exaggerated. I just don't see DCL doing anything so certain to affect their imagine that way.

EDIT: I wish I could blame it on spellcheck but I managed to write imagine instead of image. My brain is still in Florida and probably won't be back for some time it seems.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter