DCL - Drinks Package

I want to kick back and relax and just show my card.
I don't really get this.

On another cruise line we purchased a soda package, so we had to show our package card to be charged against every time we ordered a soda. Or, if we ordered an alcoholic drink, we showed our room card for the drink to be charged against our onboard account. Neither one was any more of a hassle than the other.

Why is it "easier" to have a card for a drink package?

I don't really get this.

On another cruise line we purchased a soda package, so we had to show our package card to be charged against every time we ordered a soda. Or, if we ordered an alcoholic drink, we showed our room card for the drink to be charged against our onboard account. Neither one was any more of a hassle than the other.

Right, the only thing I can get from that is the peace of mind issue I guess. Knowing you can keep ordering drink after drink and it's not going to add to your bill since you prepaid. Doing the math, if you can drink enough to make it worthwhile, the difference is really not that much. So why not pay as you go just in case you can't imbibe enough.

I don't really get this.

Because I won't be trying to mentally tally up what we are spending.

I never had a drink of the day that was a frozen drink? They all had been on the rocks. However, I think some are far better than others and they all tend to be on the sweeter side, so I can see why someone would not like them.
I meant either/or. ;) On embarkation day the servers wander with a tray of frozen drinks. No clue if those are the drink of the day. Maybe I assumed they were. If they are or not, not for me.

The one drink of the day I like is on the Halloween sailings. The Spooky Juice. I enjoy those.

Right, the only thing I can get from that is the peace of mind issue I guess. Knowing you can keep ordering drink after drink and it's not going to add to your bill since you prepaid. Doing the math, if you can drink enough to make it worthwhile, the difference is really not that much. So why not pay as you go just in case you can't imbibe enough.
That's exactly it. It's a peace of mind thing. You know there's no bill at the end. It's a convenience/peace of mind I'm willing to pay extra to have even realizing I might not drink the actual full value. Just so it never has to cross my mind again.

I just did this on the Dream this week. It was about $9-10 for the plastic souvenier cup, and refills for the drink of the day were about $5.50 (including the auto gratuity). They will either wash your cup or bring you a new one when you get it refilled ( I witnessed both with mine - I started with a clear cup and ended up with a yellow one). Unless they change the cups, you could easily bring your old one back for the discount - they haven't changed the cups since my first Disney cruise 11 years ago.

If you're a beer drinker, the beer mug is really nice - heavy glass with a handle. $15 for the mug with your first fill and the refills are at the smaller beer size price (I don't know the cost on that though).
weird question maybe... do they have any hard ciders that count as beer?

weird question maybe... do they have any hard ciders that count as beer?

Not weird as those of us who are gluten-free often don't have other alternatives... :) I've had the same question about if there are ciders and if they would count for the beer mug package.

I read on the Cruise Q&A that: Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/
This really stinks on the longer cruises though. We are on the EBTA and have 6 sea days after we board before we get to the next port. So what, we ration it 1/day?

I see your point...4 bottles for six days can be pushing it. At least it's something...??? Anyone know how closely they monitor stashed liquor? Not that I'm suggesting anyone should bend the rules...just inquiry?

I see your point...4 bottles for six days can be pushing it. At least it's something...??? Anyone know how closely they monitor stashed liquor? Not that I'm suggesting anyone should bend the rules...just inquiry?
If you're asking if anyone has smuggled anything onboard before....... :rolleyes1

^^^^^^This!!! I don't want to worry about my bar bill at the end, I want to kick back and relax and just show my card. I don't drink soda, I want good coffee and sparkling water and a few drinks here and there.
I'm like this also. On DCL I add OBC to my account. On carnival I add the cruise cash or Bar cash. On NCL we've gotten the free drink package. On Carnival the drink package includes any alcoholic drink under 50 dollars, Soda, milkshakes, coffee, energy drinks, and vitamin water for 50.00 dollars. I think this is a pretty good value especially if you want to try some of the more expensive drinks and top shelf liquors. I haven't tried it yet, but I might the next time I cruise on Carnival. I could never get my money's worth just drinking alcohol, but throw in all the other stuff I might come close. RCCL's package I believe is 70.00 dollars....not worth it for me. I think a drink package or drink card with a certain number of drinks for a reduced price would be a good idea.

Ditto on the gluten free. If I could get hard ciders I would love it!

I just contacted them via the email form to ask if there are either gluten-free beers or ciders that can be used with the beer mug "package". I'll update when I hear back.

(I didn't think to ask if 6 bottles of cider could be brought on board rather than beer though. Sorry!)

I think you could bring on 6 hard ciders.. as long as they are 12 oz bottles, I think that would be the same as beer. As far as smuggling, we've cruised twice since the alcohol policy change, and both times we received travel bottles of liquor in our FE.

Does anyone have experience with wine packages? I love wine and coffee, and beer, but not really a sweet drink fan and don't do soda. Sparkling water sounds nice!! Maybe you could bring some on board? Is bottled water covered with food/soda that is included? From what I've heard I'm nervous about the included coffee....

Does anyone have experience with wine packages? I love wine and coffee, and beer, but not really a sweet drink fan and don't do soda. Sparkling water sounds nice!! Maybe you could bring some on board? Is bottled water covered with food/soda that is included? From what I've heard I'm nervous about the included coffee....
No, bottled water is not included. The drink stations have tap water. As a note, the water from the drink station is the same water that comes from the tap in your room. The same water used to prepare food, make ice.

dream 2014 poolside 14087 P1020207 1500.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!