DCL carry-on alcohol policy changing Sept. 30 2015

Maybe 5% of cruisers on DCL visit these boards, of them, this thread is active but has mixed views and other threads like happy with DCL Alcohol policy have been formed and some people are taking the sensible view to avoid the thread or lurk and not post. The Disboards doesn't have the power you infer, it can cause some poor DCL CMs at the call center, ( who didn't bring the policy in) a lot of grief and complaints making their day on the phones harder than normal.

I think the few think that ganging up to encourage letter writing, ( one thread) or calling in will not have any affect. Smoking policy was changed and stuck that actually had more reaction.

The smoking policy is not a fair comparison, especially when you look at the american side of the pond. Here it is just accepted here that smoking is being banned anywhere that is public, so this happening on the cruise ship mirrors what we see here.

I am just now hearing this; I'm surprised DCL decided to head down this road.

I know from my regular trips on Carnival and RCCL that these rules are routinely ignored. I travel with a big group, and at least half easily smuggle their alcohol onboard. The other half just pick up their alcohol and the end of the cruise and try again - typically successfully -- the next year. I wonder if DCL is really going to like getting into these arguments with passengers on every cruise. This rule DOES NOT deter people from bringing liquor onboard.

My DH will very much dislike this rule, and as we were already talking about trying other lines, it might be a tipping point for us.

I agree people are still going to bring their alcohol onboard. People do it on other cruise lines...why wouldn't they do it on DCL. Your'e not breaking any laws the worse thing that happens is they take your booze. It's no different than people smuggling drinks and candy into movie theatres... who doesn't do that?

maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no
larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) in their
carry-on luggage at the beginning of the cruise

I never looked closely at the policy, does this mean you CAN NOT brink the wine or beer in a carry on?

There is only 1 reason and 1 reason only Disney is doing this MONEY!!!

For years we complained about smoking on board (A REAL HEALTH ISSUE)

And Disney gave us the same BS they review their policies. I took WAY too long for Disney to change the smoking policy.

Its just a matter of time for their to be no more carry on at all. Im surprised Disney has not used Walt as an example, he NEVER wanted alcohol in the Parks. That has stayed the same, correct. Oh wait EPCOT Wine festival, Be Our Guest, Studios wide open and so is Animal Kingdom, just too much money available

I don't think so. There really aren't that many people complaining. If you look at this thread and the official DCL Facebook page, it's a small number of people making most of the noise.

I've never been on a Disney cruise, and this is the first time I've even looked at this particular forum. But the reason I did this morning was because the issue was front and center when I was doing my usual morning review of current events (Yahoo, WSJ, Reuters, etc). There actually are a lot of people complaining and I think Disney may have underestimated just how many customers rationalized that being able to bring their own alcohol on-board justified their premium cruise prices.

Maybe 5% of cruisers on DCL visit these boards, of them, this thread is active but has mixed views and other threads like happy with DCL Alcohol policy have been formed and some people are taking the sensible view to avoid the thread or lurk and not post. The Disboards doesn't have the power you infer, it can cause some poor DCL CMs at the call center, ( who didn't bring the policy in) a lot of grief and complaints making their day on the phones harder than normal.

I think the few think that ganging up to encourage letter writing, ( one thread) or calling in will not have any affect. Smoking policy was changed and stuck that actually had more reaction.
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say, especially the first run-on sentence which is a syntactic mess. And what did I infer about the power of this Board?

I noticed on my sailing in November that all of the sudden a bunch of CAT T one bedroom suites are now available. Wonder if those people cancelled (or moved sail dates) due to the new policy. Hoping for a port upgrade now to CAT T.......wishful thinking.

It's also being discussed on Cruise Critic, even threads in sections dedicated to other cruise lines. There's also FB, other social media, etc. THEN, there's news outlets reporting on this. And word of mouth is going a long way as my hubby is getting a LOT of people coming to him asking what the heck is going on. 2 have subsequently confirmed cancellations on sailings from Galveston. It's not just a little contingent here on Dis. Not by a long shot.

it is sad to say that Disney will do what they want and when they want. I don't think anyone from DCL actually reads these threads. The only way they will take notice is if sales drop.

it is sad to say that Disney will do what they want and when they want. I don't think anyone from DCL actually reads these threads. The only way they will take notice is if sales drop.
Rest assured, they read these forums. And Cruise Critic. And Facebook. And so on. The question is, in the end, will they place a higher value on customer satisfaction or on revenue. There are very, very few companies that have (and depend on) a customer base that is also a fan base. Others include Apple and Harley Davidson. But even they pale in comparison to the public perception of Disney. And when a company's livelihood is so tightly bound to its reputation and public perception, they have entire teams of employees whose primary job is to stalk social media to see which way the wind is blowing, (and some even orchestrate counter-attacks as needed).

Here's the thing. If you don't want to read the complaints/opinions that differ from yours or are just tired of it, there is this little x next to your tab or a bigger, red x, at the top of the web page. See it? OK, if you click it, you don't have to read the complaints any longer! That, my friends, is magic.

Now, yes, this is a first world problem, but seriously, for 98% of us that live in the US, most of our daily problems are first world problems. Isn't it great that we live in a country where we are ALL allowed to voice our opinions. I am allowed to write to a company and say, hey, I don't like this. I don't see what the problem is by encouraging others to do the same. It only takes a tiny breeze to create that first wave. Without one voice, there may not be others. I am free to post and keep on writing if that's how I want to spend my time, why let it bother you? If you don't want to do it, there is no judgment, you may have other things that occupy your time. I'll let you be you and I will be me, how's that for everyone?

So please, write, call, e-mail, tweet, post on FB, do something if you are not happy with this new policy.

I would also like to point out that I did not justify the higher price just because of the alcohol policy. It was a factor, but not the ONLY reason, there is more than one reason to sail on DCL. It is truly their lack of a non-form response and the way they have handled this policy change for those who have already Paid in Full. I just would like them to make it right for those of us that could not cancel and felt like they pulled a bait and switch.

Rest assured, they read these forums. And Cruise Critic. And Facebook. And so on. The question is, in the end, will they place a higher value on customer satisfaction or on revenue. There are very, very few companies that have (and depend on) a customer base that is also a fan base. Others include Apple and Harley Davidson. But even they pale in comparison to the public perception of Disney. And when a company's livelihood is so tightly bound to its reputation and public perception, they have entire teams of employees whose primary job is to stalk social media to see which way the wind is blowing, (and some even orchestrate counter-attacks as needed).
This is true. If people don't know this they should be aware. Disney has people who work for them that read fan forums. They interject to try to steer conversation. They are most definitely here among us. Disney knows.

So my friend called, and asked about the alcohol proceedure and they said the current is 2 bottles of wine or champange. I think he didn't mention we are sailing prior to 9/30/15 - b/c we were initially told anything. Does anyone have a copy of the FAQ before the change?

So my friend called, and asked about the alcohol proceedure and they said the current is 2 bottles of wine or champange. I think he didn't mention we are sailing prior to 9/30/15 - b/c we were initially told anything. Does anyone have a copy of the FAQ before the change?

Here's what was at the bottom of my upcoming full payment notice emailed the other day:

10. ALCOHOL POLICY: Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, each Guest 21 years and older may bring two bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) or six beers (no larger than 12oz) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call. All wine/champagne and beer brought onboard must be packed in the Guest's carry-on luggage. Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the completion of the cruise. Guests are not allowed to bring liquors or spirits (including powdered alcohol) onboard.

These Terms and Conditions are subject to change by Disney Cruise Line at any time without notice. Revised July-2015​

As you can see, these policies were updated effective in July 2015, BUT this particular policy has a 9/30/15 implementation date. So, you should be golden. Have a glass of something that's illegal for the rest of us to bring on board and remember us fondly while on your lovely vacation. :sunny:

Does anyone have a copy of the FAQ before the change?
Yes -

Q:May Guests bring alcohol onboard?
A:While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:•Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.•Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.•Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension•Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Yes -

Q:May Guests bring alcohol onboard?
A:While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:•Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.•Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.•Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension•Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Thank you!

Disney watches. They see. That's a fact.

If they read them, I wonder how much does it help?

So you think DCL trying to keep its costs down, and increase profits, pays a person to read all of these threads here. No.

Sometimes these boards get ahead of themselves on the tiny influence they have.

They have a full time job answering, ( and deleting their facebook page ) and answering, contact us and emails.

They do not have time to read these boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter