Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Question - would DVC Allow it? Doesn’t the reservation have to keep the original guest or it becomes a new reservation ?
It remains the same reservation. Canceling a reservation is very risky as the room would be released and could instantly go to a waitlisted booking.

May I inquire what kind of mod you made that would induce David to pay you to do it ? It would seem it would be outside of your contract ? I’m just curious if you don’t mind sharing - if you do mind that is cool too

So you would have to cancel and rebook not modify by adding and removing names that is what I thought I just got confused
Thanks

Question - would DVC Allow it? Doesn’t the reservation have to keep the original guest or it becomes a new reservation ?

No. You can not change the lead name online, but you can modify guests as much as you want as an owner,

Disney has a rule for cash reservations booked on bounce back that the lead has to stay on it, but not DVC

So, if you need to change all guests, just chat with MS and tell them to update guests, If the lead guest remains, you can add and change all others online.

May I inquire what kind of mod you made that would induce David to pay you to do it ? It would seem it would be outside of your contract ? I’m just curious if you don’t mind sharing - if you do mind that is cool too
Once it was a different room type for the same days, and once it was a main guest name change, I think. Yes, it is outside of the contract - but if I can make an extra $1pp for working a bit to change a reservation, why not?

Oh I agree !
I had inquired on my rental way back before this nightmare if there was any way I could upgrade my room to be rudely met from David’s with No - I was more than willing to pay for the changes and it was 11 months out - would it have killed them to at least inquire ? Customer Service is a foreign language to that company long before covid !

So when theme park reservations open up, who is gonna book for the renters, considering the owners are the ones getting contacted?

I emailed David's this morning about my Labor Day week trip and let them know that I am not comfortable traveling to a tourist destination before a vaccine is available. They responded promptly with these options:

As the Disney Vacation Club resorts are officially open during your stay, we are obligated to fulfill the contract by paying your DVC Owner whose points have been absorbed by the Disney Vacation Club for your reservation.
Although the contract will have been fulfilled, we are committed to going above and beyond in offering you the following option.
What we can offer is to attempt to re-rent your reservation. We will be responsible for trying to find another renter for this reservation. If we are successful, then we can offer you the following compensation:
100% of your funds, in the form of a Travel Credit. The Travel Credit is valid for 36 months and does not need to be used exclusively for a Disney Vacation Club Reservation. You may utilize this travel credit for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Lines, Walt Disney World Resorts (value, moderate, deluxe booking) or Adventures by Disney
Or
A partial refund. There will be a restocking fee of $3.00 per point, which is used to cover the costs of the fees, workforce, and the use of our resources to advertise the reservation. Once the new renter pays for their booking, we will provide you with a refund less the restocking fee to the same method of payment that was originally used.
If we cannot find a new renter, then we will not be able to refund your money as this would place the DVC owner in financial harm’s way. The DVC points system is very complicated, which is the reason we have a final sale policy.
If we do not find a new renter, the reservation will remain booked in your name. The DVC booking owner will not cancel it.
If you accept these terms, we will reach out to your DVC booking owner to inquire if they are willing to accommodate. Please understand that owners choose to use our service because we take the hassle out of rentals by offering a no refund policy. While we know that this is a crucial matter to your family, we also have to maintain our contractual obligations with our owners, and they may choose not to assist.

I think I will go with the partial refund option and hope that they are able to rebook with a new renter. Thoughts?
This is the first I'm seeing anything about a partial refund? Has anyone else seen that offered before?

So when theme park reservations open up, who is gonna book for the renters, considering the owners are the ones getting contacted?
Why wouldn’t the renter be contacted. I am a renter and see everything in MDE, I would expect to be contacted or have access to this system. Is their something I am missing ?

Wow that is a new spin dud he get a new attorney and a PR person ?? Doing some image control ?? Seems that ship sailed !!
I do sincerely hope this works out for you !! I also really hope he sticks to his word this time and tries to do the right thing !! It will be a refreshing change.

Wow that is a new spin dud he get a new attorney and a PR person ?? Doing some image control ?? Seems that ship sailed !!
I do sincerely hope this works out for you !! I also really hope he sticks to his word this time and tries to do the right thing !! It will be a refreshing change.

I got the response from them in less than an hour which was nice. I just emailed back and asked to go with the partial refund option. Here's hoping my owner will be willing to rebook with a new renter and that David's can find a new renter for the reservation... fingers crossed... seems like it might be a long shot but worth a try!

What makes you think that “renters” would not be contacted? My daughter and her friends are going in September. She got the email and she’s not on my DVC membership and goes by her married name. As far as DVC is concerned, she is my guest just like any renter would be.

What are the odds though that it will be able to be re-rented with the ticket purchase restrictions?

I emailed David's this morning about my Labor Day week trip and let them know that I am not comfortable traveling to a tourist destination before a vaccine is available. They responded promptly with these options:

As the Disney Vacation Club resorts are officially open during your stay, we are obligated to fulfill the contract by paying your DVC Owner whose points have been absorbed by the Disney Vacation Club for your reservation.
Although the contract will have been fulfilled, we are committed to going above and beyond in offering you the following option.
What we can offer is to attempt to re-rent your reservation. We will be responsible for trying to find another renter for this reservation. If we are successful, then we can offer you the following compensation:
100% of your funds, in the form of a Travel Credit. The Travel Credit is valid for 36 months and does not need to be used exclusively for a Disney Vacation Club Reservation. You may utilize this travel credit for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Lines, Walt Disney World Resorts (value, moderate, deluxe booking) or Adventures by Disney
Or
A partial refund. There will be a restocking fee of $3.00 per point, which is used to cover the costs of the fees, workforce, and the use of our resources to advertise the reservation. Once the new renter pays for their booking, we will provide you with a refund less the restocking fee to the same method of payment that was originally used.
If we cannot find a new renter, then we will not be able to refund your money as this would place the DVC owner in financial harm’s way. The DVC points system is very complicated, which is the reason we have a final sale policy.
If we do not find a new renter, the reservation will remain booked in your name. The DVC booking owner will not cancel it.
If you accept these terms, we will reach out to your DVC booking owner to inquire if they are willing to accommodate. Please understand that owners choose to use our service because we take the hassle out of rentals by offering a no refund policy. While we know that this is a crucial matter to your family, we also have to maintain our contractual obligations with our owners, and they may choose not to assist.

I think I will go with the partial refund option and hope that they are able to rebook with a new renter. Thoughts?
Don’t take this the wrong way because I would be happy for you if this works out...

BUT

As an owner, I would be upset if I had to go thru changing a reservation over to a new renter because David wants to look like a hero. And he gets to keep $3/point for HIS troubles?!! What about the owner that either has to contact member services to change the names on an existing reservation or secure an entirely new reservation for him? Apparently the owner’s time has no value. SMH :sad2:

Or

I would take the partial refund but remember, thIs requires an owner to be willing to agree to a new rental situation.

Some will and some won’t...I have already posted that I will be one of those owners who will not because renting to a new renter puts me under a new contract with the broker, and his new terms and conditions are not something I would ever agree to.

I get you are not comfortable going, but I also think you need to be prepared that an owner will say no.

Good luck.

ETA: I see you said above you realize it is a long shot.

Last edited:
Availability ??? Seems to be in short supply for DVC unless a whole bunch of people cancel - I’ve been scouting to do a short trip any DVC resort slim pickins ! Someone may want to grab something already booked BUT the Owner should insist on a slice of that Fee David is charging

Don’t take this the wrong way because I would be happy for you if this works out...

BUT

As an owner, I would be upset if I had to go thru changing a reservation over to a new renter because David wants to look like a hero. And he gets to keep $3/point for HIS troubles?!! What about the owner that either has to contact member services to change the names on an existing reservation or secure an entirely new reservation for him? Apparently the owner’s time has no value. SMH :sad2:

Good point! Yeah, i wonder if he will offer any of that $3 to the owner.

The only positive I see in this is that it sounds like I will be getting my 30%. I had written that off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter