• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dating Red Flags?

If he treats the wait staff badly, that's how he's going to treat you after he no longer needs to put his best foot forward.
I haven't dated since college, but that was definitely a red flag I paid attention to!

I'm glad I'm old and married and not in the online dating world now, but if I was, I agree with whoever said there's a difference between absolute deal-breakers and things I would need to know more about before deciding. - Is that what they mean by red flags and yellow flags?

Anyone who wanted to spend excessive time with me. Give me an opportunity to breathe please.
An interest in wearing matching outfits would cause alarms to go off. The man tried that but gave up the idea before we got to the deal breaker stage.

All I can think of for the moment but well I’m not interested in a long term relationship any more; too much work.

And also, I have to say, intimate (I don't know if the DIS will let me type in the word I want here) preferences.
This is truly important. When I was on the market, I got a lot of people who were intensely in favour of polyamory or non monogamy. This is NOT something I am interested in (I know, surprising given that it's me) at all. Most poly relationships I've seen have gone up in smoke. So this is an important question to ask (assuming it's along the lines of what you meant).

I’m in a long-term marriage and haven’t dated in well over 30 years. When I was young and single, I knew certain characteristics I was looking for, and focused on that. I think of red flags as things like a big ego/arrogance, controlling personality, jealousy, etc.

If I ever had to do it again, being older and wiser, some of the red flags would be different. For example, as others have said, politics were not important to me back then, but now hold much greater significance. I’d also be open to dating a divorced person (which I’ve never done), simply because people my age (over 60), naturally come with more life experience, and baggage, so to speak.

Last edited:

Once my wife and I established that we were both atheists, the next question turned to travel as that was a big part of our lives too. I guess I should also add that if someone didn't HAVE a passport, then that was a no go from the start.
This is strange to me. There are SO many reasons a person may not have a passport and traveled. It doesn't mean that if you got together with the person they would refuse to travel.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s with parents who took vacations and traveling seriously. By the time I was 13, I had visited every state except Alaska. I met my husband when I was 18 and he was 21. He had never left New England and had exactly two vacations in his life. Both to the ocean about 45 minutes from his home.

We've been married for almost 37 years and have traveled multiple times a year from day one.

This is strange to me. There are SO many reasons a person may not have a passport and traveled. It doesn't mean that if you got together with the person they would refuse to travel.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s with parents who took vacations and traveling seriously. By the time I was 13, I had visited every state except Alaska. I met my husband when I was 18 and he was 21. He had never left New England and had exactly two vacations in his life. Both to the ocean about 45 minutes from his home.

We've been married for almost 37 years and have traveled multiple times a year from day one.
That's good that it all worked out. I suppose once I got serious about dating, I was at a point where I really didn't want to mess around. I knew what I was looking for and getting together with someone for whom travel, especially international travel, was a priority was very important to me. If someone just doesn't have a passport, that indicates to me that they are not vested in leaving the country. Considering I have dual citizenship and plan on living abroad, no passport would also make me curious as to how open they were to that as well. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how I chose to filter out potential partners.

Been out of the dating world for 44 years but I never had any "process" for screening dates. We went out, had a good time, and there was always a second date. Of course I did have friends to were out looking for a spouse, but I never got into that.

That's good that it all worked out. I suppose once I got serious about dating, I was at a point where I really didn't want to mess around. I knew what I was looking for and getting together with someone for whom travel, especially international travel, was a priority was very important to me. If someone just doesn't have a passport, that indicates to me that they are not vested in leaving the country. Considering I have dual citizenship and plan on living abroad, no passport would also make me curious as to how open they were to that as well. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how I chose to filter out potential partners.

I get what you're saying, especially since you're a dual citizen. I have known a lot of people who have never traveled internationally who are fond of saying..."why would I bother visiting (blank) when there are so many great things I haven't seen here in the US". And anyone like that....wouldn't be for me. I find that a lot of those people are intimidated by international travel, and I was always interested in someone who is a bit more adventurous. Not that you really need to be all that adventurous anymore to travel internationally in most places around the globe.

I tried the dating sites for a bit. I hit the back button on:
Guys that just have pix of all their expensive toys, smoked, had young children(or still wanted to have children), mentioned certain political things I was not interested in, were in the process of a divorce, or that hadn't had a relationship that lasted more than 1-2 years.
I met some and didn't like:
The guy who was rude and didn't tip the waitress.
The guy who flossed at the table.
The one that suggested hopping in bed right off the bat.
The ones that were cheaters.
The one that had to check his credit cards to see which one he could put his $12 meal on.
The one that wouldn't stop saying Disney was just for little kids. I told him he didn't have to like it, but it was a fun place for many. He would not stop repeating it was just for kids.
So here I am, 55, and haven't had a date since the end of my 40's. That has to do a lot with my looks though......lol

Guys that just have pix of all their expensive toys, smoked, had young children(or still wanted to have children), mentioned certain political things I was not interested in, were in the process of a divorce, or that hadn't had a relationship that lasted more than 1-2 years.
The one that had to check his credit cards to see which one he could put his $12 meal on.
The one that wouldn't stop saying Disney was just for little kids. I told him he didn't have to like it, but it was a fun place for many. He would not stop repeating it was just for kids.
So here I am, 55, and haven't had a date since the end of my 40's. That has to do a lot with my looks though......lol
Page 4 and finally someone listed what was always my dating deal-breaker ; smoking. Nope, goodbye.
I would never reject someone because they had kids, but if I was a woman and met a guy who fathered a kid and wasn't in his/her life that would be my sign to not walk, but run away - quickly.

Apparently on this dating appt that DD is using, many people say “Moderate” for their political affiliation, instead of liberal or conservative outright. That, in itself, was a little turn off for DD. She’d rather someone just be honest, as she found out in talking more that there were usually definite preferences.

With animals, it’s not a check off, but most people have pictures with pets if it’s important to them, or they talk about it in their profiles. And other things like sports, travel, hobbies, work and the like.

I read somewhere that a turn off that some people had on dating sights was people posing with pictures of expensive boats and cars and things when they weren’t actually their own. Or posting a lot of group pictures in which it’s unclear who’s who.

Btw is anyone here familar with the term breadcrumbing? That was a new one for me, but apparently it’s something that people are seeing more and more today in the dating world.

Breadcrumbing

Page 4 and finally someone listed what was always my dating deal-breaker ; smoking. Nope, goodbye.
That is something I never thought about just because I can only think of one woman of my age that I was around that smoked. The people I was around of my age just weren't smokers. Lots of smokers when I got out into the working world, but they were all my parents age. And that was when smoking was allowed everywhere.
Not sure what I would have done if someone I was considering dating was a smoker.

PLEASE tell me you're joking.
🤢🤮
I had my share of very bad dates before I met my husband.
The rude one.
The married one.
The one who sent a 20 yr old pic and lied about being employed.
The one who on the first date told me I would need to sell my car and get a minivan because he had 4 kids and I had 2 and he couldn’t manage any longer since his wife died. I may have burned rubber leaving the driveway.
The one who offered me drugs. Hard No.
The one who was a little person and never felt that was worth a mention. Now I’m 5’3 so I wasn’t really bothered but it made me think what else is he hiding.
The 40 yr old living home in mom’s cellar.
Oh and one asked me for cash for gas after he forgot his wallet at dinner.
You kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince.

DH and I worked together and were both dating other people initially. But we talked a lot in the course of our work and found we had so much in common in terms of background, family, pets, work ethic, outlook on life, sense of humor, etc. It made for very easy conversation and things to do together, etc.

My German Shepherd at the time had this funny habit of putting his whole mouth on your leg and keeping it there, digging his teeth in in spurts (things I didn’t know back then that I wouldn’t allow today, lol). I told the dog to knock it off but now-DH said no, he didn’t mind at all, lol. Poor guy‘s pant leg was soaking wet from the dog sitting that way for a half an hour, and he took it in stride. My kind of guy!

His compassion was not just with animals, but with people, I learned, even though on the outside you might not expect it from him. But all the older ladies we worked with knew it as they always loved him, all the time. He’d tease them and they’d eat it up. And he’s never strayed from either of those qualities all these years. We’ve never disagreed on either pets or relationships. He was very good to my mother who lived with us for 25 years! And a really great husband to me and Dad to our kids - always there for them, every day, and still today.

When we were young I’d say politically we weren’t super far off from eachother, but we weren’t exactly on the same page, either. It wasn’t an issue for us, at all, though my views evolved independently over the years and are now more in line with his. But I do think that today, for most people, political views have taken on more meaning than they perhaps did in the past. Views can be so volatile now. I know a couple who is married with young kids and they are completely opposite and it’s a big problem, mental health wise. One of them has even threatened divorce over it 😳 so it’s a constant source of stress in their relationship. So today it’s probably important to figure that out early on. I think vacation style is important, too.

@Lord Manhammer We never had passports early on, and still don’t. I met DH when I was in the first of seven years of college, and was working two jobs just to help make ends meet, etc. For the first ten years of our married life what vacations we had were spent renovating something in the house, one project at a time. We didn’t really have much money to go somewhere local, let alone internationally. We used our last $3K to pay for our wedding, and started savings from scratch again; interest rates were 11.5% when we bought our first house in a high COL area, and it took us putting another $10K down in order to refinance when interest rates dropped, so it seemed we were always behind the eight ball financially.

The first Disney vacation we took was 14 years into our marriage when our kids were 3yo. And the only reason we did that is because my mother encouraged us to go, showing us an ad in the newspaper for a Disney special, “Kids fly and play for free”. That trip cost us about $1500 and that was huge for us. We gave up things like buying coffee and brown bagged lunches for months in order to save for it. But the rest is history, as we decided to prioritize those family vacations, which we all really loved, and have never regretted. You’ll be glad to know that a European visit is on our bucket list. I don’t like flying, so it will be a big step for me when we decide to go (and with luck, my son will be flying the plane), but we will make it there someday🤞and will get passports then. Just to maybe give another perspective on that topic. Even when I think of retirement travel isn’t the high priority that it seems to be for some people, but to each their own!

I believe it was mentioned on page 1. As someone who has never smoked, I too would never date a smoker. Aside from the awful smell and eye irritation (esp wearing contact lenses), it’s a huge turn-off. As the saying goes, “Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.” :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter