DAS at both WDW and DLR... Do I get a badge? ;)

IndianaPrincess

Mouseketeer
We are back from a short visit to Magic Kingdom and you may remember my postings from our fall break trip to Disneyland. So I have been through both scenarios and lived to tell the story.

I got the DAS for my son at guest relations at WDW outside the gate the day before we went into the park. She did hesitate to give it to me which shocked the heck out of me. We have a stroller and she said that he could stay in there for the lines. I had to again request the DAS pass telling her that the stroller doesn't solve all the issues I provided. I didn't walk away feeling the best about how that all went down, but she did give us a pass and so it was fine.

The other issue we had was with getting the first return time. When we got the pass, the CM asked what we wanted to ride first. I told her we were just planning ahead for tomorrow and she told us to stop in to guest relations inside the park on our way in to get our first return time to start the card. Well that's what we did... waited in the line... finally got to the front... and that cast member told us that you can only get the times at the rides. I explained that we were told to do this and she still didn't want to do it. I pressed the matter because I was frustrated that we had gone there instead of zipping over to a ride (this was close to rope drop). She asked if it was someone with a name badge. I'm like "Yes, the lady behind the glass right over there, told us to come here to start our card this morning.". She disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a RT filled out. I know people are reporting that they easily got RT there but it was not easy in our case and I don't think we would have gotten a time if it wasn't a blank pass.

So the rest of the day - no problems at all. I LOVED LOVED LOVED having a CM at each attraction to give us the RT. I really felt that I missed a lot of the family time in Disneyland because I was the runner and had to keep running back and forth to the kiosks. I admit I missed the ability to get a RT from a ride across the park, but I wouldn't give up the WDW system for that perk. It would be perfect if they came up with a hybrid or put a lot more kiosks in DL.

We got wheelchair return times for the following rides: Peter Pan, Small World, Jungle Cruise. We were able to pair up Fast Pass Plus, Fast Pass and the DAS times very well and we got to accomplish a lot in our short time there. I can't imagine how it's going to be with out the regular fast passes, but we shall see. I highly recommend the FP+ reserved area for the parades and fireworks if you or your kiddo has issues with people in their space. Both times we were in a huge open area and it was wonderful!

So in the end, two thumbs up for the DAS system at WDW with FP and FP+. I felt like the one park day there was more magical than the four days with did at Disneyland because I didn't have to worry about trekking back and forth after each ride. I loved sticking together and enjoying each other in Disney. Cheesy... maybe... but it is the mouse's house! ;)

That's interesting, we are locals to Disneyland and don't have the back and forth issue. We plan our FPs and ride order based on where the kiosks are and current line length. For example, let's say we want to ride Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Let's say that Jungle Cruise has a 10 minute wait and Haunted Mansion has a 15 minute wait. We would get a return time for Pirates, get a FP for Indiana Jones, ride Jungle Cruise, ride Indiana Jones (if it's not time yet, go to the Tiki Room), then go to Pirates, then get a return time for the next set of rides at the Haunted Mansion exit, then ride Haunted Mansion. So on and so forth.

This doesn't account for if we are with a wheelchair party that can get wheelchair return times either. That makes the process even easier.

It all boils down to planning and planning in a different way than others do.

We are back from a short visit to Magic Kingdom and you may remember my postings from our fall break trip to Disneyland. So I have been through both scenarios and lived to tell the story.

I got the DAS for my son at guest relations at WDW outside the gate the day before we went into the park. She did hesitate to give it to me which shocked the heck out of me. We have a stroller and she said that he could stay in there for the lines. I had to again request the DAS pass telling her that the stroller doesn't solve all the issues I provided. I didn't walk away feeling the best about how that all went down, but she did give us a pass and so it was fine.

The other issue we had was with getting the first return time. When we got the pass, the CM asked what we wanted to ride first. I told her we were just planning ahead for tomorrow and she told us to stop in to guest relations inside the park on our way in to get our first return time to start the card. Well that's what we did... waited in the line... finally got to the front... and that cast member told us that you can only get the times at the rides. I explained that we were told to do this and she still didn't want to do it. I pressed the matter because I was frustrated that we had gone there instead of zipping over to a ride (this was close to rope drop). She asked if it was someone with a name badge. I'm like "Yes, the lady behind the glass right over there, told us to come here to start our card this morning.". She disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a RT filled out. I know people are reporting that they easily got RT there but it was not easy in our case and I don't think we would have gotten a time if it wasn't a blank pass.

So the rest of the day - no problems at all. I LOVED LOVED LOVED having a CM at each attraction to give us the RT. I really felt that I missed a lot of the family time in Disneyland because I was the runner and had to keep running back and forth to the kiosks. I admit I missed the ability to get a RT from a ride across the park, but I wouldn't give up the WDW system for that perk. It would be perfect if they came up with a hybrid or put a lot more kiosks in DL.

We got wheelchair return times for the following rides: Peter Pan, Small World, Jungle Cruise. We were able to pair up Fast Pass Plus, Fast Pass and the DAS times very well and we got to accomplish a lot in our short time there. I can't imagine how it's going to be with out the regular fast passes, but we shall see. I highly recommend the FP+ reserved area for the parades and fireworks if you or your kiddo has issues with people in their space. Both times we were in a huge open area and it was wonderful!

So in the end, two thumbs up for the DAS system at WDW with FP and FP+. I felt like the one park day there was more magical than the four days with did at Disneyland because I didn't have to worry about trekking back and forth after each ride. I loved sticking together and enjoying each other in Disney. Cheesy... maybe... but it is the mouse's house! ;)

I'm glad it went better for you at WDW!

If you were able to get a return time for any ride at any ride, do you think that would make it even easier? Say for example you are coming out of Haunted Mansion, but you want to get a return time for Space Mountain...do you think it would more helpful if you could obtain that SM return time at HM?

That's interesting, we are locals to Disneyland and don't have the back and forth issue. We plan our FPs and ride order based on where the kiosks are and current line length. For example, let's say we want to ride Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Let's say that Jungle Cruise has a 10 minute wait and Haunted Mansion has a 15 minute wait. We would get a return time for Pirates, get a FP for Indiana Jones, ride Jungle Cruise, ride Indiana Jones (if it's not time yet, go to the Tiki Room), then go to Pirates, then get a return time for the next set of rides at the Haunted Mansion exit, then ride Haunted Mansion. So on and so forth.

This doesn't account for if we are with a wheelchair party that can get wheelchair return times either. That makes the process even easier.

It all boils down to planning and planning in a different way than others do.

I think I'd be like you if I were a local too. We just didn't know the park well enough to plan like that. That's a big difference between being a passholder and a vacationer. I have been to WDW enough times to know it well so that's a good point - maybe that has something to do with it going smoother for us.

And there were no 10-15 minute waits the week we were there - that would have been nice!

***Edited because I remembered something. I think you are the person who posted that tour plan for Disneyland. I would have LOVED having that for a trip. I hope other "vacationers" see it and take it with them!

I'm glad it went better for you at WDW!

If you were able to get a return time for any ride at any ride, do you think that would make it even easier? Say for example you are coming out of Haunted Mansion, but you want to get a return time for Space Mountain...do you think it would more helpful if you could obtain that SM return time at HM?

That would have been really nice! It would be the best of both worlds! The CM at WDW don't have access to other ride wait times though. They just glance at the sign that states the current wait time for their ride.

That would have been really nice! It would be the best of both worlds! The CM at WDW don't have access to other ride wait times though. They just glance at the sign that states the current wait time for their ride.

I thought they were going to check wait times using iPads and the Disney Experience app?

Did you have your DLR DAS with you when you went to Guest Relations at MK? Curious because we have a DLR one and was wondering if bringing it with us would make the process easier when we visit WDW in March.

I thought they were going to check wait times using iPads and the Disney Experience app?

My experience was that the CM looked at the posted ride times on the entrance of the ride at Disneyworld. They did not have a tablet or anything on them.

Did you have your DLR DAS with you when you went to Guest Relations at MK? Curious because we have a DLR one and was wondering if bringing it with us would make the process easier when we visit WDW in March.

Sorry I am seeing these replies late. We did not have our DLR pass. I hope your trip was smooth!

I did, and it made our issuance of a DAS in WDW super smooth and easy. They just took a new picture and issued the new one.

Also, I have posted about this before but I find the system in DLR was much easier for me and mine. I am hopeful that eventually, maybe the FP+ kiosks will turn into Guest Relation kiosks which will make a hybrid possible. I emailed WDW about the DAS when I got back from my trip in early March, and other than the automated response, I have not heard back from them. Guess I need to follow up :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter