• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS and Shows at animal kingdom

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
we're in the middle of picking FP+ for DD's upcoming trip to WDW.

Our problem is not knowing what the DAS is good or not good for.

Specifically, can you use the DAS at Festival of the Lion King (if you're NOT in a wheelchair or other mobility device).

Can you use the DAS at Finding Nemo, the Musical (also at AK)

thanks!

At WDW, you can use DAS for any attractions that use Fastpass.
It works a little different at shows than at rides.
For rides, someone in your party goes to the ride entrance to get a DAS Return Time assigned. That time will be 10-15 shorter than the current wait time and, once it has arrived, you can go in, using the Fastpass line.

For shows, someone in your group still goes to the show entrance to get a DAS Return Time, but in our experience, they will ask you what show time you want to view and assign your DAS Return Time based on that. When you return for the show, you will enter thru the Fastpass line.

If the show has a short wait of 15 minutes or less, they will probably tell you to enter for the next show

At WDW, you can use DAS for any attractions that use Fastpass.
It works a little different at shows than at rides.
For rides, someone in your party goes to the ride entrance to get a DAS Return Time assigned. That time will be 10-15 shorter than the current wait time and, once it has arrived, you can go in, using the Fastpass line.

For shows, someone in your group still goes to the show entrance to get a DAS Return Time, but in our experience, they will ask you what show time you want to view and assign your DAS Return Time based on that. When you return for the show, you will enter thru the Fastpass line.

If the show has a short wait of 15 minutes or less, they will probably tell you to enter for the next show

thanks!
it's confusing trying to figure things out.
The problem is trying to avoid any back and forth movement to get the DAS times. DD can make the run, but i don't think she'll want to go by herself. So we're trying to organize things so they stay in one area and complete it before moving on to the next area. And somehow combining FP+ and the DAS. It's confusing to figure it out.

Hopefully, they'll be able to walk into the first lion king show (they don't have a problem with sitting anywhere)....oh wait...they've moved it.

i have to go look at the map to see where the new theater is. (slapping my forehead big time)...

So i guess the DAS works the same for Nemo.
Probably it makes sense for her to stop there on the way to dinosaur. She took a FP for dinosaur, since her husband can't ride it (too painful for him). So she can't use the DAS for that one, since he can't ride it.
So she took a FP. So on the way there, maybe she can get the DAS time for the Nemo show. Could be. That might work.

The new theater for Festival of the Lion King is just past the bridge going from the Oasis area into Africa. It's on the left side before Tusker House.

I can't tell how many people are in your party, but I do want to mention that anyone in the party can take the DAS to get a return time. Once the DAS is obtained, the person the card is assigned to only has to be there when you return to enter the attraction.

The new theater for Festival of the Lion King is just past the bridge going from the Oasis area into Africa. It's on the left side before Tusker House.

oh that's great! so they can come right out of the safari and go there...
good...the less walking around back and forth they do the better..

I can't tell how many people are in your party, but I do want to mention that anyone in the party can take the DAS to get a return time. Once the DAS is obtained, the person the card is assigned to only has to be there when you return to enter the attraction.

it's just the two of them...DD and her husband (the DAS person)....i don't think she wants to run around...besides which he can't do anything for long...not walk, not stand, not sit....so it's not as if he could sit somewhere and wait for her....he just has a limited time that he can be in the parks before he has to go back and lie down (due to excruciating pain - he broke his back a few years ago when he fell from a 50 foot cliff)...so if she were to run around, that would be wasting that time..

we did all their FP+ today (for all 14 days they're there)...
we found it very challenging to figure out the strategy that would be best for them.....plus not knowing how long he'd be able to hold out before going back to the resort...
that's part of the reason she didn't make any ADRs - there's just no way she can know in advance if he'll be able to make it to the ADR and now with the credit card guarantee, she doesnt' want to end up having to pay a penalty...

so they're going to try doing walk ups....(they have free dining, so they have to do at least some of their meals in TS restaurants)....
hopefully, they'll be able to do walk ups....otherwise, maybe they'll eat their TS meals in DTD and their resort.....but she doesn't want to make any ADRs due to the possibility that they won't make it there because of him..

Please make sure your DD or her DH is ready to articulate non-mobility reasons why he can't wait in the actual lines. Otherwise, the response at GS will most likely be that he needs to use a wheelchair or ECV. If mobility/stamina is his only disability, it may be very difficult for him to obtain a DAS.

It's very confusing trying to plan out FP+ and the das. I am a huge planner so I tried to plan which rides was FP+ and which rides were DAS. It's much easier when u are in the park and doing it hands on. Just pick your must do fast passes. Like the rides that usually have a long wait on them and use the DAS for the moderate rates. It seemed to work well for us. We got to do everything we wanted and then some.

Please make sure your DD or her DH is ready to articulate non-mobility reasons why he can't wait in the actual lines. Otherwise, the response at GS will most likely be that he needs to use a wheelchair or ECV. If mobility/stamina is his only disability, it may be very difficult for him to obtain a DAS.
Yes I'm worried they're going to have a problem
They've always been able to get a GAC but I know the DAS is different
His issue is not mobility but rather pain
He cannot sit, stand or walk for long
His only good position is flat on his back on his special bed
He carries a special portable version of his special bed when he travels (which he has to take on board the plane - another challenge each time he travels)
Anyway DD knows it might be a problem
She'll bring the last GAC they had (from last August) though I don't know if that will be any help
They'll just have to deal with it whatever happens
He's visibly injured but I know the whole mobility thing is an issue
I hope they'll be fine whatever happens
This isn't their first time there
She knows they can end up being room bound for hours or even days.
And it's much more likely without the DAS
Hopefully that won't happen

It's very confusing trying to plan out FP+ and the das. I am a huge planner so I tried to plan which rides was FP+ and which rides were DAS. It's much easier when u are in the park and doing it hands on. Just pick your must do fast passes. Like the rides that usually have a long wait on them and use the DAS for the moderate rates. It seemed to work well for us. We got to do everything we wanted and then some.

She picked her must dos and we tried to arrange the times logically
The timing was the biggest challenge

My understanding from what you're saying is that the problem is staying in one position for an extended period of time so needs to be able to alternate sitting/standing/walking/other positions.

If they really can't get a DAS, he might want to consider either a manual wheelchair or rollator (rolling walker with a seat). They'd give him the option of walking (and pushing chair or walker) or sitting depending on how he's doing. I'm not recommending an ECV just because there isn't an easy way to keep it with you when not actually using it (although I suppose your DD could drive at thost points). A manual wheelchair can be rented at the parks, but rollators can only either be rented offsite or bought (you can actually even find them to buy at places like Costco and Rite Aid). I'm not saying he won't get a DAS, but I wanted to give these suggestions in case he can't get one. Even with a DAS he could end up waiting 15 minutes (or occasionally more) when returning since when returning he'll be sent into the FP+ line. If that's going to be too long for him to stand, then something like a wheelchair or walker may be more useful than the DAS because it gives him a way to change position while in line.

Good luck! I deal with severe chronic pain that, like your DD's DH, is worse when I stay in one position too long. I also can't walk much so I have to use a wheelchair anyway, but even when using my powerchair (which allows me to recline and tilt to help with the changing position issue) I will sometimes get out and walk a little bit to prevent or reduce pain. I'm going to do what I need to when it comes to being as comfortable while leading as close to the life I want as possible.

My understanding from what you're saying is that the problem is staying in one position for an extended period of time so needs to be able to alternate sitting/standing/walking/other positions.

If they really can't get a DAS, he might want to consider either a manual wheelchair or rollator (rolling walker with a seat). They'd give him the option of walking (and pushing chair or walker) or sitting depending on how he's doing. I'm not recommending an ECV just because there isn't an easy way to keep it with you when not actually using it (although I suppose your DD could drive at thost points). A manual wheelchair can be rented at the parks, but rollators can only either be rented offsite or bought (you can actually even find them to buy at places like Costco and Rite Aid). I'm not saying he won't get a DAS, but I wanted to give these suggestions in case he can't get one. Even with a DAS he could end up waiting 15 minutes (or occasionally more) when returning since when returning he'll be sent into the FP+ line. If that's going to be too long for him to stand, then something like a wheelchair or walker may be more useful than the DAS because it gives him a way to change position while in line.

Good luck! I deal with severe chronic pain that, like your DD's DH, is worse when I stay in one position too long. I also can't walk much so I have to use a wheelchair anyway, but even when using my powerchair (which allows me to recline and tilt to help with the changing position issue) I will sometimes get out and walk a little bit to prevent or reduce pain. I'm going to do what I need to when it comes to being as comfortable while leading as close to the life I want as possible.

sitting is actually the worst position for him.
Although all positions are bad, other than flat on his back on his special bed.

so what would they be explaining to the CM in order to get a DAS? They DAS won't get him into lines faster, it just allows him to go to a place other than the queue to wait. From what you are describing he is unable to wait anywhere except lying on his back in a special bed. If the bed is portable maybe they could go and find a place where he can use the bed while they wait for their return time. That would be what they have to explain.

I'm not sure but as soon as you tell the CM he needs to get into and out of the attractions as quickly as possible, they are going to let you know that a DAS probably won't help with that.

I'm onsite right now, during free dining. Don't expect to be able to do any walk up for TS meals, even at the hotels. Many people are being turned away.

I'm onsite right now, during free dining. Don't expect to be able to do any walk up for TS meals, even at the hotels. Many people are being turned away.
Even just two people?
At boatwrights?
Or DTD?
It doesn't matter as there are no ADRs available at the parks anyway
So if there are no walk ups I guess they're going to have a problem
I hope it works out
In any case when she made the reservations there already weren't any ADRs left in the parks so hopefully they hold some space back for walk ups

Even just two people? At boatwrights? Or DTD? It doesn't matter as there are no ADRs available at the parks anyway So if there are no walk ups I guess they're going to have a problem I hope it works out In any case when she made the reservations there already weren't any ADRs left in the parks so hopefully they hold some space back for walk ups

Boatwrights is incredibly popular.

When free dining is in play, walk ups are nearly impossible at most restaurants, or subject to an hours long wait. I'll give you an example - we had a reservation at 'Ohana last year during free dining, for 5:05pm. We got to the Poly early and my DH got in line to check in around 4:45 along with many other guests. There were two lines at the podium - one probably had 30 or so people in it, including my husband. The other wrapped around the upstairs of the poly. The shorter line was people who had ADRs checking in, the other was walk ups asking for a table. Because they walked by me I heard one of the parties who were in the wall up line discussing that they were told that 'Ohana might be able to seat them at the end of service, at 9:30, but that it was not guaranteed.

Outside of free dining, you can walk up to some of the less popular places and wait it out but with free dining, most people make TS reservations which really eats up that availability. The less popular restaurants at some resorts (shutters at Caribbean beach, maya grill at Coronado are the only two I can think of that I remember seeing have availability during fd while we stayed at those resorts) might have some availability. I think in-room pizza delivery also course as a table service but I'm not sure about that. But that could also be an option.

Again, in the parks, I have seen people being turned away without ADRs. I ate in the hotel restaurant last night, got a last minute ADR, but probably could have walked up.

so what would they be explaining to the CM in order to get a DAS? They DAS won't get him into lines faster, it just allows him to go to a place other than the queue to wait. From what you are describing he is unable to wait anywhere except lying on his back in a special bed. If the bed is portable maybe they could go and find a place where he can use the bed while they wait for their return time. That would be what they have to explain.

I'm not sure but as soon as you tell the CM he needs to get into and out of the attractions as quickly as possible, they are going to let you know that a DAS probably won't help with that.

my understanding of the DAS is you go to an attraction and they give you a return time which is equal to the standby time.
When you come back at the return time you get into the fastpass line.
So that's exactly the point. You don't have to stand in line but can do something else while you wait.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference.

He can only be in the park for a limited time - his back can't take it.

And i understand that you can't possibly comprehend what i mean by the kind of pain he has.
He broke his back. broke it. His spine was rebuilt with metal and pins. (as was his skull)
It is a miracle he is alive and even more of a miracle that he can walk.
(he was in surgery for over 20 hours, then was in the hospital for over a year in a full body cast, followed by a rehabilitation hospital where he underwent intensive rehabilitation).
But though he is a miracle, his pain is chronic and can be excruciating.

By allowing him to do something else and then come back enables them to accomplish a bit more in the shortened time that he can be in the parks.

if you're asking whether the CMs will believe them?
They do have the letter from the surgeon that the CMs aren't permitted to read.
But he's quite visibly injured. I assume this was why they gave us the GAC the first time we brought him to WDW with us 4 years ago and the 2 times since.
There really isn't much question when you look at him that there must be a serious problem.

Boatwrights is incredibly popular.

When free dining is in play, walk ups are nearly impossible at most restaurants, or subject to an hours long wait. I'll give you an example - we had a reservation at 'Ohana last year during free dining, for 5:05pm. We got to the Poly early and my DH got in line to check in around 4:45 along with many other guests. There were two lines at the podium - one probably had 30 or so people in it, including my husband. The other wrapped around the upstairs of the poly. The shorter line was people who had ADRs checking in, the other was walk ups asking for a table. Because they walked by me I heard one of the parties who were in the wall up line discussing that they were told that 'Ohana might be able to seat them at the end of service, at 9:30, but that it was not guaranteed.

Outside of free dining, you can walk up to some of the less popular places and wait it out but with free dining, most people make TS reservations which really eats up that availability. The less popular restaurants at some resorts (shutters at Caribbean beach, maya grill at Coronado are the only two I can think of that I remember seeing have availability during fd while we stayed at those resorts) might have some availability. I think in-room pizza delivery also course as a table service but I'm not sure about that. But that could also be an option.

Ohana's is a very popular restaurant, i'm not sure if that's the best example. But whatever happens happens.
DD said she cannot be under pressure regarding cancellation fees due to missed ADRs.
She said she has no idea of when her husband will have to leave the park.
And when he has to leave he has to leave this instant. It can't be after lunch.
She just doesn't want to deal with the pressure of cancellation fees on her vacation.
She's willing to take the risk. It will certainly be more difficult at some parks than others. She's hoping Epcot and DTD will be a bit easier.
And she's hoping for the little 2 person tables at the back of sci fi (that they don't put ADR people at anyway - hopefully they're still there).
But she'll make do with whatever there is.
It won't be the end of the world.
And maybe they'll end up really liking a place that they never would have tried if not for this. :)

Again, in the parks, I have seen people being turned away without ADRs. I ate in the hotel restaurant last night, got a last minute ADR, but probably could have walked up.

we've been there during free dining before and i've seen people turned away, and then a minute later, another walk up group accepted.

In fact, it's happened to me on more than one occasion (at Boma, teppan edo, Tokyo Dining, rose & crown, to name the ones that come to mind)
For example, we tried to get into boma and they said absolutely not. No chance unless we were willing to wait until almost 3 hours later. So we said, no thanks.
We were about to leave AKL and then we said, oh lets go ask again. It was about 10 minutes later. I asked again and they said sure. And they took us right in. So you never know.
Anyway, it's her decision. One she's more comfortable with.
in any case, there are no ADRs to be had anymore. By the time we made the resort reservations (at about 75 days), all the ADRs she might have wanted, were gone. So really the issue is moot.

just to update -
DD and her husband are at WDW now.
She did get a DAS card, so that's good news. (she said it was relatively easy to get, but she had with her his old GAC card with the alternate line stamp on it - so that might have simplified the process,....she said that she did have to completely explain the situation though)...

I'll update when she gets back with her experiences using the DAS.

As for the flights with the oversize medical bag.
No problem at all on the first flight.
It was questioned, but when they said what it was there was no problem and they brought it right up on the plane and put it in the overhead.

On the second flight, the ground agent was apparently channeling atila the hun and wouldn't let them bring it on no matter what.
They were lucky that one of the flight attendants happened to walk past as the discussion was going on and he said, "let her bring it on board. If you get in trouble, send them to me".

So she brought it on and put it in the overhead (where it fits with no problem -it's longer than allowed, but the circumference is very small).

there was some other pixie dust along the way, but it's slipped my mind. :)

I am so glad you updated us! I hope they are having a wonderful time. Also, have her keep in mind, under extreme circumstances when the DAS isn't enough, guest relations might be able to provide more help. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but it's there just in case. I really hope they are having a wonderful vacation! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter