Dandruff trouble

AintGonaGrowUp

"We've got no troubles, Life is the bubbles!"
Ok, this is kinda gross, but I was hoping some one here might have an idea.... I have terrible dandruff (last few months) that I can get rid of!! I have tried many "anti-dandruff" shampoos with no luck! I try looking stuff un on the Internet, some say in too dry, others say I'm too oiley. I'm washing too much, or not enough! Does anyone have any tricks that have worked! Thanks

Ok, this is kinda gross, but I was hoping some one here might have an idea.... I have terrible dandruff (last few months) that I can get rid of!! I have tried many "anti-dandruff" shampoos with no luck! I try looking stuff un on the Internet, some say in too dry, others say I'm too oiley. I'm washing too much, or not enough! Does anyone have any tricks that have worked! Thanks

How often ARE you washing? I think most people wash their hair too often.

I have a weird form of dandruff that is in the crevices of my nose. I get dry flaky skin and it itches really bad on my nose. I went to the dermatologist who told me it's basically dandruff treated like you would scalp dandruff. She told me to buy Nizoral and use twice a week. You can find it at Target or Amazon. It's an anti-dandruff shampoo completely different formula than the other over the counter stuff. I also have drops to put on my scalp as needed but that was a prescription.

Good luck but if you can't find a solution, a dermatologist should be able to help.

My kids have dry scalp and they use tea tree oil shampoo. It seems to help.

I second the Nizoral recommendation. It's available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

It's also supposed to help with hair loss from an imbalance...which is why I started using it.

If you've tried several OTC remedies and your dandruff is still "terrible", then you need to see a dermatologist. There are several skin disorders which can cause flakiness. You may need a prescription to treat the dandruff.

I have had some stuff in my scalp that has waxed and waned for many years, so I didn't realize what it was for a long time. I thought I just wasn't washing the product out of my hair well. But even when I completely stopped using product, I still had these small scaly areas in my scalp. It wasn't until I was at the dermatologist for something else that I thought to have her look at my head. Whaddaya know, it's psoriasis. Once I got that treated properly, the reddened, scaly, bleedy areas have almost cleared up and my dandruff is gone. Who knew?

I have battled with this problem with my daughter for yrs, we finally found something that actually works and works great. Coconut Oil, just plain old Coconut Oil

this is the one we use. i know it would be a different brand in the US.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au...ckcode=721375&name=spiral-organic-coconut-oil

Once a week, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a cup, either in the microwave or on the stove, don't let it boil, just let it warm and melt.

Once melted, sit who ever needs it on the edge of bath, with a towel over shoulders, drizzle melted coconut oil onto scalp in small areas, massage as you go, when all the scalp is covered with the oil, massage for about 3-4 minutes.

If you want you can do more coconut oil so it covers all the hair as well as the scalp, as it is a great conditioner for hair

Leave this on for an hour, hair will go crispy, but it is fine. Wash of under warm water, it may take two goes with the shampoo.

We do this once a week, by the end of the second week, dandruff was GONE!!! we have found she can go no longer than 2 weeks without doing this treatment, as the dry scalp comes back, but once a week we do the hair treatment and her hair is shiny, growing really well, feels thicker and her scalp is DANDRUFF FREE for the first time in her life, have been doing this for 4 mths now.

give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

I like the "clear" shampoo for maintenance and the tar shampoo for when it gets bad (you can use the strongest t gel or can find others online). Head & shoulders does not work for me. My condition is more in the psoriasis category and mine is worsened by stress. If you can't clear it up by OTC or natural therapies, go see a dermatologist. Good luck!

OK, you probably have what is called "scaling dandruff" or "Scalp Psoriasis".

My dd struggles with this.

Now she did go to the dermatologist and get some prescription shampoo initially because hers was so bad to the point that her scalp was painful. Don't let yourself get to that point. ;)

She uses T Sal, instead of the T Gel for her shampoo.
http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-sal-+therapeutic+shampoo+-+scalp+build-up+control.do

Basically you have a build up of "dead scalp tissue" on your head and you have to get if off.

My husband and dd both have a problem with dandruff on there scalp and also anywhere that they have hair on there face- eyebrows for dd and moustache,eyebrows and sideburns for husband.They use either neutragena t-sal(not the stinky t-gel) or the clinacial strength Head and shoulders that comes in a dark blue bottle.My husband switches off to nizerol.The t-sal is safe for everyday and the others they use every other or every 3 days. My daughter gets raw itchy patches on her hairline sometimes also so she has a prescription cortasteriod cream too. there problem is they are too oily and that is why they get it.My husbands got much worse after he started working out daily and my dd got worse once she started getting her period. Go to the dermatologist it was a very easy apt and they were clearing up within 2 days.Good Luck!:)

Washing aside, brush your hair/scalp several times a day with a good bristle brush. It will scrap some of the dead skin, dry dirt/oil, etc. away so they wash away easily and your hair won't get so dried out with washing.

We thought my daughter was having dandruff problems, but the hair dresser said it was actually build up if product. She suggested a paste of baking soda and water. Leave it in, scrub, rinse. Worked like a charm. You can find info easy by googling.

My daughter is very dandruff-prone. We tried Head & Shoulders, Selson Blue, etc., and nothing got rid of it. We have recently started switching over to more natural products, and have seen a huge difference. She now uses Ava Anderson shampoo & conditioner (sold through home parties / reps) and as soon as she switched there was a big improvement. She occasionally gets a few flakes still, but nothing like before. And we just bought some of the Ava baby shampoo to try - my cousin's wife, who we buy it through, said it worked wonders for her son, who still had something like cradle cap, even though he is 5 or 6.

I really think that all of the chemicals in the other shampoos just aggravated her scalp further.

Have you tried T-Gel?

I've used that, and boy does it stink (smell wise). My dermatologist told me to use it for my psoriasis (was just diagnosed this year with it). My hair needs to be washed everyday, so he had me wash one day with Neutrogena T-Gel and the other day with Neutrogena T-Sal. Both smell horrible :crazy2:. After awhile, I couldn't take the smell any more and stopped using it.

I switched over to using Head & Shoulders everyday. After awhile, it cleared up and I was able to go back to using my regular shampoo. I haven't had an outbreak in a few months and boy does it feel good to not have a "snow shower" of flakes on my clothes.

OP, you may have to have a trial and error to see which product works for you. But you may have to go to a dermatologist first to find out if it is actually dandruff. I thought that's what I had at first, but after going to a dermatologist, found out it was psoriasis.

Agree with previous poster, it really is trial and error to find something that works. I have terrible dandruff also, and went through every OTC product I could find. Some products eliminated the flakes but not the itch, others eliminated the itch but not the flakes. Some worked for a week and then stopped. After trying everything, I finally went to my dermatologist who gave me a Rx for dandruff shampoo. This stuff is amazing!! I wash my hair every other day, let this stuff sit in my scalp for 3-4 minutes before washing out, and it works like a charm. If nothing OTC works for you, it's time to visit the dermatologist.

I think everyone's hair is different, but this is what worked for me:

A couple of years back I suddenly got a ridculously bad case of dandruff. I have had dandruff all my life but it was always manageable. This time, it was awful with massive flakes and showers on my shoulders.

I tried dandruff shampoos, intensive conditioners, and rinsing my hair thoroughly.

In the end, at a fluke, I discovered I had to stop using conditioner. My hairstylist still thinks I'm nuts, but it works for me. I use a cheap dandruff shampoo. Then I'm done. After I get out, I use a macadamia hair oil and put a tiny bit of it through my hair for softness and shine (and protection of hairdryers/straighteners). I often skip this step if I am staying home and not going anywhere and am being lazy. I also have to wash daily now (I used to be an every other day girl). On the plus side, skipping conditioner cut a few mins out of my routine!

I have battled with this problem with my daughter for yrs, we finally found something that actually works and works great. Coconut Oil, just plain old Coconut Oil

this is the one we use. i know it would be a different brand in the US.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au...ckcode=721375&name=spiral-organic-coconut-oil

Once a week, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a cup, either in the microwave or on the stove, don't let it boil, just let it warm and melt.

Once melted, sit who ever needs it on the edge of bath, with a towel over shoulders, drizzle melted coconut oil onto scalp in small areas, massage as you go, when all the scalp is covered with the oil, massage for about 3-4 minutes.

If you want you can do more coconut oil so it covers all the hair as well as the scalp, as it is a great conditioner for hair

Leave this on for an hour, hair will go crispy, but it is fine. Wash of under warm water, it may take two goes with the shampoo.

We do this once a week, by the end of the second week, dandruff was GONE!!! we have found she can go no longer than 2 weeks without doing this treatment, as the dry scalp comes back, but once a week we do the hair treatment and her hair is shiny, growing really well, feels thicker and her scalp is DANDRUFF FREE for the first time in her life, have been doing this for 4 mths now.

give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Hmm - I love coconut oil (use it as moisturizer) but have not had as good luck with my hair. Although I've only tried it as a hair balm, not as a conditioner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter