D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on 8am reservations with EMH at DLR: After check-in they held us by the Matterhorn/Nemo until 7am. Then at 7am they opened up Fantasyland and held the queue next to Red Rose Tavern until 7:30. Then at 7:30 they walked us to the Frontierland entrance and let us into SWGE at 7:50.

Last edited:
As people go in the coming days, will you report back on photopass photographers? Are there many? How are lines? Thanks!

We saw lots and got lots of photos! There was 2 by the Falcon which you have to watch for because a guy is in the corner of our photo as he was having his photo taken at the same time as us from the other PP queue! If this matters to you I would get to this one quickly as we saw it later and there had to be a 30 min queue just for a photo. We also had photos by the X Wing, the Tie Echelon, by the droids, the landspeeder and other vehicles and the A Wing. There were some also roaming in the resistance area.

No, yesterday they were having you line up and then giving you an “appointment.” Aka a reservation. We confirmed with them: line up, get an appointment time, come back at that time. Appointments were gone early in our time slot.

Thanks for this, we need to get this right for our next reservation tomorrow as it’s our priority to get a lightsaber and droid this time. There seems to be a lot of different reports. I like the sound of this getting an appointment and coming back. We will head there straight tomorrow. The queue for this and cantina closed for us by 10:20!

Here’s my experience/impressions from the 8pm-midnight reservation.

I got to the parks around 5:30pm and walked right into launch bay for merchandise. Most of the opening day exclusive stuff was gone by that time but they still had plenty of “on planet” stuff available. Check-in was really quick, the line forms outside launch bay and they let us in about 5:45-5:50. After getting my wrist band I did quite a few attractions (Astro blasters, Star tours, thunder Mtn, pirates was a walk on, and haunted mansion) then got in line by hungry bear around 7:15-7:20 and was about halfway up the ramp that leads to the restrooms/downstairs seating. Around 7:30 they led us into the forest a but then stopped us about halfway to the resistance area. About 7:50 they lead us up to the resistance area where the X-Wing is and held us there until 8.

From there I walked purposely towards Savi’s as my one goal was to build a lightsaber. The line forms quickly but it only took about 20 mins for me to choose my style and pay. It is very important to make sure they give you a return time when handing out your card and don’t miss that time. I was told to come back at 9 and wait for my build group to be called. I ended up getting into the build room around 10pm. I will say that these lightsabers are very heavy duty and not something I would personally get for a child. They have a good amount of weight to them and the parts seem pretty high quality for “scrap metal”. The experience and quality definitely make this worth the $200 price tag. If you want one this is definitely the go sooner item as I can only see the price going up as Disney realizes what demand is like. They stopped allowing people who didn’t have an “appointment” into the area at about 8:45. Here’s a photo of my elemental hilt without the blade.
View attachment 405105

From there I ventured out into the rest of the land. Walked through droid depot and contemplated getting a droid as well but ended up putting it off for my next visit. Droid backpacks are about $50 and the personality chips are $12-15(I can’t remember exactly) there are three different chips from what I saw, resistance, first order, and scoundrel.

The line for the cantina was absolutely ridiculous, I would skip it during the reservation period as I was talking to a couple later in the night that had been and said its hard to get a table and had to get service as well. They pack it full so I imagine it’s like trader sams gets at peak times.

There was a short line to get into Dok’s Den and the store itself is very small. To me the holocrons aren’t worth the $50 price tag as they’re just plastic and without a kyber crystal you don’t get the full functionality.

I was disappointed in the one food item I had. I got the turkey jerky from ronto and it was extremely dry and hard to chew. They give 3 good size pieces but my jaw started to hurt after I had about half of the first piece due to the amount of chewing involved.

Seeing the Falcon in person was life changing, it really is the most beautiful piece of junk in the galaxy. The line was about 75 mins at the start of the reservation period and died down to about 20-30 by 10:30-11pm. Single Rider is absolutely the way to go if you don’t mind skipping the entire queue and not being able to be selected by a CM as pilot (you can still trade to it with someone in your flight crew doesn’t want pilot). With single rider you pretty much walk on until you get to the place where you’re assigned roles I don’t think I waited more than 2 minutes when the standby wait was posted as 30. For those who want to just enjoy the ride make sure you get gunner or engineer and don’t press the button to activate your console. The 8-midnight time slot is allowed to get into line until park close so there’s some advantage there for having the last time slot.

The belts themselves don’t hold lightsabers they have a belt clip accessory at Dok’s for $17. For robes I think youth sizes are $100 and adult sizes are $124. I didn’t check the price of tunics.

If you still care about getting the opening day merch and are in the parks today DCA’s stores are also stocking it. When we walked past five and dime at around 8:30 last night, there were hundreds still on the grey racks behind the counter.

Can I be really pedantic and ask if anyone can measure their lightsaber without the hilt for me?

Husband is starting to worry about getting it into our suit cases for our journey home and we don’t think British Airways will allow it as a carry on item :rotfl: I’m already having to carry on my Tiki Room umbrella as umbrellas are an acceptable carry on! :)

Thanks so much!

Can I be really pedantic and ask if anyone can measure their lightsaber without the hilt for me?

Husband is starting to worry about getting it into our suit cases for our journey home and we don’t think British Airways will allow it as a carry on item :rotfl: I’m already having to carry on my Tiki Room umbrella as umbrellas are an acceptable carry on! :)

Thanks so much!
Remember, think diagonal, and potentially 3-dimensional diagonal as a last resort option for space maximization. Otherwise, while not the most economical (especially after dropping serious credits for this experience), you could always have it shipped home from your hotel via USPS/UPS/FedEx

You don't have to have a reservation at Savi's. You get in line; when you get to the front of the line, you let the Scrapper know you have an appointment with Savi (or say you're looking for scrap metal or have scrap metal to sell....you just don't mention lightsabers because there are too many First Order guys around). Hand over the credit card, get a card with your group color. Depending on the length of time waited, you can hang out there or go grab a drink or something quick and come back. Don't miss your group call, because if you do, you will have to wait until they work you into another grouping.

You pick which pin you want (which defines which lightsaber you are building). Then there is the experience.

They have a limited number of seats (14) and a limited number of shows (they want to hit 4 an hour; right now they are struggling with 2. People are taking a very long time choosing their pieces and building them...like the person who was snapchatting every.single.piece.with.a.verbal.description.of.each...and everyone else was done building and waiting on this one guy. And they have to reset everything between shows, replace the pieces in the cases that were used, etc.) DD had at least 8 people yell at her yesterday, because the line was closed...they simply had no place to put anyone. Disney really should have built it to run 2 shows, just like the cantina should have been just a bit bigger, or maybe had a walkway along with wall for people who just wanted to come in and take photos.

Currently, the only reservation required is the one to enter BSO. DD said they may change to a virtual queue or reservation system later, but for now, it's only 'take your money as long as there's space'.
Is there an option to take your twice-trained Padawan to inquire, and then pay the credits and request a return appointment time within the reservation window (say, showing up first thing at 8 am and requesting to meet Savi with a 10ish time slot)?

Thanks so much!
The detached blade is 34.5-35 inches

Is there an option to take your twice-trained Padawan to inquire, and then pay the credits and request a return appointment time within the reservation window (say, showing up first thing at 8 am and requesting to meet Savi with a 10ish time slot)?
I don’t think you can request a specific time slot but they only allow people in line until they fill all the time slots in the reservation period. I think they were doing about 2-3 groups per hour last night

I'm hoping someone could check on some sizing for me.....my husband is a bigger guy and he wants to buy a tee shirt (hoping for an AP one). He needs a 3XL or 4XL so we are wondering if any of the shirts come in those sizes. Thanks to anyone who can help out.

OK, while many menu items are listed at Disney's website, I have checked at WDW Info, AllEars, and Disney, and NONE list the price for the kettle popcorn. Can someone please tell me how much the popcorn is, and maybe comment on the size? I'm trying to see if my party of six will need two or three servings. For comparison, at Radiator springs, we get two servings...but my popcorn lovers could easily mow through three if I bought it.

Kat Saka’s Kettle does have a menu on the app and Disney’s site which lists the Outpost Popcorn Mix as $6.49. It’s not listed there but I believe the souvenir mouse droid bucket is $19.99.
This has pictures of the bucket with the bag of popcorn which might help with you size question.
https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/photos-ms...t-kat-sakas-kettle-in-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

I'm hoping someone could check on some sizing for me.....my husband is a bigger guy and he wants to buy a tee shirt (hoping for an AP one). He needs a 3XL or 4XL so we are wondering if any of the shirts come in those sizes. Thanks to anyone who can help out.
The men’s shirts were definitely available in 3x. I think that might have been the largest though.

I don't think so. I think it's as you arrive and pay.

...They have a limited number of seats (14) and a limited number of shows (they want to hit 4 an hour; right now they are struggling with 2. People are taking a very long time choosing their pieces and building them...like the person who was snapchatting every.single.piece.with.a.verbal.description.of.each...and everyone else was done building and waiting on this one guy. And they have to reset everything between shows, replace the pieces in the cases that were used, etc.) DD had at least 8 people yell at her yesterday, because the line was closed...they simply had no place to put anyone. Disney really should have built it to run 2 shows, just like the cantina should have been just a bit bigger, or maybe had a walkway along with wall for people who just wanted to come in and take photos.
I feel very lucky (...strong with the Force) to have experienced Savi’s Workshop during a preview, when phones and cameras were prohibited. Perhaps cameras should be banned during the “build”.

I think we all know that we as fans love to try to get everything in, and we stress on these things. However, this is just a reminder to remember to have fun. We may miss things and things we want may be closed, but savor the experience. Engage the character of the place, build your lingo, and remove yourself from Earth and really just PLAY. How often as adults do we get to do that? Sure, we often live through our kids, but this is a unique opportunity to legit play a role. Be the best Gunner you can be. Ask the milk stand people if they have ever tried the [insert the name of some random alien planet] tree sap on their savory meals...whatever. Have fun! I plan on wearing my Darth Vader #1 dad shirt to woo the First Order while informing the villagers and Resistance that I was once famously a rebel spy on the Starspeeder 1000. Be sure to Ignite the Spark, and really live the dream!

I found the popcorn info in the video promoted on the side here. They look modestly sized. If the kids like it (not guaranteed, depending on the spice), I might have to get three.

The men’s shirts were definitely available in 3x. I think that might have been the largest though.
Did you notice ladies? XL or 2XL?

I haven’t had a chance to read thru all these, but I will give my tips based on visiting. We had 2 slots yesterday: 8am and 8pm. I’m currently chilling at Hungry Bear waiting for my third slot.

The 8am slot is golden! Best way to get in and have a relaxing time. By 10:45, the wait time was 5 minutes and there was a lot of free space and openness. Same thing for the last couple hours of the night. The overlap is the tricky part and hard to avoid for most people. Best thing is to have a plan of attack:

1) if you want to do a lightsaber or Oga’s, you are really going to need to pick one. The lines for both are insane and you will take up all your time.
2) set up your mobile food order early. You can do it that day, pretty much once Disneyland opens, and you don’t need to even have entered the park. Once the lunch crowd enters, the available time slots get filled up quickly. You can set up multiple mobile orders for times later in the day. If you miss that time slot then the order just expires and you don’t get charged. You can also cancel it. You just can’t modify it. Otherwise lines for Docking Bay 7 were long at meal times.
3) if you have an overlapping time and you don’t want to do Savis or Oga’s, then spend your first hour getting food. Maybe shopping. Wait to ride Smugglers until the overlap has ended. The wait time will go down significantly. The single rider line is also an excellent option; we had one 10 minute wait (during an overlap when standby was 90 min) but the other times it was a walk-on via SR. You do miss the repair Bay and Hondo animatronic with SR though, so do Standby at least once.
4) for the ride, my favorite was pilot (right side then left side). I didn’t mind engineer, though you do get thrown around a bit. Gunner was my least favorite. Again, those are my opinions. Everyone has different preferences!
5) all food I had at Docking Bay 7 was great. Batuubacha tea was gross. Blue milk was good, Green was too floral; apparently some people mixed them and said it was good, but I haven’t tried yet.
6) Droid depot was fun, and not too bad of a line. The cash registers were a bit slow, so maybe before getting in line to make your droid, pick you other merch and you can buy all at once.
7) they aren’t being crazy strict about the time limits. You won’t be allowed to ride the ride, and I didn’t try to order food or shop, but you can still walk around the land. You may even have luck picking up a mobile order (more likely Ronto or milk stand), but YMMV. They aren’t doing full sweeps of the land. But 4 hrs is a good amount of time for a particular slot.
8) Rey will wander the land, even without a character attendant. Try to see if you can see Chewie when he’s inspecting the Falcon. He may be unhappy with you!

Just try to take time to experience the land. I loved just sitting in areas and hearing and watching all the effects! I haven’t had time to experiment with the app yet.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter