D23 Expo 2011! Who's attending?

I'm sorry, and I hate to even mention this, but 8:20AM?

Given that the event was listed as opening at 10am, with special early opening at 9am for members only, any reasonable person would have thought that arriving a little while before 9am would have been fine.

However knowing Disney and the rabid fans though :) I got to the venue around around 8am and 7.50am on the first two days, and just gave up and turned up a bit before 9am on the Sunday when there was less I wanted to do.

Andre

Is it just me or is anyone else not shocked by the lines? I go to way smaller conventions(2000 people tops) and I wait about an hour before doors and presentations. Sorry but this is kind of throwing me. Someone at the last Star Wars celebration said she waited about 7 hours for the George Lucas interview(granted I highly doubt that long was necessary, but you get my point).

And yes I think the way they run the Studios presentation is just fine. It's supposed to be the big presentation, why would they separate it? I wish they would allow more seats, but separating it into 3 isn't going to make it anymore fair. The lines would probably get more chaotic that way. And getting that many people in and out to more presentations would just be crazy.

They had so much to do I couldn't even see it all in 3 days, so I think plenty was offered up.

We only went on Friday and didn't do any presentations. We arrived shortly after 12. We saw the lines for the presentations and decided since we had my DGD, we forgo any LONG waits. I went to all four shopping venues between 3 and 5, didn't have any problem walking in. However had I wanted to buy something there was a long line except for Mickey's of Glendale. My first go around, there was a line and I really didn't know what it was. My oldest DD said we had to go there, so we went back and there was a short 5 minute wait. By the time we wandered and picked out what we wanted there wasn't a line to buy either. Just luck I guess. The longest line we waited in was to see the Archive exhibit and store.

Is it just me or is anyone else not shocked by the lines? I go to way smaller conventions(2000 people tops) and I wait about an hour before doors and presentations. Sorry but this is kind of throwing me. Someone at the last Star Wars celebration said she waited about 7 hours for the George Lucas interview(granted I highly doubt that long was necessary, but you get my point).

And yes I think the way they run the Studios presentation is just fine. It's supposed to be the big presentation, why would they separate it? I wish they would allow more seats, but separating it into 3 isn't going to make it anymore fair. The lines would probably get more chaotic that way. And getting that many people in and out to more presentations would just be crazy.

They had so much to do I couldn't even see it all in 3 days, so I think plenty was offered up.

I thought it was way too long...it started on time and it was 2 1/2 hours and I tell you, I couldn't wait to leave, even though all the shows look great (but the cupcake was nice touch) I can see your point, but I would have rathered have an hour Pixar/Disney Animation in Arena..then another day Feature Film, and another day Marvel..it seems like they could load quicker and more efficiently then they do. Maybe then they could spend more time introducing each film and people could talk a bit more. I thought last Expo's Studio presentation was FAR superior to this times..much more talking time and less just trotting out stars time.

I could have sworn that there were many posts detailing the crazy lines from 2009, and that -- given it was held this time during summer break -- folks would have planned accordingly, on the cautious side.

It's not just a national event, but definitely international to some extent. Definitely worth setting the Mickey Mouse alarm clock a wee bit earlier...!!

Given that the event was listed as opening at 10am, with special early opening at 9am for members only, any reasonable person would have thought that arriving a little while before 9am would have been fine.
However knowing Disney and the rabid fans though :) I got to the venue around around 8am and 7.50am on the first two days, and just gave up and turned up a bit before 9am on the Sunday when there was less I wanted to do.

Andre

Ahhhh but this is where you made your mistake. You made the assumption that Disney fans are reasonable. :lmao: When we went to the Destination-D event a year ago seats were guaranteed, the hall opened around 8:30AM, we went down around 7:30 and there were easily 500 people in line. It's mainly the California Disney Crazies, we didn't have the same problem at the Destination-D in Florida.

It's a drag that this is the situation, but it can't be changed. We all just need to understand that and deal with it.

I could have sworn that there were many posts detailing the crazy lines from 2009, and that -- given it was held this time during summer break -- folks would have planned accordingly, on the cautious side.

It's not just a national event, but definitely international to some extent. Definitely worth setting the Mickey Mouse alarm clock a wee bit earlier...!!

It was, but at least with the Expo in 2009, if you got in line a couple hours or so early you could actually get in..this time so many were full hours and hours early. (hence the purchase of a Sorcerer ticket..knew this year would be nuts)

I thought it was way too long...it started on time and it was 2 1/2 hours and I tell you, I couldn't wait to leave, even though all the shows look great (but the cupcake was nice touch) I can see your point, but I would have rathered have an hour Pixar/Disney Animation in Arena..then another day Feature Film, and another day Marvel..it seems like they could load quicker and more efficiently then they do. Maybe then they could spend more time introducing each film and people could talk a bit more. I thought last Expo's Studio presentation was FAR superior to this times..much more talking time and less just trotting out stars time.

Some others have talked of the split, and that it was on separate days. I guess that could work. I was thinking it was all on one day and I thought that would be insane. However, this was mentioned on another thread, those who did miss the Studios presentation did get the chance to go to the 25 Years of Pixar one. I don't know, the cupcake did hit the spot though .

Wondering how "kid-friendly" the D23 Expo was? Take a look at this video through the eyes of our kid reporters.

DSC08326.jpg

DIS Unplugged: Video - A Kids' Eye View of Disney's D23 Expo

Yes this was an International Event. There were 48 States and 18 Countries represented. :tink:

It was, but at least with the Expo in 2009, if you got in line a couple hours or so early you could actually get in..this time so many were full hours and hours early. (hence the purchase of a Sorcerer ticket..knew this year would be nuts)

Based on the tweets from D23Expo, the longest waits were for Dick VanDyke (2 hours minimum), Legends of Imagineering (2.25 hours minimum) and Imagineering Guide to Creativity (2.25 hours minimum).

The Studios wait was obviously long, but complicated by the double line; one line to get in the ACC and a second to get into the actual presentation. The line for the presentation closed about 9:15, more than an hour prior to posted start time.

For the Legends Ceremony, they did not announce over the loudspeakers that the line was full until pretty close to start time (about 10:45, I think), but it was actually full before that. It also had the issue with the double line.

With stand-by, some people got in with less wait but at greater risk that the wait wouldn't pay-off.

Obviously, some waited much more than the "minimum."

-- Suzanne

I'm sorry, and I hate to even mention this, but 8:20AM? That's somewhat late to be arriving and still expecting to get in promptly. I was there at the 2009 D23 Expo and 6AM arrivals were not unusual. This time, there were a couple of hundred of hundred already in line well before 6AM.

I learned my lesson after the first day, and I did arrive at 7:15 the next day for the Studios presentation. I was glad I did because even with 3 hours of "line time," I was on the third tier of the arena.

I guess what bothered me the most was the lines for the stores. The Disney Store was so small they could only let what seemed like about 20-30 people at a time. The line to check out at the Dream Store exceeded an hour at some points.

I don't mind waiting in line to see something pretty awesome. But paying $100 for a ticket, then waiting in line up to an hour to get into a store - and then another hour to check out - felt ridiculous when all I was trying to do is basically giving them more of my money! :lmao:

Some others have talked of the split, and that it was on separate days. I guess that could work. I was thinking it was all on one day and I thought that would be insane. However, this was mentioned on another thread, those who did miss the Studios presentation did get the chance to go to the 25 Years of Pixar one. I don't know, the cupcake did hit the spot though .

it should have been split because it's 3 different fandoms. People who are interested in the Muppets aren't necessarily interested in Marvel. (and vice versa)

It would have given more people the chance to see what they wanted. I know I was only interested in the Marvel part of the studios presentation. And it would have made things easier if they didn't have the phone/camera check. I still don't see what the big deal is if people have them. The information is still going to get out, with or without pictures.

And, I still say there weren't enough presentation and presentation space. Let's put it this way, there were, I don't even know how many people, but let's just say 40k+, the arena hold 4k, and the other rooms 1k and 800 (or something around that), that's only about 6k people. That's only 15% of the people in attendance that are even able to be in a presentation room at the same time (if there were 3 things going simultaneously) So that's 34k people without things to do.

I really don't understand why they would set something up where the majority of people can't get into the presentations?!!?

I think most people feel the same way, at least everyone I've talked to, except the people here. But what else is new. Then again, I didn't talk to many people because the crowd was the most unfriendly con crowd ever. No one really talked to each other. And if you tried, people were rude and snippy.

You can say all you want about the "oh the lines will be crazy that's just how it is" but the fact that for the studios presentation, if you weren't there 3+ hours before it started, you had no chance to get in is ridiculous. yes, you'll always have the crazies who line up hours before, but not everyone can/ or even thinks to do that.

If they decide to do it again (and keep in near DLR) they either need to find a bigger convention center, or limit the tickets. Or just move it to Orlando where there's the Orlando Convention Center that's about 10 times bigger.

Hopefully this actually made sense since it's mostly just me rambling

I think most people feel the same way, at least everyone I've talked to, except the people here. But what else is new. Then again, I didn't talk to many people because the crowd was the most unfriendly con crowd ever. No one really talked to each other. And if you tried, people were rude and snippy.

I just want to say that in my opinion the crowd couldn't have been nicer. I talked to people in every line I was in; and honestly that was half of the fun I had at the expo.

I just want to say that in my opinion the crowd couldn't have been nicer. I talked to people in every line I was in; and honestly that was half of the fun I had at the expo.

I agree, we talked to people in line and people in the hall. I don't recall anyone unfriendly. Now confused staff was another issue.

I heard that at the end of the Expo they announced that the next one will be in 2013. I thought that I also saw where some people said that they specified March of 2013. Is the March part right? Did they give dates? There does not seem to be any mention of this on the D23 web site. Thanks.

I heard that at the end of the Expo they announced that the next one will be in 2013. I thought that I also saw where some people said that they specified March of 2013. Is the March part right? Did they give dates? There does not seem to be any mention of this on the D23 web site. Thanks.

In the last D23 email that had the letter from Steven Clark he mentioned there being another expo in 2013 but no specifics.

As for my experience...I had a lot of fun. Yea there were a lot of people but I figured there would be. I was bummed to miss some of the presentations that I really wanted to see but it is what it is. I was disappointed about them not having transportation to and from Grand Californian which is something they offered in 2009. I wasn't a bad walk though. I will definitely pack snacks next time cause I have no desire to wait in those huge lines for that "not so tasty" food. I will definitely attend the next expo and I will be saving up to go all out for whatever premium ticket that they offer.

And if you tried, people were rude and snippy.

I'm sorry you found it that way, I didn't encounter much of that. I actually found there was so much to do(as opposed to the people who here and Facebook who said there wasn't enough to do), I didn't really get much of a chance to talk to other attendees except in line, but when I did, we had a great time. There was the one guy in front of us in line at the Parks presentation who was more than pleased to share all the cool Haunted Mansion stuff he found with us( probably Haunted Mansion's number one fan, and he well earns that), the 3 guys in the zig-zag in front of us for the Studio presentation who we had a very nice conversation with and even bothered to wave as we passed them later at the center, the two older people behind us who didn't even know each other but decided to welcome us into their conversation( and as two metalheads, it was nice to see them talk to us without even an initial judgement).

I can see The Avengers being with the Marvel talk, but not even all the stuff in the live-action portion went together, so that doesn't really resolve that issue. I mean, the John Carter crowd would very possibly have no interest in that Timothy Green movie, and the Tim Burton group would probably be a world of their own.

Considering the space, I do think they handled this very well(yes even the crazy lines), but I do agree that a bigger venue or less tickets would help out with the presentations quite a bit. I don't feel as though this was a "huge disappointment"(posted somewhere else, not with quoted poster) though, I quite enjoyed myself. Only one minor meltdown, and that was after dealing with that one sour grape I mentioned earlier, but we let it go and just figured he was stressed or well, just rude.

Not trying to tell people their opinions are wrong, these are just my thoughts as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter