D23 Expo 2011! Who's attending?

I totally agree with nunzia - everyone should look at the detail of the guide that is now at the D23 website - there is all kinds of stuff happening on the floor - the park exhibit alone is worth hours-you get to talk to the imagineers who are working on the attractions - how awesome is that? Plus the archives exhibit - twice as big as last time!

hello justimm-which LE vinyl do you want? The D23 expo one? There are 4800 of them I think so you should be fine. For 2009 I was in line outside the center at 5 am each day (they wouldn't let us line up sooner) - I was usually about the 20th-and I got everything I wanted. Each day they release new items. Since you are D23 the dream store should open at 8 am for the members --if you have any issues send me a PM. I am a sorcerer so will be shopping on Thursday and can get one for you - we can meet up during the expo for me to give it to you.

Dumb question - where exactly is the main entrance to the Convention Center? Along Katella or another street?

And really dumb question - for this of you who got in line very early in past years ( like earlier than 7), were you able to at least sit on the ground while you were in line or did you have to stand the entire time?

I'm trying to decide if starting off the day standing in line for 2+ hours is going to be worth it if I'll be standing in line at least 3 or more hours the rest of the day as well....

Dumb question - where exactly is the main entrance to the Convention Center? Along Katella or another street?

And really dumb question - for this of you who got in line very early in past years ( like earlier than 7), were you able to at least sit on the ground while you were in line or did you have to stand the entire time?

I'm trying to decide if starting off the day standing in line for 2+ hours is going to be worth it if I'll be standing in line at least 3 or more hours the rest of the day as well....

I just answered a similar question as this for Hydroguy on the "meet" thread. I really don't see why it would be worth it to get in line so early, especially when the day is so long and jam packed. It's not like the Destination D event where everyone is going to the same room to watch the same presentation and stage. There are dozens of things to do once you're inside. Chances of what you want to do filling up in the first half an hour are slim. Even those at the end of the line should be well inside by 9:30.

The main entrance will be off of Convention center Way, but that's not where you'll find parking. The ACC faces East and the Marriott and Hilton are directly in front of the entrance. Most people who are walking come in from Katella, it's pretty easy to find the entrance. Signage was pretty good last time.

So I did some digging on the anaheim convention center website to get an idea of room capacity for the presentations.

The arena has a capacity of 7500
Stage 23 has a capacity of 1519
Stage 28 has a capacity of 814

So subtract a little bit from each for rooms for stages and such. From making my choices, I'll be spending a lot of time on the third floor in stage 23.

The arena can only fit 4,000 after they do the stage and such. They did move Stage 23 upstairs so I'm hopeful capacity has increased..I think earlier they said Stage 23 was 750 and Stage 28, 500, but if they shuffled around these will both seat more. You can see why they need other options..I don't know what they are projecting, but I'm sure it's WAAAYY over 4,000 so they have to have many many options plus exciting floor things too.

The arena can only fit 4,000 after they do the stage and such. They did move Stage 23 upstairs so I'm hopeful capacity has increased..I think earlier they said Stage 23 was 750 and Stage 28, 500, but if they shuffled around these will both seat more. You can see why they need other options..I don't know what they are projecting, but I'm sure it's WAAAYY over 4,000 so they have to have many many options plus exciting floor things too.

Yeah I figured they put a huge stage/lighting set up into the arena, I just find it odd they would nearly cut the official capacity in half. Judging from the comparison to the convention center map and the disney map though I'd say that when Stage 23 was moved upstairs Stage 28 was bumped up to a slightly larger stage.

I was just trying to get some perspective into just how small these presentations will be when the potential crowd of people trying to get in could be in the 1000s.

.. For 2009 I was in line outside the center at 5 am each day (they wouldn't let us line up sooner) - I was usually about the 20th-and I got everything I wanted. Each day they release new items. Since you are D23 the dream store should open at 8 am for the members --if you have any issues send me a PM.

I am seeing that the show floor hours listed for D23 members starts at 9am and the opening ceremony of the Dream Store each day is at 9am. Are we allowed in the building prior to that? I am guessing if the store opens at 9am for D23 members that they would let us in the buildiing earlier to get our lanyards for our credentials and line up for the store opening.

Do you also know how early we can pick up our auction tickets? On the email it says they are available near the auction preview room. Do you know if the silent auction has varying closing times for sections?

Its great that you attended in 2009 and can give others of us some insight into how all those occurs.

Thank you

Really?? Not counting all the stuff I want to do and can't I have:
Friday: History of DL Hotel, Legends, Making Little Mermaid, Parks and Resorts, (can I please run to Small World presentation and make it?), Trivia Tournament and Dick VanDyke.
Saturday: Studios, Pixar Creative team (why can't I see Once Upon a Time screening, Buena Vista St and Music of Pixar??), Legends of Imagineering, Imagineers Guide to Creativity, and auction.
Sunday : Imagineering Dream and Fantasy, Art of Brave, Radiator Springs Reality, Remaking Star Tours, and more Vintage DL & WDW.
Plus the tons of things to see and do on the floor and bummer at missing many other things I'd like, such as Pixar Shorts, Prep & Landing, etc.etc. I don't understand how someone can't find things they'd like. If none of this appeals then you really should not waste money on a ticket. If you didn't go before, you do not understand the scope of what there is to do and how interesting and exciting these presentations are. Dry they are not. I hope you will come back after the Expo and give us your impressions.

It's not that I can't find things I like, it's that not enough of it interests me. There are some things I don't care about at all like the trivia contest and anything relating to Cars (hate that movie with a fiery passion)

Plus we bought tickets months ago so I have no idea what you mean by bolded part. It's not like the schedule was out when we went. :confused3

The cons I've gone to in the past have been wayyy smaller but have at least 3-5 things to do per hour so there was plenty of choices so the lack of choices at the Expo worries me.

Does anyone have a guesstimate for how early one can and should get in line for the meet & greets when the author/artist/person is only listed to be there for an hour?

Will they have the items you can purchase for them to sign located close by
( ie right before you get to them to sign them) or do we need to search out the item elsewhere in the Center and then get in line with the hopes there will be time for them to sign ? (Bummer that we can't bring items from home or purchase ahead of time )

I might be going but I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend who is scheduled to attend.

The D23 Expo Guidebook has been released.

There's just so much to pick from and I am still "gun shy" from last Expo's lines to get into to all the big presentations. Time to map out a plan of action.:surfweb:

Enjoy plotting,
Dreams

Does anyone have a guesstimate for how early one can and should get in line for the meet & greets when the author/artist/person is only listed to be there for an hour?

Will they have the items you can purchase for them to sign located close by
( ie right before you get to them to sign them) or do we need to search out the item elsewhere in the Center and then get in line with the hopes there will be time for them to sign ? (Bummer that we can't bring items from home or purchase ahead of time )

At the last expo DH and I met Thomas Kinkade and Jim Shore. We purchased their pieces at the Dream Store shortly before getting in line each time. We got in line about 45 minutes ahead and we barely made the cut off. They had cut the line off at no more than like 100 people (just an estimate). Maybe not even that many.

At the last expo DH and I met Thomas Kinkade and Jim Shore. We purchased their pieces at the Dream Store shortly before getting in line each time. We got in line about 45 minutes ahead and we barely made the cut off. They had cut the line off at no more than like 100 people (just an estimate). Maybe not even that many.

Thank you for the information. Do you recall if they sold books of the authors in attendance at the Expo at the Dream Store, too?

It's not that I can't find things I like, it's that not enough of it interests me. There are some things I don't care about at all like the trivia contest and anything relating to Cars (hate that movie with a fiery passion)

Plus we bought tickets months ago so I have no idea what you mean by bolded part. It's not like the schedule was out when we went. :confused3

The cons I've gone to in the past have been wayyy smaller but have at least 3-5 things to do per hour so there was plenty of choices so the lack of choices at the Expo worries me.

Sorry if I can across as snippy at all, I'm just kind of amazed that anyone who enjoys Disney couldn't find a few things to do each day. There isn't that much Cars stuff that I noticed, only tie in I guess is Radiator Springs Reality, which to me is much more about DCA than Cars the movie. I have zero interest in Marvel stuff..so that frees me up for some floor time. I realize the schedule wasn't up when you bought the ticket, but what kinds of things were you expecting to see that aren't there? I really do hope you'll come back after the Expo and give us your impressions.

Thank you for the information. Do you recall if they sold books of the authros in attendance at the Expo at the Dream Store, too?

Unfortunately I don't recall. You would think so since we aren't allowed to bring in items from outside the expo. Those were the only two artists that we met. Maybe someone else who attended last time can chime in with that answer. :thumbsup2

Hi Everyone - just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you for all your help in planning!!! Just a few hours of work for me tomorrow and then I'm off to the Land for the first time - I hope to bump into some of you at the Expo!

Does the convention center have free wifi? If not, does the app require wifi while I am at the Expo?

Does the convention center have free wifi? If not, does the app require wifi while I am at the Expo?

As per the @D23Expo twitter account there is going to be wifi available for "purchase" at the convention center. Not sure of the cost but I believe it's available on the convention center website. Since d23mobile.com is an actual site it does require an internet connection to access it. Leaving in the AM! Safe travels to everyone :banana:

As per the @D23Expo twitter account there is going to be wifi available for "purchase" at the convention center. Not sure of the cost but I believe it's available on the convention center website. Since d23mobile.com is an actual site it does require an internet connection to access it. Leaving in the AM! Safe travels to everyone :banana:

Coming from overseas, I would like to use WIFI rather than roaming data ($$$).

I have been to the Anaheim Convention Center webiste and found the Smart City page. But for the life of me I cannot find any information about how to buy wifi access or what the price is.

Has anyone used it before or had more luck finding information?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter