D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
Hey all, love coming back to see whatever updates, news and discussions that everyone shares. I haven't had a chance to really get on the message board lately but I came across this article in my google alerts and wanted to quickly share. pixar soul- Disney Pixar's first black protagonist.
I'm excited for this to come out.

So just posting here as thought some folks here might be interested

Just watched Jingle Jangle on Netflix and thought it was really good. Don't see a lot of holiday movies featuring People of Color (let alone a number of them that are really good at math). Songs are enjoyable and a lot of the numbers feel really staged like a Broadway show which I love.

Worth checking out for sure

So just posting here as thought some folks here might be interested

Just watched Jingle Jangle on Netflix and thought it was really good. Don't see a lot of holiday movies featuring People of Color (let alone a number of them that are really good at math). Songs are enjoyable and a lot of the numbers feel really staged like a Broadway show which I love.

Worth checking out for sure

Yes! Just watched this as well and was pleasantly surprised. Very fun and enjoyable. My mom and I watched together (after I held the remote hostage and refused to let her watch ANOTHER Hallmark xmas movie!) so I think it's a great movie for adults as well as kids.

Hello D.O.C. members,
I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving, keeping yourselves and your families safe. As we turn our attention to closing out 2020 aka Annus horribilis and look forward to 2021. While some will make preparations to celebrate Hanukkah, Yuletide (Winter Solstice) Christmas, Kwanzaa.
I have always been curious if or how families of Color, incorporate the love of Disney in holiday traditions.

Glad to see this thread is alive and well... but disappointed that there’s no forum for DOC + allies yet.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have been following along. I am hoping that I will be welcomed here.?

For me I think the best way to start out by having open conversations just talking about who each of us are, where we come from, our culture, our heritage, our customs.. Learning about each other in safe space such as this, is how we move forward... Main stream media and the news, I really feel is the enemy, that they want to keep up the divide, that they sensationalize whatever they can to push that button, they only give you half the story, to make you react in a certain manner. Then sit in judgement of all of us... and they are truly the problem.

Just look at a playground full of kids, all colors of the rainbow they don't see color, they just see their classmate and friends to play with. It's what we do right now that shapes the future of our Country and the World... What we teach our kids and grandkids at this moment will change the face of our planet... We can all be the change, we can make it happen. We just have to stop listening to what the media and news says about us, and look up at each other and realize that we are all just people, working, raising kids and taking care of our families. Everyone just wanting a better life.

Please don't think that I am so naive to think that racism, sexism and sexist behavior, social injustice, homophobic behavior, discrimination on so many levels, and that social injustice does not exist. Nor do I think that we can wave a magic wand, to right the wrongs that have happened, all we each can do is move forward... learning as we go... so that the same mistakes are not made again...

I believe all people and creatures under God matter. No matter which God you choose to pray to, or if you choose not to.

Everyone matters.... all colors matter... God created us, we should respect his work.

For DH and I and our family... We have friends of different cultural back ground, and we are different in color, religious belief's, and in the LGBT community, I hate even having to say this, point out our difference, it just feels wrong ... when for us they are just our friends.

I really want to know about you?

I really don't know much about Kwanzaa, I am always interested in other people cultures and traditions. That why DH and I travel, becoming citizens of the world. Learning and experiencing other people cultures, traditions is how we all learn. Could someone please tell me about it, and your traditions?

As always, wishing everyone.
Peace, Love and Pixie Dust...

Hi,

For me I think the best way to start out by having open conversations just talking about who each of us are, where we come from, our culture, our heritage, our customs.. Learning about each other in safe space such as this, is how we move forward... Main stream media and the news, I really feel is the enemy, that they want to keep up the divide, that they sensationalize whatever they can to push that button, they only give you half the story, to make you react in a certain manner. Then sit in judgement of all of us... and they are truly the problem.

Just look at a playground full of kids, all colors of the rainbow they don't see color, they just see their classmate and friends to play with. It's what we do right now that shapes the future of our Country and the World... What we teach our kids and grandkids at this moment will change the face of our planet... We can all be the change, we can make it happen. We just have to stop listening to what the media and news says about us, and look up at each other and realize that we are all just people, working, raising kids and taking care of our families. Everyone just wanting a better life.

Please don't think that I am so naive to think that racism, sexism and sexist behavior, social injustice, homophobic behavior, discrimination on so many levels, and that social injustice does not exist. Nor do I think that we can wave a magic wand, to right the wrongs that have happened, all we each can do is move forward... learning as we go... so that the same mistakes are not made again...

I believe all people and creatures under God matter. No matter which God you choose to pray to, or if you choose not to.

Everyone matters.... all colors matter... God created us, we should respect his work.

For DH and I and our family... We have friends of different cultural back ground, and we are different in color, religious belief's, and in the LGBT community, I hate even having to say this, point out our difference, it just feels wrong ... when for us they are just our friends.

I really don't know much about Kwanzaa, I am always interested in other people cultures and traditions. That why DH and I travel, becoming citizens of the world. Learning and experiencing other people cultures, traditions is how we all learn. Could someone please tell me about it, and your traditions?

Your attitude reminds me so much of my Granddad who years ago when one of my cousin's (we are caucasion or white) then wife ( who was a person of color) was expecting their child and someone asked him if he was upset about having a great grandchild that did not look like him (meaning white). Granddad's answer I don't care if the kid is polka dotted as long as he or she is healthy.
For a man born in the early part of the 20th century living in a mostly white rural state his attitude on so many things was ahead of his time. Then again he had no qualms about changing diapers, washing up the dishes, or sweeping the floors when his kids were small in the late 1930s and early 1940s. His attitude was due whatever needs to be done, when it needs to be done and if necessary to whom it needs to be done. He was a man who taught his family to look at a person's heart and character before what color the person was or what tatoos or piercings the person had.
While I spent my last Christmas with my Granddad 18 years ago I often ask myself how would he respond to this person or situation and would he tell me that he was proud of how I had responded or acted in what I said or what I did in how I treated another.

Yes! Just watched this as well and was pleasantly surprised. Very fun and enjoyable. My mom and I watched together (after I held the remote hostage and refused to let her watch ANOTHER Hallmark xmas movie!) so I think it's a great movie for adults as well as kids.
Please tell me how Jingle Jangle ended! The broadcast was cutoff just as the young son was being chased on the rooftop!

I haven’t been here in forever but I just wanted to say hi and also encourage y’all to see Soul because Pixar hasn’t had a movie this good in a long time. And it is SUCH a love letter to Black American culture in so many ways. It’s definitely got some heavy metaphysical themes and is trippy in the best kind of ways...I want to compare it most to Inside Out but I think it’s a level beyond that. It’s a very creative and beautifully animated film (I have never seen hair like mine depicted so beautifully in animation!) and even though it resonated so deeply with me as a Black creative—and one from NYC no less—I feel like the themes of purpose and following your dreams are very universal.

I just felt Seen by this movie, I can’t explain it. But I really encourage everyone to watch it. Parents especially I think it will “spark” some good conversations with your kids about life.

I haven’t been here in forever but I just wanted to say hi and also encourage y’all to see Soul because Pixar hasn’t had a movie this good in a long time. And it is SUCH a love letter to Black American culture in so many ways. It’s definitely got some heavy metaphysical themes and is trippy in the best kind of ways...I want to compare it most to Inside Out but I think it’s a level beyond that. It’s a very creative and beautifully animated film (I have never seen hair like mine depicted so beautifully in animation!) and even though it resonated so deeply with me as a Black creative—and one from NYC no less—I feel like the themes of purpose and following your dreams are very universal.

I just felt Seen by this movie, I can’t explain it. But I really encourage everyone to watch it. Parents especially I think it will “spark” some good conversations with your kids about life.

Thank you for sharing

We watched it today and I loved it. As someone who deals with self worth issues it really hit me.

I was wondering how it would be received by the Black American Community as I know some concern about having the lead character change form (similar complaint seen for Princess and the Frog) so glad to see you had a positive reaction to the film overall.

I love the overall message of the film (though obviously as a white person it likely hit me only on some levels) but it literally made me cry and laugh out loud so makes it score pretty high in my mind

Thank you for sharing

We watched it today and I loved it. As someone who deals with self worth issues it really hit me.

I was wondering how it would be received by the Black American Community as I know some concern about having the lead character change form (similar complaint seen for Princess and the Frog) so glad to see you had a positive reaction to the film overall.

I love the overall message of the film (though obviously as a white person it likely hit me only on some levels) but it literally made me cry and laugh out loud so makes it score pretty high in my mind

I was very exhausted by the trailer implying this was falling into that trope tbh. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I don’t think this movie falls into it at all just for the fact that he’s not the only Black person in the movie and he’s still interacting and inhabiting these very Black spaces and the fantastical elements didn’t overwhelm it.

I also appreciated that this was a very Black movie without it hitting you over the head with it. My mom and I have had that exact same conflict, not to spoil, but a particular scene really hit hard and I started crying and I think watching it with her brought us closer in a way. I think it’s a very relatable scene to any artist but it hits that much harder that these are Black characters, and there’s this specifically Black American tension between safety/security and chasing dreams because the stakes are so much higher for us and the consequences much more severe for taking leaps of faith. And parental fears are magnified. It’s hard to explain. But it felt very connected to the culture.

I also noticed the shoutout to the Smithsonian AA museum in the credits, and the research that went into it was very apparent.

Greetings from Germany :)

I adored Jingle Jangle! The songs were great and the costuming OMG the mix of African prints with Victorian style. BEAUTIFUL!
Me too!! I was also fascinated by the mix of African prints with Victorian style. And they even incorporated African dance moves in some of the dance scenes.

I recently stumbled upon a documentary on Netflix which is called "Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey". It's about the AA puppeteer Kevin Clash and how he became a part of the Sesame Street. From a German perspective it is basically what the American Dream is about. Some of you might have seen it already since it is from 2011 but I thought I might share it here :)

Just wanted to tell you that I finally watched Soul last night. I wasn't sure I was in the right emotional space to watch it until then and this post is what made me finally do it. So thank you for sharing!

It was amazing and I loved it.

Hi there @LovesTimone,

Of course, you are welcomed. The reason for this topic/thread is to promote inclusion and diversity among Disney Fans in the Dis board community. This thread was needed to call out hidden and sometimes not so subtle negativity (systemic racism) experienced by some guests of color at Disney Parks and the diversity & inclusion gap in Disney company products and media. This is not a space to promote racism, instead, we welcome those allies who are interested in expanding their awareness of the Black, Brown, Latin, Asian, Pacific Islander Disney experience.

Hi,

Hi,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter