D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
This has nothing to do with race, but it's another example of how words matter.

We belong to a Facebook bourbon drinkers group. Yesterday, someone posted a picture of their somewhat large drink and said it was a "man size pour". I thought absolutely nothing of it, but last night, my wife asked if I had seen the post. I said I had and she said he got a couple of negative comments from women in our group. When I read it, the fact that it could be seen as dismissive of women never crossed my mind, but now that she pointed it out to me, I totally get it. We have lots of women in the group, my wife included, and plenty of them drink every bit as much or more than the men, so what does "man size pour" mean anyway? It's like the Hungry Man TV dinners. There's just no reason to use terminology like that anymore.
Remember when Bic marketed the “Bic for Her” pen?

I’d like to think I’m not so attached to any particular phrase that it would bother me to stop using it once I realize it’s offensive. I can definitely see resistance from lawyers in getting rid of phrases like “grandfathered,” just because they’re used to it and resist change. I’ve practiced in Pennsylvania for over 20 years and getting some lawyers to even use email is a huge undertaking. I work for one of our state’s appellate courts and I can’t imagine the headaches our IT department went through when we shut down the physical sites in March because of Covid. People don’t like change unless they see a tangible benefit for themselves. Extending empathy or compassion to others sadly just isn’t sufficient. The hue and cry over Splash Mountain is a perfect example.

Hi friends. I've been angry and sad this week. All of the events that have transpired in Kenosha weigh heavy on me. I even had a family member try to literally "shame" me on social media for supporting BLM. She claims that BLM's sole purpose is to incite violence and rioting. She's clearly unhinged. But it adds to the anger and feelings of helplessness.

But then I see the NBA and WNBA's act of solidarity and to that I say BRAVO.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Hi friends. I've been angry and sad this week. All of the events that have transpired in Kenosha weigh heavy on me. I even had a family member try to literally "shame" me on social media for supporting BLM. She claims that BLM's sole purpose is to incite violence and rioting. She's clearly unhinged. But it adds to the anger and feelings of helplessness.

Hello @sara_s
Sorry to share another week of feeling sad, confused. As a multi-ethnic Brown/Black Disney fan, I am not shocked there are people who still are “upset” by the phrase “Black Lives Matter.”

I think it would be fascinating to If a Disney Attraction Based on Disney/ Pixar’s “Inside Out” were a reality. In this version random guests would be invited from the audience, to sit in a sheath that will analyze “brain waves.” Their most private thoughts would not be revealed, everyone can relax. Your favorite Disney Princess will not be shared with the audience, to avoid awkward silence on the way back to Ticket Transportation Center (TTC).
The name of this new attraction? Introducing “Mixed Emotions - the attraction that reveals how you really feel about D.O.C.’s and their Allies.” :rotfl2:

Welcome to the newest Disney attraction “Mixed emotions”

I would love to see what goes on in Aunt Bee’s (Beatrice) brain when she hears the phrase “Black Lives Matter”? Does she hear Magic Kingdom loving families who might be White, would suddenly treated with less respect they are currently used to? Are White families immediately filled with a fear that only Black/Brown/Asian/ Native American-Indigenous families will receive 3/4 of all the”Rise of the Resistance boarding passes for the day? Or do they fear one day they will wake up and experience 24 hours In the life of a Black/Brown person? They have fear because they know in their hearts the way many People of Color are treated and historically been treated unfairly.
During the summer of 1960 when a Peaceful, group of Black Students joined by their White allies, sat iat Woolworth’s luncheonette counter, waiting only to be served. These students were spat upon, called every bad word in the dictionary, ultimately violently Dragged out and arrested. These students were accused of “sole purpose is to incite violence and Disrupting the peace.

Most people of color just want to be able to walk down one end of Main Street, with our heads held high, walk into Plaza Ice cream parlor welcomed, without fear. I know every state, every city will never be “The Glad Town.”
I think we can all use a dose of “glad” by the end of this week.
I would like to offer the Disney movie “Pollyanna” for a movie watch party this week. Disney’s ”Pollyanna” is available on Disney Plus, if you are a subscriber. I will be lucky if I can hold out until Saturday, I will be watching Friday (8/29/20) evening, who will watch with me?
We can play a round or two of the “Glad Game.”
I am including a link to an article I found about Mr. Walt Disney and location shooting for the “Glad town.”

I kept my promise, I will always try to link stories, relevant issues to a Disney story, movie or park. Try to have a good week D.O.C. Family,
And yes I am looking for Black/Brown faces in the town of Harrington. :earboy2:

Wishing everyone the spirit of Peace, Love and Light. Sending thoughts of safety to those in southern USA in the storm path.
Your AKL Ranger,

FYI - the NBA players and officials just released the result of their recent discussions (which took place after cancelling a number of games)

Key items are:
1. Establish sh a Social Justice Coalition
2. Attempt to convert any league arenas to voting locations in this year's general election
3. Allocate advertisement spots for promoting civil engagement, etc

Nice to see the other sports involved as well. I am a Met fan so proud of what they did:

Side note: Dom Smith who has been the face of the team during this (very emotional in his speaking) just hit a home run to give the team the lead in their game today which is nice to see

What Black Panther meant to me

It seems the year 2020 could go down as the year “Annus Horribilis” when we reflect on the horrific, tragic losses of Black men and women along with the injuries to White allies.
The passing of actor and humanitarian Chadwick Boseman leaves a hole in the hearts of his family, friends and fans from his home town in South Carolina, USA and his fans around the world. The movie Black Panther gave me a sense of hope seeing another Black Super Hero along side “The Falcon” aka “The Black Falcon” as the title of his comic/ graphic novel. Imagine seeing an intelligent, wise, leader guiding and protecting his people with empathy and integrity. As a man of color to see the amazing acting style of Chadwick Boseman on screen and his grace off screen, priceless.
Growing up super heroes were reserved for White characters, Imagine what wonder, what spark of inspiration has been ignited in this generation of young Black, Brown boys and girls growing up with a modern super hero portrayed by Chadwick Boseman.

“Black Panther” is more than a film. It carries the hopes of the global African diaspora.

Weeks before Black Panther arrived in theaters, a number of Black celebrities bought out entire movie theaters in minority communities across the country to provide children of color in lower income areas the opportunity to see “Black Panther.” There have only been a few all Black cast films produced and released by major Hollywood studios. Looking at the span of time from the release of “Carmen Jones”, which starred the amazing Dorthy Dandrige, to “Black Panther” you could count on one hand. Dorthy Dandrige was the first woman of color nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress In 1954. To date Hallie Berry is the only woman of color to win the OSCAR for Best Actress (2001).
The character T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, is the country’s leader whose powers come from his intelligence, his ancestral knowledge, access to advanced technologies, and, of course, wealth—which all turn him into the Black Panther superhero. This level of representation carries the burden of hope and breaks the cinematic stereotypes about Africa. The film did so much to uplift and bring together many African nations.
The producers of the film included real elements of contemporary Africa, making the mythical kingdom of Wakanda feel real. The cast dressed in traditional African clothing representing a mix of different African cultures. South African audience were thrilled to hear T’Challa and his father speaking isiXhosa to each other, a complex South African language known for its melodic clicks. This, along with the several African actors in the cast, has pulled African audiences into the hype, so much so that Nigerians, Kenyans and others are planning to wear their best traditional gear to the premiere.

All of this magic materialized on screen and lead by a true leading actor. Chadwick Boseman, may you rest in peace knowing your talent, skill and grace will be missed.

Please share your thoughts on “Black Panther” and the amazing Chadwick Boseman.

Wishing everyone Peace, Love and Light,
Wakanda Forever
Your AKL Ranger

Last edited:
What Black Panther meant to me
View attachment 522461

It seems the year 2020 could go down as the year “Annus Horribilis” when we reflect on the horrific, tragic losses of Black men and women along with the injuries to White allies.
The passing of actor and humanitarian Chadwick Boseman leaves a hole in the hearts of his family, friends and fans from his home town in South Carolina, USA and his fans around the world. The movie Black Panther gave me a sense of hope seeing another Black Super Hero along side “The Falcon” aka “The Black Falcon” as the title of his comic/ graphic novel. Imagine seeing an intelligent, wise, leader guiding and protecting his people with empathy and integrity. As a man of color to see the amazing acting style of Chadwick Boseman on screen and his grace off screen, priceless.
Growing up super heroes were reserved for White characters, Imagine what wonder, what spark of inspiration has been ignited in this generation of young Black, Brown boys and girls growing up with a modern super hero portrayed by Chadwick Boseman.

“Black Panther” is more than a film. It carries the hopes of the global African diaspora.

View attachment 522462

Weeks before Black Panther arrived in theaters, a number of Black celebrities bought out entire movie theaters in minority communities across the country to provide children of color in lower income areas the opportunity to see “Black Panther.” There have only been a few all Black cast films produced and released by major Hollywood studios. Looking at the span of time from the release of “Carmen Jones”, which starred the amazing Dorthy Dandrige, to “Black Panther” you could count on one hand. Dorthy Dandrige was the first woman of color nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress In 1954. To date Hallie Berry is the only woman of color to win the OSCAR for Best Actress (2001).
The character T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, is the country’s leader whose powers come from his intelligence, his ancestral knowledge, access to advanced technologies, and, of course, wealth—which all turn him into the Black Panther superhero. This level of representation carries the burden of hope and breaks the cinematic stereotypes about Africa. The film did so much to uplift and bring together many African nations.
The producers of the film included real elements of contemporary Africa, making the mythical kingdom of Wakanda feel real. The cast dressed in traditional African clothing representing a mix of different African cultures. South African audience were thrilled to hear T’Challa and his father speaking isiXhosa to each other, a complex South African language known for its melodic clicks. This, along with the several African actors in the cast, has pulled African audiences into the hype, so much so that Nigerians, Kenyans and others are planning to wear their best traditional gear to the premiere.

All of this magic materialized on screen and lead by a true leading actor. Chadwick Boseman, may you rest in peace knowing your talent, skill and grace will be missed.

Please share your thoughts on “Black Panther” and the amazing Chadwick Boseman.

Wishing everyone Peace, Love and Light,
Wakanda Forever
Your AKL Ranger

apologies for the length, I have some thoughts I want to get out

First, rest in peace (or rest in power as I have seen on social media) to Chadwick Boseman - a life extinguished too soon and one full of the pain of Cancer for the last 4 years, though you wouldn't know it based on all the movies he filmed and the other work he did (including spending time with children with cancer, all the while dealing with his own pain). On top of everything else he also had to deal with online bullying with people saying he looked tired/didn't look as good - just another reminder that we never know what internal battles people are fighting

As to the importance of Black Panther, I am not going to pretend to know what it means first hand - obviously I have seen reports and spoken to non-white people of the importance of it. The closest I can relate is that I have two daughters and beyond trying to tell them they can do anything they want, they see it every day in my wife who has an engineering degree and handles most of the construction work around our house. They view it as normal for a woman to work with the power tools while the male is making diner. So I can only imagine just how much more meaningful it was to so many to see a super hero that looked like them (and not just one, but the entire cast, basically)

Trying to play this forward, I am glad to see the level of diversity seen in upcoming Disney movies, particularly on the animation side - especially Soul and Raya and the Last Dragon (which is was just announced that Kelly Marie Tran will now be the lead voice). Hopefully Chadwick understood the impact he had - if it wasn't for him and how well he was received and how well Black Panther performed, I don't know if we would see as much diversity going forward.

While he may no longer walk among us, the impact he has had on this world and on so many people will be felt for generations.

Or, as T'Challa said "I did not yield! As you can see, I am not dead! The challenge continues!"

Lastly, let's remember on how theaters across the world, full of people from all walks of life, erupted in cheers when the Black Panther, Shuri, and Okoye appeared to help save the day in End Game

Edit: sorry to add, but when someone mentions "for all our kids" I can't ignore

Last edited:
So we are on vacation in the Finger Lake region of NY which has a ton of wineries and breweries. While the general area can be super conservative/right wing I love how a lot of the wineries and breweries are more.intonsocial causes.

Just stopped in one Brewery, Lucky Hare, that participated in world wide collaborative to raise awareness- their beer is called "Black is Beautiful"

You will always be our King T’Challa BlackPanther

“It not just a loss we are feeling, it is his absence.” Oprah

#BlackPanther #BlackLivesMatter #WakanadaForever

Last edited:
Chadwick Boseman, the humanitarian,
For those who are interested in reading about Chadwick Boseman’s empathy for children fighting cancer.

There are few words that could describe what Chadwick Boseman did for the world in the last few years. He gave so much back, expecting so little in return. While battling cancer, the actor visited terminally ill children suffering from the same disease.

http://popularsuperstars.com/chadwi...st-jude-while-fighting-cancer-battle-details/

Apologies if my expression of loss for Chadwick Boseman was more than others felt. This summer has been too much. The year 2020 will go down as Annus Horribilis for so many people of all colors. The events of this Spring/Summer shined a massive spotlight on the injustice and losses experienced by men and women of color.
I am thankful to all of the Dis Community of Color and Allie members. Thank you for the acknowledgment we all can learn from each other. Thank you for notes of encouragement, when I asked "what trouble did I start?" Based on your reception to this thread, I think we all started "Good trouble."
We are still waiting for DIS Board Management to confirm our request to be moved over to our own Forum.
The anticipation of hosting our "D.O.C.'s Family reunion is one of the few things keeping me going. Until then I am counting down the days until the world heals from the Covid pandemic and we are all able to travel safely in numbers.

Thanks for being here,

Wishing everyone Peace, Love, and Light.
Wakanda Forever
AKL Ranger 🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

Apologies if my expression of loss for Chadwick Boseman was more than others felt. This summer has been too much. The year 2020 will go down as Annus Horribilis for so many people of all colors. The events of this Spring/Summer shined a massive spotlight on the injustice and losses experienced by men and women of color.
I am thankful to all of the Dis Community of Color and Allie members. Thank you for the acknowledgment we all can learn from each other. Thank you for notes of encouragement, when I asked "what trouble did I start?" Based on your reception to this thread, I think we all started "Good trouble."
We are still waiting for DIS Board Management to confirm our request to be moved over to our own Forum.
The anticipation of hosting our "D.O.C.'s Family reunion is one of the few things keeping me going. Until then I am counting down the days until the world heals from the Covid pandemic and we are all able to travel safely in numbers.

Thanks for being here,

Wishing everyone Peace, Love, and Light.
Wakanda Forever
AKL Ranger 🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

Absolutely no need to apologize. :hug: The loss of such promise, especially now, is both overwhelming and exhausting. Peace to you as well:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter