CSR (Gran Destino) vs Pop Century mid December

blewits

Wendy
Help. 2 choices. $1000 difference

5 nights. Free dining (std dining, not CS), PH passes for 4 days.

2 adults. 3 young adults (20, 17, 17). 2 rooms at both resorts.

Basically I am leaning towards the $1000 more for the quiet and more upscale at CSR GDT. But $1000 is $1000. Lol.

Knowing pop rooms are upgraded now, with coffee makers too, and new Skyliner going in to AoA.

I’m worried about noise, clientele (don’t judge), relaxation when returning from parks.

We will not be late evenings in parks. They close much earlier that time of year and we will not be attending after hours events that are hard ticket. Will like start early a.m., rest mid day and return for a few hours. We will have a car but we’ve never really minded the bus service. It’s better than my husband having road rage before getting to the park 😂

Pools not a concern. Doubt we will be swimming in December. I don’t think they could get the pool warm enough for me. 😉

And advice pro or con regarding both resorts greatly appreciated. I know Gran Destino is new but advice on the CSR as a whole is fine.

That dang Skyliner is really tripping me up. We want to ride rides and it might be a game changer in getting us areound quicker to DHS & EPCOT.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I would stick to POP in your scenario. Gran Destino will be over run with conference goers as it usually is and the transportation there isn't as good as POP once the Skyliner opens. Unless the nicer rooms and grounds are a factor(which I get if they are, they are to me) then Id stick with POP. You're basically giving up convenience for a nicer resort with more food options and better rooms.

Ugh, if it was 500 dollars I'd totally vote for the tower. With parks closing early I want lounges/etc.

But a grand, even my "i'm a hotel snob" husband would have issues with spending that much more.

Ugh, if it was 500 dollars I'd totally vote for the tower. With parks closing early I want lounges/etc.

But a grand, even my "i'm a hotel snob" husband would have issues with spending that much more.
I know. We are kinda snobs about it too. This is so tough. I’m so drawn to CSR for peace and calm. And adults.

Also, we have been to Barcelona a few times so the decor in the tower is pretty exciting to us.

This is killing me. 😂. DH too.

I think I would stick to POP in your scenario. Gran Destino will be over run with conference goers as it usually is and the transportation there isn't as good as POP once the Skyliner opens. Unless the nicer rooms and grounds are a factor(which I get if they are, they are to me) then Id stick with POP. You're basically giving up convenience for a nicer resort with more food options and better rooms.

It's only been open two weeks and a few days. Have their been reports that Gran Destino is overrun with convention goers? Curious.

Nothing wrong with Pop clientele. I've seen worse behavior at deluxe resorts.

I also had the chance to switch from Pop to the tower for about $400 more. I chose to stay at Pop. Something about Gran Destino just doesn't appeal to me personally.

I would pocket the money and use it for a Christmas Party with the kids.
I think that is a great idea but I’m not sold on the parties anymore. We used to do them. We do them for short ride lines. Primarily.

I would be so disappointed if we did one and it was still an hour to ride space mountain for example. Or so crowded for fireworks we would have to stake out a place an hour prior. And I LOVE the castle fireworks. They still always make me cry but it’s gotten so crazy as of late.

Now if you want a good view, it takes hours to dedicate to that. And still someone will worm their way up and stand in front. Even during a party.

I don’t find the parties worth it anymore. They sell too many tickets. 😢

Help. 2 choices. $1000 difference

5 nights. Free dining (std dining, not CS), PH passes for 4 days.

2 adults. 3 young adults (20, 17, 17). 2 rooms at both resorts.

Basically I am leaning towards the $1000 more for the quiet and more upscale at CSR GDT. But $1000 is $1000. Lol.

Knowing pop rooms are upgraded now, with coffee makers too, and new Skyliner going in to AoA.

I’m worried about noise, clientele (don’t judge), relaxation when returning from parks.

We will not be late evenings in parks. They close much earlier that time of year and we will not be attending after hours events that are hard ticket. Will like start early a.m., rest mid day and return for a few hours. We will have a car but we’ve never really minded the bus service. It’s better than my husband having road rage before getting to the park 😂

Pools not a concern. Doubt we will be swimming in December. I don’t think they could get the pool warm enough for me. 😉

And advice pro or con regarding both resorts greatly appreciated. I know Gran Destino is new but advice on the CSR as a whole is fine.

That dang Skyliner is really tripping me up. We want to ride rides and it might be a game changer in getting us areound quicker to DHS & EPCOT.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am actually on the same boat as you.

So I am not the right person to ask right now but I can tell you my current thought process.

I love both resorts. Theyre both fantastic.

We stayed at Coronado last year for New Years and loved it even with all the construction going on so I could only imagine what it will be like this year.

Coronado is "Deluxe-Lite"
Pop is a great bang for buck.

How much time will you be spending at your hotel? That important question will help you determine where to stay.

We did a split stay last year at the two and are repeating a split stay again (only one night at pop before moving over to CSR). I do see what you're saying with your points, but Pop was pretty great actually. The refurbished rooms have a much more upscale, modern vibe to them than they used to. Very clean and sleek. And with skyliner, your family will have a little more freedom of travel.

One thing that bothers me is $1000 is a pretty big jump from Pop up to CSR. That's $200 MORE per night, when you can often find CSR for around $200-$230 per night. I'm not sure how it got so expensive for you, but that seems really high. I like CSR, but I don't like it $1000 more than Pop, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for that insight. I’m still on the fence.

I think I have found a way to make up the $1000 difference. Money wise. Long story involving,teaching a teen the value of a dollar. 🙄

I know I want CSR but I have to justify it. In my mind.

Again, the Skyliner wants me to rethink everything.

But. Most of all I want quiet at my property at the end of the day.

We love OKW, POR, FWV, Contempary resort wing rooms for relaxation

We did a split stay last year at the two and are repeating a split stay again (only one night at pop before moving over to CSR). I do see what you're saying with your points, but Pop was pretty great actually. The refurbished rooms have a much more upscale, modern vibe to them than they used to. Very clean and sleek. And with skyliner, your family will have a little more freedom of travel.

One thing that bothers me is $1000 is a pretty big jump from Pop up to CSR. That's $200 MORE per night, when you can often find CSR for around $200-$230 per night. I'm not sure how it got so expensive for you, but that seems really high. I like CSR, but I don't like it $1000 more than Pop, if you know what I mean.
I do. Exactly why I asked for input.

Not kidding. Thank you.

That just might be the answer. What worries me is relaxation at the end of the day. Parks will be closing early so we will be back at the resort fairly early

If I split it, and save CSR for the last two or three nights, I hopefully will feel “rested” at the end of the trip. Lol.

I agree about the Pop rooms. I love the redesign. And I think, from what I’ve read, if I ask for third floor, it’s a bit more quiet.

And added bonus, I get to try 2 resorts in one trip. We’ve never done that before.

I guess I’m that Pop riffraff you are scared of...:rotfl:

Sorry. I don’t mean it that way. I meant it in reference to small kids being so prominent. Having a quiet lobby to sit in on occasion, etc. I know it’s Disney. I know there are kids, etc. We are going on 20 years of taking our own kids down there. But now they are grown, and this old mama wants peace and quiet when she gets back to the resort.

I think a split stay might be the perfect solution. Then I get to visit both resorts in one trip. And save some money at the same time!

Sorry. I don’t mean it that way. I meant it in reference to small kids being so prominent. Having a quiet lobby to sit in on occasion, etc. I know it’s Disney. I know there are kids, etc. We are going on 20 years of taking our own kids down there. But now they are grown, and this old mama wants peace and quiet when she gets back to the resort.

I think a split stay might be the perfect solution. Then I get to visit both resorts in one trip. And save some money at the same time!
Absolutely! You'll get the fun of Pop when you're all hyped up from being in the park, and then relax just when you're starting to appreciate it. :)

No worries! I wasn’t offended at all. I thought it was funny!

Honestly, I was all excited when I booked a room at AKL with free dining. But my kids decided they would rather stay at Pop instead. They love the values! And they are 17 and 15, so not little! :laughing:

I hope you have an amazing trip, wherever you decide to stay!

That's a lot of money. Transportation is always a big deciding factor for me. All those bus stops at CSR take forever to get around, and Pop generally has buses readily available. The tower looks nice, but I can think of lots of ways to spend $1000 at WDW.

If you don't want screaming rampant little kids then I'd definitely pick CSR over POP. I've hardly seen kids every time I'm there, mostly just convention goers.

Side note: I have nothing against little kids just big difference in the atmosphere after staying at both POP and CSR a lot.

No worries! I wasn’t offended at all. I thought it was funny!

Honestly, I was all excited when I booked a room at AKL with free dining. But my kids decided they would rather stay at Pop instead. They love the values! And they are 17 and 15, so not little! :laughing:

I hope you have an amazing trip, wherever you decide to stay!
That’s funny. I suppose the animals might seem boring at that age. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter