CSR (Gran Destino) vs Pop Century mid December

We want to say at the new tower when we go in august 2020. When searching, I picked Grand Destino and was in shock with the prices. After some more searching, I found that the "Tower" rooms are also under CSR booking. They matched with the $200+.
Were you searching under CSR for the Tower rooms or under Grand Destino?

I know I want CSR but I have to justify it. In my mind.
You and your husband sound a bit like my wife and I. I understand your OP completely, you expect different behavior in Vic and Anthony's (a fine steakhouse) owned by Landry's than you do in Rain Forest Cafe, also owned by Landry's. You're playing the odds that the experiences will be fairly different. ha

Justifications, those are easy.

1) Brand new resort and rooms. (Hotel snob #1 issue for me.)
2) Deluxe accommodations for Moderate Prices. (Not sure WDW will keep the tower at these prices once the word gets out about the resort.)
3) The new Restaurant is still single dinning credit with a beautiful setting and views.
4) The views from the hotel rooms are some of the best in all of WDW, especially the Water View side of the hotel. (Highest view in a WDW resort from the lounge and restaurant. 16th floor.)
5) It's a hotel setting, rather than a motel setting, so no long outdoor hikes to the lobby, counter service areas or gift shop...
6) It's will have far less children. (Not sure why any one would be bothered with a conventioneer quietly working at the hotel. ha)
7) The nighttime views of the property itself are some of the best in WDW.
8) 3 Bridges Bar and Grill is one of the most relaxing and scenic areas in WDW.
9) You can refill your mugs with coffee at Barcelona Lounge without going to the counter service restaurant. Snack credit breakfast offering at Barcelona lounge as well.
10) It sounds like it's where you really want to stay.

In the end, it's up to you. If the cost is something you can comfortably swing, then do what you want and enjoy it.
If the cost is something you just can't absorb in the long run, then the PoP is a fun place to stay as well and you do have the Skyliners as a mode of transportation.

Last edited:
You and your husband sound a bit like my wife and I. I understand your OP completely, you expect different behavior in Vic and Anthony's (a fine steakhouse) owned by Landry's than you do in Rain Forest Cafe, also owned by Landry's. Your playing the odds that the experiences will be fairly different. ha

Justifications, those are easy.

1) Brand new resort and rooms. (Hotel snob #1 issue for me.)
2) Deluxe accommodations for Moderate Prices. (Not sure WDW will keep the tower at these prices once the word gets out about the resort.)
3) The new Restaurant is still single dinning credit with a beautiful setting and views.
4) The views from the hotel rooms are some of the best in all of WDW, especially the Water View side of the hotel. (Highest view in a WDW resort from the lounge and restaurant. 16th floor.)
5) It's a hotel setting, rather than a motel setting, so no long outdoor hikes to the lobby, counter service areas or gift shop...
6) It's will have far less children. (Not sure why any one would be bothered with a conventioneer quietly working at the hotel. ha)
7) The nighttime views of the property itself are some of the best in WDW.
8) 3 Bridges Bar and Grill is one of the most relaxing and scenic areas in WDW.
9) You can refill your mugs with coffee at Barcelona Lounge without going to the counter service restaurant. Snack credit breakfast offering at Barcelona lounge as well.
10) It sounds like it's where you really want to stay.

You’re killin’ me smalls :worship:

You are also spot on. So, there’s that.

I think you just sold me.

Turns out I can’t split, which was a consideration, because we booked under the free dining package. Must be in each resort for 4 night minimum.

I’d spent the extra money for CSR. We just stayed one night at Pop last weekend and it was extremely noisy and crowded. Our room was in the 70s section facing the courtyard with the foosball characters. It was so loud we had to turn on the white noise on our phones to drown out the yelling people. There were a lot of tour groups there it seemed so that added to it I think.

We also did not find the food court there appealing at all. It was crowded and the quality of the food was poor at best.

We stayed at CSR two years ago and found it to be quiet and relaxing but out of the way for transportation. With that I’d choose it anyway over Pop.

We settled on Gran Destino. Mainly because of quiet we want. And we are veterans but have never done the week before Christmas before.

I’m a decent WDW planner but this crowd level makes me as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof.

Luckily my kids are grown for this one.

Pray for me 😂

Normally I would go with POP Century because I have had lots of fun staying there many times.
Recently I walked around the Lobby of the CSR to check out the construction before the open and new 3 Bridges Grill at night. It is so peaceful and truly beautiful at night. 3 Bridges have been built to connect in center of lake and the new Bar & Grill has open air seating. Also benches on the bridge to sit and relax... The Gran Destino Resort has a nighttime design that softly lights aglow with alternately colors to reflect the front design border on the tower. I can only imagine how deluxe the rooftop would be for guests. Obviously this will increase your budget when comparing to POP.
I think I would choose POP and have more money to find ways to relax to spend that money.

We too are debating between POP Century and Gran Destino Tower. DH and I are only staying 2 nights prior to Disney Cruise. My kids are grown and I really don't like the oversized icons - I prefer just looking a the pretty palm trees and nice scenery at a resort. However, we are trying to save money. I'm wondering if we should stick with POP and go to a park one day or just book Gran Destino Tower and just relax at resort and maybe go to Disney Springs.

We too are debating between POP Century and Gran Destino Tower. DH and I are only staying 2 nights prior to Disney Cruise. My kids are grown and I really don't like the oversized icons - I prefer just looking a the pretty palm trees and nice scenery at a resort. However, we are trying to save money. I'm wondering if we should stick with POP and go to a park one day or just book Gran Destino Tower and just relax at resort and maybe go to Disney Springs.

We just stayed at POP for a week in August and are going on a cruise on Royal Caribbean but staying 2 nights pre cruise. We are doing exactly what you said. Going to Disney Springs the first day and to the MK the next before we head to the port for our cruise.

Tough decision but I'd book the GD. Have a great time whatever you choose.

NGTOD

We stayed at Pop back in Sept and it wasn't too loud. We had a "standard" view and were close to the bridge to AoA. I really liked this location because we could easily walk over to the AoA food court if we wanted something different. It was also pretty quite because we were farther away from the pool. I also loved it for how close it was to the skyliner. That truely is a game-changer for transportation to HS and EP.
One thing to keep in mind with Pop was that the rooms don't have comfy chairs to lounge in. There are only a couple of "dining room" type chairs. So, if you wanted to "lounge around" in the room, you were sitting on the bed. :) So, if having a good place to lounge around in is important to you, I would go for GDT.

One other option you would have if you stayed at Pop would be to take the skyliner to CBR and lounge around the lobbies there.

I am a huge POP fan and it's my favorite of the values. That being said, my daughter and I tried CS recently for the first time a day after a cruise. We booked Casitas but we didn't like the room and they upgraded us to the Tower. Sold!! Oh my gosh, the room seemed twice as large as the ones at POP, the grounds were absolutely beautiful and the food choices were so much better, which was important to me. I used to like to walk around the "quiet" empty lake path and bridge at POP, but the Skyliner station has removed a lot of that feeling for me.

Also, I like to walk/exercise on vacation (I know, Disney IS walking) and GD has an actual gym plus the paths around CS were stunning with beautiful foliage, benches to take in the view, etc. Oh and they have room service! We also found something decent to eat for lunch at the food court and really liked the gift shop too.
I still like POP, but dislike the food court changes (particularly missed make your own salad), and will now choose GD every time (depending on price). I am researching to return there hopefully spring 2020.

We settled on Gran Destino. Mainly because of quiet we want. And we are veterans but have never done the week before Christmas before.

I’m a decent WDW planner but this crowd level makes me as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof.

Luckily my kids are grown for this one.

Pray for me 😂

If any amount of quiet is what you want, you made the right choice. Although the Pop rooms have been redone nicely, outside the rooms, there is no quiet or relaxing place. The dining place especially is SOOO LOUD! At Gran Destino, there will be lovely places for your family to gather and relax outside your rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter