Cruise or DVC?

Jlo85

Mouseketeer
In the process of buying our first DVC resale at the Polynesian. Part of the thought process was to buy extra points for bringing friends and family along.

My mom is on a kick about wanting to take us on a Disney Cruise. Shes cruised, but never done Disney. We’ve never been on a cruise, much less a Disney Cruise. But when I look at the prices for taking a group of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids), it ain’t cheap. Minimum $4K. I think I would much rather buy more points with that. And with the Poly being more ‘premium’, or being able to do Hilton Head or Vero Beach, I’m wondering if a cruise can even measure up.

I know this is the DVC forum, and I’ll probably get a different response on the DCL forum. But any thoughts on this? Again, I’m a cruise and DVC novice - never done either.

DVC owner and DCL Platinum cruiser. If your mom wants to take you on a cruise, I think you should let her! I’m a grandmother, and taking our DS’s family on a 3-4 night DCL has given us many extra special memories.

Do you want your mother to buy you points with the money?

DVC owner and DCL Platinum cruiser. If your mom wants to take you on a cruise, I think you should let her! I’m a grandmother, and taking our DS’s family on a 3-4 night DCL has given us many extra special memories.

Do you want your mother to buy you points with the money?
Thanks! Yea I was more thinking she could buy the family points instead, but I just wasn’t sure whether the cruise was worth it. I think we’ll let her do the cruise.

I’ve never been on a Disney cruise because they are so expensive. However I’ve been on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and had a very nice time on both lines. If someone was offering to take me on a Disney Cruise I would definitely let them. Especially if I had little kids.

You could always buy the points and use them towards a cruise with a swap.
That would be a terrible value. You shouldn't buy DVC with the intention of using the points for anything other than staying at DVC resorts. Cruises, Interval, renting, Galactic Starcruiser, etc. are fine backup plans if you find yourself with a glut of points but they shouldn't be anyone's Plan A.

Why don’t you ask on the cruise forum what sort of things DCL has that you and your family may especially like at the ages of your children. Our DGC are now 17 and 18 and in July we had a very nice 4 night DCL cruise with them and their parents. It was different then when they were 5 and 6. As a grandparent I was thrilled to spend that time with them. We live far away, so having dinner and doing some things together was extra special. We were happy to treat the family.

Cruising is in the worst spot it's been and if you go plan on having covid when you return home.

We have been on 3 cruises last 12 months and 2 WDW DVC trips.

I am not fully thrilled with WDW but DVC and WDW is what I would choose at the current time.

Crusing can be amazing but just wait it out another year or so.

That being said I have chosen Sandals for our couples trip in September instead of a cruise and cancelled our December DVC trip in exchange.

Also if you cruise right now with kids I would look at Royal Caribbean as well. Check out youtuber videos on cruises so they show you wants available. Disney is a premium for the nightly entertainment that is family friendly. Food will be better on Royal with a dining plan and still come out way less plus you can afford connecting rooms even for less than Disney so kids can be in another room.

DCL is great they just have skyrocketed their price and I would only cruise them on deep discounts or a transatlantic that is discounted over a normal cruise.

That would be a terrible value. You shouldn't buy DVC with the intention of using the points for anything other than staying at DVC resorts. Cruises, Interval, renting, Galactic Starcruiser, etc. are fine backup plans if you find yourself with a glut of points but they shouldn't be anyone's Plan A.
My meaning was a swap through a rental company. You swap your points for them to rent, you get the credit applied towards the cruise.

Much better value than using points directly for the cruise.

Last edited:
Cruising is in the worst spot it's been and if you go plan on having covid when you return home.

We have been on 3 cruises last 12 months and 2 WDW DVC trips.

I am not fully thrilled with WDW but DVC and WDW is what I would choose at the current time.

Crusing can be amazing but just wait it out another year or so.

That being said I have chosen Sandals for our couples trip in September instead of a cruise and cancelled our December DVC trip in exchange.

Also if you cruise right now with kids I would look at Royal Caribbean as well. Check out youtuber videos on cruises so they show you wants available. Disney is a premium for the nightly entertainment that is family friendly. Food will be better on Royal with a dining plan and still come out way less plus you can afford connecting rooms even for less than Disney so kids can be in another room.

DCL is great they just have skyrocketed their price and I would only cruise them on deep discounts or a transatlantic that is discounted over a normal cruise.
We went on a cruise last month and didn’t come home with Covid. Not saying it can’t happen but not a guarantee.

We are DVC owners and been on several Disney cruises. Love both and very different vacations. I would suggest you let your mom take you on a cruise if that is she wants to do.

We had been on 3 Disney cruises and loved them! But, when our 2 kids entered HS- we asked the same question -spend $$$ on an Easter cruise, or use that $ to buy more DVC points to stay at DVC more often before kids went to college. We decided to buy more DVC. We did not regret that choice at all.

We went on a cruise last month and didn’t come home with Covid. Not saying it can’t happen but not a guarantee.

We are DVC owners and been on several Disney cruises. Love both and very different vacations. I would suggest you let your mom take you on a cruise if that is she wants to do.

I did a quick search and it looks like you are in Europe and did a Mediterranean cruise. That is not a relevant data point when discussing US cruising which a vast majority of these posts are going to be about unless they specifically call out about not being about that.

It's all anecdotal information but my reference points are my own experiences cruising 3 times since Sept '21, other cruise forum locations discussion on post trip cruise groups, and information I have regarding a few different industry/company conventions that have occurred and post positive rates.

My simple call out is not that you absolutely will have it post cruise, its that you should prepare as if you will have it. I am going to Sandals next month and even though I don't plan on working more than from my cell I am still taking my laptop incase I end up needing to quarantine.

Additionally cruising being in the worst spot its been isn't relative to just COVID its actually based on there being no capacity restrictions, cruises being at capacity, yet there being issues for the cruise line with having enough crew members and changes still in place related to both that staffing shortage+covid protocols (like changes to kids clubs or Palo brunch change).

Cruising is not in the worst spot, at least, not to us. We just did a 7 night fantasy cruise and the 5 of us had an amazing time. Probably our favorite out of the 5 we have been on. Cruises want you to cruise so they are giving extra incentives (sales, packages, etc depending who you cruise with). Disney is even discounting sailings out of Miami. We didn't come back sick, I am sure some did, but we came back from our previous disney world trip sick (cold symptoms) and am sure kids will get sick now that school is back. One thing we noticed is the cleaning is even more pronounced on the cruise to keep people safe, or making the appearance. Don't let fear hold you back from cruising.

We are in a similar situation. Thinking of a cruise next year or saving up for some Poly 2 DVC points. Haven't decided yet. Probably going to hope for both, book the cruise and see how things are going prior to pif.

Thanks! Yea I was more thinking she could buy the family points instead, but I just wasn’t sure whether the cruise was worth it. I think we’ll let her do the cruise.

Would she though? If she specifically wants to use her money to go on a cruise with her family, that seems like an odd conversation to have with a gift giver, even it it is your mom.

This might be personal preference for your Mom.

I offered to take my Mom to Disney, all expenses paid. She was excited to spend time with us but ultimately declined - she isn’t a fan of the physical exertion required for the parks. Nothing I said convinced her otherwise. But she has already told me she’ll happily join me on any future cruises I book.

In the process of buying our first DVC resale at the Polynesian. Part of the thought process was to buy extra points for bringing friends and family along.

My mom is on a kick about wanting to take us on a Disney Cruise. Shes cruised, but never done Disney. We’ve never been on a cruise, much less a Disney Cruise. But when I look at the prices for taking a group of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids), it ain’t cheap. Minimum $4K. I think I would much rather buy more points with that. And with the Poly being more ‘premium’, or being able to do Hilton Head or Vero Beach, I’m wondering if a cruise can even measure up.

I know this is the DVC forum, and I’ll probably get a different response on the DCL forum. But any thoughts on this? Again, I’m a cruise and DVC novice - never done either.

There is no comparison. It's like asking, "should I go to a football game or to a 5-star restaurant?" They are entirely different experiences.

Disney cruises are fantastic. The ships are a lot of fun for the whole family. Depending on the itinerary, you can see multiple amazing locations. Show, characters, pools, dinners, and the ocean breeze.

Buying DVC points is a commitment. It gives you more WDW days in the future, but you also have to pay the dues with those extra points. (and pay for more park tickets, etc)

Personally, I'd never choose only WDW or only cruise. I've done both, and I wouldn't give either back. (The Disney cruise in Alaska was really amazing! 1 of my best vacations. But I've certainly loved vacations at the Poly, Riviera, Beach Club and Contemporary (non DVC) as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter