• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super happy Rafiki's is getting some love, I spent countless hours (sometimes we would go only there and spend 4 hours) when my son was young and I thought for sure he would go into some kind of animal career, they brought different animals out every hour inside and outside. Last time I was there, about a month and a half ago, they had the porcupine out practicing behavior and I was the only one there so got to talk to the keepers. I hope they start getting the animals out on a more regular basis to get even more people to go over. I've always considered that area the heart of AK

We tend to be highlight reel AK park touring kinda people (and just generally we lean towards the other 3 parks more) and I don’t know the last time we made it over to Rafiki’s, but after the AK show on Disney+ I think that is going to be changing for us! My kids are absolutely obsessed right now. I think they’ll love Rafiki’s next time we go.

Hopefully we can get back to Disney while they’re still kids 😂

We tend to be highlight reel AK park touring kinda people (and just generally we lean towards the other 3 parks more) and I don’t know the last time we made it over to Rafiki’s, but after the AK show on Disney+ I think that is going to be changing for us! My kids are absolutely obsessed right now. I think they’ll love Rafiki’s next time we go.

Hopefully we can get back to Disney while they’re still kids 😂
Fun to see and know the names of the animals and what they've been up to :) it really puts it in a different perspective

Chicago is quite a long ways from Florida
Sorry, my point wasn't about locality of chicago, but more about as more areas lock down again it will be less people able to (or at least should be able to) travel to Florida. Assuming Florida doesn't lockdown itself - which is looking more possible again now to me at least.

Sorry, my point wasn't about locality of chicago, but more about as more areas lock down again it will be less people able to (or at least should be able to) travel to Florida. Assuming Florida doesn't lockdown itself - which is looking more possible again now to me at least.

Florida and Illinois are very different politically. There is near zero chance Florida would lock down.

So with mobile ordering, how does that work if someone in your party has multiple food allergies? My son is allergic to nuts, dairy, and eggs. For lunch, we pack him something and bring it in the park, but for dinner, he eats in the park. We have table service most evenings, but a few where we just plan to grab QS. Are you able to mark multiple allergies in a mobile order or will we need to fight to order inside?

I knew I saw the allergy section on several menus but we honestly didn't use them (even though I'm also allergic to nuts). I did see some people asking to order inside, and while the CMs at the door seemed reluctant, they would allow it. I'd just try to go in off times, not right at peak dining times (easier to find seating that way anyway).

Attachments

• 4EBE67F8-EE2F-4F93-BB9F-81374BCDD6FD.jpeg
    4EBE67F8-EE2F-4F93-BB9F-81374BCDD6FD.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6
Florida and Illinois are very different politically. There is near zero chance Florida would lock down.
That said, as much as my fellow Floridians don't like to admit it, what happens in cities like Chicago and New York absolutely has a serious impact on WDW. These metro areas are huge feeder markets for WDW, which isn't designed to sustain itself just on local APs. Chicagoland, for example, is the second largest out-of-state market for WDW after the Tri-State Area (so much so that Disney Destinations has sizable offices in the Loop and sponsors some local activities). Disney's already not getting anywhere close to enough visitors from these areas (hence why offerings remain so limited, especially outside the parks and DS). If these areas start issuing stay-at-home orders or more aggressive travel restrictions, the little activity WDW is seeing these from these areas will likely disappear. That will have a tangible effect. You can expect park hours to condense. You can expect shops and restaurants to reduce hours or return to being "temporarily unavailable." Again (and I'm an AP myself), WDW cannot survive or sustain itself of APs and FL Residents. It's not built for that. All that in mind, given the direction we're currently headed, I foresee a lot of 5pm closes after the new year.

That said, as much as my fellow Floridians don't like to admit it, what happens in cities like Chicago and New York absolutely has a serious impact on WDW. These metro areas are huge feeder markets for WDW, which isn't designed to sustain itself just on local APs. Chicagoland, for example, is the second largest out-of-state market for WDW after the Tri-State Area (so much so that Disney Destinations has sizable offices in the Loop and sponsors some local activities). Disney's already not getting anywhere close to enough visitors from these areas (hence why offerings remain so limited, especially outside the parks and DS). If these areas start issuing stay-at-home orders or more aggressive travel restrictions, the little activity WDW is seeing these from these areas will likely disappear. That will have a tangible effect. You can expect park hours to condense. You can expect shops and restaurants to reduce hours or return to being "temporarily unavailable." Again (and I'm an AP myself), WDW cannot survive or sustain itself of APs and FL Residents. It's not built for that. All that in mind, given the direction we're currently headed, I foresee a lot of 5pm closes after the new year.

I don’t disagree with any of your response. I was addressing Anthony’s post regarding shutting Florida down. I don’t want to get into a debate over restrictions and their effects.

As someone from the Chicago area who just got back from Disney World (this was my 3rd trip there since they reopened), the advisory means nothing. People who want to go will still go. The quarantine recommendation is within the city limits right now so anyone in the suburbs is not subject to those rules.

As someone from the Chicago area who just got back from Disney World (this was my 3rd trip there since they reopened), the advisory means nothing. People who want to go will still go. The quarantine recommendation is within the city limits right now so anyone in the suburbs is not subject to those rules.
Sorry but that’s a pretty bad take. We should consider these advisories. If everyone did whatever they wanted to, we would be ever worse off than we are now. I thank the people following the rules or advisories to keep others safe.

Last edited:
Sorry but that’s a pretty bad take. We should consider these advisories. If everyone did whatever they wanted to, we would be ever worse off than we are now. I thank the people following the rules or advisories to try and keep others safe.
Sorry, I don't think I made my point well. The advisory is for the city of Chicago. The suburbs do not have those same advisories and people in the suburbs are not going to not go because a neighboring city has an advisory.

Sorry, I don't think I made my point well. The advisory is for the city of Chicago. The suburbs do not have those same advisories and people in the suburbs are not going to not go because a neighboring city has an advisory.
I have a friend who was flying home today from WDW that lives outside of Chicago and she said pretty much the same thing, and is happy she went when she did just in case there are more extensive advisory’s in the near future. It would be like, for me, the city of Atlanta going on lockdown and people expecting me to stay home; but I don’t live in Atlanta, I live 2 hours away with much better numbers *knock on wood*, and shouldn’t have to postpone anything because Atlanta did it.

You’re all feeling the feeling that NYer’s that don’t live in NYC have felt for decades.

No, not every square mile in the state of NY is NYC. I live an hour away from the city and the only time I ever go down there is for Yankee games or Broadway plays, and sometimes walk around Bryant Park and head down to see the Macy’s windows around the holidays, so at most, 5 times a year?

So when NYC was hitting their peak, we were seeing about 100 cases a day here. We were still in lockdown for longer than most of the country, but we were about 3 weeks ahead of the city in reopening. If NYC were to lockdown again, but we weren’t advised to, I wouldn’t mandatorily lock myself down just because NYC had to. If things are open that are part of my routine, I’d still do them. Most of my town is still very good at abiding mask and distancing.

Pretty awful reporting there by that local CBS. Going solely on Chapek saying the parks will most likely be closed through fiscal year 2021 Q1 and interpreting that to meant 3/21, when in reality Disney is already in their 2021 Q1 and it ends in 12/20.

Oh that’s all it is? Admittedly I did not click the link just trusted that the part DIS unplugged added was accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter