Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this whole thing more this morning (especially my “why Ft. Wildnerness cabins?” question), and I think the answer to all of this has been right in front of our faces the whole time.

What’s special about both DVC and Ft. Wilderness?

Something else that's distinct for FW is that like in the one bedroom and larger DVC spaces, the Cabins have their own kitchens, and RV campers do as well. This limits demands on TS and QS dining...

Which is really bad business considering how Universal is handling this. Also, does Disney want to refund that money back to people currently? I doubt that.

I think it is better to know ahead of time vs only finding out when you get to a park that it is at capacity and you can't get in

I think we will have to see how it plays out but I do think if you have access to that initial period to the new system you will likely get a reservation - it is the people that don't do anything until last minute that might have some challenges.

Probably goes back to the "planner" vs the "go with the flow" vacationers. The planners should be fine but the later group might be more challenged .... but we shall see what the demand is

I was thinking about this whole thing more this morning (especially my “why Ft. Wildnerness cabins?” question), and I think the answer to all of this has been right in front of our faces the whole time.

I think this entire thing is related to transition to the new booking system that will replace the MDE app. I think all this chaos is the result of data migration into that system that is not going well. The migration plan was almost certainly designed to go week-to-week, as no way you can move all Disney data at once.

Think about it, what’s the first thing you do when you need to migrate data over and you have concerns about integrity, what is the first thing you do? Stop new data from coming into the system. Result: all new room, dining and ticket purchases suspended indefinitely. DONE.

What’s the second thing you do? Reduce the amount of data you need to migrate. Result: FP and ADR completely wiped out. DONE.

What’s the third thing you do in this situation? Move as much data as possible into systems that won’t be impacted by the migration. What’s special about both DVC and Ft. Wilderness? Separate booking systems from MDE. Ft. Wilderness campgrounds is also one non-DVC WDW property you can use points for. Result: move all reservations to DVC resorts or Ft. Wilderness. DONE.

The last thing? Manually backup all data and set a date for migration. Result: send out emails asking guests if they plan to keep their reservations and warn them that lack of response risks cancellation. Hard deadline of 7/11 for a response. DONE.

So my best guess is they are planning on turning on this new reservation/booking system on the 11th. Fingers crossed it works well because time is running out.
I feel as if this is what Remy has been alluding to now for a while.

How about the fact that 1-3 bedroom DVC units and Ft. Wilderness cabins have full kitchens. This means less demand on dining facilities. Ft Wilderness campers may have their own cooking devices and were not planning to eat all meals out, but prepare their own at their site.

DVC units already receive minimal housekeeping so that’s not a strain on the system. Regular hotel rooms have it daily, and for the time being will be reduced. DVC already had the accomplished. Ft Wilderness campers are bringing their own trailers, RVs, or tents. No housekeeping needed to clean inside, just a light sweep/wash of the ground.

I think this entire thing is related to transition to the new booking system that will replace the MDE app. I think all this chaos is the result of data migration into that system that is not going well. The migration plan was almost certainly designed to go week-to-week, as no way you can move all Disney data at once.

Think about it, what’s the first thing you do when you need to migrate data over and you have concerns about integrity, what is the first thing you do? Stop new data from coming into the system. Result: all new room, dining and ticket purchases suspended indefinitely. DONE.

What’s the second thing you do? Reduce the amount of data you need to migrate. Result: FP and ADR completely wiped out. DONE.

What’s the third thing you do in this situation? Move as much data as possible into systems that won’t be impacted by the migration. What’s special about both DVC and Ft. Wilderness? Separate booking systems from MDE. Ft. Wilderness campgrounds is also one non-DVC WDW property you can use points for. Result: move all reservations to DVC resorts or Ft. Wilderness. DONE.

The last thing? Manually backup all data and set a date for migration. Result: send out emails asking guests if they plan to keep their reservations and warn them that lack of response risks cancellation. Hard deadline of 7/11 for a response. DONE.

So my best guess is they are planning on turning on this new reservation/booking system on the 11th. Fingers crossed it works well because time is running out.
I missed the email part...did everyone get an email asking what their intentions are? Or just up to a certain date? I am sure it was discussed but I missed it

I think you have nailed it!!:D

I know an issue we are having here in Indianapolis is that the Red Cross wasn't/isn't doing any lifeguard certifications for a while, which has created a shortage of lifeguards for neighborhood pool services.

I would think/hope that large corporations like Disney pay for their own certifications but I have no idea how that works.

Disney lifeguards are Ellis Trained and they do have their own internal training staff :) Ellis pushed out their recertification dates so that no one that was currently certified in March would lose that until July 1. As long as they get them going again by then, no one will lapse. Renewal training is much less complex than doing an entire recertification.

I believe the majority of people with an arrival prior to July 4th got emails
I did get this message as a DVC guest as did my clients that booked. I had a client w. Jambo house reservation move to a placeholder at Kidani- as well as a BC standard room move to a 1 BR DVC villa. Disney has so many placeholders to move ppl in their inventory so they likely need to know of people's intentions asap (by 6/12) so they can get a better picture on inventory despite it being loosely suggested that folks w. packages have until 1 week before.

Just to throw something out there
What has been the number 1 complain about the parks for the last couple of years? High crowds
What if they keep the reservation system to control crowds at each park? This way people will know ahead of time what park it's already closed for capacity
Just a thought, I'm bored :D

Lower crowds means higher prices. New #1 complaint - Why are they charging higher prices??

I did get this message as a DVC guest as did my clients that booked. I had a client w. Jambo house reservation move to a placeholder at Kidani- as well as a BC standard room move to a 1 BR DVC villa. Disney has so many placeholders to move ppl in their inventory so they likely need to know of people's intentions asap (by 6/12) so they can get a better picture on inventory despite it being loosely suggested that folks w. packages have until 1 week before.
I am DVC but 8/31 arrival...I guess that was not included in the emails?

I missed the email part...did everyone get an email asking what their intentions are? Or just up to a certain date? I am sure it was discussed but I missed it

Guests with check-ins from June 22 - July 4 got the e-mail to cancel, modify or allow WDW to move them to an open resort during their current dates. Guests booked June 5 - June 21 also got an e-mail, but only to notify them they can modify dates to July 11 - December 31.

As far as the posts that have wondered about this- I REALLY hope the park reservation system isn’t here to stay. I don’t want to have to commit that far in advance which park I’m going to. I know we do to a certain extent through FP and ADR but we can choose to change those and maybe lose a good FP, and not as big of a deal with the ADR because even if my ADR is at MK I can decide to go to AK and hop over for my dinner. There have been many times we’ve changed our planned park for the day the day before or morning of. When my kids were smaller once my daughter wasn’t feeling well the day we had planned to spend our full day at MK so we switched up and made the following day our MK day. With this system we’d have been stuck having our one MK day with a kid not feeling well all day or had to leave early and not get to spend a full day there. As it was, we made that a rest day and went to MK the next. If I see the weather is going to be bad one day, I want to be able to change my plans and not be stuck. I understand the need for the system now, but going forward I hope it doesn’t stick.
The annual pass blackout calendar through June 2021 says reservation required on the available dates

they won't bring any CP back until all FT and PT are back at work in their regular positions, that won't happen any time soon, the Unions are making sure that doesn't happen
I think going forward we are going to be looking at a smaller CP and international worker program. I don't think the pandemic is the only reason for this.

I think going forward we are going to be looking at a smaller CP and international worker program. I don't think the pandemic is the only reason for this.
I don’t think there will ever be a smaller CP program. They get to have a ton of staff for basically free with that program. That’s a major reason we’re seeing such drastic cuts to things resort wide because they don’t have that large, basically pay free, workforce to staff everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter