Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit vague IMO, but it seems to appear that way
It doesn't appear that way to me at all- hotels in Fl have always been open, they never closed. He made a specific difference between airbnb types and hotels. He also said those types of lodging aren't neccesarily banned- they need to submit a plan and if they were allowing guests from places like NY, they most likely would be told no. But, this is phase 1. In phase 2, I suspect any restrictions will go away.

DeSantis has been against movie theaters opening since the start. The first big movie set to release (Tenant) isn’t for 9 weeks. I think they’ll open theaters 2-3 weeks before hand to test things out and get people comfortable

That is exaactly what amc has said their plan is - to open a few weeks before tenent and show older popular movies to start with.

Not DVC? And what would be the difference in effect of not allowing out of state to stay in vac rentals but allowing them in hotels?

Timeshares are grouped with hotels in the order it seems, so DVC would follow like that. Which is weird because if you rented out a house, or apt/condo for a vacation I don't see all that much difference other than the fact the timeshare resorts are all on the same complex vs scattered wherever.

The Governor just said he couldn’t close hotels because he had the national guard and such that needed a place to stay. That was the reasoning he gave in difference between short term rentals and hotels.
But from a health standpoint, how can you say people from out of state can visit hotels in Florida, but not vacation rentals? It doesn't make logical sense. If one is allowed, the other should be to (if the aim is from a health standpoint)

But from a health standpoint, how can you say people from out of state can visit hotels in Florida, but not vacation rentals? It doesn't make logical sense. If one is allowed, the other should be to (if the aim is from a health standpoint)
From a healthpoint standard, it doesn't. But they took the higher risk because they needed them to be open. At least that was his reasoning. And again, this is a phase 1 requirement, likely not to exist in phase 2. If Disney couldn't open resorts to out of state guests, they might as well keep them closed.

Timeshares are grouped with hotels in the order it seems, so DVC would follow like that. Which is weird because if you rented out a house, or apt/condo for a vacation I don't see all that much difference other than the fact the timeshare resorts are all on the same complex vs scattered wherever.
My guess is that they trust hotels and time shares have the procedures and staff in place to turn around units faster than smaller operations.

Last edited:
From a healthpoint standard, it doesn't. But they took the higher risk because they needed them to be open. At least that was his reasoning. And again, this is a phase 1 requirement, likely not to exist in phase 2. If Disney couldn't open resorts to out of state guests, they might as well keep them closed.
The page I screenshot from the FL Phased opening was for Phase 2 operations regarding vacation rentals for Florida residents only

The page I screenshot from the FL Phased opening was for Phase 2 operations regarding vacation rentals for Florida residents only
Regardless, it has nothing to do with hotels. Hotels were never closed, never banned from out of state guests. DeSantis never said anything about not allowing out of state guests in hotels. They're in them now I'm quite sure. No one from anywhere is currently banned from entering the state, they just have to quarantine and they are certainly not banned from staying at hotels. They won't be in the next phase either although I expect the quarantine guideline will be lifted. His comments were only in regards to airbnb type stays.

If you are high risk you absolutely should not be working and that is a suggestion in every single reopening plan from the federal government to the states. I for one would rather all of this funding taking place be given to those LEGIT at risk people so they can stay home and the rest of us who fall into that over 98% recovery rate can go back to life as scheduled.

Everyone should have the right to choose if they want to work and not be forced to not go to work. We should do what we can to support high risk individuals who cannot work but we shouldn't force anyone to stay home that is willing to accept the risk.

My guess is that they trust hotels and time shares has the procedures and staff in place to turn around units faster than smaller operations.
One reason you see otherwise inexplicable distinctions is that it is legally much easier to group relatable things and for public health reasons set orders for them as a group. This eliminates many of the due process arguments that could be used if similar institutions were treated differently based on individualized reviews, and saves all the time the individualized reviews might take.

It is quite reasonable to think that hotels/timeshares, living in a much different regulatory environment and with much more valuable brands to protect, would both have more resources and devote more resources to wise public health measures, while a mom-and-pop rental could not be so strongly counted on to do the same.

This dream of a vaccine is a big factor of why people don’t want things to reopen just yet. “Just wait for the vaccine, it’ll be here by September and it will be ok to go back to normal life”. The media continues to rattle off these different companies and countries that are working on a vaccine. Key word. Working. They’ve been working on a vaccine for HIV since the early 80s.
I agree with you on not waiting for a vaccine as we don't know when or if that will happen. If we want to live with this virus that means wearing masks when needed and keep practicing physical distancing. We stop doing that and there is a good chance we will end up back where we were. Its great Disney and other parks want to open but they should keep all safety measures in place til at least a treatment happens.

A couple of business people I know in Florida have said to me the word privately through the grapevine is that they're shooting for Memorial Day weekend for phase 2.

The point I've been trying to make forever is that people have to make decisions for themselves. There is no perfect solution, which is why people are all over the place with the response to this. But at the same time, making everyone else stay home because a small segment of the population is "high risk" to this is simply not functional to society. But because people want to move forward doesn't mean they want to "leave behind and forget"...lets get real. My parents - both of whom would be "high risk" to this disease, based on the metrics - have said to me personally to not be afraid of coming to their home to see them, or bringing their grandkids to come see them. It would devastate them to not be able to see us or my kids, and it would devastate our kids to be able to not see grandma and grandpa. The amount of emotional devastation alone for all parties outweighs any 'risk' towards perhaps catching or transmitting a virus.

You're not going to legislate risk out of life. Every part of life involves risk. And you're not going to invent ways for people to avoid illness. This is why I've been saying we need to learn to live with this, not keep doing everything we can to avoid it. People who are "high risk" to this need to make decisions for themselves, and some of those decisions may be hard ones. Maybe they'll have to accept a level of risk to return to work. Maybe they'll need to find a different job that is lower risk to their health. Tens of millions of Americans are going to have to find new jobs out of no fault of their own from this, and they're NOT 'high risk'.

YES!!!! :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

That is exaactly what amc has said their plan is - to open a few weeks before tenent and show older popular movies to start with.

As long as they don’t gauge interest solely on how many people go see older movies. There are certain movies I’d love to see on the big screen again, or even for the first time, but im probably not going to drive 30 minutes to the nearest AMC or Regal and pay to see Avengers Endgame again. Granted, I “paid” (AMC AList) to see it 11 times in theaters last summer, and it’s one of those movies that’s better with a crowd and giants screen, but now that I have 5 different places to watch it at home, I’m not sure I’d go to see it in theaters.

But I would 100% be there opening night to see Tenant, Mulan, WW84, and New Mutants (if it doesn’t get pushed for the 373rd time)

Which brings me back to my first sentence that I hope they’re not gauging interest on people that go see older movies. Some might see older movies. Some might not even go see new movies. And some are like me that won’t see older movies, but will see new movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter