Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we would all like nothing better than to get back to our normal before the virus. What ever guidelines, restrictions Disney puts in place I am sure will be well thought out.
For my family and I it will not be enough to travel this year. I have an asthmatic son who ended up getting tested for covid 19 took a very stressfull 9 days to get results fortunately negative. Helping him stay healthy is my priority right now. We will wait till there is a proven treatment/vaccine and do our social distancing . It is what we choose to do for our family.
My hope is that all of us can get back to the place that brings us much joy and happiness safely and healthy.

In our small town, that will make not be financially viable. They will have to remain closed. They cannot pay their overhead doing that.

that is true, some restaraunts won’t be able to survive but that is going to be what it takes, better then losing all of them.

This. Restaurants are actually relatively easy to achieve social distancing in - reduce capacity by half, which means people are then easily seated 6' apart. Restaurants in many places have already done this, across the globe. For quick serve, make sure the tills open are 6' apart, and place stickers on the floor 6' apart to show where to stand. One person per group/family in line only. Staff wear masks. No cash allowed. Hand sanitizer on the tables to "wash" with before eating. Disposable utensils in plastic packaging so you know it's clean. Or, even regular silverware that's been sterilized, in wrapping so you know it's clean.
This is already being done in every essential business currently in Massachusetts. I do think we will see this continue as non essential businesses are allowed to open up, and not just in Massachusetts.

imagine 2 weeks Covid 19 quarantine one way then 2 weeks quarantine back........ that´s 2020.

My question from this: how WILL Disney achieve reducing capacity? I honestly do see them only allowing admission to on site guests only. I mean, you can't expect people to spend thousands of dollars and travel potentially thousands of miles, without there being a guarantee they get into the park that day. (Normal) people won't do it.

So my guess is, for quite a while, on site guests only will be allowed into the parks. They can track potential attendees for the day through the amount of registered hotel guests, and of course through the booking of FP+. They would obviously have to limit the amount of resort rooms allowed to be booked, which I think is in line with the speculation that only a few resorts open initially. Maybe a couple in each category?

Maybe allow the Florida resident AP holders a certain allotment, too? Or, once resort guests have met their quota, locals could show up that day and take a chance on getting in if there's extra spots? Not sure.

I'm guessing park hopping won't be allowed, since that would make it a lot harder to predict attendance at each park, and people aren't going to want to build plans around park hopping only to be told later, sorry, we're full, go somewhere else. Easier to just not allow it.

But who knows 🤷

My take away: the chance of us taking our vacation to WDW in 2021 is looking pretty slim 😢
This is kind of how I thought re-opening might go. Not sure of a date, but maybe resort guests first, expanding upon that over time, with AP having specific days or overflow spots at first. It would stink for so many, but it does make sense that they could use this for crowd control, and it guarantees they are filling up resorts to recoup some of this lost revenue also.

This is kind of how I thought re-opening might go. Not sure of a date, but maybe resort guests first, expanding upon that over time, with AP having specific days or overflow spots at first. It would stink for so many, but it does make sense that they could use this for crowd control, and it guarantees they are filling up resorts to recoup some of this lost revenue also.
This was my thinking as well. The big question is how many people is that roughly? Like the average daily attendance at MK is like 56000. How many rooms would be full? Do they run half full busses? There are about 36000 rooms on property that includes good neighbor hotels. If every room is full and an average of 4 per room that’s 144,000 people. If all those rooms are full that averages out to 36000 people per park per day if and that’s a huge if all those rooms are full and people actually descend upon WDW at the same time. I feel they could somewhat control crowds if they just do resort only guests through the summer. Let’s say half the rooms are full and thats 72000 people with 4 parks and resorts( they have to open all the parks at once cause even with free dining people paying and I don’t see them only opening a few parks) I think they could handle it. I could be totally wrong though.

You had to be booked between March 16th and May 31st. In order to receive the free dining you just need to rebook a package from June to September and have at least a two day base ticket.

I would like to think that the decision-makers put this offer out there in good faith, anticipating that all parks and resorts would be open by June 1 (though I know there has been speculation that the incentive was to get new deposit money for the interest earned, even if they have to refund deposits later). As time goes on, it seem less and less likely that WDW will be fully open by June 1. But I hope WDW leaders wouldn't knowingly dupe their customers (especially those who already had to cancel, which this offer is directed to), even if only to avoid the PR disaster that would result from closing out these folks twice. It seems like, at least as of the time this offer was first extended, they had a reasonable expectation that all resorts and parks would be open by June 1. If their intention was to reopen in phases with only select resorts or some of the parks, how could their offer include free dining when there are restaurants at all the parks and (I think) most of the resorts?

Seeing everything continue to decline, even in the hardest hit state of NY, summer is looking good still for Disney. You will see some extensions and stricter lockdowns rules in the next few days but they will be outliers and just lagging from last week from the sheer momentum of the government.

Already some state leaders are calling for the lifting of stay at home orders and that will only increase next week. Florida will be one of the first to start to open. It looks like Florida peaked 4/3 in new cases and possibly earlier with the lag of test results taking 5-7 days. May 1st might be the easiest to lift stay at home but it might be a week sooner. South Florida might be a bit longer because that is where the majority of cases are. Also the a studies going on in California theorizing that we are in the second wave already, first wave was back in November 19 and German studies are saying Europe might be closer to herd immunity than previously thought. Typically 2500-2800 people in Florida die annual of the flu. Current "models" say it will be 4300 due to covid, but that will be lowered this week, I imagine to about 2500-3000. The real amount after all said and done will be less than that.

All that said, once the data trends get even clearer next week you will see Disney start making more moves around 4/15, maybe not public but insde announcements and rumors, dates, when they will begin to unfurlough CM's (most likely in early May). Honestly there is no reason not to start bringing them back , especially non high risk people at this point. They can't and won't at this time but it will be sooner than later.

At the earliest you will see Disney Springs open mid May (maybe may 1st but that is an outside shot), if that happens July 1st open at latest for the parks. There will be some social distancing elements in place but they will be open.

IMHO they will also find out that large gatherings, concerts, sports, parks are not as much of a super spreader contagious concern as they are being made out to be. Most cases will come from close and sustained exposure to the infected person, own household, caregivers etc. Otherwise we would see reports of large #'s of cases traced from the parks and sports events and we have not seen anything of the sort.

The case and sadly death of the man that was in Disney World while highly contagious, going by some of the guidelines, should have infected tens if not hundreds of people in Disney and there is no evidence to say that happened.

Yes, you can still get infected from brief exposure but those will be the outliers and rarer. Which mean people at high risk should be careful until vaccine.

This will also allow the parks to open sooner.

Last edited:
I’ve been seeing quite a bit of theorizing about park hopping. It will be interesting to see if they don’t allow this anymore. (Or strictly limit it) I was surprised to see the “Recovery” free dining deal only requires base tickets. Perhaps that’s foretelling?
Would they refund if people already have park hoppers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter