Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use that night to go to Give Kids the World! That’s what we’re doing and honestly, it’s what I’m most excited about for this trip! My husband and I have watched all the vloggers’ videos of it, but we haven’t showed the kids. We’re hoping to keep it a surprise!
I just watched a video on youtube - thank you for the recommendation!

Just a bit of reference - and I think this is relevant to park operations during COVID - is that gloves don't provide the kind of protection many would assume. "A hand-hygiene study was conducted by the CDC and found that hand washing rates were significantly lower when gloves were worn. This is due to the fact that gloves create a false sense of cleanliness, which ultimately leads to gloves being used incorrectly and employees not washing their hands well or as often as they should." That relates specifically to food safety, but I think can be extended to other areas (like handling 3D glasses). Really, everyone just needs to be properly washing hands and using sanitizer often.

That's fair and we have been sanitizing/hand washing regularly. I think it was more watching the CM touch the lens part of it vs the ear frame that got us.

I get that gloves are a bit of illusion of safety and maybe saying gloves was a bit unnecessary but the frame is easier to wipe and not have issues vs the lens part of those glasses

That's fair and we have been sanitizing/hand washing regularly. I think it was more watching the CM touch the lens part of it vs the ear frame that got us.

I get that gloves are a bit of illusion of safety and maybe saying gloves was a bit unnecessary but the frame is easier to wipe and not have issues vs the lens part of those glasses
I usually carry a small pack of bleach wipes and/or spray Lysol, plus Kleenex. I think the biggest exception I take to someone touching the lens is not wanting to look at a giant fingerprint/smudge 😖

I usually carry a small pack of bleach wipes and/or spray Lysol, plus Kleenex. I think the biggest exception I take to someone touching the lens is not wanting to look at a giant fingerprint/smudge 😖
be careful with the Lysol spray as someone near you could have an allergy. even with 6 feet between us it would cause me to need EMTs not something I could avoid after you spray

Use that night to go to Give Kids the World! That’s what we’re doing and honestly, it’s what I’m most excited about for this trip! My husband and I have watched all the vloggers’ videos of it, but we haven’t showed the kids. We’re hoping to keep it a surprise!
This is what I keep telling folks disappointed about no nighttime spectaculars. Take an Uber or taxi over the GKTW (it’s really not that far) and see their display. And it goes to charity.

They interviewed the CEO of GKTW this week on our local television station; Pam said that weekends are all sold out (I haven't confirmed this). We already purchased our tickets last week and are looking forward to our visit (with the included ice cream and hot chocolate).

Its just about where people can go. Math doesnt.factor in human behavior and habit. There is no one in their right mind who can think its "safe" right now. It was my first trip (and probably last trip) down until things normalize. What I realized yesterday is that without entertainment and shows eating up crowds, people just gravitate towards the usual choke points. Someone isnt now all of a sudden hanging out on a random walkway by a closed snack cart or gift shop so they can be socially distant, they want something to do.

Heck, even before the line started forming for the emporium at night, it was extremely uncomfortable in there. Im shocked management hasnt done anything about it for the safety of their staff and guests.

There are basically 2 solutions...drop your crowds, or open up everything non parade/fireworks and eat those costs.
I am going to disagree with you here. We were there Nov 6-10 and felt perfectly safe. If we were approaching an area that felt too crowded, we avoided it and went a different direction. We were at each park before it opened and got a couple headliners in before the parks opened each day which took the pressure off the rest of the day. I really think everyone has a different perspective on what crowded is and a different tolerance for being around others. It is clear that you were not comfortable but to say that no one in their right mind would think it is safe is simply an incorrect statement.

They interviewed the CEO of GKTW this week on our local television station; Pam said that weekends are all sold out (I haven't confirmed this). We already purchased our tickets last week and are looking forward to our visit (with the included ice cream and hot chocolate).
I was just checking their website and they said they added additional availability for all dates and now there are no sold out dates or times. So it’s a great time to get tickets!

In regards to Disneyland. Disney would never do it, but threatening to completely move Disneyland to another state would get them opened right up. Tesla and Elon Musk did that.

Would never happen though, as that money needed for that would be enormous, but I find it hard to believe that Disney won't remember that California was the only place who wouldn't allow them to open. Only question is, what can they actually do to the government of California that wouldn't affect Disneys own bottom line

In regards to Disneyland. Disney would never do it, but threatening to completely move Disneyland to another state would get them opened right up. Tesla and Elon Musk did that.

Would never happen though, as that money needed for that would be enormous, but I find it hard to believe that Disney won't remember that California was the only place who wouldn't allow them to open. Only question is, what can they actually do to the government of California that wouldn't affect Disneys own bottom line
That’s not possible to do.

I am going to disagree with you here. We were there Nov 6-10 and felt perfectly safe. If we were approaching an area that felt too crowded, we avoided it and went a different direction. We were at each park before it opened and got a couple headliners in before the parks opened each day which took the pressure off the rest of the day. I really think everyone has a different perspective on what crowded is and a different tolerance for being around others. It is clear that you were not comfortable but to say that no one in their right mind would think it is safe is simply an incorrect statement.

Science would tend to agree with me.

You sure?

It might take about 7 years to get from California to where they’re moving, but that’s about the time it takes to build a parking garage, so Disney fans expect the long timelines
Yeah, I’m sure. Moving one building a few blocks is different from moving a giant theme park.

Yeah, I’m sure. Moving one building a few blocks is different from moving a giant theme park.
Entire theme parks have been relocated before. A park is just a collection of buildings and rides. They wouldn’t have to move every building and rides are moved quite frequently. Certainly a large scale project but not impossible at all. There is basically no chance that Disney would even consider it though.

Entire theme parks have been relocated before. A park is just a collection of buildings and rides. They wouldn’t have to move every building and rides are moved quite frequently. Certainly a large scale project but not impossible at all. There is basically no chance that Disney would even consider it though.

If you think people were up in arms about entertainment being cut, even possibly temporarily, I don’t want to see what people would do if it were a serious idea that Disney not only would move Walts baby from its original location, but also leave behind some buildings. I might give up being a Disney fan. Not out of anger, but because I wouldn’t want to listen to those comments

How do you move the Matterhorn? How about the dark rides that were built in the 1950s and 1960s? It’s basically impossible and would be an incredibly short sided decision considering Disneyland will likely reopen in the next year or so.

Picturing the Matterhorn going on a road trip again! My personal favourite direction this thread goes in.

I will once again offer up anywhere in Canada Disney chooses for Disneyland’s new home. Not having to have my heart broken over and over by the exchange rates would be fantastic.

How do you move the Matterhorn? How about the dark rides that were built in the 1950s and 1960s? It’s basically impossible and would be an incredibly short sided decision considering Disneyland will likely reopen in the next year or so.
Not saying they should consider it. But larger and older buildings than the Matterhorn have been moved. Certainly not an easy or cheap task.

Wikipedia said:
There are two main ways for a structure to be moved: disassembling and then reassembling it at the required destination, or transporting it whole. For the latter, the building is first raised and then may be pushed on temporary rails or dollies if the distance is short. Otherwise, wheels, such as flatbed trucks, are used. These moves can be complicated and require the removal of protruding parts of the building, such as the chimney, as well as obstacles along the journey, such as overhead cables and trees.

I think what the people in California should fear is a real lack of investment in theme parks located in the state going forward. The parks aren’t going to move, but how much money are operators going to be willing to dump into them going forward? If you were Chapek do you really want to invest heavily in new projects for a park that could be shutdown for a year again 24-36 months from now if this virus mutates and any vaccine becomes ineffective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter