Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
PR is why I feel Disney's park capacity is going to be even lower than what people are expecting. If parks open to extremely low capacity, with everyone social distancing and wearing masks etc---and Disney shows they can pave the way with public health and safety showing that we can live in the days of this new way of living in this new Normal...etc...
@yulilin3 IIRC still said to expect 90 minute waits for popular attractions even with decreased capacities :(

Is there rumors about when the California Grill might reopen. We just changed our resort from Boardwalk Inn to Contemporary for August and was hoping to eat there if it was open.
Been trying to nail down an answer on this. CMs for both locations were notified of their call backs in mid/late June, but we haven’t heard anything since. I *think* they’re supposed to officially be back at work on Monday, so we might get a better sense of if/when those locations could reopen then. Usually, a call back doesn’t necessarily mean that location will reopen, but Chef Mickey’s CMs were explicitly told that the restaurant would be shifting to family-style. I’ll report back if I can get a better answer.

@yulilin3 IIRC still said to expect 90 minute waits for popular attractions even with decreased capacities :(
I think that might need to be expected with the cleaning between certain rides and everyone standing a certain amount of space apart, ride breakdowns etc...but at least I'll be at Disney:)

ETA: I'm the first to admit...I'm a dork, and don't know anything:)

Been trying to nail down an answer on this. CMs for both locations were notified of their call backs in mid/late June, but we haven’t heard anything since. I *think* they’re supposed to officially be back at work on Monday, so we might get a better sense of if/when those locations could reopen then. Usually, a call back doesn’t necessarily mean that location will reopen, but Chef Mickey’s CMs were explicitly told that the restaurant would be shifting to family-style. I’ll report back if I can get a better answer.
Do we know officially that Chef Mickey's will be opening and if so, when?

Thank you for sharing with us!

I was wondering what happened to Chef Mickey’s. I knew I read it was supposed to be family style.

It's a personal feeling, not based on anything I've heard. As far as I know, it's full speed ahead towards 7/11, but like I said, that kind of decision would be made at such a high-level that very few would have any sort of advance notice for it. At the end of the day, the whole reopening thing boils down to a PR problem, and let's be honest, Disney cares a lot about PR and perception. I'm not going to get into the case numbers argument and rehash what has been discussed at length here, but knowing how Team Disney Burbank thinks, I'd imagine they're worried about the disproportionate level of attention (and potentially criticism) they're going to receive, especially if something doesn't go as planned. It's a logistics vs. PR debate, and I don't know who comes out on top. Trust me, I really want them to reopen 7/11, as I have reservations for opening weekend. I hope they do, and I think they'll do everything in their power to make it safe, but I think it could go either way at this point. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here’s the thing, If they delay reopening, then how do they justify opening until their is a proven vaccine or until COVID 19 is a thing of the past. Nobody knows for sure when this will happen.

I’ve felt all along based on posts by some of the insiders on this board that their plan was to reopen in such a way that they minimized risks for an outbreak at WDW while COVID was still active. Granted, numbers are spiking right now but if they drop by 50-75% in a month or so, is there any reason to believe they wouldn’t spike again once Disney opens if they do not have appropriate safeguards in place?

If they decide to delay reopening, I think they are facing a situation of not opening until 2021 at the soonest as this is the earliest date that a vaccine may be available.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing, I’d they delay reopening, then how do they justify opening until their is a proven vaccine or until COVID 19 is a thing of the past. Nobody knows for sure when this will happen.

I’ve felt all along based on posts by some of the insiders on this board that their plan was to reopen on such a way that they minimized risks for an outbreak at WDW while COVID was still active. Granted, numbers are spiking right now but if they drop by 50-75% in a month or so, is there any reason to believe they wouldn’t spike again once Disney opens if they do not have appropriate safeguards in place?

If they decide to delay reopening, I think they are facing a situation of not opening until 2021 at the soonest as this is the earliest date that a vaccine may be available.
I don’t disagree, and I know they absolutely have been planning to make WDW as “closure-proof” as possible, but like I said, there are multiple factors to consider here. I don’t think they thought the window for reopening with limited public pushback would be as short as it ultimately turned out to be, so that has complicated the matter. Because there are so many factors, I don’t think any of us can say Disney will for sure go one way or the other (hence my 50-50 assessment). That’s all I’m going to say on this in the interest of keeping this thread as on-topic as possible.

Thanks for the idea of cutting off the scarf part of these! It never would have occurred to un-crafty me and I loathe that thing hanging around my neck!

Sometime back someone posted a link for masks made out of a chiffon type material that had an extension piece of material that covers your neck and chest. I bought some and cut the extension part off so they are just the mask part left. I live in Arkansas. Currently 94 degrees and 50% humidity so feels like 102. We just spend 4 hours at the zoo and tried them out to practice for our Disney trip in 11 days. They were fantastic. My kids are ages 5, 8, and 10. Kept them on the whole time no problem and no complaints. Highly recommend if you have kids you are concerned about with mask compliance! Search for chiffon silk mask neck gaiter. If your kids are smaller, be sure and get the kind with the adjustable ear loops.

Here’s the thing, I’d they delay reopening, then how do they justify opening until their is a proven vaccine or until COVID 19 is a thing of the past. Nobody knows for sure when this will happen.

I’ve felt all along based on posts by some of the insiders on this board that their plan was to reopen on such a way that they minimized risks for an outbreak at WDW while COVID was still active. Granted, numbers are spiking right now but if they drop by 50-75% in a month or so, is there any reason to believe they wouldn’t spike again once Disney opens if they do not have appropriate safeguards in place?

For me it’s pretty simple, you put in measures that we know work like social distancing and masking and then as the number of new cases and prevalence of disease declines, you cautiously open things back up. In that model there is a point at which you roll the dice and open up things like theme parks. Based on the current situation, Florida is clearly not at that point.

Thanks for the idea of cutting off the scarf part of these! It never would have occurred to un-crafty me and I loathe that thing hanging around my neck!
I bought the same ones and cut off the scarf-hangy thing and they're really comfortable. I wore one to run my errands yesterday and it was over 90 degrees where I live. They were super comfortable.

Sorry if this isn’t allowedView attachment 506238

Well that’s an easy one to claim insider knowledge. lol The real proof would’ve been if it had been a closure. But notice, he hedged it with saying things could change, I liken it to a fortune teller - just enough info to make them sound like they know, general enough that anyone could make the prediction. lol

Well that’s an easy one to claim insider knowledge. lol The real proof would’ve been if it had been a closure. But notice, he hedged it with saying things could change, I liken it to a fortune teller - just enough info to make them sound like they know, general enough that anyone could make the prediction. lol
Exactly how I feel they are all in right now imo no way they aren’t going to open they spent way too much time and effort and money and would have to forlough everyone again.

Or one won’t ever be available, and it’s highly likely one won’t be nearly 100 percent effective. If over 50 percent said they wouldn’t take it anyway, due to it being new. Then what? Are we gonna not let people into Disney if they haven’t received a shot? Even the flu shot is around 40 - 60 something percent effective depending on the year. To me a vaccine is not the end all be all sadly.

Its not plausable. It’s not sustainable. Disney will open, they were take their precautions. People going know there is a risk, and they will take it.

I see Disney being very successful when they open personally.

Disney could lose everything staying closed til next year. They won’t do that.

I’ll probably go back next Spring or this holiday season. Let’s see how the openings go and how safe people are

Last edited:
I have a few and like them except for the sweaty neck issue. Does the material run after cutting?

I bought the same ones and cut off the scarf-hangy thing and they're really comfortable. I wore one to run my errands yesterday and it was over 90 degrees where I live. They were super comfortable.

He conveniently did this on the Friday before previews right before the stock market closed. If something was announced, he’s gold. If not, he could cover.

🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter