cross stitch question

ohiominnie said:
I am spoiled. My dad made something for me about 10 yrs ago that I LOVE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

ANother plus....because my one hand isn't busy holding fabric or hoops or Q-snaps, I work two handed....one hand under, one hand over and it goes twice as fast. Took a bit to get used to it, but now my shoulder isn't so sore anymore from those huge swinging motions!

My grandmother gave me a q-snap a few years ago and it works pretty well. I bought one of the scroll frames from Michaels a few weeks ago and I do not like it. It doesn't stay tight enough to keep the fabric taut. I may ask DH to modify it but I think I may go to a speciality shop in the area to get something better.

Ohiominnie,
I love the frame your Dad made. Are the rods that hold the fabric split?

ohiominnie said:
ANother plus....because my one hand isn't busy holding fabric or hoops or Q-snaps, I work two handed....one hand under, one hand over and it goes twice as fast. Took a bit to get used to it, but now my shoulder isn't so sore anymore from those huge swinging motions!

Funny you should mention this...I had to get a much bigger frame and a stand for the next project I got lined up (the Past, Present, and Forever stitch, it's 18x24) and I'm gonna have to learn to two-hand it. But I'm really looking forward to doing it this way because when I stitch on a regular basis, my left arm becomes quite visibility smaller than my right one (almost an inch difference in the two and it's really funny looking!) and I'm hoping that two-handing it will prevent such a drastic difference in my arms!

That is a neat set up you got there! You are lucky.

BernardandMissBianca said:
Ohiominnie,
I love the frame your Dad made. Are the rods that hold the fabric split?

Nope. They aren't split. I've had split ones but could never get my fabric on tight enough or straight enough. I use masking tape to attach them. :)

kelleigh1 said:
OH I would love something like that.

Maybe I should talk my dad into going back into the craft show circuit! :) But he should ONLY make lap frames....none of his other stuff. (any excuse for me to sit and stitch for that long is good!)

So with the q snap do you need to buy one that is as big as your project?

Keebles said:
I had to get a much bigger frame and a stand for the next project I got lined up (the Past, Present, and Forever stitch, it's 18x24)

Isn't that sucker huge!! My mom just bought one for me when she was down at WDW last week. I opened it and wow, its big!!!

dreams91 said:
So with the q snap do you need to buy one that is as big as your project?
They have different sizes, They also have extenders (not sure how they work but I did see them online and read about them) so you can adapt a size if you need it.

I just bought an 8x8 and an 11x11 at Joann's online. I had to buy 1 thing of floss for 69cents to get my total to $25 for the free shipping. Not to shabby. It should be here next week, I can't wait to try it.

My in laws bought me a set of scroll bars in different sizes for Christmas. I love them. It makes it easy to move the fabric around and you don't get the creases in the fabric that hoops leave. My Mom made me covers for the scrolls bars that loop over the knobs. That way I don't have to touch the fabric to avoid getting oils on it.

I don't use any extra light sources but I do need one because my husband hates the overhead lights on in the basement and there isn't a table lamp beside the couch I usually sit on.

I started out years ago using a hoop, then eventually gave up the hoop and started just holding the cloth in hand, cause most pieces I've done are 15x18 and smaller. I started using the qsnaps about a year or 2 ago and I just love them.

I did just recently buy myself one of those fancy floor lamps cause I got tired of sitting under a regular torche lamp and having my head get so hot from the heat of the bulbs that I swore it was burning my brain... :rotfl2:

I have always used a hoop, but now looking at what everyone else uses, I may need to switch to something else.

I really would like something that holds the fabric itself so you can do it 2 handed, boy that would make things go much faster and your poor arm wouldn't get so sore.

Keebles: I hate those hanging sides to...they always get tangled in your thread when it is really long :sad2:

Cherie,

Forgot to say that qsnaps come in different sizes. There is an 8x8 square set, an 11x17 I believe and a huge floor model for doing really big pieces. I have a couple of each sizes except the floor model and I just putting them all together to make whatever size I need at the time. If you want to come over and try mine out, you're welcome to. I'll leave the light on for ya... :surfweb:

Based upon the recommendatons here, I ended up getting the q snap. I love it!!! Can't believe I went without it for so long. I tried a generic one and it didn't work so well.

WooHoo... :cool1:

I'm proud of you and I had no doubt that you'd like them. They are wonderful and my only complaint is that I didnt think of them first... :lmao:

Welcome to the qsnaps club... :cool1:

Always. I have a frame for the larger ones and various hoops for the smaller ones. The tension and result are SO much better. The only things I don't use them for is when I'm using waste canvas as I'm frightened of stretching the fabric out of shape.

Hi...I'm cherie', :wave: I am new to this forum. I read your quesiton and thought I'd jump in too.

I don't use anything. I started just holding my work in my hand a few years ago. I have found it to be much easier and faster to stitch.

I have a specail craft lamy my DH bought me at Jo Ann Fabrics, it is floor lamp with a magnigying glass attached to it. I LOVE my lamp!! I can't stitch without it. Even when I stitch on 14 or 16 or 18 cnt aida I use it. Boy does my stiching spead increase with it.

Brutie said:
Cherie,

Forgot to say that qsnaps come in different sizes. There is an 8x8 square set, an 11x17 I believe and a huge floor model for doing really big pieces. I have a couple of each sizes except the floor model and I just putting them all together to make whatever size I need at the time. If you want to come over and try mine out, you're welcome to. I'll leave the light on for ya... :surfweb:

So, you use a smaller one on a larger project? Like, could I use the 11x17 on a project that is 20x18? (or something like that)

I've always just held my cloth in my hand to stitch and used two hands. I didn't know there was any other way to do it till my grandmother asked me about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter