cross stitch question

dreams91

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=teal>Loves to veg o
When you cross stitch, do you use a hoop or what to hold your work? I've seen many set ups and wondering which you like best.

Also, do you use any special lighting?

I have always used a hoop. I do use a magnifier that is a long plastic piece that has a red line thru the middle of it so that I can keep track of the pattern better.

I've been doing x-stitch forever! I have tried not using a hoop, but I can't get the tension of the stitches uniform. Plus it cramped my fingers. I use a 6-inch spring hoop most of the time.

I should probably get on of those special lights they have a Jo-Ann's, but I haven't. I'm in my mid 40's and my eyes are starting to go! I've always been far sighted, but latley everything within 2 feet of my face looks fuzzy! Time for new glasses. The only time I really could use a good light is when I have to sort shades of floss (from a kit).

We were at DTD earlier this month and I got a Tink x-stitch kit. Haven't gotten too far with it, but I've been preping crafts for my dd school's FFN tomorrow. Then I can get a chance to do it!

I always use a hoop. For extra light, I often put my little Ott light on the table next to me while I stitch. :)

I have used a hoop too. I probably should buy a new one. Mine is older and wooden and I am constantly having to pull the fabric to make it tight again.

Does anyone recommend a good kind of hoop? Wood, circle, etc.

I've been using a quilting frame that is now made smaller for cross stitch. I found one years ago at a specialty shop but they are now available at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. They are square and the sides fit over the frame (if that makes any sense). They don't leave marks on the fabric like hoops and they seem to hold it better without constant tightening. They come in lots of sizes.

I have always used a hoop. Just finished DD's stocking on navy blue 22 count and needed to have extra light for that. Looks great, but I am never doing 22 count again!!!

Looks like I am in the minority...I just hold it in my hands. I tried so many different kinds of hoops and never liked any of them. So far I haven't had to use any special kind of lighting but I am sure with my eyes changing that will change too. I need to breakout my cross stitch again, it has been about a year since I touched it.

I used to use a hoop, an old one of my Mom's she purchased in the 70s. It broke and I was very sad. I purchased new hoops, but didn't find one I liked, they would always pop off the fabric. I did one project without a hoop, and that was a pain, my hands cramped. Now I use a scroll frame. The one I have isn't the best, but the dowel is long enough that it will hold the Art of Disney fabric. I've seen nicer ones at JoAnns and Michaels but they only stock an 18" dowel, which won't cut it.

I only use hoops if it's a small project and I don't like using them then! I prefer the bar frames. I can get more tension, more of a surface to work with and no hanging sides. I hate hanging sides!

Bildmouse said:
I've been using a quilting frame that is now made smaller for cross stitch. I found one years ago at a specialty shop but they are now available at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. They are square and the sides fit over the frame (if that makes any sense). They don't leave marks on the fabric like hoops and they seem to hold it better without constant tightening. They come in lots of sizes.

I too use the quilting frame....I like that I can work a bigger area without having to move the frame.

hopemax said:
I used to use a hoop, an old one of my Mom's she purchased in the 70s. It broke and I was very sad. I purchased new hoops, but didn't find one I liked, they would always pop off the fabric. I did one project without a hoop, and that was a pain, my hands cramped. Now I use a scroll frame. The one I have isn't the best, but the dowel is long enough that it will hold the Art of Disney fabric. I've seen nicer ones at JoAnns and Michaels but they only stock an 18" dowel, which won't cut it.

So doesn't the scroll frame get hard to hold onto? Seems like it would get heavy. :confused3

I'm tired of my hoop and am looking for better options but didn't want to fork out the money until I see what others like. :thumbsup2

Bildmouse said:

Is there a pic on the internet of something like it that you can show us? I'm really looking for somethig better than the hoop I'm using. Thanks. ;)

So doesn't the scroll frame get hard to hold onto? Seems like it would get heavy

I've been using it so long now, that I don't notice it.

And I tend to hold it vertically, so the bottom spacer bar rests on my lap, and the dowels rest on my arms, leaving both my hands free. Or, if you don't mind the expense, you can get either a lap or floor stand. But that seems like overkill.

JoAnns and Michaels carry them in the $25 range. With a 40% off coupon that isn't that expensive (although more than a hoop). I've had my frame for at least 12 years now, so it will last.

that's the name of the product the other posters are talking about. I have been using them for at least 10 years on my cross stitch & love them! You can get differnet sizes to fit different projects. I have one on my current project Disney's "Puppy Love", I find it so easy to work with.

You can find them in mst craft stores & I know on Joann's website if you type in Q-snap frame.

Paula

psammie1025 said:
that's the name of the product the other posters are talking about. I have been using them for at least 10 years on my cross stitch & love them! You can get differnet sizes to fit different projects. I have one on my current project Disney's "Puppy Love", I find it so easy to work with.

You can find them in mst craft stores & I know on Joann's website if you type in Q-snap frame.

Paula

What size do you use for most projects?

I've never used a hoop or special lighting. Of course as I get older, I might need some extra lighting, but I hope that is still a ways off.

And just today I bought a couple of Disney cross-stitch books. I may spend the summer making all kinds of fun things to possibly sell on ebay or elsewhere to make some money for the holidays. The books were Pooh, Princesses and then one different movie classics (Peter Pan, Dumbo, etc.).

I am spoiled. My dad made something for me about 10 yrs ago that I LOVE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

It is a scroll bar system, but it comes with a stand and a "paddle" that you put under your thigh so that it holds your scroll bars up. He even made a chart holder with me, but I work in my glider and when I rock, my chart blows over, so I don't use it much anymore. After I found Q-snaps, he made me a Q-snap converter, so now when I travel and just take my Q-snap, I don't have to convert it back to a regular scroll bar to work on it at home.

He used to do the craft show circuit (he also made wood toys and furniture) and I used to sit and stitch for 8-10 hours to show off his lapframe. Most times he sold out of them and for years ppl would come back to his booth and tell him how much they LOVED it!

Especially when I had little kids and didn't know if I'd have 10 minutes to stitch or an hour....this made it quick to pick up and work on even for short periods. And if I left it for a long time, I didn't get hoop lines on it. LOVE this thing....can you tell? :)

Just recently at piano lessons another mom came in and saw me working on it and HAD to know where I got it. I told her my dad made it. Then I had to call my dad and see if he still had one. Still did (although he stole parts from my ds's future wife's set--he's 9!) so she bought one on the spot! :)

Here's a picture of it, if you can tell what it is. It kinda blends in with the wood of my glider a bit.

IMG_2659.jpg

As for extra lighting, I do have an OTT light that I use when I work in the sun room in the evenings. We only have soft "mood" lighting in there and it is NOT conducive to stitching! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter