cross stitch question

Hi teacher, nice to meet you. I was wondering? How do YOU hold your materials when stitching? I roll my material all the way up to the area I am stitching with my left hand and stitch w my right.

StitchNTime said:
Hi teacher, nice to meet you. I was wondering? How do YOU hold your materials when stitching? I roll my material all the way up to the area I am stitching with my left hand and stitch w my right.

I roll my material to where I'm stitching and alternate hands. It's hard to describe. I push the needle with my left hand and pull through to the bottom with my right. Then push up from the bottom with my right and finish the stitch with my left. So I'm alternately holding the material with each hand. Sorry it's not very clear. Like I said, I never knew it was the "wrong" way until my grandmother said something.

I can't stitch with just one hand at all. It feels like I'm taking forever and it's awkward.

teacherforhi said:
I can't stitch with just one hand at all. It feels like I'm taking forever and it's awkward.

It feels weird for me too. That's why I like the stand my dad made me so much. So easy to stitch two handed!!! My shoulder gets too sore doing it the "right" way. :)

Hi Ladies! I plan on starting an Art of Disney pattern soon. I've never done one so large before!! What size Qsnap do you suggest for it? I've never used one of those either. I've stitched plenty (learned from my mom :p ), just always stitched smaller patterns and used hoops. Using a Qsnap will be a first for me.

Also, I wanted to get the Cinderella Castle pattern, but when I called Stoney Creek they said they don't carry it anymore. :guilty: Do you know of any other place I could get it? I think I'll buy the Happiest Celebration on Earth if I still can't find Cinderella Castle in the next couple of days.

Also, do you recommend changing out the cloth and using something different than whats provided? If so, why?

TIA! :Pinkbounc
I'm so excited about starting one of these!!

Ashley80 said:
Also, I wanted to get the Cinderella Castle pattern, but when I called Stoney Creek they said they don't carry it anymore. :guilty: Do you know of any other place I could get it? I think I'll buy the Happiest Celebration on Earth if I still can't find Cinderella Castle in the next couple of days.

Also, do you recommend changing out the cloth and using something different than whats provided? If so, why?

Wish I could help you find the castle pattern. I have mine 1/2 done. I can't work on it exclusively. I must work on it for a couple of weeks, then put it away for awhile. :)

I did NOT change the cloth for the castle, but after I was 1/4 of the way done I had wished I had. I am not a big Aida fan. I like the look and feel of evenweaves or linen. Plus it makes 1/4 stitches so much easier than poking through that tough Aida. Personally, if I had to start it over again, I'd switch to an evenweave or a linen in the same basic color.

I learned my lesson though. Just finished a Suzy Zoo cross stitch for my neighbor's new baby and I switched that to a 28 ct fabric instead of the 14 ct Aida that the kit provided.

If you're used to linens or evenweaves, then it won't be too hard to switch. :)

HTH

ohiominnie said:
Wish I could help you find the castle pattern. I have mine 1/2 done. I can't work on it exclusively. I must work on it for a couple of weeks, then put it away for awhile. :)

I did NOT change the cloth for the castle, but after I was 1/4 of the way done I had wished I had. I am not a big Aida fan. I like the look and feel of evenweaves or linen. Plus it makes 1/4 stitches so much easier than poking through that tough Aida. Personally, if I had to start it over again, I'd switch to an evenweave or a linen in the same basic color.

I learned my lesson though. Just finished a Suzy Zoo cross stitch for my neighbor's new baby and I switched that to a 28 ct fabric instead of the 14 ct Aida that the kit provided.

If you're used to linens or evenweaves, then it won't be too hard to switch. :)

HTH

Can the evenweaves be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? What thread count would you recommend? Should I change the count?

Ashley80 said:
Can the evenweaves be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? What thread count would you recommend? Should I change the count?

Yes, but the selection and colors are usually very limited. Do you have a local cross stitch store near you? I'd stick with 28 count just because the kit probably comes with 14 ct. Aida....that way when you stitch over 2 on the 28, you're getting a finished picture that is the same size as intended.

Have you stitched on something other than Aida before?

No, only Aida I believe. :blush: I've been reading about evenweave and I didn't realize that you stitch differently with that material. I'm starting to think I should probably stick with Aida rather than learning something new on such a huge pattern. I would NOT want to mess it up!! Plus this is something I want to keep and look nice.

Ashley80 said:
No, only Aida I believe. :blush: I've been reading about evenweave and I didn't realize that you stitch differently with that material. I'm starting to think I should probably stick with Aida rather than learning something new on such a huge pattern. I would NOT want to mess it up!! Plus this is something I want to keep and look nice.

It's not too hard to learn. I forced myself to learn b/c I wanted to stitch a large angel pattern by Lavendar and Lace for my friend's whose baby died when he was 3 days old (heart defect) and I just knew it would be lovely on linen rather than Aida. But I didn't start stitching her until I stitched a smaller project on a similar fabric so I could practice and not goof up the big thing (I had your exact same thoughts)

Once I got the smaller one done sucessfully, I did the angel and it was just beautiful!!

The thing, IMHO, that makes stitching on evenweaves and especially linens so nice is that it looks like you stitched it on real fabric rather than stitched it on something that is made for cross stitch. I still do some things on Aida when I think the look would fit that better (i.e. an OSU Buckeye logo)

Holler if you have any other questions. :)

ohiominnie said:
It's not too hard to learn. I forced myself to learn b/c I wanted to stitch a large angel pattern by Lavendar and Lace for my friend's whose baby died when he was 3 days old (heart defect) and I just knew it would be lovely on linen rather than Aida. But I didn't start stitching her until I stitched a smaller project on a similar fabric so I could practice and not goof up the big thing (I had your exact same thoughts)

Once I got the smaller one done sucessfully, I did the angel and it was just beautiful!!

The thing, IMHO, that makes stitching on evenweaves and especially linens so nice is that it looks like you stitched it on real fabric rather than stitched it on something that is made for cross stitch. I still do some things on Aida when I think the look would fit that better (i.e. an OSU Buckeye logo)

Holler if you have any other questions. :)

I bet it looks wonderful! So sad though :sad1: I think I'll take your advise (even though waiting is going to kill me!!) and do something smaller on the evenweave first. I bought a Disney character book and should be getting it in the mail in the next couple of days. I'll practice with one of those until I get the hang of it.

Thanks so much for all the info! :goodvibes Now I just have to try to find that Cinderella Castle kit!!! Happiest Celebration will have to work for now though. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter