Crazy to try driving????

mort1331

DIS Veteran
So heading down for our first trip to DL and California. We are booked into the GCH for the week. Land on the saturday at 1pm. Sunday is the CHOC walk so thinking about avoiding the day there. Since we need to get the hotel and taking sunday off how bad is self driving? We are thinking about driving to the beach and the wife wants pics with the Hollywood sign. Driving on the Sunday could it be that bad. We are from the Toronto area in Canada, and its busy but I dont mind the traffic there.
If yes how is the car rentals at LAX? hard to find?
Thanks

Driving is driving. Give yourself time, have a navigator who navigates and a driver who does what the navigator says, and be alert. Have navigation apps.

Lax rentals are alloffsite, so you follow the signs to the rental car shuttle area and wait for your company’s shuttle bus to come by, and hope it isn’t full (they don’t stop when they are full). Get to the correct lot, ask an employee what the procedure is, get your car.

LAX rentals won't be a problem, but if you only want a car for the one day, why not considered renting somewhere near the GCH? You can generally pick up a 24 hour rental for around $25.00 or so and many of them offer to pick you up and drop you off after the rental. Alamo is right in the PPH, I'd start with them. Parking at the Grand is either $20 or $30 per night so a weeks worth of parking a rental + rental fee for just one day's touring isn't something I'd do.

If it were me, I'd Uber/Lyft to and from the airport (around $100 round trip UberX, no surge) and rent a car for the day (say $40.00 est). Even if you had to park it over night at $20.00 self parking, that's still going to be less than renting a car for the entire week + parking fees.

Rental 7 days lowball estimate $180.00, self parking 7 days $140.00 =$320.00
UberX $100.00, one day rental $40.00, 1 day self parking $20.00 = $160.00

I don't love driving in LA (even though I grew up there) but its not that bad. I do want to point out that beach and Hollywood sign aren't really in the same direction from DLR. You could certainly make a route that will take you both places in one day but you're going to spend a lot of time in the car.

ps- thanks for mentioning the CHOC walk! I already have a trip planned with DD9 for that weekend and forgot about the walk. But we're going to embrace it and participate in the walk and now I was able to book GCH for $289/night as a CHOC walker!

Last edited:
Well, I live about 13 miles from Disneyland, so I would say it isn't an issue for driving....lol

That being said, if you are only going to want the car for a day, or really for part of a day, rent near the Grand, there are even a couple of car companies that will bring the rental to you, I forget which ones though and they will pick it up when you are done.

Alternatively, Lyft works well out here. Uber is popular, but I find Lyfts drivers are friendlier. Then there are the car sharing companies where you rent the car by the hour, but you would have to find a way to get to wherever their car is.

If you rent a car for the whole time, you will have to pay to park it and since it sounds like you would only want a part of a day, I would just rent for the part of the day, then you won't have to pay for parking at the hotel at all.

Personally, I would go for the beach and not the sign, but definitely ouck a beach that isn't touristy, it will save you a lot of headaches.

LAX rentals won't be a problem, but if you only want a car for the one day, why not considered renting somewhere near the GCH? You can generally pick up a 24 hour rental for around $25.00 or so and many of them offer to pick you up and drop you off after the rental. Alamo is right in the PPH, I'd start with them. Parking at the Grand is either $20 or $30 per night so a weeks worth of parking a rental + rental fee for just one day's touring isn't something I'd do.

If it were me, I'd Uber/Lyft to and from the airport (around $100 round trip UberX, no surge) and rent a car for the day (say $40.00 est). Even if you had to park it over night at $20.00 self parking, that's still going to be less than renting a car for the entire week + parking fees.

Rental 7 days lowball estimate $180.00, self parking 7 days $140.00 =$320.00
UberX $100.00, one day rental $40.00, 1 day self parking $20.00 = $160.00

Well, I live about 13 miles from Disneyland, so I would say it isn't an issue for driving....lol

That being said, if you are only going to want the car for a day, or really for part of a day, rent near the Grand, there are even a couple of car companies that will bring the rental to you, I forget which ones though and they will pick it up when you are done.

Alternatively, Lyft works well out here. Uber is popular, but I find Lyfts drivers are friendlier. Then there are the car sharing companies where you rent the car by the hour, but you would have to find a way to get to wherever their car is.

If you rent a car for the whole time, you will have to pay to park it and since it sounds like you would only want a part of a day, I would just rent for the part of the day, then you won't have to pay for parking at the hotel at all.

Personally, I would go for the beach and not the sign, but definitely ouck a beach that isn't touristy, it will save you a lot of headaches.
Thanks to both, the reason I was renting is looking like I can get a car for the sat to mon for 120usd. We have free parking with dvc so dont need to worry about that. Looking at driving to hotel, check it out for the day, then sunday morning head up to the sign area, and wife looked at santa monica pier.
Used to being in the car for view hours and being a tourist.

LA driving on a Sunday isn't too bad. I've lived there for the past five years. I think your best place to get pics of/with the Hollywood sign is in Bronson Canyon. Very easy to get to. Once you park, you walk'll up a small hill (1/4 mile, perhaps) and then hike up (one minute) to the top of the hill to the left of the batcave (from the original 1966 TV series -- to the left as you look at it). That'll get you considerably closer than Griffith Observatory. There are a lot fewer people there as well and parking is a breeze.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...f267f433e0565!8m2!3d34.1213309!4d-118.3143371

Also, since you'll be in the area, UCB (Upright Citizens Brigade) is pretty close -- perhaps two miles, at most. On Sundays they do a free improv comedy show at the Sunset theater (there are two theaters in LA, one on Franklin, one on Sunset). It's their signature show -- ASSSSCAT. It's phenomenal and highly recommended. The Saturday ASSSSCAT at Franklin is sold out weeks in advance. The Sunday one at Sunset starts at 7:00 but since it's popular (and free), I suggest getting in line no later than 5:00. If you're much later, you're likely to be turned away. Many people are -- sometimes even more than are allowed inside. I've been dozens of times and it's always a blast. Celebrity guests are common and performers are ones you may recognize from Silicon Valley and other shows.

Incidentally, my last girlfriend is from the Toronto area. Are you familiar with Dundas near Hamilton?

Hope this helps!

Thanks to both, the reason I was renting is looking like I can get a car for the sat to mon for 120usd. We have free parking with dvc so dont need to worry about that. Looking at driving to hotel, check it out for the day, then sunday morning head up to the sign area, and wife looked at santa monica pier.
Used to being in the car for view hours and being a tourist.
I know you probably know, but for others, keep in mind you only get free parking when paying with points or if you booked a cash reservation with member services. If you booked independently, you will not get free parking, even as a DVC member.

LA driving on a Sunday isn't too bad. I've lived there for the past five years. I think your best place to get pics of/with the Hollywood sign is in Bronson Canyon. Very easy to get to. Once you park, you walk'll up a small hill (1/4 mile, perhaps) and then hike up (one minute) to the top of the hill to the left of the batcave (from the original 1966 TV series -- to the left as you look at it). That'll get you considerably closer than Griffith Observatory. There are a lot fewer people there as well and parking is a breeze.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bronson+Canyon+/+Caves/@34.1213309,-118.3143371,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5e7f267f433e0565!8m2!3d34.1213309!4d-118.3143371

Also, since you'll be in the area, UCB (Upright Citizens Brigade) is pretty close -- perhaps two miles, at most. On Sundays they do a free improv comedy show at the Sunset theater (there are two theaters in LA, one on Franklin, one on Sunset). It's their signature show -- ASSSSCAT. It's phenomenal and highly recommended. The Saturday ASSSSCAT at Franklin is sold out weeks in advance. The Sunday one at Sunset starts at 7:00 but since it's popular (and free), I suggest getting in line no later than 5:00. If you're much later, you're likely to be turned away. Many people are -- sometimes even more than are allowed inside. I've been dozens of times and it's always a blast. Celebrity guests are common and performers are ones you may recognize from Silicon Valley and other shows.

Incidentally, my last girlfriend is from the Toronto area. Are you familiar with Dundas near Hamilton?

Hope this helps!
thanks for the tips, is the show appropriate for a 7 and 11 yr old girls?
Yup know the area your talking about, My girls were out there hiking today, as I sit at work.

I know you probably know, but for others, keep in mind you only get free parking when paying with points or if you booked a cash reservation with member services. If you booked independently, you will not get free parking, even as a DVC member.
yup lucked out and was able to snag 7 nights at 7 months on points. Only reason we are doing the trip. 1st time, plus we got 25%tickets for Canadians this year.

thanks for the tips, is the show appropriate for a 7 and 11 yr old girls?..

With a 7 and 11 yo, you might want to visit the Hollywood and Highland shopping center (located at the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland). You can get photos of the Hollywood sign from a photo op on an upper level, the Walk of Fame is right out front, the Dolby Theater is located there (home of the Academy Award Ceremony), Chinese Theater is next door, parking is validated (ask at any shop or restaurant). Your girls might enjoy a movie at Disney's El Capitan Theatre across the street (a grand, old movie house restored by Disney that only shows Disney movies) and ice cream at the Ghirardelli's next door. If your girls are into the American Girl dolls, there is a shop and cafe located at the Grove shopping center (upscale outdoor mall) not far away (on Fairfax). Next door to the Grove is the Farmer's Market -- fun place with lots of food stalls and shops and fairly consistent celebrity sightings. Then you could take Sunset (driving along the famous Strip and through Beverly Hills) on your way to Santa Monica.
Another fun place to view the Hollywood sign would be the Griffith Observatory. Then you could take your girls to the Griffith Park carousel where Walt used to take his girls every week. That is the carousel where he dreamed up the idea for Disneyland.
Just some thoughts...

Last edited:
I would hit the sign *early* like 8 AM then go to Santa Monica. Should be about an hour to the sign in the morning, then an hour to the beach at most because I’m sure you’ll hit traffic, then probably 90 minutes back to Disney.

I live in southern LA County, and traffic can be nothing to a parking lot.

thanks for the tips, is the show appropriate for a 7 and 11 yr old girls?
Yup know the area your talking about, My girls were out there hiking today, as I sit at work.

Usually it is -- I often see kids there. But since this is improv, nearly anything can happen. Often sex/swearing is introduced but not always. It simply depends on the direction of the show and the whims of the performers. But it'll be perhaps the best improv you'll ever see. This is the best of the best (usually).

Whatever car rental company you choose, make sure to join their rewards program beforehand. You get preferred check-in that can save you 15-20 min or more depending on how busy they are that day.

You can do it! LA driving is not that bad and will be mellow-ish on a Sunday. I second the plan suggested by theluckyrabbit. Or if you want to see Hollywood and the sign, etc without driving yourself, consider one of the Hollywood sightseeing bus tours. We recently did that for my 12 year old daughter’s birthday and loved it. If you start early you could still have time to drive to Santa Monica for an afternoon stroll and dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter